Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Fairly strong team selected for Sunday, with the major changes being Joe O'Connor for Jack Barry and Micheál Burns for Paudie Clifford:

Saw a stat during the week that this is our longest unbeaten run in the League since 1960!

Echo reporting that the Cork game is expected to be moved to Fitzgerald Stadium this week:

https://www.echolive.ie/corksport/arid-40838594.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭kerryjack

If I was a Cork man I would be seriously pissed off with this carry on, they should be all dismissed immediately putting a concert before MFC match, shame on ye and all that's involved with It.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭dobman88

• Advertisement

Lovely article on Ballymac and the Ukrainians staying at the Earl:

https://www.gaa.ie/news/ballymacelligott-gaa-club-welcome-ukrainian-refugees-with-open-arms/

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭kerry_man15

Ridiculous that they have home ground advantage this year and they have their main stadium being used for an Ed Sheehan gig on the day it's needed for a Munster semi-final against Kerry! I mean wtf...

Cork players and management have released a statement saying they will only be playing in PUR. It's just getting embarrassing for them now. It's nothing like the Newbridge or Antrim situations, it's entirely their own.county boards fault and they're not "losing" home advantage, it's a swap deal where they get a home game for 23 and 24 much like the deal when PUC was being renovated.

Cork GAA is an absolute shambles

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Cork players and management have released a statement saying they will only be playing in PUR It's just getting embarrassing for them now.

how is it embarrassing for the Cork players? It wasn't their decision to put a concert at their home stadium and then their 2nd stadium can't be used because it doesn't bring enough revenue in for the GAA. Not having a go here because its a Kerry thread but I think no county would be happy to give away home advantage. Not even Kerry I imagine. The margins are alot worse for Cork though. They haven't a hope of beating this formidable Kerry team at present, too much of a level in class lets be honest, but if Cork had any chance of winning I believe it could only be done at home in PUR. Cork dont have any hope of beating Kerry in Killarney we all know that. County board in Cork are absolute shambles full stop and have made a right mess of everything.

Well, they're not "losing" home advantage. They would get another home game same as the deal when PUC was being renovated. It's a swap, not a loss.

After having the day to think about it due to a slow day in work, I agree with you it's not embarrassing for the players and that was an unfair comment on my part.

I also agree your CB are a shambles and I think this is the Cork team and management making a stand against them more than anything else, even though they couldn't actually say that in their statement. The proverbial straw that broke the camels back for them and they way they've been treated in recent years by the CB imo.

I think the players and management are right and I hope they stick to their guns and I am heading to PUR on the 7th of May.

• Advertisement

I agree totally. The county board have made right mess for everyone. First off it shows their own interests went beyond the Munster semi final. I have no problem having concerts in PUC but at a time when it doesn't interfere with the playing of our own national game. All they wanted was to make max profit by switching the game to killarney. I love Killarney myself and love the atmosphere but they are looking after their own interests in profits. A bulls$it excuse that safety measures arent up to scratch in PUR is the biggest joke I have ever heard for an excuse to not hold a game there.

Everybody loses out here because of the indecision of the Cork County board.

An interesting team named. No surprise to see Dylan Casey dropped. Shane Ryan in goals, number 1 for championship? Seanie back on the bench and Gavin starting is great to see.

I think Dan O Donoghue could have a big year for us so need him back asap also.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Forge83

Probably the best team he could have named. Ryan v Murphy and Geaney v Brosnan the only two spots up for debate really. Brosnan will be used from the bench regardless. If Ryan has a strong game and Kerry win then the number 1 jersey will be his for championship.

Will be interesting to see if O Shea and Moran will be used from the bench. The injury update piece in the paper said there was no hope of Moran until championship and that Breen is most likely out for the year. It also said that O Donoghue and Murphy were both in contention for the final which doesn’t look to be the case.

Mayo have named a strong team with Cillian O Connor on the bench. They are missing Diarmuid O Connor which is a big loss. They look to be doubling down on defence and counter attack naming Coen at full back, Hession at half back and O Shea at centre forward but playing a deeper role around the half back line. Clifford will be double marked by O Hora and Coen most likely so we will need others to take on more scoring opportunities. Having White and O Beaglaoich at 5 and 7 is a big plus for this game with their pace. I wonder will Graham pick up O Donoghue or will Tom O Sullivan be moved over.

Will be a massive test for Jack O Connors ability to make tactical changes as the game progresses.

Fair to say Ryan has won the Battle of the Shanes - flawless with the kickouts and that sideline free was incredible! Not sure Geaney will have done much to silence the doubters so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Forge83

Ryan nailed on for the number 1 now. Geaney redeemed himself in the second half to be fair to him.

While Clifford got Man of the match I thought Adrian Spillane and Jack Barry were immense and would have given it to either, they were everywhere doing all the dirty work. Kerry’s blocking, tackling skills were top class and a far better example of defending then the swarming defence some other teams use. Foley and Morley both excellent and Gavin White outstanding on the attack before he ran out of gas. Brosnan looked good when he came on and will have a big part to play this year whether he starts or from the bench.

On the negative side O Brien was very poor and Tom O Sullivan not up to his usual standards this year so far.

Lastly Mayo were terrible. Missing a lot of players to be fair but still a gutless performance from them. Their persistence using Aidan O Shea will cost them again this year. He handles a lot of ball but does very little with it. Mcloughlin is probably their best version of a playmaker and should persist with him as a starter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

I thought O'Brien had a very good first in fairness, quieter in the 2nd alright. Ya I think Geaney kicked 5 pts. Including 1 outstanding point from distance.

I dont care how many players Mayo were missing. I dont care if we were nearly full strength. It does absolutely no harm to completely demolish and fcking bury them. That makes up for 2019 also.

