Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do You Have a Moron-Deal Breaker Point of Reference with people?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,604 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Well, to be fair you've misinterpreted whatever said in 2 instances there. I deliberately changed the warning spoke in England to tailor the speech to the audience nd overcome the barrier of being understood first time. That's not a casenof me being easily influenced by the English, its just me trying to get the best outcome from the communication.

If the manager thought they were overcoming a barrier (e.g. different in work status) by using the words the guard uses, then it's the same thing. Not suggesting the guard won't understand 'I did' instead of 'I done' but that using someone else's terms is demonstrated to have better outcomes, all other things being equal and as long as its not hammed-up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Any one who unironically uses the word "holistic", since it's pretty much guaranteed that they have no clue about its origins or what its inventor (Jan Smuts) meant by it.

Ye Hypocrites, are these your pranks
    To murder men and gie God thanks?
    Desist for shame, proceed no further
    God won't accept your thanks for murder.

―Robert Burns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,509 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Quick Google search suggests it came from part of the gestalt movement of looking at whole systems rather than discrete parts. Isn't that pretty much how it's used now? What am I missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

yeah, like 4% the size of a regular brain. yet 126 iq.

"stuff science does not understand yet".

The volume of the brain tissue was less but the mass of the brain tissue was the same. Its called hydrocephalus. If the accumulation of the fluid occurs very slowly pictures like this can be seen in functioning people, albeit rarely. I wonder how long had elapsed between iq test and scan? Homework for yourself, volume mass and density

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭ByTheSea2019

Any kind of virtue signalling, either in person or on Social Media

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Another circular logic fallacy.

This whole thread is about posters virtue signalling. I mean complaining about things we think morons do is nearly the definition of virtue signalling.

1. the action or practice of publicly expressing opinions or sentiments intended to demonstrate one's good character or the moral correctness of one's position on a particular issue.
    2. "it's noticeable how often virtue signalling consists of saying you hate things"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭HBC08

Anyone who says "We're pregnant ", anyone who puts reindeer nose etc. on their car and anyone who constantly shows photos of their children, grandchildren, holidays etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,067 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Does everyone know a conspiracy theorist nowadays?

Personal pet hate is women with "Baby on Board" car stickers. Wonderful you have a baby - I just don't see why the whole fricking world needs to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭anewme

There's an urban legend about the baby on board stickers being a notification for Ambulance crews that there is a baby in the car, should an accident occur. A lot of people still believe that, so many of those stickers come from that.

I always think that of you have a baby on board then YOU need to drive carefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

Yeah that would be volume, mass and density .... of a brain.

I'd already concluded it might be hydrocephalus based on the bit where it says "the young man had a condition known as hydrocephalus".

"pictures like this can be seen in functioning people, albeit rarely."

Get outta here. Next you'll be telling me a neurologist studied 600 such cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Any white person who uses the word motherfferr. Anyone who is an adult male who wears sandals without socks. Any man says we are having a baby, I'm not a doctor but I'm sure the woman has the baby .

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭Detritus70

I'm sorry but socks with sandals is just not on. 😜

Fully Automated Luxury Gay Space Communism

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Religion to a degree , it seems so stupid to me anyway

The ones who have to look at others for approval when making a comment

People generally who dont think independently or think for themselves

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Einstein himself said feels like a child collecting grains of sand on the beach

I thought that was Isaac Newton? Though IIRC he said I collected shiny pebbles like a child while the great ocean lay undiscovered before me.

Often includes waffle about the "quantum world" and usually a good indicator of a quack trying to sell you snake oil.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

People who are agressive towards learner drivers.

Young people do more training than I ever did. And some older than me never did a test at all! I had believed the whole reapply every 2 years for a provisional codology was resolved but even Minister Barry Cowan was doing it.

But some see a learner plate and they turn into bullies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Are they not to alert you of the fact that with small children in the car the driver is unlikely to increase their speed so driving up their arse won't work.

Or the fact that they may need to pull off the road quickly due to child vomiting so if you're driving up their arse it makes the maneuver 100 times more dangerous.

