Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

Was watching the 2019 final there (what a day by the way!) and all the lower tiers and upper Cusack were open,I'd say they'll open upper Cusack again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

YeahI remember we had terrible seats in the corner at pitch level, and moved to good seats on the halfway line that were free 20 mins in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

Plenty of former intercounty players and managers around that don't appear to have any depth of tactical knowledge either. Or at least unable to speak about it comfortably. Scarily far from a given.

Amazing how much Eamon Fitzmaurice has stood out commentating recently for the insights he offers compared to the majority in the role. RTÉ struggling and scrambling to get close to the level of analysis the likes of McGuinness/Horan/Canavan were offering years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭CuriosityKilledtheCat

Held out and managed to get seats together in Hogan Stand (Section 330), wallet is lighter but I have happy kiddies😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I see "HoranBall©" made the Mayo News podcast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Yes I heard that too.

Thought it was a good podcast.

Thought McStay was very measured and realistic in his outlook of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

The team named is a strange one no durcan oshea at 11

Great seeing Cillian back on the bench, if he got through 15 mins at the end, the day would be worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Connacht Telegraph was right on their Cillian O'Connor info afterall.

He should be fit to start against Galway in 3 weeks. Other changes for that match Rob Hennelly,Diarmuid O'Conor and Paddy Durcan for Rory Byrne,Enda Hession and Jack Carney?

Paddy is injured.

That's the best team we could name with all the injuries and we somehow still have a very strong bench,credit has to go to Horan on that.

A lot of our key men missing,the biggest loss is probably Robbie,he's the best keeper in the country on form this year and we have nobody to take long range points/45s.Tapping the ball out uncontested to the fullback line like we did against kildare will be shut down from minute one,we'll miss Robbies kickouts and accuracy then aswell.

If you look at the direct replacements for Robbie,Paddy and DOC we have Bryne (good club keeper,not up to this level in my opinion)

Hession (lots of potential, lightening pace,not sure about his man marking capabilities or scoring threat,built for Croke park,could be a real coming of age for him tomorrow)

Loftus (much maligned when played out of position in midfield last year even though he was effective enough, had a bad final but at least he was taking on shots, hopefully can chip in with a few points tomorrow, a huge game for him too)

All in all we're weaker with the lads out,kerry have a full team and crucially want/need it more,I can't see past a kerry win unfortunately.

Coen at 3 will be madness if that's where he starts murphy done a Job on him against donegal he just not firing at all this yr.

Osheas position is on th Bench until the last 20 mins he is not a number 11.

With so many out its hard see a win

It's a great luxury to be in a position to bring Aido off the bench,we don't have that luxury when 4 of our other key men are out.

I agree Coen isn't in good form,I don't know who he's going to pick up but he won't be playing fb anyway.

I'd but kev mcloughlin at 11 even though he looks like hes tired from all the football over the yes.sub him them for oshea at half time or 10 mins in to the 2nd half.

Yeah I think it's a 50/50 between that and Aido starting. Either way we would have a Mayo legend to come off the bench,that's the difference between the now and other years where 14 of the team would be nailed on starters and we wouldn't have much coming off the bench.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Sean O'Shea is fairly certain to miss it I thought? Apart from that it's fairly full strength for them.

I think we're a few key injuries short to be in any way confident of a win but I think a lot of Kerry weaknesses haven't been exposed in the League.

We'll see how their defensive improvement holds up on a decent day in CP. We should dominate the middle but it will be relatively easy for them to keep us/ROD quiet, we're missing real scoring threats.

We might be reliant on goals stemming from middle third breaks/runs to keep us in/slightly edge it.

One thing for sure, if we were to win with all the injuries, it would be some boost.

That's the problem keep rod out of the game where in big bother for scores,no durcan bombing up the sideline to tap one over.

In saying all that I'd not risk any of them tomorrow if it ment a better chance if having a full team for galway,there is no doubt about it they will definitely be waiting for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Mayodad

On a different note, I saw details of the under 20 game v Galway advertised on line and thought it would be a nice way to spend a Wednesday evening. Nice thought until I saw the price...... €15 for technically a first round game. Does the connacht gaa council actually know what is happening in the economy at the moment! Both Galway and Mayo supporters and families giving to Croker tomorrow supporting the senior teams, and spending the guts of at least €200 per family or about €100 for an adult individual.

Two games in the plush surroundings of Croke park tomorrow is only 40% dearer or €12.50 per game, and you get to see the two finals in 2nd most prestigious competition in them football calender. I know the dome cost a lot if money when built but I did read that it's running costs are very low so that should not be an excuse for charging €15 a head.

Sorry Mr Prenty & Co. but this clearly stinks of a case of screwing the hand that feeds you and I will not attend for that reason alone.

Rant over!

Pissed off GAA supporter.

I thought Sean o shea was definitely out aswell but he's named on their bench.

• Advertisement

From what we've seen all year I'd expect to see Carney keeping the spot ahead of Loftus... but Horan rewards training well so whichever of the few excel there in the next few weeks (O'Conner, Carney, Loftus, McLoughlin, Boland [I'm assuming Walsh and McStay out of contention with injuries] all offer something a bit different to each other too so horses for courses playing a part) they'd still have a good chance of claiming it.

