Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AirBnB and COVID19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

biko wrote: »
    If you don't want to pay 160 (or 83) for an apartment for a family per night, then don't.
    That is how supply and demand market works.

Market has changed though. There's now a captive market since the Government is telling people they can't go to cheaper alternatives. That's the point...

At some point people are going to say f*ck it and just go anyway. Others might also be tempted into making bad decisions by booking a holiday within Ireland that they can't really afford just because they don't see an alternative.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Market has changed though. There's now a captive market since the Government is telling people they can't go to cheaper alternatives. That's the point...

At some point people are going to say f*ck it and just go anyway. Others might also be tempted into making bad decisions by booking a holiday within Ireland that they can't really afford just because they don't see an alternative.

Where are the cheaper alternatives? I don't think anywhere that is charging less than 83 euro a night for a family is going to be up to much anywhere in Europe and not a chance in the US.

83 is not expensive at all for a family, I wouldn't even consider it expensive for a couple. Holidaying in Ireland really gets some seriously bad press and its mostly not true, and holidays aboard is made out to be a lot cheaper than it actually is also when everything is taken into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,703 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Are students coming back to Galway in the same numbers? % compared to last year?

Where are the cheaper alternatives? I don't think anywhere that is charging less than 83 euro a night for a family is going to be up to much anywhere in Europe and not a chance in the US.

83 is not expensive at all for a family, I wouldn't even consider it expensive for a couple. Holidaying in Ireland really gets some seriously bad press and its mostly not true, and holidays aboard is made out to be a lot cheaper than it actually is also when everything is taken into account.

Sorry, I missed this when it was posted. You'd get a villa\apartment in somewhere like Zakynthos or Fuerteventura for far less. Though, the prices in Fuerteventura have been going up with more people opted to go there rather than the more crowded islands now.

It's been a few years since I've been to Fuerteventura but my brother was there last year with his family. He rented out two adjoining apartments for 10 nights. It was far less than 83 euro a night for each.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

zell12 wrote: »
    Are students coming back to Galway in the same numbers? % compared to last year?

http://www.nuigalway.ie/alert/

Says on student accomodation section that it is fully booked out on Campus.

• Advertisement

Daft.ie report shows average rents in the city have increased by 2% year-on-year and now stand at €1,323pm in July.
    https://connachttribune.ie/galway-city-rents-continue-to-rise-despite-impact-of-covid-19/

Daft.ie report shows average rents in the city have increased by 2% year-on-year and now stand at €1,323pm in July.
    https://connachttribune.ie/galway-city-rents-continue-to-rise-despite-impact-of-covid-19/

Of course it has.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭finbarrk

€83 per night for an apartment in Galway in August is good value.

Daft report
    Single bedroom average in the city centre €459pm, +18% compared to the same time last year. A centre double room is €524pm, +12%,
    In suburbs, a single room €417pm, +12%. While a double room is now €464pm, +5%
    https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/galway-students-facing-15-percent-increase-in-rents/

I find it remarkable that we're nearing November. The number of properties available for rent is still at least 5 times higher than it was before COVID hit. Probably actually much higher since many of the postings are for multiple apartments and yet the asking price remains high.

Something's gotta give.

I fear the landlords are going to be propped up throughout COVID, so they are willing to wait it out and keep the price inflated in hopes they can continue to increase rent at the same rate during and post COVID.

Free market would dictate more supply = more competition = lower pricing. Not happening. If the virus p1sses off and these landlords are allowed to just go right back to AirBnB for months on end, it'll be a right slap to the face for young people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,891 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I fear the landlords are going to be propped up throughout COVID, ....

Free market would dictate more supply = more competition = lower pricing. Not happening. If the virus p1sses off and these landlords are allowed to just go right back to AirBnB for months on end, it'll be a right slap to the face for young people.

Who is propping landlords up?

We don't have a free market. Property owners who put up property for rent are subject to extensive controls. Right now, they cannot even evict tenants who don't pay any rent, or whose anti-social behaviour terrorises the neighbours. (The latter is particularly galling: they are regarded as responsible by the PRTB, but cannot do a fr*gging thing about it.) Even outside of COVID-times, the process of evicting non-paying tenants is gruesome.

Can you really not see why they don't want divert properties from short-term non tenancy lets back to long term?

(And I say that as a tenant!)

Who is propping landlords up?

We don't have a free market. Property owners who put up property for rent are subject to extensive controls. Right now, they cannot even evict tenants who don't pay any rent, or whose anti-social behaviour terrorises the neighbours. (The latter is particularly galling: they are regarded as responsible by the PRTB, but cannot do a fr*gging thing about it.) Even outside of COVID-times, the process of evicting non-paying tenants is gruesome.