Or in a carpark maybe think twice before you park alongside this car as your own car may get an accidental dent.

Or maybe they are just to say look at me I had sex, woohoo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

You're right, it was Newton and pebbles. I just know someone smarter than me said it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

I remember working with somebody once and I'll tell you about a time that they sunk in my estimation. We were working as security in a pharmaceutical plant. There were two of us in the office and the site health and safety officer happened to stop by to address that a gate had been left open. The H&S guy spoke from outside hatch in the window thing instead of coming in. There were about 5 yards between the H&S guy and the other security guard. The H&S guy was letting the guard (sat by controls) that there was a gate left open and that he regularly sees it open. The guard (lets call him fattie) explained that in security they've to open it quite often so sometimes they forget to close it. Immediately the H&S guy was probably thinking "well I could have guessed that". I'd imagine the H&S guy didn't want to just seem like a push over, buy he wasn't prepared to give out to him either. So he said pretty much the same thing again hoping the guard would take the hint. All the fattie had to say was "sorry, we'll try and keep more of an eye on that in future". But he couldn't. The fattie just repeated the exact same thing he already said, as if to imply "are you stupid?". The fattie had the upper hand because the other guy was outside the office talking through a little window. The H&S guy didn't really know how to handle it and just said thanks and walked off. Afterwards I could tell the fattie was annoyed as he muttered something fowl under his breath. A few minutes later he said to me "you know that guy there a while a go?". I just said "I'm not interested... I'm sorry but I'm not". That made for an awkward rest of the day between us but I was not going to listen to his stupid rationalisation about what had happened... especially seeing as I wasn't prepared to give out to him. 

Later I had to overhear this guy's sugar-coated story about the H&S guy when he was chatting to another guard later that evening. In his story he said "he just walked off" as if he'd stormed off in the middle of him talking. How misleading! I mean technically he did walk off, but not the way the fattie implied. It's something I hate... when somebody speaks badly about someone else and expects you to act as if they wouldn't be speaking about you when you're not there.

Post edited by Brid Hegarty on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

Anyone who asks you the time when they're just to lazy to take their phone out of their pocket, so they'd rather just get you to look at your phone.

Complaining does not equal virtue signalling.

Virtue signalling is saying something for the purpose of appearing virtuous to others. That could include complaining.

But complaining does not have to be virtue signalling if the motivation is not improving one's own appearance.

E.g. 'I wish they hadn't built that school there. It creates traffic and makes my commute longer'

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Mad how we went from the pocketwatch to the more convenient wristwatch just over a hundred years ago and now we're back to the pocketwatch. 😁

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭garbanzo

People who say TG Four 👎🏻

g

Anybody who will only go to an outdoor event, and never an indoor event , & visa versa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

But stating you disprove of something because it is the behaviour of morons is very much virtue signalling.

Which is what I said.

This thread is virtue signalling, you might not like that thought because you have associated other connotations with the idea of virtue signalling but what all posters are doing myself included in this thread is very much within the definition of virtue signalling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,705 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Complaining about virtue signalling IS virtue signalling.

• Advertisement

Only if you are doing it to create an image.

If you are expressing genuine annoyance without any desire to impress others, it's not.

It annoys me when people say things to portray a false image about themselves. I do not believe that everyone does that whenever they speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,705 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

So how do you when when someone is virtue signalling or expressing an opinion? Let me guess - if it is something you don't agree with, they are virtue signalling, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Yeah.

After I had to put the toddler into the car through the boot as someone parked so close to my car on both sides (I'm a size 8 so I could squeeze into driver's door, but not enough room for both of us)

I thought maybe if people saw the sign they wouldn't park like arseholes.....it doesn't work!

It's in the side window so the child plays with it while I'm driving at least it has some purpose.

It's funny to see how many people get triggered by them though.

Oh, your going to guess by beliefs for me are you?

I've often disagreed with someone I believe is genuine, if they've campaigned on a matter for years for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

People that say “The priest said…..”

