Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Putin or the higher ups will never face a war crime tribunal (unless there is a coup) but as an act of trying to get themselves back into the international world, they may hand over the lowest level people and give them their script. If they don't adhere to the script their families get whacked. It was all their own doing etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Its funny that the ultra liberals who are proclaimed as "Europe": The Dutch, The Germans, The French all continue to enable Russia and hamper Ukraine, while the Poles and Brits who have been cast as villians by Brussels are leading the fight for Ukraine

• Registered Users Posts: 5,536 ✭✭✭brickster69

Certainly looks like the EU army is a non starter.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

A lot of people are mentally exhausted from worrying about events in Ukraine, which is understandable after a month and a bit of being bombarded with information about it.

It's one of those things that's going to be used to lambast other people no matter what they do, because if one spends all their time worrying about Ukraine, you get people going, "While you're focused on Ukraine, here's what they have been doing!", and if you focus on other things, it's "Oh, looks like people are losing interest in Ukraine..." There's no mixture which everyone could agree is the right one.

As for whether the Western world has the stamina, I should ask does Russia have the stamina? It's not as if Russia can go on and on with this either. They're being hit with sanctions, have piles of bodies coming back (or being cremated, as the case may be), Putin has people quitting the country over their disagreement with his actions. How is that tenable? It's not, is the answer.

That’s true. Ukraine’s victory, and, to an extent, the western world’s, is that Ukraine will still exist as an independent state, albeit probably reduced in size. And then we will get back to ‘normal’

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

@briany - As for whether the Western world has the stamina, I should ask does Russia have the stamina? It's not as if Russia can go on and on with this either. They're being hit with sanctions, have piles of bodies coming back (or being cremated, as the case may be), Putin has people quitting the country over their disagreement with his actions. How is that tenable? It's not, is the answer.

And herein lies the problem.

Putin is digging such a huge hole for himself that the distinct danger now is that he will be squeezed in to such a tight corner, he uses the nuclear last resort. Whether that is a tactical nuke on Ukraine or something much more devastating only he knows.

You will be quite suprised how much support Russia gets from south east Asia and the middle east.

Putins disinformation have done alot of damage the last 20 years.

And then you have Chinese trolls and Ayatollah trolls from Iran backing them up as well.

Its all a common hate and blame game towards the west

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

Gotta hope and that the people that have keys never turn them. Also will half them even launch. Granted probably more than enough to bake the earth either way...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭dasdog

The way things are going and better weaponry being supplied it's more Treaty of Versailles than Ukraine giving up ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,512 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Very good interview with a Russian based sociologist. He says he knew for the last two years at least that Putin would invade Ukraine and try and take the entire country. He talks about how Putin is turning the country from an authoritarian state into a totalitarian one. One very alarming prediction he makes is that the dictator may try and invade Poland and the Baltic states next (which might mean it would be no bad thing if the Ukrainian army was to inflict a humiliating defeat on the Russians - knock the wind out of their sails so to speak).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Bayonet

I was watching French news this morning and there are people literally blaming Macron for rising energy prices, as if he personally hiked the gas prices and there’s nothing at all happening outside of France that’s beyond his control.

Obviously there's a large element of negative campaigning and raw politics, but there’s also an incredibly stupid element in every population that seems to not understand that there are broader factors at play that are beyond their government. It’s perhaps a bigger issue in countries like France and the US where you’ve a large country and an executive / quasi executive president, but you see it to a large degree in the U.K. too - they see domestic politics as being omnipotent and the international issues as being distant, but it’s just shocking.

I mean what do they expect the president to do, magic up some extra gas out of their abundant non existent gas fields and to that by, let’s say… Wednesday week?

It’s also very obvious that elements of the French far right in particular but the more contrarian elements of the far left too are absolutely swimming in the same narrative and propaganda that swims around Brexit and the GOP. Some of the same characters seen around MAGA are even hovering around Le Pen. She also quite literally had Putin on her electoral brochures a few weeks ago and only had them shredded when the war kicked off.

It’s unlikely she’ll get the 50% overall support she would need (two round run off system), but it’s just disheartening to see where things are going over there. It increasingly seems the days of edgy, artsy, interesting, liberal France are long faded.

Hungary will be interesting and we should see what their direction will be in the next 24 hours or so.

