Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

Well the statement "the people are waking up" indicates that you consider yourself more advanced than the people who haven't "woken up" since you are awake and they are asleep. Perhaps you and others are wrong about your superior intellect and the people are already "awake".

• Registered Users Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

more personal remarks, great….:) We shall see at the next election:) but again who go vote for ? Be fûcked if I know… be awake to the problem… but have a way to fix are very different propositions ..

Ah now I see why there's no candidates being elected to suit you, an X on a ballot would be a spoiled vote under PR-STV.

So, literally, you're doing it wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

To Bubblypop

The Balkin refugees did not have the same welfare ,access to employment and we’re housed in asylum centres not much incentive to stay .

40k expected to come by the end of April . I have seen 100k and some claims of 200k would be 4% of the population. When this war ends Ireland could have taken more than its share for the size of the population. Where is the disinformation it’s been reported on msm .

Post edited by rgossip30 on

Neither Leo nor Simon have granny flats out the back.

We are part of the EU, as part of the EU we take refugees under the same regulations as other states.

If other states find themselves overwhelmed, then it is our duty to step in and take more. I'm not sure why anyone would think it's fair to leave countries such as Poland, Slovakia, Hungary to carry all the burden.

• Advertisement

The numbers are in excess of what you believe we should be taking.Those figures are possibilities, not targets. As I said before 15,000 refugees here, out if 10 million displaced people is nothing.

I'm not sure why you are downplaying the affect conflict in a country has on the population, nor why you think they should stay there because the conflict hasn't spread to the whole country yet. Most people just want the best for their families.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Looking at the resources available to the people, Ukraine has plenty of resources and some of the best farmland in Europe, if not the World. Throughout history Ukraine has been known as the breadbasket of Europe.

The use of that land is population density and looking at figures from 2018, the population density of Ireland was actually greater than that of Ukraine. Meaning Ireland is more 'full up' than Ukraine.

List of countries and dependencies by population density - Wikipedia

Ireland being 146th on the 2018 list and Ukraine 147th. As is widely known by the dogs on the street in Ireland FG and FF have added hundreds of thousands to Ireland's population since then, some official, some not. (Don't bother asking me to put a number on it since your own Government department can't)

So there would be little excuse for the nationalists of Ukraine not to return to their homeland once it is secure. There is work to be done. I imagine these are hard working resourceful people tied to the land, who have had to endure demoralisation under various Marxist regimes that have held them back. Same could be said of many Russian people. We, in Western Europe have unfortunately had a taste of this in recent decades ourselves.

What a lot of people are overlooking is that many will attempt to stay here.

return to a country that shares a massive 400 plus kilometre border with another massive militarised nuclear state that invaded and attacked them, just because ?

Or stay here where excellent benefits, housing, opportunity, safety and security are guaranteed… a superior quality of life. Without cost.

they are 3000 kilometres away from the Russian / Ukrainian border… have free healthcare, cash, housing and their safety guaranteed….and in time employers falling all over themselves to welcome them into the jobs market.

id be doing all I could if I was Ukrainian to remain here quite frankly…

Try and move to the Ukraine tomorrow and avail of the social supports they receive , you’d quickly find that you’d be treated differently to them.

that’s not morally wrong as you don’t pay tax there, they don’t pay it here… so it is not morally wrong to expect that they are not treated and enabled with the same levels of supports and entitlements as we are.

the UN estimate that the Ukraine will lose about 20% of its current population by 2050

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭jmreire

Yes, and its often something that I've done myself, and advised others to do too. Don't feel that any of the candidates are acting in your best interests? Spoil the vote. Because spoiled votes are counted too. I've met many people after an election ( especially one with a low turnout) who have said " I didn't vote, I would not vote for any of them, there all a shower of chancers) etc. etc. But still could not be bothered to vote against them with a spoiled vote. Maybe they don't realize that's how it works. And Politicians counter a low turnout with " The People are happy with us, they don't want change!!! "

• Advertisement

Well put…

and as this is going on Irish people are having benefits, travel cards, etc. removed to pay for it.

temporary accommodation should have been the way forward…basic modular homes on state land… repurposing old hospitals and healthcare facilities and in time they’d be suitable for Irish homeless etc.

As is widely known by the dogs on the street in Ireland FG and FF have added hundreds of thousands to Ireland's population since then, some official, some not. (Don't bother asking me to put a number on it since your own Government department can't)

Funniest thing I've read today

"They're counted" in the sense of "fyi, this is how many we're throwing in the bin, moving on...."

