Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

6000 hse staff out

• Registered Users Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

At what point are isolation policies causing more harm than good?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

A combination of staff being out and people catching every other dose that they have not caught for 2 years now, which is a situation we created.I see it around me, most families I know spent March going from one illness to the next. Temperatures, coughs, vomiting, coughing and vomiting, chicken pox,...all of it.

Many have also had covid, and some have had it a second time.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

I'm self isolating since positive antigen on Tuesday, all I've had is the sniffles for a couple of days & I'm under 55.

I had a confirmation PCR on Wed just in case I needed it for future travel etc.

Now where do I stand under Leo's new rules, I'm planning another antigen this evening, work want me back in by Monday, I'm confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭glitterIsland

Leo's new guidelines is a pack of balls.

If you're under 55 with symptoms you don't need to test but one must isolate until 2 days past symptoms.

(Nobody is going to do this with a cold by the way).

If you're over 55 or have a medical condition you can test with symptoms and you must isolate for 7 days.

I presume the isolation guidelines for this group is to prevent the spread of the virus to others. Where is his evidence that it's over 55s and those with medical conditios that are the main spreaders of the virus and must now follow isolation for up to 7 days upon symptoms? Can he expand on medical conditions? What medical conditions does someone need to have to testing and isolation?

Talk about a load of confusing nonsense. I think in the states if you're boosted isolation can end in 5 days. Can Ireland not streamline these health guidelines into something similar? Like a one size fits all approach. Like if you have new symptoms, isolate for 5 days.

The one thing I would say about supermarkets is that they all have really excellent ventilation. This is for food hygiene reasons, but also because any kind of odour in a supermarket eg from vegetables puts people off. They are without exception big spaces, with very high ceilings.

The closing down of ‘big box’ retail and garden centres etc seemed to be absolutely bizarre. I can sort of understand it in the initial month or so when there was little info but it dragged on and on.

Also the non essential items stuff was bureaucracy gone mad and it happened in parts of the U.K. and on the continent too.

I think it also shows that we had basically no ability to really analyse risks and made some ludicrous decisions in hindsight. There needs to be much, much more research into preventing this kind of disruption ever happening again and focus on measures that actually work rather than theatrical hygiene.

In my case it’s definitely broken my habit of going clothes shopping in person and I do way more shopping online now. I’d say the long term impact on the retail economy will be profound and irreversible. It fast forwarded a trend toward online shopping and one they isn’t really likely to roll back.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Edit : I had posted a reply but going through the HSE site it has 2 contradictions so who knows anymore.

1 part of the HSE site says don't need tests, another part of it does and tells you isolate 7 days from symptoms, exit at day 7 if symptom free for 24hrs.

See what your antigen comes back with, have you still symptoms?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

The clothes sections were closed due to complaints by shops that were were selling similar items i would guess.

Still a bit petty and ridiculous given the very negative impact on the public.

That trade was driven online. Did it really matter whether it was going to Dunnes physically, when it was ultimately being driven online and primarily to big platforms like Amazon, ASOS etc etc anyway?

It just meant less tech savvy people and some on the margins couldn’t get items like shoes and clothing.

There are lessons to be learned in terms of what worked and what didn’t. A lot of well meaning actions were taken, but we need to learn a lot from the experience both at Irish and EU level and more broadly.

If a pandemic scenario happens at least we would be prepared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,131 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

Took another antigen there now & still positive.

No symptoms though, family still all negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I dunno so, I probably wouldn't be going to work Monday with it still positive. I'd give it a few more days seeing as your only a week on what Monday or Tuesday, but on the guidelines currently once your 7 days are up and you've been symptom free for 48hrs (which you are) then your good to go after the 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Not at all. Just to know if you'll infect others..

I only counted a couple of masks in the supermarket yesterday

Id say the unions pushing the masks backfire if anything

Fergal bowers may as well stop writing about COVID , his article today was a dog's dinner of a thing , he said an awful lot without saying anything

Could it be that most people don't give a sxxx about side effects because having had the disease most would say that the vaccine is less of a problem than you or others here make it out to be ?

