Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elden Ring (George RR Martin and From Software)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

If there are no summon signs, you can just use the summon finger in your inventory and you'll get it back :) Also no need to worry too much about them as there's a super easy spot where you can collect infinite numbers of the resource you need to craft more furling fingers.

I would say level 90-100 would be about right for the Niall fight. You can also use the item that turns enemies into allies to use one of his summon warriors to wail on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,808 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Sound, that enemies into allies sounds like the right job, will keep a look out for that. Ok gonna backtrack a bit and see what i missed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I've read there is multiple endings. No idea what I'm going to get because I feel like I'm following multiple questlines and some definitely contradict each other.

There's 6 with the 7th not being in the game but datamined and being one of the more interesting. 3 or 4 of them are variations of the same thing.

Ran around the crumbling city place and found ancient dragon smithing stone so got my rivers of blood up to a +10. Wanted to explore more but getting absolutely wrecked. Went back and finished Ranni's quest. Aaaawww.... I think. Didn't like one part but got some nice armour out of it. Main wuest reward is no good to me, another Int weapon. Rode around, laughed at a few bosses who melted me first time around, went back to Caelid and almost one shotting most enemies. Started the Millicent quest, commander O'Neill might as well have been a pillow fight :D, unlike his bastard cousin.

Up to level 82 and in Atlus Plateau which i hadn't doesn't long in previously. Went to volcanic manor which is gas but quest line is not my cuppa tea..... or maybe it is, might come back to that.

I put some more levels into arc but not seeing any gain, no extra weapon stat bonus and no extra bleed buildup. I looked up a vid on it and a guy said you can cause bleed damage with one hour but his arc was 80 which is ridiculous.

Game has become fun again where it's like one more cave or "what's that over there" instead of just legging it from everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,595 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah it can be a fine line between areas that are too hard, and areas that you're too overpowered for. I kept hearing about and going to small areas I'd missed before I finished the game, and was just barrelling through everything.

You did well to even make it to Crumbling Faram Azula sub-100, but I'd definitely recommend exploring Atlas Plateau, the Capital and more of the underground areas that might be at the level you're at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Bet Malenia after about 20 attempts and it was the sort of amazing feeling you only get with a FS game when I did. Problem is every other boss until her hasn’t taken me more than maybe 5 goes? Dare I say it but apart from her has the game been a bit too… easy? BB was on a whole other level. Even trivial encounters could take endless goes to get past.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

And done. Hit an unexpected road block with the final boss that took me a few hours. Some seriously bullshit moves in the second phase of that fight - trying to do an impromptu game of jump rope while being chased by a few dozen homing shards isn’t exactly an easy thing to do! But eventually got a co-op player and we managed to stagger the boss and that did the trick.

I’ve a few final thoughts about the game for later, but for now… phew. It was a hell of an 80 hours, but eh looking forward to playing a few smaller games for a while 😂

I just learned that Gostoc plays a bigger role in stormveil Castle than just giving you an entry tip at the start. What a sneaky bollox.

Every time you die in the castle, he takes 30% of your runes so when/if you collect what you dropped, you'll be missing a chunk. I had never even noticed this.

You can see him at different points skulking in the background basically waiting for you to die. At one point he locks you in a room with a tough Knight and you can hear him laughing outside.

For something that i never even copped during my time there, have to give him respect, well played.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Anyone got any suggestions for which summon to use to help with the red wolf in the academy? Struggling to cope with his speed of attacks with my melee build

• Advertisement

Upgraded wolves are still excellent at that stage of the game and that boss.

Thanks I'll try upgrade those a bit and go back for more

I had found a new summon ash in that level, 2 pupeteer lads who shoot arrows. We wrecked that boss together as they shoot so many arrows, the boss is constantly distracted. I used those 2 until i got Mimic Tear.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I'm just coming up to 80 hrs now and still have lots left to do in the game - at lvl 105 and mostly finished the capital last night. Main boss dude down on my first attempt - mimic tear +10 really is a massive help. Still have the bottom sewers to finish - some chunky enemies down there.

I thought it was class finding the original Roundtable Hold area?

That was a neat touch.

Still mostly using Moonveil +9 but switched from Carian Knight armour set to some Lionel's set - not sure who he is or was but it has decent stats. Going to get my Arcane up to 17 so I can try out Margot's sword, see if it's any good.

Have moved on to the mountaintops area but I was so impressed with the capital city - I thought Stormveil was impressive but the city is a step up again. The level design, aesthetic and music are brilliant. Constantly impressed with the level of detail they put in - just makes you want to explore every inch of the place.

I have those guys too, haven't tried using them yet but it sounds like a good approach. Keep it distracted for long enough so I can get in some bleed hits.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Found him to be one of the easier bosses, which of course doesn't help you. Distracted him with doggos and then just walloped him and the bleed damage melted him. At that stage I had the bloodflame blade incantation which increases bleed build up to insane levels.

I'm finding so much familiar items in the background that I'm looking forward to watching videos about the lore to help piece it all together. Was in The Shaded Castle last night and the boss room had a painting which I'm sure is of the wolf boss (pre wolf) if Raya Academy, he's name has escaped me, and got me wondering how they're connected.

