Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid vaccines - thread banned users in First Post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭snowcat

Just to recap after 2 years of threads

All the extreme pro vaxxers who claimed vaccines were the way out of this were wrong.

Lockdowns worked and continue to work (yes they do but they are not a solution) Ask China NZ.

There is still talk of restrictions/lockdowns/ masks with 94% of the adult pop vaxxed. Are the 6% the ones clogging up the hospitals?

To some peoples surprise

• Registered Users Posts: 17,997 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

There's no such thing as a "pro vaxxer". Vaccines work as intended (against a virus that mutates a lot). The fact that you are using that a phrase is a red flag, it gives away that you think there are "two sides" to this (there aren't)

There's still some talk regarding restrictions because cases have been rising again. Covid is still around. Vaxxed or unvaxxed you can still catch one of the variants. Likewise, it could mutate again to an even more infectious or worse variant. Thankfully, so far, the vaccines have been relatively effective (in terms of reducing severe effects) on new variants. So far.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,535 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

The only place extreme pro-vaxxers live is in your head, fortunately.

Still waiting for you to post an example of an 'extreme pro-vaxxer' post here. It's been awhile, and obviously you now have time to be here. Snap, snap!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

So if lockdowns worked but vaccines didn't, then how do you explain drops in cases and hospitalisations when lockdowns were being relaxed around this time a year ago?

There absolutely is. And even more so there is extreme pro vaxxers who regard any slight on a vaccine as a detrimental flaw on the individual. I recently vaxxed my 3 month old with the 7 vaccines that have been proven and well tested but my 6 year old will not be taking the mRNA Covid vaccine anytime soon. Especially since she had Covid and was asymptiomatic. No thank you

• Advertisement

There's no such thing as a "pro-vaxxer" any more than there's such a thing as a "round-earther". The only people who produce terms like that are.. you can figure out the rest.

As a lay-person you can decide to take the vaccine or not. You don't know as much as or more than medical science. The fact that you are writing this on a conspiracy theory forum should be a large enough hint to you. The fact that in this thread you are flanked by someone who believes satellites don't exist, and another who believes that Covid is entirely a conspiracy, planned from start to finish, should be another big hint to you.

If there's something you don't understand about vaccines, then there are forums for that. Likewise you can check with any medical professional.

FFS will you read the thread. You are back of the class. I wonder sometimes with posters thinking they are smart and sniping at others making themselves look stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Funny how covid cases escalated after the vaccines, I didn’t know anyone getting the deadly covid up to the end of 2020 but this year I know plenty and they are all fully jabbed one man almost died was taken to hospital and released the same night. You’d want to be a complete fool to believe the vaccines are safe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Hmm I wonder why the magic jabs that the media are having wet dreams about don’t magically prevent it , oh wait you can still get it even if vaccinated.

So explain Israels death rate from Covid? They had their highest death rate after their well publicised vaccination campaign. How are Romania surviving with the lowest vaccination rate in Europe and one of the lowest case rates in Europe. Mmm

• Advertisement

Interesting and coincidental how your anecdote corresponds with your extreme views

You claimed all scientific papers were junk, so I'll take that anecdote with a pinch of salt.

You would think all the countries with high vax rates would have low covid rates. But it seems to be the opposite. Ah well

• Registered Users Posts: 13,535 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I've been here since the start of the thread, thanks. You may be surprised to know that anti-vaxxers and the "I'm just concerned about vaccines" types are pretty much one in the same, and they typically produce the same anti-vax talking points.

For example, you mention Israel's relatively high death rate from Covid, the below took 10 seconds for me to find.

Highlighting the relevant part:

"So what is happening? Why should a country that is so well vaccinated still be suffering like this?

According to experts, there are a number of answers. First, although Israel’s headline vaccination rate once sat at the top of global vaccine charts, it has gradually slipped down to a middling position.

But more importantly, perhaps, vaccination rates among the vulnerable are not as good as they might be. While in the UK nearly all the most vulnerable are fully vaccinated, in Israel 10 per cent or more of the over 60s remain unprotected.

Another issue is that - like here - the omicron wave has been dramatic. “Israel has basically let Omicron rip, eschewing almost all the layers of protections we had including PCR testing, quarantine for contacts of infected etc”, one local expert told the Telegraph..

Barak Raveh, an assistant professor of biological modelling at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, said the number of those unvaccinated and the omnipotence of omicron only provided a “partial explanation”. The waning of initial vaccinations also helped explain why, of 822 deaths recorded since the start of the year, only 293 were unvaccinated, he said.