And who knew that this virus would be still trying to out manouevre vaccines at this stage ...give us a break ! It was never sold as stopping transmission, only reducing severe disease .

It's all a learning curve for everyone about Covid . Including you .

Relatively low..in comparison to high numbers infected. ( clue , if someone says relative, it usually means relative to something, not just out there on it's own?)

See ..you left that bit out ,but I fixed it for you 😊

Yes. Was saying the same last night . Completely contradictory and confusing .

Should not make a difference age wise about isolation just whether symptomatic or not .

I think the medical conditions are those highrisk for Covid .

But I think the point is not whether you are high risk for disease but whether you will spread it or not .

• Advertisement

I said it the other day

Something is not adding up about the hospital crisis

Unions are screaming blue murder wanting us to mask up and wfh

Numbers in ICU are low and government are pretty much ignoring them

Worldwide daily deaths are now at their lowest since the pandemic first kicked off in 2020.

The issue in the hospitals (apart from all their normal issues) seems to be driven by the ongoing need to completely isolate covid patients and non covid patients. They’re running like two parallel hospitals and even in the best of times they’re over crowded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Hi Goldengirl, I’ll have to disagree with you on that. The side effects of the vaccine should be discussed to keep confidence in the medical and pharmaceutical sector going forward. Now it’s left to the wild conspiracy theorists who gain more credibility stating all sorts of nonsense about 5G, etc.

I agree it’s a learning curve but there are plenty of videos out there of governments and health officials saying the vaccine stopped transmission at the start. Perhaps they were fed false information from vaccine company data - it should be investigated if so. Even this January 2022 as the children’s vaccine was being rolled out, Dr Colm Henry and Dr Karina Butler among others were claiming in interviews on RTÉ that it would ‘stop children contracting Covid’. This is blatantly untrue, it’s also false information and misleading. If the subject wasn’t so serious, yes give people a break. But it is.

The GP crisis and the mothballing of the out-of hours service driving people to A+E too

They closed the nearest out of hours doc service ,nearest one is twice the distance to a+e so what ya gonna do

Even when they were operational it was better just to bypass them cos they refer u to a+e anyway for anything more serious than a graze

Usually ends up with a highly trained nurse in a+e performing a task which a doctor is unable or unwilling to perform

That's just a small piece of the problem , the whole system is a shamble with unions and consultants and pen pushers

Hospital numbers dropped a bit on a Sunday! Should be some huge reductions next week if this trend continues.

Yeah, quite unusual for numbers to drop instead of increasing on a Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I was in A&E and the ESU in UCHG over the weekend minding a relation. Absolute chaos in there. People on trolleys and chairs in every available corridor. A nurse told me that beds were like "hen's teeth". Horrendous conditions for patients and overworked healthcare staff. Depressing to see really.

I am not suggesting it is down to Covid. It just seems we are returning to 'normal service' which the government have been ignoring for decades.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,554 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

But if that was the core of the problem why wouldn't the healthcare unions be pushing for those regulations to be relaxed, rather than calling for masks and other restrictions to be reintroduced among the general public?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It must be pointed out that anyone who questioned the way over the top narrative re Covid was immediately labelled as a ‘far right conspiracy theorist’. Any suggestion of deviation from policy and this label was regularly rolled out on this thread. Any attempt at debate, any discussion on healthcare resource capacity increase and reopening more and you were a killer who was selfish and thinking of only themselves.

Not true at all and being of this type of view places people quite firmly in the CT wheelhouse. People expressing opinions have been challenged on all sides. That's not a personal affront, it's a means by which we filter out the complete rubbish. Disagreeing with our approach is a right we all have but a claim of unfair debate suggests that people either couldn't make their case or there were serious flaws in their argument. Debate too allows that people who agreed with our approach get their opinions aired and respected.

TBH this post does more than hint you were far too concerned about what other people had to say and that you feel hard done by that more people didn't agree with you. If you are looking to settle accounts that's your prerogative but the healthier path is to forget all about it and get on with your life.

Advertisement