Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film forum off topic/random chat thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Gosh, who'd have thought that Red Letter Media video would be the trigger; certainly if true, I retract all my snark and criticism of Willis' professionalism the last few years - and retroactively feel a bit of a díck. Can't criticise a decision to try and leave your family some financial support, while cognitive decline is a horrible, cruel fate to befall a person and their family.

That said, I'd wonder about the tact in that director basically outing Willis' condition. It's entirely possible the actor wanted to keep it secret and private until such time it was unavoidable; he may not appreciate his consent being bypassed through a YouTube channel's comments section.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Amazon have completed their buyout of MGM. I wonder if that means all the MGM films will end up on Prime? Also possibly price increases?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,388 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

On BBC Radio 4 at the moment.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0015lqn

The Media Show is in Hollywood this week, ahead of the 94th Academy awards. Netflix’s The Power of the Dog is nominated for 12 Oscars, including the coveted Best Picture. Katie Razzall meets Scott Stuber, Netflix's Head of Global Film, to find out how the platform continues to disrupt the film industry. Scott discusses his beginnings in the business with a cameo appearance in Free Willy 2, his strategy for luring legendary directors like Steven Spielberg to the platform, and his response to critics who claim that streaming services are killing cinema.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Whenever I think mainstream Hollywood blockbusters have lost all sense of reality, or energy to even try, I remember they got nothing on Indian films. I don't think I've seen anything as bonkers as this breakout film's trailer in ages - and played, apparently, completely straight. Maybe Mad Max Fury Road, at a pinch.

That stunt with the open top car, the man grabbing the rifle as he's pitched into the air? Chef's kiss. Fast and Furious could learn some things.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I saw the trailer yesterday but needed time to process it before posting. 😅

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,547 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

That stunt with the open top car, the man grabbing the rifle 

I said to myself that guy looks familiar so had a quick look and it's Ray Stevenson.

Alison Doody is also in it I always wondered why she never became a major star after The Last Crusade she had the perfect Hollywood look being gorgeous with platinum blonde hair.

I had watched it twice before comprehending this wasn't a parody but utterly straight faced. I'm extremely tempted to check it out, including hunting out how I pronounce the damn title

Good eye, haven't seen Stevenson in a while; a very solid B Movie man. Seemed to have a brief flirtation as a leading man but never came to much.

As to Doody, I had heard she just never wanted much of a career, and retired after marrying a Smurfit; could just be tattle mind. Also. Hehehe. Doody. SorryNotSorry.

What's better than one Karen Gillan? Two Karen Gillans, fighting to the death.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,185 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

^

That looks as silly as a goose, but I'm in.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,595 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Bruce Willis retiring from acting. His family have confirmed he has aphasia, a brain disorder which affects a person's ability to communicate and is impacting his cognitive abilities.

Very sad news. In the right role, he was f*cking great.

• Advertisement

Yeah, it's really horrible news - it's uniquely devasting to watch a Loved One mentally deteriorate in front of your eyes.

I do certainly retract every bullish comment I made about Willis' latter-day career; ascribing checked-out laziness and unprofessionalism to what, it turns out, was a medical condition manifesting itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Aw man, that's so sad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Between this and Nic Cage’s recent candid interview, it’s a reminder that actors often find themselves taking up DTV jobs for wholly reasonable personal reasons.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,388 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Yeah, very sad. Rough for all concerned.

This is very much in ballpark of the late Dr Oliver Sacks whose book was the inspiration for Awakenings with Robin Williams and Robert DeNiro. Must watch it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

so I am genuinely surprised to learn that of all the fandoms I have dealt with the Sonic fandom is easily the worst for keeping their goddamn mouths shut about spoilers. Nothing has been held back. The film is not even out anywhere yet and someone has already put the full synopsis up on wikipedia.

It may be a dumb movie for a kid, but those nostalgia brain feel good hits that come from surprises that they did X Y or Z that I remember from the games as a kid was a drug I was hoping to enjoy for a brief 2 hours this weekend but nope, sonic fans actually got major spoilers from the film trending on twitter and spammed official posts by Sega with pictures of spoilers.

Something to come back to when it's raining.

Was the Kermode and Mayo thread merged or moved somewhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,547 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Looks like it was deleted as it was there yesterday.

Found link to the thread on a google search however all posts after 2016 have been deleted

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

What the hell? I can't find it in the change log. Last time this happened the OP had nuked their account but in this case the thread is still there, the posts are just gone. The site is a mess!

• Advertisement

Yeh I found that version too, I thought maybe newer comments had been merged into a thread in the podcast forum or something (even though I know that's not a thing 😅). Very odd.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Very bizarre! I don’t think I pressed anything by accident anyway 😅

OK posted in the thread just to see if it’d sync everything and it… seemed to work 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Last time I saw this happen, I think it was caused by the original post's user deleting their account. Though I see the Wittertainment thread's author still exists... weird. 🤷

Yeah in the previous instance I was able to find and restore any threads that user had started and get the thread back, though it involved trawling through the change log for about an hour.

This was much weirder since the thread was still here it was just missing all the recent posts. Many of them were still showing in search (and in users’ comment history) but clicking on them was giving page not found. It really looked like they had been deleted.

At least if this happens again we know what to do!

After the recent price increase I have cancelled Netflix (which I have been subscribed to since 2012!). I am going to give Amazon Prime a try. It seems to have improved a bit and is a lot cheaper. I probably would have stayed with Netflix if they made 4k/HDR part of the normal subscription. Anyone else cancelled or changing streamers?

Sticking with Netflix, purely because the vast majority of series I've been watching are on it. Without any TV package overall (not even Saorview) the sub has been fine to pay; Prime I find has very little to entice, with a seemingly much smaller selection of ongoing series. In fact it has been Prime I've dabbled with cancelling, such is the poverty of good, new material.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I get Prime for free through my Eir package so it's not an issue for me, but if I was paying for them all I'd probably stick with Netflix over Prime. I think Prime has made some really good things, but they definitely make way less. They do have a fair few older series though, so I suppose it really depends on how you use the services.

• Advertisement

It depends on what you’re looking for. I think Apple TV+ is on a roll at the moment with its TV shows - Severance and Pachinko are both better than any new show I’ve seen for ages on Prime or Netflix. NOW TV probably has the best catalogue of shows due to its HBO library. If you do switch to Prime, the Underground Railroad is a must watch IMO.

For film, Mubi is still by far the best and most reliable. In terms of film, both Prime and Netflix are very scattershot at the moment. Disney+ is a surprisingly decent all-rounder in terms of (mainstream) film and TV at the moment - there’s definitely more on there than something like Prime at the moment, and a lot of big new releases show up there very soon after cinema release.

Advertisement