A spoiled vote is nothing more than that and means nothing more than that to anyone. Want to make a statement, vote for a candidate, want to be dismissed and ignored, spoil the vote.

Nothing more can be read into a spoiled vote other than its spoiled. Only nutters and conspiracy theorists think more is inferred from spoiling.

The very nature of a spoiled vote means it must be ignored.

Spoil if you wish, but don't think anyone pays more than passing attention to it

Not one bit funny when Irish people are loosing benefits and support like medical cards that they need.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

https://take-profit.org/en/statistics/wages/ukraine/

According to this article, the average Irish wage is €3,460 (converted from USD in the article), whereas the average Ukrainian wage is €450. The average “dole wage” here is €812.

As it stands, Ukrainians coming here just getting the dole are already earning almost double than they would working 40+ hours per week back home. Plus they will have their living expenses paid for and medical card. When they start working, they will earn even more.

I don’t know why people think the majority will go home after the conflict dies down. We saw here that Polish immigration exploded here in 2004 and they arrived en masse once they became a member of the EU, and they weren’t fleeing any conflict. They came here just to work and take advantage of our much higher wages compared to theirs. Also, as they arrived in such high numbers, they created their own communities - a home away from home - which would also help with the home sickness. If 200,000 Ukrainians arrive here, that would definitely help them miss home even less.

Ok, for the craic, I'll bite.

Go ahead, provide some actual data to show your statement is not made up.

Your premise is Irish people are losing x, y or z because of immigration so I'm sure you can actually prove that.

However what I expect will happen is

A - You'll look for the evidence and find that it doesn't exist as this is not the case

B - Find data that shows x, y or z but does not show any causal links to immigration

Or

C - Either ignore the request or insult or claim something along the lines of "you just don't get it man/don't be a sheeple/it's a conspiracy /etc etc etc"

I look forward to hearing from you

Data ?

i don’t need to provide you with data because real world first hand experience in my family and I’ve mentioned it on boards before if YOU feel like searching if you’ve a hard on for statistics…my parents both lost their medical cards, in their ‘ 80s both with medical conditions and required to get medication to assist with.

my cousin suffering from a LTI about to be loosing her illness benefit…

Not losing it because of any reason apart from the government needing —€— to be repurposed for to cope with this influx… they’ve been told the same by a relative working in said department.

It dosnt make sense to have unlimited immigration and a faltering housing market. Otherwise they are pitting the people against the immigrants. The amount of immigration we can take should be calculated against the amount of housing and supports available. Otherwise the quality of life is going to get alot worse.

Anyway no career politician is going to discuss this topic, we might as well be living under censorship.

Rubbish.

No Irish person is loosing any benefits because of 'foreigners'

And what about an Irish person who never paid tax? The same as someone here from a different country.

• Advertisement

An Irish person who ‘never paid tax’. ? Hhhmm Can’t say I know any of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,922 ✭✭✭Cordell

Yes, you're absolutely right, the government just need to pick from the infinite money tree more often, that's all. No one will lose anything, that's a ridiculous notion.

And there's plenty of empty classrooms and hospital beds to go around for everyone.

Plenty of people in Ireland have never worked. More then the foreigners that are here I'm sure.

Ok, so no proof then, you could have just said and saved yourself all that typing lol

As for the rest, well, the expression "anecdotal evidence is anecdotal and therefore not evidence" applies

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭jmreire

Not true, a small Nr of spoiled votes will not radically affect the outcome. But say if all of those who did not vote at all, instead spoiled their votes...do you still think that it would not have an effect?? Say even 20/25% ? You can be damn sure it would have an effect. Just not voting at all, because " they're all a shower of chancers " is the real cop out. How would you explain a result where there was 20/25% spoiled votes? A large % of non-voters or a poor turn out can be explained by politicians saying " Sure they are happy with the way things are". And one direct result of this is the situation where we get as they say, the politicians we deserve. Unfortunately.

I’m quite happy to contribute to the debate so typing isn’t a problem, it’s a discussion forum, not a court of law so im not obligated to provide evidence but relating my first hand real world experiences will do :) …

• Advertisement

When you make generalised statements about groups or situations affecting groups as if those statements are based in facts, expect to be challenged to prove those statements.

Advertisement