“I do not mean to suggest the vaccine is ineffective at all - it is still 90 per cent effective if we normalize by population size. But what I think happened is some attrition in the effect of August’s booster shots”, said Dr Raveh.

"Israel was the first to provide them back in August, and their effect may have waned considerably. It was believed at first that this affected only infection rates, but apparently, it also caused more cases of severe disease"."

The uptake of the fourth vaccine dose to combat this waning has also been poor.

“Israel was the first country to authorise a fourth dose back in early January to both medical staff and the elderly, but only half of those eligible took it, in part because early reports about its effectiveness were mixed,” said Dr Raveh.

In fact, a fourth dose turns out to be incredibly effective. Recent real-world data from Israel shows it leads to a 4.3-fold decrease in severe disease in the over 60s, compared to a third dose given more than four months earlier.

“Giving the fourth dose to individuals who were at risk of developing severe disease has been instrumental in limiting the burden on hospitals in Israel during the fast and wide-spreading Omicron surge”, said the study’s authors."

Makes sense to me why Israel are having these issues. The same is happening in Malta also. Keep in mind Israel's rate (total) vaccination rate is around 66%. In comparison, e.g. Ireland, is 81%.

If you genuinely have difficulty finding this easy-to-find information. Okay, it happens. If you have some agenda whereby you don't look for it or don't want to accept any answers, that's something else entirely and is very common in this particular thread.

Ok. So it took you 10 seconds to find. Could you break it down to us here as you are obviously very google savvy but we are normal people. Can you confirm that Israel suffered its highest fatality rate after 90% of the adult populace were vaxxed?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,608 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Thanks. The attitudes of extreme pro vaxxers here are disconcerting. It is either you are a liar, dishonest, fake news, anti science (Im a scientist)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

And a question dodger, and a liar. You haven’t provided examples from this thread.

Yes i have. I feel a lot of abuse coming on so please read back on what i regard as a extreme pro vaxxer. You seem to fit the mould but anyway please have a look at my comments before you unleash.

• Advertisement

It appears to me your mask is slipping, but I'll give the benefit of the doubt for now (this forum has been CHOCK FULL of people "pretending" to just have questions about vaccines or "not get" certain things and the veil slips and they turn out to be full on vaccine-deniers)

You asked this question: "So explain Israels death rate from Covid?"

I highlighted an article which explains it. It's not hard to find. If you want another article, I can provide another.

e.g. here's another explanation

If you don't accept it, explain why not.

However people who genuinely want information don't come to conspiracy theory forums. They come here to mess around. As mentioned I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt for now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

You clearly didn't read the quoted text then where it said that whilst the population as a whole had a relative high vaccination rate, the vaccination amongst the vulnerable was significantly lower.

The answer was right there in the post that you quoted yourself.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Oh bless your heart, you are feeling abuse? Perhaps you shouldn’t dish it out in the first place you utter dullard (below posted by you only minutes ago)

Out of curiosity I looked it up: you're threadbanned on multiple Covid threads

It's one thing to be a straight up anti-vaxxer, it's quite another to slime into threads pretending to be something else.

Oh yeah. The old Donald Trump metric. Dont test and you wont find them. They are doing that here at the moment as well. The mind boggles. So do variants come from asymptiomatic vaxxed persons who are spreading the virus with no symptoms or non vaxxed persons.

Well that was quick, normally most manage to keep the pretense for a bit longer.

I dont need you to give me anything, The entitlement is unreal..

Ah well. I might just suck the vaccines out of my 3 month old. 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Just on children and vaccines, children have a very low chance of having very severe symptoms from COVID, the vaccines turn this risk into a negligible risk. The risk/reward for the riskiest group for vaccines (young males) is 250:1, for other groups, the risk is much much lower.

What the anti-vaxxer loons keep on doing is treating their own personal experience as the general experience, COVID has a low death rate and a low rate for severe symptons outside of the elderly or underlying conditions, but the risk is not negligible, the chances of someone being fine after contracting SARS-COV2 is high, their chances after getting a vaccines are much much higher.

it also feels like there's a few posting who want to just bubble over and call the whole thing a hoax, so they reveal themselves in the odd sentence or two (and never have any data to back up anything bar moon worship type stupidity).

• Advertisement

Out of curiosity. Go away will you. You like to see posters previous posts and probably have numerous accounts yourself.

Advertisement