Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Fair cork crowd around.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,310 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Goals were great but we need to keep focus now

Some bad mistakes from both sides

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭jluv

Congrats Waterford! Great game..KK supporter!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Congrats Waterford. By far the better team.

Hon the deise

Nice to win a league title, Stephen Bennett was immense tonigh. Congrats to the squad and management

Bigger tests ahead and we have a nice target on our backs now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,001 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

well done waterford great win , plenty of all irelands knocking around the county at different age groups and club level now , this team wont be far away from the big one this year i imagine

prunty is probably the best full back in the country , Bennett is playing super hurling too that daly lad looks good too in midfield forwards are serious aussie could struggle to get his place back ,9 goals in two league games is some going , liam cahill doing a superb job

• Registered Users Posts: 11 914Deise

Carthach Daly had a fine game on Fitzgibbon

Montgomery too is really staking a place on the starting 15 for championship

• Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭decies

We smashed them !! Enjoy night . Tomorrow we reset and go for bigger things

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭conor05

Montgomery put in a serious shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭JD. 60

Just back from Thurles. Was that good or what. Expected a lot more from Cork but in hindsight, they probable beat a very average Kilkenny team in the semi final. Time for Waterford to drive on.

Before the match, saw some of the non match day squad (in Waterford gear) leaving the Anner Hotel ; Jamie looked in good shape !

• Advertisement

Will the squad have to be cut for Championship ?

Amazing to think of the talent we have that could potentially miss out

The Ballygunner players winning a club AI and league title in the space of 2 months. Great stuff

Decent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Considering Bennett missed 2 matches that’s some shooting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Delighted lads, solid performance and took the most of the goal chances. Great to bridge the silverware gap too. Aussie, Barron and Hogan still to come back. Bring on Tipp in two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭celt262

Go on and lift the big one now serious squad there!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭paddy13

Delighted with the result and very good performance. Next Tipp now ,- looking forward to it now. What a difference Cahill has made to this team and the lift it is given the county.

Also great to be playing an attacking brand of hurling mixed with a great defence.

Really proud of this team!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭spideyman92

It's great to have a team with such quality that there are multiple players that opposition teams have to worry about. Cork did a good job on keeping Dessie quiet for the most part but Stephen they struggled with then. Desssie might have had an easier game had Aussie been playing since they'd have had him to focus on too.

Hopefully the silverware will be a big boost to squad and we'll push on now. Liam has a job on his hands keeping them all grounded and focused with a lot of the country raving about us and the style we're playing. But if anyone can, Liam seems the right man to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭seananigans

agreed, marking Dessie out of the game just gave more space to Stephen, with our numbers where they are,any team against us is like a sinking ship with 11 holes in it, but you only have 10 fingers

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭JD. 60

All roads lead to Walsh Park this day two weeks (I have a minor diversion in Croke Park today, shouting for the better half’s county, Mayo).

I’ve been witness to some awful maulings by Tipperary in recent times ; it’s time now to ‘return the favour’, with interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭skaface

Great to watch this team playing hurling like it should be played

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Great win and the 2 goals came at the perfect time. Cork weren't that far off the pace in retrospect and Barratt missed a good goal chance. I do accept Waterford missed a few aswell. There seemed to be great balance in the team last night. The right amount of workers and artists up front. I think you need 3 of each up front. Montgomery is worth his place. Great man to do a specific job and release others. Bennett is so good with the ball in hand.

I hope the form continues against Tipperary. They ll start like a fire in Walsh Park. It's their only hope but I don't see Waterford losing that if they are any way right. The following Saturday night match v Limerick in the Gaelic Grounds. Well it's about time Waterford put that fear of the Gaelic Grounds to bed. And I'd hope Waterford people would make a night of it and book a hotel and enjoy Limerick. Its a great sporting city ...

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

One thing for sure, cahill won’t be sitting back admiring himself, he’ll have everyone tuned in for Tipp in Walsh Park in 2 weeks already. That is a MUST win game for us if we are to progress out of Munster, given we have to go down to face Limerick in the Gaelic grounds 6 days later. Take our eye off the ball here and championship could be over before we know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,596 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Weird one here - but where did you get these graphics from? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Great win last night and well done to the team. The two goals in a minute made the difference and after that, Cork became unsure of what to do and we pushed on from there. They started doing a lot of 5 yards passes that were going nowhere and handling errors. Up to that point, they had Horgan isolated in front of goals which was causing problems, especially with the sun in their eyes. Once we got the gap, they kept ticking over points and Cork didn't seem to know whether to chase the game or not. Bennett's goals show that we can do the tight passing or the direct ball up the field. I thought Daly was very impressive.

A huge change in performance since i saw them against Dublin, like two difference teams and way more polished in their stickwork and passing. Nice to get on the pitch too, very good of all those kids to charge on at the end. I'd say Dessie and Stephen must have been there until 10 last night signing anything that was given to them and photos too. Fair play to them and the Cork players for staying out and doing that, lovely to see and wish I'd brought a marker!

Not many Waterford players past and present have 2 national league medals

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

This was the team in 2015.

Aussie, Tadhg, Dunford, Paudie Mahony and Stephen Bennett the 5 who will get a second medal. (Hopefully Jamie Barron will be back soon!)

Waterford

1. Stephen O’Keeffe (Ballygunner)

4. Noel Connors (Passage)

3. Barry Coughlan (Ballygunner)

2. Shane Fives (Tourin)

6. Austin Gleeson (Mount Sion)

5. Tadhg De Burca (Clashmore Kinsalebeg)

7. Philip Mahony (Ballygunner)

8. Jamie Barron (Fourmilewater)

10. Kevin Moran (De La Salle)

15. Colin Dunford (Colligan)

11. Pauric Mahony (Ballygunner)

14. Michael Walsh (Stradbally)

12. Jake Dillon (De La Salle)

21. Maurice Shanahan (Lismore)

22. Stephen Bennett (Ballysaggart)

Subs

13. Brian O’Halloran (Clashmore-Kinsalebeg) for Dunford (58)

9. Tom Devine (Modeligo) for Bennett (60)

23. Shane O’Sullivan (Ballygunner) for Dillon (66)

18. Martin O’Neill (Mount Sion) for Gleeson (69)

19. Gavin O’Brien (Roanmore) for Barron (71)

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Ballyvoile Boy

A serious attitude from Waterford right now. It was not even a flawless performance, so I think there is more in the team even than that. They believe in themselves right now & that will be the crucial factor for the next 2 matches against Tipp & Limerick. Selection headaches for management too if everyone becomes available in a fortnight. Even if Jamie Barron is a bit delayed coming back, who comes off to make space for Iarlaith Daly or Austin Gleeson?

Still, the lads will know there could be a sting in the tail from Tipperary yet, so no one will underestimate them. Their potential will taken very seriously & I reckon Cahill & Beavans will have the Waterford players grounded.

Next up - the row over tickets :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

What’s the story with tickets going on public sale? Last time we played home games in Walsh park they ended up not actually being 100% sold out, which was a surprise.

Advertisement