Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Interesting video from WSJ, the average house in America increased in value more than the average salary in 2021, pretty crazy when you think about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

And you still have people here blaming leftist policies for our predicament

We've gone too far right

Worth a watch to learn how we got here and potentially where we are going. Aimed at western world esp USA but lots of correlation with ireland

In

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭J_1980

House prices didn’t jump like that under trump.

Only when free funny money Democrats came in.

proper low tax, economic right wing, free market countries see no such house price jumps (Switzerland, singapore, Dubai, Japan)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

• Advertisement

house index looks sane. Been stale for half a decade, now going up a bit nothing unusual.

Private home prices in Singapore increased 0.4 percent quarter-on-quarter in the three months to March of 2022, slowing sharply from a 5.0 percent rise in the previous period, preliminary estimates showed.

Already slowing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

price to income ratio in singapore is anything but sane

House prices didn't jump massively before or during corona here either so whats your point? Did Biden affect house prices in Ireland too or is it really just the global effect of people coming out of a worldwide pandemic?

Isn't that just a list of places where houses prices were already very high?

Japan is famous for its multi generation mortgages because prices are so high

I don't think you can count any arab country as its illegal to get into debt so you'd be mad to do property speculation without money in the bank.

Singapore's property market is very limited due to its size

Switzerland is bound to feel the effects of the greater EU inflation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Interesting thesis on the US market that the issue of supply is primarily due to a lack of sellers, and flags that the housing stock per capita is almost identical to what it was in 2008 in the US. Also, that new home construction is outpacing population growth. Finally, that with the major of stakeholders bullish about the market it is indicative that the top has arrived.

A very quick estimate of our housing stock per capita in 2008 versus 2019 would provide the following ratios; 0.437 houses per capita in 2008 and 0.414 per capita in 2019. Interesting indeed and it would indicate to me that the supply coming onstream post-covid from new builds could very quickly lead to an oversupply in the market, at the prices being sought at least, which would result in a correction in the market to at least some extent (even before looking at things like rising mortgage rates and soaring cost of living).

I'd also recommend reading the comments under the article as some ask for more info, critique the analysis as well as back it up. It is a fairly rounded discussion usually under Seeking Alpha articles.

Summary

The U.S. Housing Market is really screwed up. Everyone is trying to buy and first time homebuyers have been left in the dust. In any market, when everyone is bullish that is a good sign the top is near.

There is not a shortage of housing. I would venture a guess that 99.9% of homebuyers currently live in a home. The shortage is in the number of home sellers. The low mortgage rates and pandemic-related reasons that are causing so many people to relocate started the momentum in housing that snowballed into a speculative frenzy. Inflation and rising rents have fueled that frenzy. Then, the threat of rising rates caused a panic in buyers to get into a house at any price to lock in their "once-in-a-lifetime opportunity."

Prices and profit margins have signaled homebuilders to build more. Homebuilders have responded in kind, in the face of significant production challenges. This situation is going to lead to overbuilding. The number of units under construction already far outpaces population growth. Profit signals to stop building will be too little too late, just like 2008.

Now rising mortgage rates are crushing homebuyers. There is a lag of 30-90 days after rates rise before it impacts home sales and prices as many homebuyers have locked in rates over that time. This spring and summer will be interesting, indeed.

Japanese property is extremely affordable. And so is Singapore (it’s cheaper than most big European capital cities despite much higher average net income).

just a bunch of excuses…

alternatively compare American red states vs blue states. Red states have all the net migration (Texas florida etc) and still very affordable. left wing policies always impoverish the middle class, thats why it always fails.

• Advertisement

A quick look at Japan and Singapore and much of their success is down to state involvement in the supply side rather than the demand side here in Ireland.

Now which policy would be considered leftist?

UK and US Middle class have been shrinking for some time

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Shiok

Misread the context of the post, deleted my comment.

Post edited by Shiok on

In one post, you mention Singapore property prices are very affordable. Yet in another, you have linked an article referencing the private property market, which is obviously not.

Giving you the benefit of doubt that you understand you are talking about two different things.. the price of properties in both the HDB & private markets are broadly stable not as a result of "proper low tax, free markets" as you have mentioned, but because of full government oversight in the case of HDB's / social housing and government policy influence in the case of the private market. The price difference is still stark - 400k for a HDB 4-bed versus 5 million to the skies the limit for a private 4-bed. Mr. Dyson famously bought a very nice one for around 70million a few years ago.

Care to elaborate?

Last time I checked Singapore was a rich island with limited scope to build new affordable housing anywhere, they have been reclaiming land from the sea in fact to expand, that's not a functioning property market in the most basic of terms and shouldn't be used for international comparisons.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

house prices went up about 20% from early 2020 ( beginning of covid 19 crisis ) to today , How can you say " house prices didnt go up during corona" ?

Specifically 2020 is when I was referring to, Biden came into power start of 2021 and that's the post I was responding to, its not surprising, you could barely view a house in 2020.