A few thoughts after finishing:

The game's biggest achievement by far is making a huge, sprawling open-world that feels full of bespoke, memorable content. I'm not sure I've played any game of this scale where I was so in-tune with the layout of the world, thanks to an endless variety of landmarks, encounters, dungeons etc... It's a massive, massive game but feels handmade and tailor-made in ways these sorts of games usually don't. And the setpiece legacy dungeons very much feel as 'authored' as anything you'd find in a previous Souls games on top of that... there's just so much more to find. It's not a particularly revolutionary game in its take on the open-world formula, but it's evolutionary in ways you'd really hope other designers would learn lessons from. I also love the few moments where the world state changes in some momentous way - that's an old From trick, but great to see in a game of this size.

It is still a 'Soulsborne' game, and lore, naming conventions and setting aside you wouldn't really bat an eyelid if it was called Dark Souls 4. I'm not really sure where From can take the formula from here, because this is all their previous games in the genre blended together into one monster accomplishment. You'd almost imagine they'd need to make a more focused game ala Sekiro after this one, although I'm sure the commercial pressure to make Elden Ring 2 will be immense. I'd still love to see Miyazaki and co make a big swerve and try something totally different, but Elden Ring does prove they can take their well-trod formula and make it feel fresh again without reinventing the wheel.

After Sekiro was the most particular and focused of the Soulsborne games with its tight action gameplay, it was gleeful fun to see the polar opposite - a chaotic, vast RPG with a mind-boggling amount of possible builds and approaches. There's definitely some balancing to be done (especially with some boss design) but it's a wonderful kind of chaos seeing how different each player's build will inevitably be. That said, it's clearly designed to encourage things like summoning in a way that'll likely frustrate those looking to play it purely Sekiro or Bloodborne style.

Easy / hard? For the most part, I'd maintain this is the most accessible of the From games - there are many, many more ways to even the odds, especially after the 'get skilled or go home' approach of Sekiro. There were three big difficulty spikes for me though: Radahan (since patched, thankfully), Malenia and Elden Beast. The latter two drifted into unfairness IMO - there's a certain amount of luck required as you can sometimes simply get caught in a combo you don't really have much hope of surviving. Elden Beast is as much a camera battle as it is a monster battle, because even when you finally get up close enough to attack things get so chaotic you mightn't be able to see what's happening properly and the beast may just unleash a flurry of homing missiles at you from above. I think there's probably room to patch those two fights a tad. But other than that I think it was tough but fair, and the overworld is definitely 'easier' to navigate than many of these games, one or two tricky spots aside (always laugh at that area near Castle Sol where the giant skellies summon and you just need to f***ing run for your life). Most other bosses took a handful of tries - even downed some of the major ones first go.

And final tip: Black Knife Tisch is invaluable, and a much more reliable help than Mimic Tear in some of the final battles.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I beat the boss in the war dead catacombs. I tried to co-0p it many many times, I gave up fice but in the end it was mono v mono. The end went something like this "no no NONONO aaaaaa jump you knt no no tumble tumble tumbe health potion nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo health potion tumble tumble swish swish , neither of us have health swish bosh tumble swush osh swish....he's dead fcunk

The War Dead Catacombs boss is a great joke to be fair.

”OK, so what if we put a massive boss who you usually fight on big open plains into a tiny room?”

😂

• Advertisement

Worse was Yelough Anix Tunnel, nope. Once was enough for that boss type. Checked it on Fextra and couldn't even use the drop so let it kill me and to hell with the 20k runes I dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Mimic Tear, my arse. All you need is Latenna...

She has solo'd 3 or 4 bosses for me now.

Holy **** that's OP

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Exploring a bit of the Atlas Plateau. Went back to Ranni's quest and found a way back to Nokstella. Loads of high level ghost glovewort here. Upgraded the Mimic tear and she is finally starting to pay off.

Think it's time to revisit the twin gargoyles and give them a spanking.

I'm about 80 hours in and about to hit level 100 and don't know how you guys are getting through this in 80 hours.

Saw something else that Latenna can do which is.... insane....

I mean, it makes perfect sense, but the fact she can actually do it is insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭walkonby

Not played much yet, but underwhelmed so far. Just seems like Demon’s Souls 5: now with open world.

When Zelda went open world, they changed the formula, replacing the large dungeons (which had become almost levels in Skyward Sword) with the shrines. But this is just the same Souls gameplay but in an open world.

I also lol’d at the script and voice acting a couple of times, which are as bad as ever.

On this early impression, I won’t enjoy it as much as the Demons remake.

New patch apparently buffs some of Radahn's attacks back to their previous level. Not sure if there are still changes in terms of the speed and AOE of some of those attacks, so they might still be easier to avoid.

From: Oh, sorry, we made him too easy, we're making him harder again.

Incredible 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Co-oping Radahn seemed a lot easier than solo even though you can't fight him on horseback. I went back and co-oped several times and don't think I failed once.

Rewatched the boss battle in War Dead Catacombs this morning. I had no flasks left, a sliver of health and the boss is a one hit. At one point I swung and he hopped back I could almost hear my scream.

• Advertisement

Radahn was a cake walk with the nerf he got so making him a bit more of a challenge is welcome. Kind of felt cheated out of a good scrap.

Advertisement