Loftus does offer a scoring threat from play a little further out than a lot of other forwards. It'd be no harm seeing him exorcise a few of the ghosts from the final last year. He's an awful lot better than he showed against Tyrone. A quiet enough league campaign, big day in Croker could be just what he needs to spark.

A lot of potential for Eoghan McLoughlin (if fully fit) or Enda Hession starting too, both with exceptional pace that'll be helped to shine with the new larger pitch in MacHale Park. Stephen Coen (poor league campaign) or Michael Plunkett (looked rocky early in the Dublin game but then exploded when McGarry got pulled off and has played incredibly well since from the games I've seen - not sure how Kildare went for him personally) the most likely for giving way to changes there.

A lot will depend on the specific match ups they're going for against Galway. It's something we've struggled with numerous times early in games this year but shouldn't be any shocks against a Galway side we know so well.

Yeah, wouldn't pay too much heed to numbers anymore.

Kerry will likely be playing 2 inside, Clifford and Geaney (or Brosnan). With O'Brien dropping back to wing forward (using the term loosely, he and Moynihan are pseudo wing backs while Mayo are in possession and breaking and running hard, same as we try to do. And to be fair to Talley and O'Conner they seem to have them working fierce hard at it to excellent results), Spillane dropping back to midfield, Barry dropping back to 6 and Tadhg Morley freed up to play his sweeper role.

The big question in that scenario will be do we go for our own sweeper to try and put manners on Clifford, try to overload midfield to cut off the supply or if we push someone up on Morley to get in his face. Where the majority of Mayo lads outside of 1, 8 and 9 end up operating for most of the game is questionable enough with switches and counter switches between two similar setups. Could be a super tactical battle on a decent day in Croker. Was hard to appreciate the tactics with the conditions in Kerry.

Couldn't even guess which role there they'd give to Stephen. Picking up the slower of O'Brien and Moynihan? He'd have the engine to stick with them for the game, just not sure how the pace would stack up for those match ups. Could also be the sweeper to chill in front of Clifford and up the pressure on the lads sending it in if we intended going that direction.

Have to imagine he's looking over his shoulder if Paddy Durcan and Eoghan McLoughlin are fit for the Galway game. Hasn't had a good run in the league so far and could do with a solid performance here.

It also begs the question if everyone assumes they know how Kerry will setup, they've been the most consistent team tactically all league even with major personnel adjustments along the way, is this the game O'Conner might spring a surprise and mix things up a bit to keep everyone second guessing come Championship crunch games. I wouldn't expect it, this is his chance to fine tune that system they've worked so hard on, though you never know.

Delighted to see Cillian O'Conner and Darren McHale making the bench along with Eoghan McLoughlin coming back in again. It has been a hell of an injury ridden year so far. Fantastic to think we're prepping for a final given how many of the lads have been out long term and picking up knocks along the way.

Surprised to see Dylan Casey and Tony Brosnan dropped for Kerry. Thought Casey had played well enough since coming in for the injured O'Donoghue to earn the start but I'd imagine that's mostly a tactical change for Graham O'Sullivan who's more comfortable further up the field to follow Ryan/Jason when dropping off. Brosnan has looked on fire all year, college or Kerry. Half expecting him to come in before throw-in for Geaney again tomorrow if his fitness is right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Due to a change of circumstances I have to get the train after the game instead of a lift. The last train from connolly to sligo doesn't have the option to buy tickets online. Same with the late train leaving heuston.

Does anyone know if that means it's sold out?

Yeah, that's how they show up when they are sold out alright. Probably a fair bit of overflow there from other game folks.

Depending where you're heading to would any of the bus routes work?

There's an 8p.m. heading to Sligo or a 9p.m. and 11p.m. heading to Ballina/Foxford/Swinford/Charlestown/Ballaghaderreen. They'd all be looking at getting in pretty late though so not ideal if they're not a short taxi ride home from those stops.

(There's normally a bit of flexibility with the trains to account for folks with monthly returns, who are ticket exempt like the Free Travel Pass or have some of the odd tourist type "trekker" tickets. If the train is definitely the best solution might be worth chancing your arm on getting an accommodating ticket agent who'd sell you a standing spot only (no idea what sort of flexibility they have on their end for that, could end in a "computer says no" situation).)

If you were to hit up the likes of MidWest/Mayo News/Willie Joe/AhRef/etc. with where you were looking to get to tonight a fair chance you'd find someone genuine and willing to offer a lift, it's a great aul' community. We've all been in situations like that and know the stress of last minute change of plans. That said, between Covid and the one in a <insert number depending on how cynical you are> of getting a weirdo replying could be enough to put you off that one. Understandably enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Cheers. Thanks very much. I'll chance the train but at least the bus is a fall back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

In an unexpected turn of fortunate events I'm actually in Croker atm at a corporate sponsorship gig.

Not overly confident about Mayo today tbh but looking forward to seeing a good match either way.