An article from Forbes on the rocketing prices in Phoenix Arizona. Note the sharp correlation with causes in Dublin specifically the competitive advantage given to investors through taxation, plus you have the added problem of making social housing provision an investment product

A quick solution to the low Phoenix and U.S. supply of houses for sale is to level the playing field and to stop giving any tax breaks to landlords that live-in owners don't get. Make it so everyone gets tax breaks on one house, if they own it and live in it, but that’s it–no tax breaks at all related to any other single-family houses or condos they buy in the future. Then watch U.S. house prices become less crazy in both good times and bad.

We have a lot of other economic knobs we could turn to stabilize U.S. housing supply and prices–if needed–but first, the government should at least stop making things worse with its huge, landlord tax breaks.

Post edited by Villa05 on

The impression that it is somehow squeezed to the brim and has no space is false. They are certainly building into more heartland area’s or traditionally quieter neighbourhoods and of course building’s are getting taller but despite having such a small land mass, it has a countryside and smaller ‘towns’. There are also several mini islands that are maintained as old world outposts and nature reserves - I won’t panic that we are reaching full capacity until I hear one of those is being re-zoned!

Lots of land reclamation going on yes, but not necessarily for housing at the moment. The vast majority is down in the CBD, behind the MBS, so the heart of ‘the city’ / downtown SG - lots of offices, hotels, amenities and more green space planned. The smaller projects dotted around the island seem to be for industrial purposes, don’t know much about them. They are also in the process of moving the port away from the CBD into an area of reclaimed land.

I can see first-hand with Singaporean colleagues how the HDB model (80% of population living in public housing) is fit for purpose in Singapore. However I am also one of the first to roll my eyes when it is hailed as a golden solution for Ireland’s housing crisis, esp. as most of the those who place it on a pedestal seem to know very little about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Can't speak to Dubai or Switzerland, but Singapore and Japan have low property price inflation for very very different reasons to the reason you posited there.

Japan: unique zoning laws, demographic decline and housing being long regarded culturally as a depreciating asset (the life of a house in Japan is typically 40-50 years or so before it's torn down and they start again).

Singapore: Heavy state intervention in the provisioning of housing well below prices what would otherwise be market-mediated. 80 percent of people live in affordable government provisioned homes. Anything but free-market let-her-rip policies there.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Olivia Pope

Hi there,

Our plan was to trade up this year. Spent the last year doing all the jobs that need doing for a sale. We decided about a month ago to reassess things. We are in Cork. We will sell our house no problem, but the market is very poor in terms of what we could buy. We are going to park things for 3 to 5 years. Lucky to be homeowners I suppose. Are there others on here like us having to put things on pause for a few years.

Welcome to the Irish housing market, pause is something it does well. The ladder was well and truly folklore

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭JDigweed

Chatting to a nurse in one of the dublin hospitals the other night. Obviously it's well documented how short staffed they are and it seems in this particular hospital one of the main reasons is that the staff they used to get from the Philippines and South East Asia that filled the gaps cannot afford to live here anymore and don't come in the numbers they used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Easier said than done. We put a 2 - 4 year horizon on our FTB last summer approximately but it feels like we are waiting an eternity. But I know it in my head it is the right thing to do and I also know that having a bank account with cash (60k+) is not a bad thing despite what some may have us believe.

That being said, our family situation (young couple with a baby) leaves us with limited options as we need a 3 bed rental or purchase and soon, so we have started the process to try to emigrate (my job is the anchor and I've applied to relocate to Switzerland) as a hedge.

Short story long in the above; (1) waiting 2-4 years IF YOU CAN (ie save); and (2) emigration pressure valve: are the best choices.

The trajectory as I see it over the next two years is further increases and a supply squeeze for another 6 months followed by a freeze in increases or drops and then some form of correction manifesting that might be with us for a couple years at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Sadly, we're in a not dissimilar boat. Trying to get out of Dublin proving very hard. We lost out on a very nice house last year despite putting down the largest offer, all cash won. Still looking...

Post edited by mcsean2163 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

until there are more houses built the market is at a standstill because people won’t put houses up for sale because they will struggle to find somewhere else.

And then depending on what you are looking for it might mean that the only houses being built are in commuter towns as the majority of planning for Cork is apartments that are to expensive to build so are put on hold for years and not built.

If you look at the approved planning for cork there are 1000’s of apartments yet very little have commenced as they wouldn’t be able to sell or rent and make a profit. So despite all the approved planning nothing is being built.

you can guarantee that most of the plans for the Docklands will all be apartments and it will be 10+ years before they will have people living in them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

This is anecdotal, but I've seen a lot more properties up for sale in my area (Dublin 5) than at any other time in the last two years. I counted on my dog-walk yesterday, and I came across ten houses up for sale. It's certainly an increase, but again, it could just be a local aberration.

It will be difficult for Ireland to stay out of a recession, due to the war in Ukraine, according to Tánaiste Leo Varadkar.

The penny has finally dropped..

• Advertisement

Does a recession mean a drop in house prices or is that just wishful thinking? I guess a recession will not lead to more houses being available so I think I've answered my own question.

Advertisement