Can you really not see why they don't want divert properties from short-term non tenancy lets back to long term?

(And I say that as a tenant!)

Banks and Government. There are over 4,500 properties in Ireland where there has been no mortgage repayments made in 10 years. There are still thousands of empty buildings around the country and not nearly enough social housing. The City Council said they had no resources to enforce law changes for short term rentals.

My dad was a landlord and had problems with a non-paying tenant, alright. It was terrible but those tenants are the exception, not the rule. You are a tenant yourself, do you not pay your rent and destroy your place? Have you ever?

Apparently, when there is less demand for short term rentals in the city the landlords are fine to deal with the extensive controls you talk about....

Banks and Government.
    The prevailing thought is:
    A fall in house prices would dent asset wealth, lower borrowing capacity of homeowners, and undermine investment in productive parts of the economy.
    It would relieve pressure on those suffering from lower real wages, unemployment and rising rent.

Who do you think is more valued by society the economy?

Rents in Galway city have risen by almost 5% in the past year, a new daft.ie report has revealed.
    https://www.galwaydaily.com/news/housing/average-rents-in-galway-city-and-county-revealed-in-new-daft-ie-report/

214 Room to Share
    125 House/Apt
    14/12/2020

Seemed when students came back the numbers hadn't adjusted as much as they seem to have now. Hard to tell if it's due to a purge caused by Daft re-designing their site or possibly property owners shifting back to AirBnB and Trip Advisor for short term rentals over the holidays.

Rents in Galway city overtake Cork city as second highest nationwide
    Between Q2 and Q3 of 2020, average rents in Galway city increased from €1,169 to €1,269 –increase of 8.5%.
    In the county, the Connemara South electoral district has highest rents at €1,043pm, Athenry at €1,023pm and Gort/Kinvara at €950pm

It's mad isn't it? Supply and demand seems to have damn all to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Ludikrus

Folks were saying 10 months the greedy Landlords would be begging for tenants lol.

Ludikrus wrote: »
    Folks were saying 10 months the greedy Landlords would be begging for tenants lol.

There are now over 5,000 properties for which no mortgage repayments have been made for over 10 years. There's very little risk for landlords.

Rents still rising
    In the past year,
    average cost to rent in Galway City +4.6% to €1,370
    average cost of a room, city centre +20.9% to €469, city suburbs +18.9% to €441.

Threshold say lack of one-bedroom accommodation and the exodus of workers from Dublin due to C-19 have contributed
    https://ww1.daft.ie/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Q4-2020-Rental-Report.pdf

• Advertisement

Rents still rising

The bit about a lack of one bed apartments is strange for Galway. The city has never really had many one bed apartments.

Interesting to see some property companies with a good few rentals listed who typically don't have much in the way of rentals. One of which had told me before they only usually manage rentals as a favor to property owners who they do a lot of business with...

They mean demographics are changing, there are more singletons than before, and new strangers in shared tenancies are not exactly kosher in these times

There is more 'staycations' this year. I assume more are taking advantage and turning Airbnb.
    Anyone else notice this?
    https://www.airdna.co/vacation-rental-data/app/ie/default/galway/overview

There is more 'staycations' this year. I assume more are taking advantage and turning Airbnb.
    Anyone else notice this?
    https://www.airdna.co/vacation-rental-data/app/ie/default/galway/overview

Not in the city but where I'm living a few of my neighbors who ran their own AirBnBs before the pandemic have been back at it over the last few months. A few who never did it before have started too. So far it's a mix. The first couple of weeks it was mostly staycationers. Over the last few weeks it has been mostly people from the North and England.

Pretty predictable but a quick check, a few months from now AirBnB outside of the holiday times, before peak tourist season and before the end of the college term showing 128 properties available in Galway City. Currently, Daft has 24.

2014: average monthly rent in Galway City €828

2021: average monthly rent in Galway City €1475

45 Rooms to Share

17 Houses/Apt

24/03/2022

60 properties on AirBnB for next weekend and that is obviously short notice so likely to be more already booked and thus not available at the moment. Bonkers that the Council are doing feck all about it still.

AirBnB types flouting law, as it is “a very difficult area to effectively enforce”

They should outsource the evidence gathering, fine the offenders and pay the outsourced company the fines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

That article would suggest that the existing regulations aren't good enough. The amount of admin work needed to sort a fairly low number of cases seems out of whack.

Advertisement