Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/ Routes Discussion Pt 2 (ALL possible routes included)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

There are some trip reporters who go looking for drama but Paul is definitely not one of them. He's one of the most balanced and reasonable flight reviewers out there IMHO.

Another trip reporter said they'd taken more than 400 flights and had never once been asked not to film. Requesting not to film the crew is perfectly understandable, no filming at all is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

Yeah they're probably missing a beat not having a PE cabin on the A330s at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Maybe save someone else the trouble of finding it, here's the link:

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

That must be a discount fare though as otherwise they are getting less revenue per space. Say the 3 seats were 100 each, their revenue potential is 300. Cut it to two (assuming same leg room) and charge 40% more means max revenue is 280?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭bikeman1

On the filming/ photo thing. I was first on an A330 doing a short haul and took the opportunity to get a quick snap with my phone of the big A330 cabin, nice and empty with nobody in it. Hiding to the side of the galley and I checked the photo after (not in the photo) was a cabin crew.

She came flying out shouting at me, no photos allowed. You can’t take photos. No photos of the crew. And then came right up to me, saying do you know this is the Aer Lingus policy. I was like, don’t worry, just interested in aviation and was taking a photo of the empty plane. Not to worry, I have no interest in taking a photo of the crew.

It’s only on EI that I’ve come across that attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

How to make friends and influence people. Good to do it from a position of strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

In fairness the YouTuber in question did clarify the crew weren’t hostile in this situation, they simply made a firm but polite request.

The airline obviously became aware judging by his later tweets and tried to make up for things but he still decided against making a video review and it’s clearly put a dampener on this overall experience which will be clear to anyone who follows him on social media. A real shame.

I still think the implementation of the policy needs to be reviewed, other airlines have similar rules but there are nowhere near as many reports of crews being so strict and borderline confrontational about it.

Makes it even more laughable when you consider Aer Lingus regularly pays z-list celebrities to promote them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Jack1985

EI-EIK/EIL entering service shortly. Fitted with QR Business seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭cloudhopper19

Was unfortunate but another reviewer did just publish a review from Dub-JFK

https://youtu.be/5g1e59Gk3Rw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Paul Lucas did do a Stobart review a couple of years back. No issue there.

I find slightly annoying and boarding on bullying that as part of the their PA they say filming is prohibited.

There must be a deeper reason why this is part of the PA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

The strength of the reaction would make me think there has been legal issues in the past, perhaps something that got a crew member in hot water.

Aer Lingus (and for that matter Ryanair) make way too much use of the PA system. While some of what they say is useful and important, a lot feels very much like primary school. My personal favourite are the repeated calls during boarding asking people to step in from the aisle and take their seats as quickly as possible, because people are obviously standing in the aisle for the fun of it....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

There are certainly people who take their time stowing their bags and generally organising themselves, more as though they are in their own home than in an aircraft with maybe 50-100 people waiting for them to finish before the queue can move.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Yep there are deffo people who slow down the process by blocking the aisles during boarding… so that’s who announcements are aimed at! Unfortunately I think these people aren’t paying attention to their fellow passengers waiting behind them and also aren’t paying attention to such announcements…

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

It looks like it’s going to be this way on all airlines. Just watched a review of Dublin-Heathrow on BA. And the reviewer theflyingderryman was also asked not to film onboard by the crew upon boarding.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

I know it's a bummer but it is their place of work at the end of the day. I wouldn't want someone filming me doing my job.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Gary walsh 32

I'm with aerlingus on the vlogging issue as the crew should have privacy when comes to there job so many people out there would try make them look bad we have all seen videos of people without the full story

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Gary walsh 32

• Registered Users Posts: 34,865 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Should be easy enough to make videos without any crew visible but that's relying on the cop-on of the person concerned, so it's easier to just impose a blanket ban. Then again, if no crew are in sight who is going to stop you? Also surely the blogger can use still shots mixed in with their narration so not a big deal.

EI have always been Luddites though, I well remember being told that my Nokia phone in flight mode with wired headphones was not acceptable because it was not an "MP3 player". 🙄

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mr.anonymous

It's just illegal to use photographic equipment at an airport or an aircraft, full stop. It's not about crew privacy.

As much as I like airline trip reviews I'm surprised more aren't told not to film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,865 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Is it?

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Check out Sam Chui on Insta. He is in Ireland. Flew LHR to DUB and got complimentary upgrade to Biz of course. He shows a window view only.

This YouTube channel has a recent review of economy vs business on the A330 to LHR. They don't show the crew at any point.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭sherology

What about passenger privacy... Surely those in the cabins have a right to expect anonymity. Is this why there is no filming etc.? Especially the wealthy folks up front.

I love the videos BTW, and think it's silly to ban them, and I've never seen crew, but I would assume an airline 'could be' blamed for not having a policy in place to ban filming/photography onboard if a passenger brought a law suit? EI could counterclaim they were fully unaware of filming if a claim was made and they had a policy in place. If there was no policy then they could held partly responsible (through arguement) through lack of policy.

That said EI crew can be very stern/cranky/sour at times so more likely that.

Not sure how anyone could reasonably expect to have a right to expect privacy/anonymity when sharing a metal tube with two hundred other people. Just my €0.02.

And do you think the repeated announcements have any impact on that at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Could you link me to the legislation of this please?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

I highly doubt its illegal per statute, but Aer Lingus as a business could certainly have a no filming/photography as a condition of carriage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Indeed it is in the T&C's

11.4 FILMING AND PHOTOGRAPHY The taking of photographs or videos of our personnel, equipment or procedures is strictly prohibited. The use of still and video cameras, whether film or digital, and whether in cameras or other recording devices, is only permitted for the recording of images personal to the Passenger

Advertisement