Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

List of non-safe neighborhoods in Dublin

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

How am I way off? My post was pretty short, but it doesn't make a single value judgement about Cabra or any other part of Dublin, it simply states my household's educational credentials (cringeworthy I know, but germane to the topic). The mention of classism is also pretty undeniable in the post I was replying to.

Now, as to whether or not Cabra is a "nice" area - I would say it depends. It's in the midst of a serious wave of gentrification, with obvious focal points like the new Hamilton Gardens SHD, the Grangegorman campus, the Luas BXD a few years ago. The redbricks along Cabra Rd and a few of the side streets are approaching a million quid if they're in good nick (not necessarily justifiable but that's the way it goes right now), same goes along Navan Road. East of the railtrack and south of Fassaugh Avenue is a well-facilitated and pretty desirable area, all the way down to Grangegorman and Stoneybatter

It's more complex when you go up around St. Attracta or cross over the tracks into East Cabra around Broombridge. There it's like you say, some streets are grand, some streets are a bit rough, some deprivation and plenty of bored young fellas. It actually seems to be turning into more of a North-South split and its entirely down imo to the North part being less well served with amenities and transport links. Again, those things are happening, driven by an availability of brownfield land and a massive housing shortage. I don't think it's going to take 20 years tbh, by that point the Industrial Estate will have been rezoned into dense residential and there'll be a whole new suburb sandwiched between Glasnevin and Cabra on the north bank of the Royal Canal.

So, like almost anywhere in Dublin, it's a bit of a mad mix, and I don't think you're gonna really have a good overview of that by commuting through on a weekday and counting the dog turds on the street or whatever, people who live here have a good handle on what the area is like, and us blow-ins don't have a lifetime of pride or nostalgia blinding us to neighbourhood problems, we just chose to live here!

Cabra: grand if you're into that sorta thing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

A bit of advice needed here...

I live in an OK part of south Dublin, yet I am having problems with a few "heads" aged mid 30s.

Its verbal abuse, namecalling etc.

Like with any bully, they will not do it when alone.

I went to Gardai, and they are useless. Let us know when they have broken any law.

Its been going on a few years, and I dont know who these people are.

Any ideas, without resorting to violence?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Your paragraph about the Glasnevin industrial estate could be very true depending on the type of housing that goes in. If it's a mix of first time buyers and social housing etc it has great potential - the luas is only right up the road and there are some nice parks around.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,280 ✭✭✭✭Esel

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭ewiz9

thoughts on Firhouse please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Grand, some of them have notions of being Dublin 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭ewiz9

any comments on lucan?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Lucan is a massive postal address. There's all kinds of areas within that, you're going to have to be more specific

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭hamburgham

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

Such a **** thread the more you read it. Some really good spots in some areas you might not consider originally.

Have a drive around the areas your looking at, check out the local school, shops, green spaces and parks. Read news stores, simply typing "X Area" & "Garda" into Google will give you a good idea of crime in the area. Drop into the local coffee shop, have a chat. Talk to Garda at the station.

Some postal address like Rathfarnham & Tallaght are huge and have some lovely houses and not so great spots. Some "nice" spots like Dalkey, Dun Laoghaire, Malahide & Howth can be like hell during the summer. Areas like Drimnagh & Crumlin & Inchicore have been experiencing a huge influx of young first timer buyers & trendy shops but at the same time still have some of the old issues floating around. You really need to go for a walk and have a look at other houses in the area.

• Advertisement
Advertisement