Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 viewofthehill

Hi All,

I started looking into solar in September last year and had got a number of quotes at the time. Due to a death in the family over Christmas my mind has been focussed elsewhere and I had forgotten about solar until EI announced their price increase during the week. I have contacted on or two of the suppliers that I contacted in late 2021 but some are not based locally and with fuel prices increasing am interested to know if there are any other installers that could be recommended. I'm based in the Limerick region and have a fairly good idea of what I need.

Any recommendations are gratefully accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 techtrainer

Yup. I got a quote, but not had a follow up to my questions. Guessing they are too busy for their own good

• Registered Users Posts: 32 burgerland

Hi Maulbrook,

If you get a chance can you send on the details of your supplier. I know this thread is mental busy over the last couple of weeks and your flat out answering queries!

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,328 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I think they do, but as much as I champion their work and prices, I personally wouldn't want an install from a company quite that far away.

Any follow up needed and you'll be a long oul drive for support.

I had no big issues but did need a wee configuration adjustment with CT clamps etc. He was with me within a few days. Doubt it would have been so fast if I was in Cork. Its just not practical.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Baoithin66

That seems a good deal. Could you pm me the company details. thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I’m in Cork. Could I get some recommendations for reliable installers please?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭quartz1

I am also in Cork and I would appreciate very much if anyone would pm me recommended installers around Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭quartz1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭dmigsy

My system was installed yesterday. 16 panels, 6.4kw, Eddi, 6k inverter. 7k after grant. Installers did a fine job and it's great to see the Eddi kicking in at half 8 in the morning. Thanks to all on this thread for PM's and info. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭deravarra

Hi, thats great :)

Those panels - are they 400w panels?

And what size hot water cylinder do you have?

Any plans to get batteries added in the future?

• Advertisement

Yeah 400w panels. 300L tank. I won't get a battery as I plan to get an EV in a year or two that can be used as a house battery. I wfh so it will be on the drive >90% of the time. That will have at least a 60kwh battery so no value in buying a relatively small battery now which will be mostly redundant in a year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭cloughy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Just bear in mind that if the EV is on the driveway 90% of the time, if you fill the battery on Monday.....are you going to drive 50Km on Monday night/Tuesday morning to make space (10Kwhr) for surplus on Tuesday? It's certainly not an easy question to answer, but my gut feeling is that most houses with an EV would be well suited for a 5kwhr battery.

Well done on the install btw, good price too!

Cheers. I can't make the numbers work on a battery to cover a year or two (or three!) until I get an ev and then <10% of the time after that. Bidirectional ev charger costs are a bigger barrier to my V2H plan at the moment. Hopefully that will change over the next couple of years. Plenty of time to learn about my usage and self consumption data over that time too. My thoughts on a small battery might change too once I have more of my own data.

Why is 'making space' for surplus energy important? If a big car battery is full, great but some power will get used overnight in a V2H setup anyway. Sure, sometimes some surplus will get exported but the goal isn't complete self-consumption, it's minimising import.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Orebro

All the Cork gang are on the scene it seems!

@MAULBROOK I would really appreciate the details of the Cork supplier also if it’s not too much trouble, thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

On the way, The people's Republic of Cork are certainly going green.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭alan kelly

With regard to some of the PV install Battery quotes ie 5kw. Are they AC or DC batteries ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Well all batteries are DC.

But I think I know what your asking, is the batteries connected to a hybrid(solar and batteries) or a storage (batteries only) inverter.

Nearly all ones quoted are hybrid inverters.

Thanks, I suppose the reason im asking is I've ordered a PV system with a 5k Pure Drive battery. I looked at the Pure Drive website and they said their AC Batteries could charge at night rate using their smart technology and utilise during the day when the kph usage is more expensive. I didn't say their DC batteries could do the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

You will be able to the charge the DC battery at night by setting it on the hybrid inverter.