Watching Galway and the Rossies warming up now....no sign of Shane Walsh...is he due back anytime soon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Big day for whichever of the forwards ends up on White, they'll need to do a lot of tracking.

Not too worried about Coen, he's a big game player and I think he won't let us down today.

Re Byrne, while he's not as good as Hennelly, our midfield should have the edge today so if he's under pressure, he should just be able to go long and let Ruane/Flynn compete for it.

The big question is where our scores are going to come from, ROD will manage 6-7, midfield and backs will get another 3-4 so we'll need another 7-8 from the remaining forwards to win. I don't think we have the players to kick that from play so we're going to need at least 1 goal, maybe 2 to win. I'll go for doc and one of the subs to get goals and mayo to win by 2

Roscommon well on top since half time.... could have had a couple of goals

Oisín out Brickendon in

Why is Brickenden in for Mullin ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

• Advertisement

6 points probably a fair reflection, lucky enough that it's only 1 goal conceded

Yep...Kerry could have had a few goals in fairness...tearing us apart every time.

Mayo looking very leggy/lethargic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

I think it’s fair to say we are lacking pace in the backs with all the absentees !

We Just never capitalize when small breaks come or way

WTF was Loftus at when the ball hit the post and came back to him ?

Couple of minutes later our keeper blocks , ball up in air and they fist in for a goal.

We would have tried to catch it and kick it in . And then they we were unlucky

Same in AI final . Not ruthless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Getting embarrassing now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Rubbish. Too slow, awful decision making and zero composure in front of goal or posts.

No runners off shoulders, zero imagination

Cillian coming back is a bright spark, as it means we won't have to see Orme at a level he is not ready for just yet (I'm trying to be nice).

First ball that came off the post, Doherty had his back completely turned to it, wasn't ready at all. Poor from him with his experience, I thought.

Very very poor. Beaten all over the field really. Carr probably one of the few to emerge with any credit.

Hope a few of the injuries clear up in the next few weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

That's why I hate league finals :o Big **** reality check that for the boys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

That was very poor. A lot of aspects at our play not near the level they should have been for that game. Passing was bad, our kickouts were poor too. Haven’t seen the full time stats but Kerry were 100% on their own kickouts at half time where had conceded 4 from our 13.

i didn’t expect anything from the game given the ever lengthening injury list but I was certainly hoping for better today.

Kind of felt it was going to be ugly with the injury list growing and it was apparent within the first 10 minutes that we weren't at the pitch of it at all. Thought we seriously lacked pace at the back. Stephen Coen's form has been awful the entire league and it's a bit of an elephant in the room at this stage - dunno if Horan has the guts to drop him since he's captain. Midfield struggled badly at times too and the injury to Jordan Flynn looked concerning, though he did eventually walk off so hopefully not as bad as it looked. The lack of conviction and penetration up front is a persistent problem that isn't going to be solved this year unfortunately. Orme isn't ready physically for this level yet. Jack Carney a year or two off too.

Only positives were the return of Cillian and Carr was decent I thought.

Hopefully the return of key players for the Galway game will make a difference but I don't think the forward problem is going to be solved this year to seriously compete for an All Ireland.

Byrne showed he is a capable deputy for Hennelly

Plunkett kicked two good scores

Cillian back

That’s all the positives

Huge question marks over Horans in game management again too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭2018na

del for o’hora. Shut your mouth and play football

Thought some of Byrne's kickouts were wobbly and he shouldn't have come off his line for the first goal imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Bad day at the head office for Mayo. Probably the worse defensively performance for a number of years.

• Advertisement

Hard to say for sure who was marking who from watching on TV but I think Hession switched to P Clifford in the 2nd half and seemed to do okay on him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

No doubt this thread will have a number of new visitors this evening.

I don't think it was a reality check, I think they knew what to expect all day long.

Kerry have been playing with a full deck since the first day of the McGrath Cup, and they were not going to change that today.

Mayo on the other hand had done nothing but experiment throughout the league, many times out of necessity because of injuries.

I actually think Mayo's appearance in this final was a foregone conclusion once they beat Dublin.

That's a game they have not won in years and it was two points in the bag they have not had for years, so even the loses to Kerry and Tyrone did not hamper them.

They could have got to that final losing to Kildare.

So they were in the final and a bit like a mule with a spinning wheel, danged if they knew how they got there and danged if they knew what to do with it.

And they played that way, they tried what they tried and hopefully have learned something from it.

Put it this way.

Who would you prefer to be ?

The team that didn't really care about the final who got hammered, or the team who really wanted to get to and win the final that lost by a point.

I know which I'd be happier with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Avon8

It really was humiliation on his part. The entire country was watching the messing and sledging and hoping he got embarrassed. Clifford duly obliged

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

Terrible analagy. Who do you prefer to be. The team that got bitch whipped worse than our worst John maughan final or the team that won. There was no team that lost by a point today. Foolish idealisation of a Team and management team that owes more to their fans. Losing by 15 points and the supporters not even offered a refund going out the gate. Heard it first here. Horan to Blame. Horan to go... Mid season, I don't give a damn. We played better the day his kids were being confirmed. (Having) No manager > current manager.

• Advertisement
Advertisement