Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Long Distance Driving - Economical and Comfort

• 02-04-2022 11:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I will be commuting 250km total journey everyday (Dublin to Newry) for a new role for the next 2 years. On average, including weekend driving, I'll probably be doing around 1,500km per week of driving.

I have a 171 Audi A4 at the moment which I like but I am trying to sell it now due to the high mileage on it already. I'm looking for a car that will be economical on fuel and comfortable to drive (has to have cruise control!). I am looking at Audi's (A4, A5 or A6), BMW's (4 series) and Skoda's (Octavia's) for the time being but I am hoping the kind folk of boards.ie might be able to offer some recommendations or advice? I'd preferably like to opt for an Audi, BMW or Skoda, but I am open to suggestions of course. Don't mind downgrading in size either. Only car I do not fancy are Passat's! My budget can stretch to €28k.

Be great to hear from people as well who are commuting long distances at the moment and what they are driving and the pro's and con's of the vehicle.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

I have an ID.3 Tour and do that commute but not everyday. Twice a week for now. It does the return journey easily even in winter and has driver assist which is super on the motorway. Only problem is it’s not available to order right now but if I were you I’d seriously consider electric. Your savings on fuel would easily meet the repayments. You’d need to be able to install a home charger though. Forget it if you don’t have a driveway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Does the 28k include what you get for the A4 or is it 28k plus whatever you get for the A4?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I’d stick with the Audi. Sounds like the perfect machine for this commute. If already has high mileage you’ve already taken a lot of the depreciation hit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Skoda Superb 2.0 TDI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Irish94

€28k would include what I get for the Audi A4. Realistically at a push, I could extend this to €30k total but I'd prefer not too.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I looked this up! Certainly pricey, but like you said would save a lot on fuel I'd imagine. Have a driveway too so could install a home charger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭1percent

Can I ask what the concern with Passats is? Skoda and Audi of the same class would be the same chassis, block, transmission, ect. Just curious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

A 171 Audi A4 is not far off a mid 20s car so are you looking at upgrading a year or so or going new? I'm guessing total budget is 28k so you'll only either go up a year max or down in mileage a bit if you stick with bmw or audi. Octavia will allow you a much newer car than the other options. But you'll depreciate the hell out of anything you buy. I'd stick with what you have and buy again when that devil of a commute is done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Used car prices are mental these days. I don't think 28k is going to get you much in the way of a better or newer car than what you have right now other than maybe something with slightly less mileage. Yes you could get an Octavia which is a grand car but I'd say you will notice the difference in quality and refinement over your A4.

What mileage is on your A4? Just looked up prices there 30k will only get you into a lower mileage 2017 if you go for a5 or a6 or a 4 series, 2018 if you go a4. It will get you a 2021 octavia, so there's your tradeoff. As for which you want, or to keep what you have, that's up to you

This is the problem, do I depreciate the hell out of a newer model car that I purchase or continue to drive the A4 into the ground. I got it valued in two independent dealers in the last month for a trade in, just to see what they'd give me for it and one dealer offered €19k for it and the other offered €18.5k for it so with that valuation in mind for my own car I set the budget of €28-€30k if I were to purchase a new car.

Either way, it looks like a lose-lose situation. Sadly, I'll depreciate the value of any car regardless if it is my current car or another I decide to buy.

It's tricky to know what to do!

No concern with Passat's, just don't like the look of them is all.

• Advertisement

If you are looking at those kind of trade in figures, forget about it. Keep the a4 well serviced and no reason it shouldnt serve you well. It's motorway miles too, won't be too much wear on brakes, suspension. Keep an eye on tyres too. I'd stick with what you have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭pale rider

+1 Stick with what you have but if you must change consider a low mileage e220d, I drive cross country and it cruises along at 105 Kph in 9th gear at under 1050 revs with cruise control set, tis very easy in fuel.

Yeah sticking with what you have is probably best option. It’s a tough commute though. Look after your back! I used to do it in a Mercedes’ C200. Was terrible for the back.

Thanks for all the advice everyone, very much appreciated! Makes sense to stick with the A4 I suppose. Safe driving to all!

Yeah it's the right tool for the job too, nice motorway cruiser and should be reasonably economical. You will depreciate it heavily of course but no point shelling out money upfront to depreciate something else just as heavily. Assuming you are happy to keep the A4 and aren't just looking to change, that's a different discussion altogether!

If I was faced with your travel over next 2 years I'd stick with my A6 as long as it was behaving itself then look at changing afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

I don't understand people's fear of high mileage on relatively new cars

If the car is serviced well and driven well it should easily have a life of 400,000km +

I have an s90, 2017, 180,000 miles (NI based) and I expect to keep it for another 2-3 years which will be circa 300,000 miles.

Hopefully the car shortage will be sorted by then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

So at 6l/100km and 1.90 a litre it's roughly 14,500 over 2 years for fuel.

Stick with what you have and start saving the repayments you would have made into an account to give a deposit for the next car. 400 a month will give you almost 10k in 2 years time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

why not consider taking the train, if that's an option? that commute in a car would drive me bananas.

if you were able to get a taxsaver ticket, it'd net cost about €2k p.a.; you'd be spending double that in fuel alone in the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Stick with the car you have, an audi is one of the better cars in the market for comfort so perfect for the driving.

You will spend a lot of money to buy a car and then put high mileage on it. Why not keep the one you have an just put high mileage on it. Keep it fully serviced with a garage and all information on the service and it will sell. The problem with a lot of higher mileage cars is people stop keeping record on them and people have no information on what was fixed etc. Even a high mileage car will sell if it has service history

When you do change, put strong consideration into an ev. Not needing to stop at fuel stations is the business. They are far more convenient and quieter. As well as being cheaper to run.

oh and ability to preheat for your departure time is so handy too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Ya and in 5 years the game will have moved on and current EVs abilities will be prehistoric.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Stick with what you have.. my (2010) A6 was traded in last year with 410,000km on the clock (about 200k of those mine) and I was doing 1200/1300km a week of motorway miles pre-Covid.

Just get it serviced on time/regularly by a reputable mechanic and it'll be fine - although I will say that the 3.0 TDI in it (and my previous/subsequent car) makes that sort of driving a lot smoother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Agree with everyone that says keep with what you have.

You have already taken the deperecition hit. No point in trading in and doing monster miles on something else.

Keep it serviced and will should keep going.

My A6 gets me 5.2l/100km on fuel at 100kph on decent motorway journeys.

Advertisement