*those believing without question anything that “he” says because it is “The Priest” 😶

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭KieferFan69

I find it tiresome if physicalists, super-determinists or antitheists try to push their schtick on me l. Whole thing is so facile and passé.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭KieferFan69

people who write thanking you in emails

indeed my good man

swept our offices a few years ago and I was so angry all the time getting these stupid messages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

There is more complaining than virtue signalling in the thread. In ByTheSea2019's example "I wish they hadn't built that school there. It creates traffic and makes my commute longer" is complaining, when it would be virtue signalling if the person said "E.g. 'I wish they hadn't built that school there. It creates traffic and endangers the lives of the children. Won't somebody please think of the children?!?".

I reckon people are using this thread to vent about the sort of people who they disapprove of or who annoy them, but not for the reason of improving their own stature/status on Boards, signalling that they are virtuous. There are some exceptions, of course.

• Advertisement

I don't really notice them. I tend to treat all drivers on the road exactly the same no matter the sticker or car size or whether the driver is a man or a woman. I will do my best to avoid parking beside a car that has child seats in it particularly if the space is narrow. It will be awkward for them and I don't want my doors getting banged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,580 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Baby on board signs are there for emergency services personnel in case of an accident as small children can't unbuckle themselves and they would be a priority in such a situation.

A number of other posters addressed this without identifying the reason for something that I would have thought was elf evident.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

There are all sorts of insufferable types out there but there's very few of them that I encounter in my real life. For example, I wouldn't like to be in the company of over-religious types or outspoken vegans or crypto-bros but I don't actually meet these in my real, day-to-day life. I do meet the odd hardcore shinner in Irish language circles but I've been giving them a wide berth for as long as I've been an adult so I don't really think about it.

These days the thing that makes me avoid certain people is mostly their love of disinformation, hoaxes, conspiracy theories, whatever you want to call them. I'm actually coming across more and more of these in the real world now than I used to. I previously mentioned a friend who went down that rabbit hole and you could predict his opinions on practically any subject just by knowing what was being pushed by disinformation accounts on social media. The guy is otherwise intelligent but I found it impossible to have a discussion on anything when the "facts" that he was pulling from his head were anything but. Life's too short and I'm too old to be patient with people who should know better, could know better but willfully choose not to know better. It's not like information and disinformation are confusingly similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 second toughest in the infants

I must say all these terms and labels nowadays like virtue signalling, gaslighting etc etc bore the arse off me.

Elf evident gave me a good laugh though. 😄

Atheists, judgmental morons of the highest order, who non stop want to talk atheism. How do you spot an Atheist ? You dont have to, they will tell you the first chance they get, then they will invite you to meet their non religious friends who meet up every week to talk about religion, they reccomend a book, and go to talks in which the head Atheists preachs to his congrigation.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭anewme

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

Anyone who uses the word moron is on my cancel list.

anyone who thinks public sector workers are their employees or who maintains that public sector workers taxes don't count somehow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Homeopathy... or anyone even suggesting alternative treatments. Foxtrot Oscar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭pgj2015

People who blame the Irish Government for everything, and never stop bitching about them. Usually dole heads since they were 18, oh I hate the Government, they wont make me get a vaccine bla bla bla

These guys are the types that know it all, even though they haven't a pot to piss in, $hit car, $hit house, $hit clothes, no education, drink problem, weed problem etc but they somehow know the truth about the vaccines, 911 etc and the rest of us are just morons who know nothing. They hate the Guards as well obviously.

I don't hate the Irish Government and I pay a lot of tax to keep wasters like you alive, why exactly do you hate the Government? do you not like money for doing nothing all day?

Id agree.

Plus peopel who hate government and think government is just a big waste of money, but don't actually have a clue how it work or why it works the way it does. Why things take time to get done and all the unseen work that goes into making things work at a local and national level.

Could things be done better? Yes, plenty of room for improvement. Is it a big waste of money? No. Its the basis on which our lives , as we know them, are built. We live in one of the least corrupt, onenpf the most pleasant, one of the most free countries the world, with plenty of room for improvement, but it's certainly not bad. But you wouldn't think any of that if you listen to the heads downnrhe pub who don't have a clue how it all works as well as it does.

• Advertisement
Advertisement