Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2022 - Here we go again! - **No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Peterd66

I'd say their policy of not announcing the acts wasn't working for ticket sales based in the number of comms sent out over last week.

Wasn't particularly clever, given they have a strong line up (not sure it's worth €250).

I love Mogwai but based on EP experience, don't put them on a Sunday after 3 days of partying and your head is already melted!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Yeah, sorry to see Yard Act and Mogwai off to Body and Soul. Plenty more fish in the sea, I suppose. Funny to see the shite/great line up debate move from festival thread to festival thread as the weeks progress. If that bit of sun hasn't given people the goo for some music, any music in a field, any field, they may have a word with themselves. It's going to be an epic Summer lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭rubick

The old Marketing, what?

Not much here but The Charlatans and Ash on the circuit over EP weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭endainoz

Throw in the Zutons and Darkness for an evening slot. Wouldn't say no to the futureheads either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,550 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Bar waiting for additions for ATN (hopefully today) there will be a bit of a lull with festival announcements over here till about mid May or June maybe before the Picnic makes a second announcement.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭Mucker46

Zutons playing night and day a few weeks later so think unlikely to play EP as well but I could be completely wrong. Would be happy to see charlatans and Ash two gigs missed due to Covid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

I hear what you're saying but at the same time i can't help but think it's that attitude that allows promoters to put on any old crap and we should be happy with it. I could just go camping with my mates for a weekend with a stereo instead and have as good a time. Standards must be maintained Stillill42!😀

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

You forget we're coming out of a pandemic, there's a busy thread in Gigs and Events called Cancelled Gigs, lots of artists still cancelling at the moment, half the US acts are not touring so the pool of available bands and acts is going to be small at the moment. The likes of Primavera and Mad Cool in Spain get help from the government with grants. Not so much over here and you will probably see it over time that these Spanish festivals will get cancellations as that malcontent covid still seems to be hanging around in street corners lol. It will take a while for Irish and UK festivals to pick up back to 2019 standards. Glastonbury is always going to have the top hand as they are business partners with the BBC which is guaranteed coverage for a lot of acts.

I'm aware of all that BD and agree with you, that's why very few festivals across Europe have strong lineups this year imo. Doesn't mean we can't get the ol' debating muscles flexing though 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,596 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

We've been off-topic since February 2020.

It's primarily an EP thread with loads of other Irish gigging info. Works well.

Surely the Manics are an option, no Irish dates and last gig in mid-August? Busy covering Madonna last night.

Absolutely. There are very few impressive lineups this Summer and there's lots of crap on the EP poster. However there's more than enough good stuff already and much more to come. If the weather is half-decent we've got an epic weekend ahead.

Glasto also get acts at a very small percentage of their usual fee. They're not-for-profit so bands buy into that and charge far less. No other festival can match that.

And EP is not cutting corners. Only a third of the acts announced and there are huge names on there. More to come. Rage Against The Machine and Bicep for starters, possibly the Chemical Brothers

Well of course, Dreamweapon and the post EP reviews will give plenty of airtime to the ways they've messed up this year. My entirely selfish take is always focused on what's in it for me and I've yet to be let down. This year's about reestablishing the event and I'd be prepared to make some allowances but if the initial announcement is anything to go by, I don't think I'll have to. The onus on festival republic is the event, not just the acts and I'm really looking forward to seeing what the new incarnation of the beloved Body and Soul area looks like, what Jerry makes of his new domaine, how they shake the Terminus area up....the list goes on. My mate paid 120 yoyos to watch the rugby the other week. I dare anyone to tell me I'm not getting value for my 170 bucks in September. But yeah, you're right, standards are important.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

The thing is (and I think it's where dreamweapon is coming from), is that once something gets pared back, it doesn't revert to what it was before.

The Friday lineup was vastly reduced in 2013? when the festival was in trouble and still hasn't reverted to a full day, even though there's been early entry for the last few installments.

There used to be craft beer place and a chill out tent with beanbags to watch movies, reusable plastic pint glasses, afterburner and a host of other things that have gone by the wayside, only to be eventually replaced with overly loud and crass commercial entities.

There's still loads to do and love about the festival, and i'll go as long as my legs will carry me.

That's all true. Fair points. I think we're all on the same side of the argument.

Craft beer place (and an independent cider stall) lasted two years and couldn't be retained with an exclusive Heineken contract. Same as virtually every significant festival worldwide.