Seems though that politics has been drifting towards a coarsening of debate and it’s absolutely caught up in the same influencers, manipulators and propagandists and some of those tentacles certainly seem to go back to Moscow - and in all cases.

I really hope that Putin is stupid enough to take on Poland and NATO,so we can get an excuse to finish the prick off once and for all,but the problem is still 6500 nuclear warheads he sits on.

if he is getting humiliated by Ukraine,imagine the humiliation he will get facing NATO,thats a guaranteed press the red button scenario

Yudin's point is that Putin is very dangerous. Not quite a madman, but an obsessive zealot with a huge chip on his shoulder. He thinks Putin is bonkers enough to invade Poland and the Baltics and to try and 'reclaim' them into the Russian sphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

He won't be that stupid though, it's like hoping the school bully will square up against the local boxing champion.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

I could imagine Putin using a tactical nuclear weapon, if he were to use any sort of nuclear weapon. It just doesn't stand to reason he'd go any bigger than that, if there's any reason left in him. To be clear, to anyone not sure of the 'difference', a tactical nuke is one of a very low yield in comparison to standard nuclear weapons.

This one developed by the USA is supposed to have had no more than a yield of 1kt. By comparison, the Beirut blast had something like 2.5 thousand tonnes of explosive material in that warehouse when it all went off. Maybe Russia has something similar.

But it's crazy we're even talking about the possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,332 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I don't think 'losing' in Ukraine, unless it's a total rout which still looks very unlikely, would be enough to make Putin go full retard with the nukes. Could still see him dropping a 'tactical' one on Kiev, but in the confident expectation the west would not respond in kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭JoChervil

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Oh I'm quite sure some do approve, others have engaged their propaganda reality distortion field because "our" troops don' target civilians.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

@Bayonet take some time away from CA for continuing to post in this thread while threadbanned

The problem is how do you deal with a major nuclear power that’s basically gone rogue?

The comparisons even with tackling the likes of the Nazi German regime and it’s allies in the 1930s and 40s don’t really apply, as none of those powers had weapons that could end civilisation.

From what I can see of it the best we can probably hope for is containing Russia and hoping its own people drive change.

What’s happening in Ukraine is absolutely horrendous beyond words and we are all justifiably outraged by it. The problem is western or any other powers have very limited scope to intervene directly.

A nuclear war is something that just isn’t winnable. It would basically be kamikaze mission and could result in hundreds of millions, possibly even billions dead and decades of dire poverty and probably the end of civilisation as we know it.

It’s a total mess and Putin fully knows how much power he wields because of it.

Seems we are left with a situation where all we can do is keep imposing sanctions and sending a message that they have basically left the civilised world.

Yes, denying responsibility not because they don't approve of it, but because they think it might reflect badly on the regime (even though they are probably secretly thrilled that Ukrainian civilians are being slaughtered).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

It may not be discussed in your " wide social circle " but there is a whole new world out there when you leave primary school!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

You’d really have to wonder about humanity though. The minute a bit of tech comes along someone weaponises it.

Nuclear weapons have to quite literally be the most ludicrous and self destructive devices ever conceived. If a person suggested something similar as tactic in their life, they’d be getting interviewed by a forensic psychiatrist and probably checked into a secure facility. Yet when countries do it, it’s just defence / war.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

To be fair to Glenomra among people I know through life and work Ukraine is being discussed a lot less than covid was. I suppose a huge part of that is covid was affecting us all more personally and directly.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Good run through of the battle for Kyiv, it's scary how the close the Russians came to achieving their goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 garlic bread

I agree with you in ways Glenmora. Personally have been following this invasion online and on TV since it started and it has had a profound effect on me. The depths of evil and depravity that these poor people are being subjected to is hard to comprehend. I have done what little I can, donated money and we are waiting to hear from the red cross regarding taking in refugees here in our home. However, I definitely do notice that a lot of people have moved on now, the talk is covid or the price of diesel. While I understand that its explained as 'compassion fatigue ', I just don't understand it. I wake at night and all I can think about is stories of murders and rapes. I know we have lived through other atrocities (I'm mid 40s), but I think this war will stay with me for a long time. The brutality - hearing about little girls being raped, how can these soldiers be such animals? So while I do agree that a lot of people have moved on, I also think that a lot, like myself and others posting here, have been really affected by this war. It is so hard to believe we are seeing this in 2022.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement