Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chancers in bike shops

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

Hunt aero 33s. They are stunning. Absorb a lot more vibration than an alloy wheels so are much more comfortable. Knocked a good bit of weight off the bike too. 1345g a set.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I've a set of virtually unused Hunt aero 50's if you were interested. Though to be fair they're a great deal new now.

How much are you looking for them? To be honest, I'll probably go with 40s, though considering a 40/50 mix. I ride a lot of hills and am near the coast so afraid the deeper rims will be a problem in the wind.

Nice one. I'll probably go with 40s. My good bike is my first with disc brakes. Rear wheel being repaired at the minute and don't have a spare which is a pain, hence the new purchase. Will use the wheels that came on bike in wet conditions and save the Hunts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭fat bloke

No bother. Mine are rim anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,636 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I think to be fair - inflation is quite high and people are going to get lots of sharp surprises in many different situations, whether it be booking a hotel, buying a car, getting a bike repaired or fixing a dishwasher.

Having said that, some businesses will chance their arm with the price increases.

Just to update the above on the cranky pr*ck of a mechanic in the Cork cycling superstore who told me my new wheel was 'fucked' and needed to be replaced.

Naturally, I didn't take his word and my LBS, which I should have gone to in the first place but I didn't have time on the day, fixed the free hub and it's back working perfectly.

All for 30e instead of the 300e plus it would have cost for a new wheel. Re-wrapped loose bar tape too without having to ask. Picked up a new cassette and some new tubes while I was there, which ordinarily I'd have bought online.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

anyone notice a disdain on the part of regular bicycle shops to go near an e bike? i had to beg on my knees the LBC to fix a puncture once ..he only agreed because it was the front wheel...said he wouldn't touch the rear.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭DJB030244

Unfortunately sometimes you can meet patronising A-holes behind counters in bike shops at times . Usually lads in dead end jobs trying to be important

Go into a bad bike shop on a quiet day and it’s similar to this classic

https://youtu.be/DvswW6M7bMo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭patrickc

My LBS is great I have to say, he only does stuff that needs it. My only issue is the length of time to get booked in he's so busy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

Had one guy in Santry with lots of cool stock try to sell me an e bike for almost 4 K. When i asked about range he try to bluff me that it had a 120 k range. When I dug down into how this was possible using the voltage X amp = wattage divided by 10 rule to determine range he clearly hadn't done his homework. Anyhow I didn't tell him that outside I had parked my conversion kit. Second hand bike (150 euro) plus battery kit (500). Total cost: 650 euro. Buy hey... a salesman is into sales ..understandably enough. No crime in that.

Advertisement