I've never taken more abuse at a game than I did at that 2019 final when the 2nd goal went in for Mayo. Lads roaring in my face and calling me every name under the sun. One fella ran from the opposite side of our block to roar in my face after it so today is very very sweet.

The funny thing about the antics of some of the Mayo fans that day is I was there with a foreign friend who had never been to a game and we spent the whole time chatting with me mostly filling him in on what was going on with no roaring or shouting. I had a Jersey on, he didnt.

Today feels very good indeed.

And as for O Hora with his antics at Clifford. Well, needless to say who won that battle and he looks like a right eejit.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

In fairness to O'Hora, he gave Clifford a congratulary tap after the goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

It’s a long time since I seen a lad embarrass himself like O Hora did today.

Foley was superb today and overall it was a good team performance.

we are so dogged in defence and it’s beautiful to see

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Neither set of supporters were happy at half time, with Kerry leading by 6 points despite dominating the game for 35mins. However Kerry upped it another gear in the 2nd half.

While Clifford was named Man of the Match and deserved it, I thought Morley, Foley, Adrian Spillane and Jack Barry were phenomenal. I got such a thrill out of seeing Morley tearing up the Cusack Stand side setting up a goal chance which was eventually tucked away by Foley. Both men earned the right to bomb forward after cleaning up defensively.

After all the humming and hawing over whether our Goalkeeper was good enough and whether our midfield were good enough, I thought both Jack and Diarmuid outplayed their opposite numbers throughout (Jack lucky to avoid a black card and Diarmuid unlucky to pick one up). Shane Ryan is now firmly our first choice Keeper with a really calm commanding display.

Mayo were poor and will be a different prospect if we face them later in the year. We won't forget the hammering we dished out to Tyrone last year and who ended up winning Sam by the end of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,545 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I wouldn't reD too much into today's game. I am not sure have a couple of teams chickened out if this year's league. Mayo's management have been messing around with team selection all this year. Is Horan planning to wait in the long grass until later in the year.

Having said that's it's my opinion that an idiot would win an all Ireland with this team. For the last while we picked the wrong idiot. Hope it's not the same this year

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

regarding the 2nd paragraph i have said the same for many years about kerry , i still think Fitzmaurice got a raw deal from some areas of kerry support because that dublin team was so strong , but bar dublin its been nearly 12 years since the league winners won an all ireland

its hard to know how the new championship will pan out with the new format but you will be up there

Fitzmaurice was too slow to integrate younger players into the system. He won a league in 2018 with young players. Then he reintegrated a good few older players that could barely run onto the field.

Fitzmaurice was a lucky coach in 2914 then I. The next four years it just got steadily worse.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

did he have the same quality as what is there now , i never rated peter keane he had plenty of fans for some reason , i work with a few kingdom die hards and none of them taught jack o'connors return was a plus for kerry football which i never agreed with

in fairness to Fitzmaurice he is an excellent reader of the game i still think very few if not no one could have stopped that Dublin team in full flight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

A very complete performance from 1 to 15 today...

Ryan has the keeper jersey... Shane Murphy no one to blame for that only himself.... I still think Ryan lacks concentration at times...

the defence has been the real success story of the league... Massive improvement on the last couple years. The bucks being paid out to Mr Tally are reaping some reward...

Midfield very good... I remember 2019 league final Matthew ruane physically overpowered diarmuid O’Connor who was a young 20 year old that day.. diarmuid has developed physically since then and he most certainly wasn’t overpowered today...

Forwards have never been a problem and showed what they could do today.... I still have my reservations about Geaney... and I’m not gone on Moynihan either... I would like to see a half line of O’Brien O’Shea and A Spillane. Full line of Clifford x 2 and either K Spillane or Brosnan..

Kerry players in general have really developed physically since the last time they played Mayo in a league final in 2019... Jason Foley Graham Sullivan Tadhg Morley diarmuid Connor Adrian Spillane and David Clifford are all much more powerful and stronger players compared with 3 years ago....

obviously the concern is that today was just a league final we have been here before in 2020 and last year and we know what happened after... and it was a victory against a half strength Mayo who you would have to say didn’t look too bothered about the game and how it was going for them.... we also won’t have another proper competitive game til June or whenever quarter finals are being played.... which is not ideal... keeping up that level of performance from now to the end of July if we get to an all Ireland final... will be a serious test of managements credentials

I think the path to an all Ireland is clear... avoid Tyrone and get Mayo in a final... if that happens we’ll win..

Fitzmaurice was a lucky coach in 2914 then I. The next four years it just got steadily worse

An All Ireland is an All Ireland, Its about winning them and Fitzmaurice Kerry team of 2014 beat McGuinnesss Donegal who had been new revelation of tactical football since Micky Hartes Tyrone. Kerry were the better team on the day and deserved that All Ireland. I think Fitzmaurice was a bit unlucky not to win more with Kerry.

think the path to an all Ireland is clear... avoid Tyrone and get Mayo in a final... if that happens we’ll win..

I think Kerry have improved this year and if they keep up this form will be difficult to beat.

Nobody expected h to stop Dublin with the team he had at the time. But after 2016 he still persisted with older players. Not just on the starting 15 but right down through the panel. He made no attempt to integrate players into the team or to start bringing them.on.

He persisted in playing 30 year old players and we losing games rather than bringing on younger ones. All we heard was they were not ready. Remember the 2018 super eights could not qualify out of the group. Following year we hit to the AI final.

On Keane I forgave him in 2020 for the Munster SF loss in hindsight I was totally wrong and he should nearly have gone after the loss to Dublin in 2019.

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

• Advertisement

They have plenty of quality. I supposed a weak Munster isn't ideal preparation for them but they will adapt. One thing about Kerry is they will never fail to show up even when they lose.

Advertisement