Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

Second largest economy in the world getting preferential treatment... God help us when they are Developed. 😏

I'm sure they'll be grateful for the preferential treatment as they laugh their arses off.

If Putin had any balls he'd put that teacher in charge of his military. At least he'd be told the truth.

Just had a thought, when reporting along the chain of command are the military legally ALLOWWED to tell the truth or are they subject to the same risk as the teacher?

Crazy if you think about it, but...

GENERAL. We are retreating from Kyiv, after taking heavy casualties.

PUTIN. Thank you for your informative report, Sergey. But, you have also broken the law and are hereby sentenced to 15 years in prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

People making excuses for China just like people made excuses for Russia 3 months ago.

We're fooling ourselves with the China will not get involved rhetoric.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭brickster69

Ukraine asks Slovenia to remove it's flag from Kiev's embassy because it looks similar to Russia's flag. 🤦‍♂️

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

A product of their culture and it's narrative and propaganda. The kids feel and have been primed to think they're Doing The Right Thing. As the Jesuits said; give me the boy I'll give you the man. Fifty years ago if she was a teacher in an Irish school and came out with accusations against the church of child abuse etc, the kids would likely tell their parents and the poo would hit the propellor. Now she wouldn't have gone to gaol of course, but she'd almost certainly have lost her job. Today if she made the same accusations she'd likely be universally praised for exposing the sins of that institution. I don't blame the kids, I blame he cultural and political landscape they've been born into.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

What exactly are Russians angling at when they keep going on about 15000 people killed in Donbas over the last 8 years.

Are they trying to make out the Ukrainians killed all those people?

Are they trying to say the west ignored that conflict so why are they getting their knickers in a twist now? ( stupid argument although fair criticism to say what the west done since 2014 was outright weak ass appeasement)

But the Donbas and crimea conflict is entirely the fault of the Russians too is it not.

How can they use it in their defence so much?

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

I obviously meant involved militarily.

China may well have done some "cyber" assisting at the outset but like many, it's likely they've also had the wool pulled over their eyes by Putin who would have indicated it was a short in and out job in separatist regions.

You wont see any military assistance from China whatsoever as the results would cripple them, in addition to being the precursor to another World War. It's my belief that this conflict will die a slow death and Russia will settle at the negotiating table the moment they've secured the regions in the east. That's not to say that Putin wont still be a massive danger in the future if he remains in power as he'll believe in his mind that there's "unfinished business".

• Registered Users Posts: 16,335 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Their (largely baseless) claim is that 'ethnic Russians' in those regions were oppressed prior to Russian intervention.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭sjb25

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭Comer1

"Very scummy thing to do."

As a secondary school teacher, those Russian teenagers turning in their teacher doesn't surprise me one bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

List of companies that are still operating in Russia: https://yale.app.box.com/s/11lqy1d3yn1kf9xa3r96k9sb6w5m4qea

Please check especially if you plan to buy some electronics - quite a few PC/mobile phone conpanies are in the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I read it couldnt happen from the US as any arms sale needs an export license to be approved by Congress and them voting for that would effectively be the US entering the war. They already scuppered the Poland to Ukraine MiG deal so its not happening.

This in relation to Sean Penn calling on billionaires yesterday to crowdfund and buy Ukraine a squadron of fighter jets. I had to check it wasnt an April Fools gag but he was deadly serious. More than likely the idea came from Zelensky himself as Penn is close to Zelensky, he has been working with him filming a documentary on Ukraine for Vice. Zelensky facilitated him filming on the front lines in Donbas last November and he allowed Penn to film a war cabinet meeting in Kyiv just two days before the Russian invasion began. Given Penns good timing and access to Zelensky the documentary still in production is now considered hot property, they're expecting a bidding war between Amazon and Netflix to secure the rights to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭jmreire

Shrewder or not, when Covid shut down China the whole world stopped as well. So if China has that kind of power its beyond serious, and it has not started already, its high time the west weaned itself of Chinese products. Its gotten far too big for its boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

The Russians really take us for thick gullible paddies.

Back to their cave hopefully when this is all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

2.5m refugees in Poland. 600k got PESEL (Polish PPS) that allows to tap into financial help, start work, etc.

I got a first hand relation from a friend that worked in Russia in 2014 that even highly educated Russians live in a parallel universe. "We're good, the USA is evil, it's all their fault. We just want to help". It was around the time of euromaidan in Kyiv when Ukrainians kicked out pro-putin government. I lost hope that the war will be stopped by civilian actions in Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭jmreire

Ah, hard to bate the good auld reliable IED's in all their variations !!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Kerry Group the most notable one there

And Kingspan too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

how much of the East can Russia expect to conquer? Mariupol to Kharkiv for a few months? then what

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭technocrat

You would hope the Irish media do their job and name and shame these 2 companies.

Might be time to fire off some emails to RTE, Newstalk etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

This rather puts the Russian twisting of facts in perspective:

26 is around the death toll from the hollowed out regional administrative building in Mykolaiv, to put those 2020 figures into perspective (27).

I can't make much sense of this. I presume it's an attack on mainly civillians? Protesters?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Any chance you could post the list in a text version? I'm not a fan of opening random files from the Internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭JoChervil

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭JoChervil

You want to believe it. It is far from reality as I experienced opposite reaction personally in Ireland. It only depends to how strong opponent atm you are acting against. You are not so developed as you would like to think.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well given that after Rome fell in the western empire, Constantinople continued on as Rome in the east(which we in Western Europe tend to ignore), and after it fell nearly a thousand years later many Romans(they didn't call themselves Byzantines) left for the north and Russia, bringing with them many influences. Moscow's nickname is "The Third Rome". So history may well repeat itself alright.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

There have been quite a few stories of Russians refusing to fight, the most recent is around 1,000 Russian national guard refusing to be deployed. There's also been a couple of mutinies we know of, at least one (or possibly two) whereby Russian troops ran over their commander injuring him. Ukrainians seem to have quite a few Russian POWs, the "exchange rates" are typically very high (exchanging captured Russians for captured Ukrainians). Russians are also abandoning their equipment and vehicles in large numbers, so far, it's been visually confirmed that the Russians have allowed around over 1,000 separate vehicles and pieces of equipment to be captured (or abandoned them), it basically means the Ukrainian military is technically larger now than it was at the start of the war (from independent visually confirmed reports they are capturing more than they are losing)

We are fairly certain that at least 10k Russian soldiers are dead as of just over a week ago (the Russians let it slip in their press) and there's a decent number of injured, possibly in the 10's of thousands. Over 350 main battle tanks lost or captured. Keep in mind though that's out of 200k invasion force, so 10% to 15% reduction in fighting power, split across multiple fronts. Morale seems to be bad on the Russian side, but don't think it's enough to cause any significant collapse myself. The first month has been bad for them, but they are digging in more now and I very much doubt they'll keep making the same errors.

I'd guess the Russia M.O. for dispersing protests seems to be gunfire (in the air) and flashbangs, for now (which is what happened in Kherson)

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement