Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lenovo Ideapad 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

The AMD models are good value too, maybe more so.

That i7 is low-mid range by modern standards, Intel have made an utter balls by calling about 10 different product lines "i7" despite huge, huge gulfs in performance.

EG the i7-1165G7 is only 4-core,8-thread - same as some modern i3's and i5's, slower than some in fact.

In fact that i7 is more or less the exact same model as the i5 which only costs 494, just with marginally better integrated graphics.

AMD are more clear cut with their model schemes.

Here for example Lenovo offer an 8-core, 16-thread 5700U processor in a 14" Ideapad for 550, which is good value. The 5700U is incomparably superior to the i7-1165G7.

Here's one for 460 which is also solid, 6-core, 12-thread processor that is also superior all-around to the i7-1165G7.

Intel have been up to all sorts of ridiculous hijinks with their naming schemes ever since they started lagging badly behind AMD in the processor stakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭chonix

Ideapad 5 laptops are a great bargain for starters or people who'd like to have a good computer right off the bat.

Main problem is: Ram is soldered on these models. Even the 8Gb ones (nowadays unless you're a power user you won't need more than 8 Gb)

So bear that in mind, if you buy one of these for basic stuff and even bit more might be fine. But don't expect to be able to upgrade RAM there.

Disks are upgradeable and specwise they're good. However that's the only caveat i can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

Logging in via the lenovo education store Ireland gives a better price again doesn't seem to look for student ID either...

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Only one slot is soldered there is a normal Dimm slot to add more Ram. I would go pay for an 8gb intially though. Better to be able to add another 8 down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Yep I'd checked the CPU benchmarks on these before hand and the i5 was almost identical to the i7. The AMD was almost 50% better.

In my case I needed the larger screen and the next jump up to AMD 16" was 800+

I'd bought a HP laptop recently which had to be returned due to blue screen issues, that aside the build was terrible. Spongy keyboard, cheap plastic chrome surround and a massive bezel.

The Levovo is a sturdy build and looks fantastic. The IPS screen is very impressive. The USB-C with power delivery and display out is very handy. Happy with my purchase!

• Advertisement

This is not correct. The RAM is soldered and no spare slot available.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Little A

Can any of you recommend a good Lenovo laptop (was a Dell fan for years but they seem to have slipped recently....currwnt one had something spilled n it and hasn't been right since and probably not worth the cost of fixing.)

I just need somethng for browsing, some emails, excel sheets (nothing too taxing), word etc - I'm not too up to speed on the various processors - 15" would be nice but can easily settle of 14" if the price is right.

Heavy duty work can be done on my work PC.

Any help would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Apologies didn't realize that, any other Lenovo models that I'd looked at before only had one channel soldered. Should have double checked the specs! I'd be reluctant to go for less than 16GB though but for a light user the 8GB is adequate.

No harm, all good, as said, I wanted to point that out as many people think same as you did, neglecting without checking first assuming all laptops are the same as you have or your friends is.... I've gone a bit far and checked before to warn youse ;)

Just in case, next time, copy the model name and check in https://psref.lenovo.com, will save you some headaches!

Go for I5 processors (Intel) or Amd Ryzen 3 5300U (or Ryzen 5 5500U if money is not a problem) (Amd) and minimum of 8gb of memory.

Also, check if the screen is IPS or TN. IPS gives better angle of vision and crisper colors; TN is cheaper but viewing angles are horrible; same as looking at a negative film.

Worth mentioning: When checking resolution of the screen, minimum should be 1920x1080. This makes a difference.

You can go either Ideapad 3 or Ideapad 5 path. Any question, feel free to ask

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭sapphade

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭sapphade

That should offer extra ten percent off going rate

Wish I'd found that last week, discount stacks on top of the SPRING22 discount.

I'll add this to the OP, good work.

IdeaPad 5i 15 - Abyss Blue

Well bit the bullet - based on your info, I think I'm going for this with the extra discount it is € 445

Any comment if the warranty (€80 for 3 years) or the Smart Performance (€60 for 4 years) are worth it?

Warranty perhaps, if youre risk adverse!

Don't bother with the Smart Performance

Perfect - thanks a million for your help

The 11th gen Intel i5 and i7 (i7 not worth the extra over i5 as less than 10% more cpu power) cpus have better integrated graphics than the 5th gen AMD cpus with the Intel Iris XE graphics

so if you plan on some light gaming at 720p it can be a better option (it's not going to run the lastest AAA but even older demanding titles like Witcher 3 are playable at 720p) as the games will run noticeably better

Also the 11th gen i5 or i7 are plenty cpu horsepower with 4 cores for normal uses of browsing, ms office type stuff etc

so it's relative

Most people won't really benefit from the additional cpu power of additional AMD cores unless video editing a lot but then you'd want 16gb ram in any case

The AMD 5500u is also a last-gen cpu in disguise - it's the 4600u renamed. the 5600u or higher are better

the colour accuracy on that screen is not great (45% NTSC colour gamut coverage where about 70% or more is preferable) so not the best option for photo editing and even watching video will not be as good as a better screen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Brought back a faulty hp laptop after 3 weeks, got a lenovo and it's so much better.

Same thing happened to me, difference between the two machines is night and day. Won't be touch HP again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

HP have been pumping out nothing but sh1te for over a decade...why you buy in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Specs looked good 4gb, i5, 256gb ssd. But it's battery thankfully went faulty, it was very slow, so slow at times it was just unusable, this being a 3 week old laptop.

The lenovo has more ram 8gb, i5, 256gb ssd, much better colour/screen.

So happy I got it.

While I'm waiting for my new laptop to be delivered - can anyone recommend some free/cheap must have antivirus/cleaners/latest SW etc?

(can you tell it's over 10years since my last upgrade!!)

Also - any advise on whether I keep Windows in S mode ? That's also a new one since my last purchase....thanks again for the help

Windows Defender is all you need.

Also use this to download what you initially want quickly.

it will come with an AMD software assistant you can run to check for BIOS updates etc

agree that the additional software stuff offered isnt worth it

picked up an AMD ideapad 5 last year on similar deal and couldnt be happier with it, albeit i made sure to get the 16gb ram for futureproofing and yeah the screen nor the chip is built for gaming as such

that said, the 4700u chip with intergrated graphics runs a PS2 emulator perfectly well for the most part!

Advertisement