Cinema tent again only lasted 3/4 years, closed by security after a couple of minor scuffles during GAA matches. A great place for crashing out on the beanbags and I'd love it back.

Reusable pint glasses were pulled mid-festival (2009/2010 I think?) due to a chemical contamination on the cups. No reason not to get them back if it can be done safely and it'll avoid the unnecessary waste we see every year. Most of the plastic may end up being recycled but there's surely an easier and better way.

I fully agree re the E-Lites/Just Eat stages, but possibly a necessary evil to subsidise the Jerry Fish/Trailer Park/Mindfield/Hazel Woods, etc?

With EP (plus Latitude, Glasto, Pohoda and some others) the good far outweighs the bad. Most festivals are really just music and crap food. Even respected ones like Primavera Sound, Open'er, Southside and Pukklepop offer sod all else. And much is on tarmac which eventually wrecks your back. We're luck to still have EP. Very lucky indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

The loss of body&soul was a big turn in that direction. Not a bad thing. But its a commercial beast now

MERCHANDISING OPPORTUNITIES #23

Just incase your old Pixies shirt is a little threadbare.

https://pixiesmerch.com/

• Advertisement

Get. Them. Booked!

Overdue a return. Yet another act from that fantastic 2005 EP. That lineup just looks better with every passing year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

There are 153 sleeps

2007 lineup is the one for me. Never bettered anywhere in this country ever imo.

Don't get me wrong, 2005 was great too!

Another way I used to work out possible tours, gigs and possible inclusions to festivals was looking up the website Metacritic, they have a section called upcoming Album Releases which would have album release dates of albums over the next few months. Depending how busy the band is at touring, its usually anything from a few months to six months that they might go out on the road to promote it, so I'll give you a bunch of releases and you can do some guesstimating. :)

April 1st

Pillow Queens

April 8th

Father John Misty - Chloe and the next 20th Century.

Health - DISCO4 Part II

Jack White - Fear of the Dawn

Kate Tempest - The Line is a Curve

Wet Leg - Wet Leg

15th April

Cancer Bats - Psychic Jailbreak

Kurt Vile - (Watch my moves)

22nd April

Fontaines DC - Skinty Fla

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Omnium Gatherum

29th April

Bloc Party - Alpha Games

Girlpool - Forgiveness

6th May

!!![Chik Chik Chik] - Let it be Blue

Arcade Fire - WE

Belle and Sebastian - A Bit of Previous

Warpaint - Radiate Like This

13th May

Kevin Morby - This is a Photograph

Moderat - MORE D4TA

Black Keys - Dropout Boogie

Everything Everything - Raw Data Feel

Flume - Palaces

SOAK - If I Never know you like this again

Zola Jesus - Arkhon

3rd June

Angel Olsen - Big Time

GWAR - The New Dark Ages

17th June

Foals - Life Is Yours

Hercules & the Love Affair - In Amber

Perfume Genius - Ugly Season

Just a wee teaser of some of the up and coming releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

I really need my manics fix, their choice of covers really can be superb sometimes.

and yes, they've played it live.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

AltJ had a new album out in Feb, playing 3 Olympia in May, there's a big gap in thier tour July to Nov.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

What's the general view on the three made by music stage? Nice idea but race to the bottom/ Poision chalice!

For example in 2019 Gerogia played there at 7.15 on the Sunday! She was up against, The Scratch at the Salty Dog, all Tvvins, Rosin Murphy and Richard Ashcroft to name but a few.

How can you compete on a stage detached from the rest, if it was my call I'd much prefer to open Rankins wood or Cosby, you might get 100-500 people vs 20-30.

Do you not mean Friday Fatfrog, the Cosby and Rankin Woods is open on Sunday evening, Friday usually these tents are shut apart from when Jenny Greene and orchestra were in Rankins.

Edit: Aaah I see what you mean, if it was your choice you'd prefer to open in these places, sometimes acts have to do that though, remember poor Squarepusher playing to a few hundred in the vast Electric Arena in 2012.

Post edited by bodhrandude on

• Advertisement

Spiritualized album in a couple of weeks (best since L&G imo), playing Olympia on 7th May. Really hoping they get announced for EP. Possible too, as they return to the US for an East Coast tour on 8th Sept. It baffles me why their only appearance at the Picnic was the Acoustic Mainlines setup in 2007. We need the full electric experience. Particularly with current setlist (only two gigs in though so could change to ballad heavy nonsense by Sept!).

Advertisement