Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭eire4

If that turns out to be true and is verified then surely NATO has to take some action.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,397 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Jaysus. If you are replying to post 48 on page 2 ....... good luck with catching up on all the other 34,900+ posts 😯

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭JoChervil

Putin took care of it. None highest generals in Russia has army background, so they would have no real support of army in a case of a coup.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,969 ✭✭✭Christy42

Pretty sure the UK would not like an aggressive army on their doorstep. Similarly a well armed navy could cut off the US from the mainland. Neither would be able to accept that and would have to fight for Ireland.

No one enters a defensive alliance to help others. Either they have a reason to defend the other country or they want the help of the other country.

I mean if the UK invaded we would be screwed and no one would help. Many would condemn but no one would help. Russia or China would be fought simply because it would put the west at too much of a disadvantage if there was a large hostile army here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,420 ✭✭✭corkie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

I don't think there would be much difficulty amassing a 1 Billion Dollar (yes, "B" for billion) bounty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Yep he seems in total control so far its wishful thinking on my part I suppose .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Video from Antonov Airlines chief pilot Dmytro Antonov (although unconfirmed previous media reports suggest he is now the ex chief pilot due to being sacked for blaming Antonov management for the destruction of the AN225) showing the airport of Gostomel and inside the Antonov offices:-

Only 5 of their AN124s are still flying (temporarily based in Leipzig), all their support planes and many spare parts have been destroyed as well as their offices and documentation.

Post edited by GM228 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

The retreat from Kyiv is embarrasing and a waste of resources, there can be no spinning it positively for Russia or can there be? Any chance that this was the plan all along to keep the Ukrainian army occupied up north with their inexperienced conscripts so as the more experienced Russian soldiers can claim as much of the east before the Ukrainian army can regroup and start the battle for the south and east?

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Oh I'm sure Russia will put a spin on it like everything else they do, not a hope they planned not to retreat from and not take Kyiv.

• Advertisement

Isn't it how the UK got dragged into WW11. They said if Poland was invaded they'd come to their aid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭JoChervil

Yes, you are right. It was from an article, where they compared both incidents and couldn't give positive conclusion that it was Russian.

Very grim in the liberated area around Kiev. Looks like the Russians executed many civilians, some claims all the male residents of one captured town.

Russia needs to be treated like North Korea from now on

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The elephant in the room of course is we're looking at this from "our" side. It's entirely possible, I'd even say probable that a large percentage, even a majority of Russian people support this war and putin. There seems to be enough of them out there living in Western countries where they have all the access they want to Western sources and still support putin and Russia in all of this. It would be my personal opinion that there is no "people's revolution" in Russia happening any time soon. Like you say even if there were they'd have little chance and that any change is likely to come from his oligarchs/lords/boyars and/or the army. The sanctions and the hit to their pockets could rev up the former, I fear the latter will need far more Russian soldier's deaths before they start to twitch. Soviet/Russian leaders have always feared the army. All autocrats do as they're about the only layer of government that have the power to. Because of that successive leaders have somewhat weakened the army and its generals by appointing political and connected people and getting rid of any get too big or too popular. You don't see that to nearly the same extent in democracies in history.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭weisses

With Russia moving their troops.. Probably to the east, The west (Europe) should form a peace keeping force and move in from the west so that Ukranian forces can be freed up to fight in the East.

Just take the opportunity now that the momentum is there

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

From the Guardian:

Devastating reports have been coming out of the cities in the Kyiv region that were retaken by Ukrainian forces: bodies in the streets. Destruction. Reports of Russian troops using children as shields.

Anatoly Fedoruk, mayor of Bucha, told AFP that the city has already buried 280 people in a mass grave. Corpses littered the streets, he said, some as young as 14 years old. “All these people were shot, killed, in the back of the head,” Fedoruk said.

Many of the bodies had white bandages on them “to show that they were unarmed,” he said.

In the village of Novyi Bykiv, about 100 miles north of Kyiv, coaches of children were said to have been placed in front of tanks. “Cases of using children as cover are recorded in Sumy, Kyiv, Chernihiv, Zaporizhzhia oblasts [regions],” said Lyudmila Denisova, Ukraine’s human rights ombudsman.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

@[Deleted User]

Isn't it how the UK got dragged into WW11.

The UK got dragged into WW11 by the Sheepsqueezers of Splatticon 5 attempting to exert control over the Isle of Man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Yes, this is the best opportunity to do something like that since the weeks before the war.

I sincerely hope the US hasn't been putting off such action in order to allow Russian forces to be progressively more weakened and to further stall the point from which Russian forces can begin to rebuild.

Either way, now is the time to call Putin's bluff by entering Ukraine and proceeding step by step towards the Eastern border. The caveat being that peacekeeping/medical/rebuilding personnel will be protected by lethal force.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

It's absolutely disgusting. The pictures are shocking. The Russian army are absolute scum as are all those who support what they are doing. Fcuk them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,512 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

All of this will be going before the international war crimes people - they are gathering evidence as we speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Seen the videos and pictures coming out of Bucha , they are horrendous , someone needs to pay for what has done to the Ukrainian people , Russia needs to reap what it sowed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Indestructable

I've seen those videos and pictures too. I really wish I didn't but it's important that they're out there.

Something has to be done. It's beyond depraved. "Never again" just keeps on happening.

Is there room for Mick Wallace and Clare Daly as well

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Perseverance The Second

A Rather interesting find at the recaptured Hostomel Airport

Not only are the Russian's doing a bad job of covering up registry numbers.

But they have sent some very unique aerial units into the frontline

>This destroyed helicopter is the Mi-8AMTSh RF-91285, it belonged to the Klin-5 squadron of the RuAF, delivered in 2013. Klin-5 is the experimental unit and it under the "344th Center Of Combat Application And Retraining" directorate. RuAF have sent the elite in Hostimel.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,847 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

You know the word that came into my head when I read your post where you mentioned all males of one town ? Srebrenica and Jesus that’s a chilling thought.

I like this version better from Russias number one propganda channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭thomil

I try to remain as rational and detached as possible with regards to the Ukraine war, as hopefully comes across in my posts. But the stuff I'm seeing coming out of Bucha is just horrific. I don't see how there can ever be peace with Russia after seeing that level of butchery!

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Perseverance The Second

Don't know if this has already been mentioned.

Russian soldiers visiting a post office in Belarus to send items looted in Ukraine to Russia.

Mostly mobile phones and jewellery.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement