Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Census 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,110 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I'm not an expert on Censuses, but I'd guess it might have something to do with the fact that;

a) if people aren't there, you won't have answers to all the questions, and

b) if people are somewhere else, their answers will be recorded on the Census form for where ever they happen to be that night.

I'd guess the forms are designed and printed long before the date was fixed, and with everything that's happening over the past two years with Covid, there was a significant chance of the date having to be moved. Contingency planning - and they have a huge communications campaign elsewhere - TV, radio, online, print - to make sure everyone knows the date.

Here's a general point - just because YOU don't understand the reason for any particular feature of the Census, that doesn't mean that the people in the CSO who've been running Censuses for decades are big eejits. It just means YOU don't understand how to run a Census.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

• Registered Users Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭plodder

Then forgive me for asking a question that seemed to question the competence of a state body. We couldn't have that. I'll try to do better in future

• Registered Users Posts: 29,110 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Yeah, maybe framing a question in a way that questions the competence of any organisation, public or private, or indeed, any person, when actually, it is a subject that you know SFA about isn't a great idea. Just imagine me landing beside you in your job on Monday morning, a job, a business, a sector that I know nothing about, going through your work papers or equipment and asking a load a dumb questions about why don't you do it the other way - that's basically a lot of what is happening on this thread.

I did some work with some of the CSO folks a good few years ago, and big eejits they are not. They know their stuff, they have good reasons for what they do. Those reasons may not be apparent to the general public, but that doesn't mean they're the big eejits.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Wife has currently gone over her due date so we're on tenterhooks here till tomorrow as to who will actually be in the house on the night in question. Could be myself on my lonesome with her in hospital and the kids at mum's house, could be all four of us, who knows. It's a bit different from the normal thing where you could theoretically fill it out months in advance knowing who will be present.

I wasn't going to put anything in the time capsule but I think I'll write something about my dad who passed away very suddenly before Christmas. He won't be in any Hall of Fames or spoken about in wider circles beyond family and friends but he was everything to us and I'd like that to be reflected when it's opened in 100 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Maxface

I hope everything works out! It will be an interesting discussion point leading up to the release in 100 years time. Anyone reading this wont be there to see them but those ahead of us will get a glimpse of what life was like 100 years prior. Also, TIL it is tenterhooks and not tenderhooks. I may be alone in that but it surprised me.

The question isn't about gender. It is just sex.

Bit of a difference between turning up at someone's workplace and discussing it here LOL. And discussing it doesn't have to mean you think they are "big eejits" either.

You'd think being able to do it online would be more efficient for all the usual reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Is Census night Saturday 2nd into Sunday 3rd or Sunday 3rd into Monday 4th.

Just checking because someone stayed over last night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭wench

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

Where is the evidence for all this planning, that the census data is supposed to be used for ? The local primary school yards are full of prefab classrooms as new schools/classrooms weren't built on time, hospitals all over the country are overfilled with patients(as hospital capacity hasn't kept up) and  local roads are clogged as a major road project has been held up for years. In fact, I can't think of a single area where state infrastructure/services have been delivered either just before or just as they are are required, despite having all this data to enable advance planning. The norm is that roads, schools, hospitals, health centres, playgrounds, broadband etc are delivered years after they were originally needed and usually are lots of campaigning by local people and their representatives.

I firmly believe that the only useful data from the census is the number of people living in the country and in each local area. I have no time for the argument that the census is a vital source of information for future historians, as much of the information is either frivolous such as the question about smoke alarms or repetitive, as in every census, coming back and asking you when your house was built(again) and what your date of birth is(strangely enough, its the same as it was at the time of the last census). I also very much doubt whether the information is strictly confidential, having had a confidentiality issue with another institution that also shouted about how they value your information and promised confidentiality. Hopefully by the time of the next census, we will be able to submit it online and just tick a box for, "same as last time/unchanged". Mind you, when PPS numbers were first introduced, we were promised that using your PPS number you wouldn't need to fill in your name, date of birth and other personal details when applying for state services. but to this day, despite inputting your PPS Number they still need you to tell them your date of birth. What about, if the state that forces people to complete these census forms far more regularly than in other countries, meet their end of the bargain and show us the fruits of all the future planning that the census data is supposed to allow for.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Walter Knight

Yep. I`ll remember well for the rest of my life what this man said before been "supposedly" "suicided" by the U.S government: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxd-shukY1s

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

They are working on it. I saw some CSO woman on the telly last week talking about it. She said there are plans for it to happen, probably at the next census, and they have been looking at other countries that have already done it online. Most countries have a census every 10 years while we do it every 5, so that was part of the excuse. And Covid, of course.

The UK did theirs online last year. And in fairness it must have been in planning for a long time before Covid happened. I thought it was interesting when our enumerator collected the form last night, she made a point of saying - I only need to check you signed the form, which is fine from a privacy point of view. But, there must be some amount of badly filled out forms returned which an online system could help with. Though when the same lady dropped off the form beforehand, the app she tried to record it in, didn't work. So, it will take a significant investment and lead in time to make sure all the tech actually works.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,771 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Iv filled out the form no issues at all but i seen people say you can get a 45 grand fine for not filling it out or filling it out incorrectly ,

But if the Census is completely confidential to the CSO how can they fine you ? they would need to tell the Garda or courts to fine you ? Makes no sense

• Registered Users Posts: 78,437 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If you don't fill in the form, it isn't a breach of confidentiality for them to report it to the Garda - there are no confidential contents.

The big fines are for those that cause serious problems, e.g. a hotel operator that doesn't hand out the forms to guests and the CSO miss out on data for hundreds of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I've seen a few different enumerators in my town (and I don't get out that much!). One of the reasons a high number of households mightn't have gotten their form is that people have developed a fear of answering the door (or a call from an unknown phone number). They see an enumerator at their door and assume it's somebody trying to sell them something or to change provider for whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

They don't have to present a census form to bring someone to court. As far as I know, the CSO has the power itself to bring prosecutions itself, which means the Gardai don't need to be involved or provided with any census data.

I don't know if it's ever been used, and forms do routinely have missing information. Really unless someone has an argument at the door with the enumerator or the form is clearly a pisstake, then nobody is going through all the forms manually looking for people to prosecute.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

My poor enumerator had the legs worn off her walking up and down my road trying to collect forms, she must have knocked about 7 times over the course of the last week to the house across the road. Was talking to the neighbour across the road (fishing for info) because a different fella came to deliver a new form and a final warning, wasn't long about filling the original form in for him. I'd suspect these are the people they would go after also, the ones that are wasting the time of the enumerator which could be spent collecting legitimately completed forms. So at least you get that final warning anyway. I'd imaging each road has at least 1-3 house's that make life difficult, but that must have a knock on effect in terms of time and collecting from other house's that have their form completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 blackieboy

So an update for all you upstanding law abiding good people.

census form sent to where it belongs, in the bin, poor emulator having a lovely time !

London was lovely, you should try it…..

keep up the good work folks, we need fools like you to keep the muppets smiling.

All the best to you all, remember to keep paying your tv licences to receive the propaganda that seems to inform you all !

• Advertisement

Oh wow, you are so coool. Can I be more like you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭crossman47

And no doubt you will continue to complain about all thats wrong with this country while having nothing to do with your civic responsibility. I met another guy lately who won't fill it in until they pay him!!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

OK, since you decided to not to provide the kind of data needed for the management of the state, can we assume you will not be so foolish as to every complaint on here about anything involving the management of the state? You can have it both ways and I for one will be only to happy to refer you back to your link should you decide to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Mr_Jacko

I have a family member working as a census Enumerator and its fools like you who I've heard time and time again making life difficult for her and us all as a nation. Always seems to be one or two bad eggs out of the 400 or so homes they have to visit, time to cop on and get a grip if you really are an adult..

They've proven they are not an adult, multiple times.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Anyone not had their form collected yet? Ours hasn't and no "we missed you" card or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Davio

I filled out the form on census night and have been away from home for the past two weeks.  Am I going to get one of these 'final warning' notices?  I was planning to post the form back to the CSO when I get back home next week.  Surely they should give people some time to send back the form before issuing such notices?  

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

The previous census, our form never got collected. After the designated time was up we just posted it off. It's free I think, address should be on the form.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement

I was away a few days after census night but forgot to tell my enumerator that I would be away if she was going to be back around so I looked on the website and found a webform you can enter your details into, should just have to enter your eircode and contact details so they can contact you and it will link to your house. You enter your address and the enumerator will get an alert about it, all automated I believe. So anyone not yet collected this is the easiest method: https://censushelpdesk.cso.ie/

Advertisement