If it's a Solis hybrid - PIN 0010

First step is to make sure you Set Storage mode to self-use mode 

Advanced Setting->Storage Energy Set->Storage Mode Select->Self Use->ON 

Enable charge from grid function

Advanced Setting->Storage Energy Set->Storage Mode Select->Self Use-> Charge from grid->Allow

Set time charging to ON

Advanced Setting->Storage Energy Set->Storage Mode Select->Self Use-> Time of Use->RUN

Select a charging time to set force charging the battery for the period selected

Advanced Setting->Storage Energy Set->Storage Mode Select->Self Use-> Time of Use->Charging time

Ah brilliant stuff, Thanks for the detailed response Ha Long Bay,

I am getting a 5 KW SOLIS HYBRID INVERTER. This is prob another little benefit that doesn't seem to be talked about that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

Evening folks

so I’m about to pull the trigger (as in tomorrow), but looking for people views on going above 10kW on battery.

due to the car we are averaging about 20kW a day, while the 5kw solar array will help in the summer. During the winter when the heat pump is running and the rest of the house is going, we’ll be drawing on average between 3-6kW at any time during peak hours.

going to go with 10kW at least but I’m very tempted to go with 15!

also did anyone go with micro-inverters over standard string inverter?

also if anyone has Pylontec can you drop me a PM please

Probably better suited to the "Solar Batteries Options. (Solar PV battery options - Page 66 — boards.ie - Now Ye're Talkin')

As regular readers will know, I'm fairly positive on batteries......but with the proviso that you need to do your math. I assume hick that if you are talking about Pylontec then you are talking about off the shelf? The problem with large off the shelf batteries is that it's a fairly significant outlay. 15kwhr in batteries is going to be €5000-6000? More? With a 5kwp in panels and the loads that you have, I would think that you'll struggle to fill 15Kwhr off solar. 10kwhr might be doable, but not sure you'll have the surplus to fill that, esp if you have an EV in the mix, or if you fill the battery for the house use, then there won't be anything going into the EV. I'd be looking at upgrading to 8-9Kwp in panels for a 15kwhr battery as they are all interconnected.

Now of course you might be thinking of load smoothing (filling it at night rate for day time use) and while that does generate money, you need to be careful with the math. I generate €1/day during winter on 8.2Kwhr, but I've a consistent load (mining) and that doesn't change. With a heat pump, you probably won't use much during summer, and again....the math may not work out for you.

If at all possible, a DIY battery would be the way to go. I know that is daunting for some (incl myself), but I think it's worth at least investigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭The devils

Have to agree with you on this.

I thought "definitely need to upgrade asap to 15 kw" but no , not just yet for me anyway.

I have ev + heat pump (albeit thermodynamic), but it's fine. Get the panels in first and then add batteries to your 10 kw bank. IMO

👍👍Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭adrianglass

HI Folks - quotes just in from a local installer here in West Cork

1) 8 x Longi panel (3kW), eddi, no battery €7637 - grant 2100 = 5537

2) 8 x Longi panel (3kW), eddi, 3.6 battery €11372 - grant 2100 = 9272

3) 12 x Longi panel (4.5kW), eddi, no battery € 9092 - grant 2400 = 6629

4) 12 x Longi panel (4.5kW), eddi, 3.6 battery €12644 - grant 2400 = 10244

All plus €1k for scaffolding + BER Assessment for SEAI grant

All figures inclusive of VAT.

House is small 3-bed detached, built 2004, south-facing roof, ground-source heat-pump, two adults home all day.

Which system sounds more suitable for us, and comments on the cost, please?

Thanks!

For your size house quote 4) is a decent spec, but wouldn't be paying anywhere near €10K for it.

5Kwp panels, 5Kwhr battery, eddi should be in about €8500-9000. Only problem is that most of the "regular suppliers" that i know of are from the northern part of Ireland (Sligo etc), dunno if they'll do west cork, but I think Maulbook has info on one?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,328 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Option 4 is probably the best for your needs, option 3 is the least poorly priced, but they're all pretty expensive. Adding the scaffolding cost separately is a bit weird.

If have to say in all cases the costs look very high. To put it in perspective I have a quote for 5kW panels, eddi and 5kW battery for 9k after grant.

it’s about 2.5k per 2.5kW of battery,

about 500 for eddi and 1400 for inverter

so my 5kW panel outlay, and install is roughly is roughly 3

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply both

yes my plan is top up battery with solar. I reckon I can get about 6.5kW up on the roof with my config. Would look at optimisers too for final quote to ensure I’m getting the best from the panels.

I need to be able to ensure I can top battery up first. Then car. I’m not so worried about outages, a least long term ones (going to put a generator shunt in when we are doing install for fun).

I reckon you’re right, will start off with 10kW and can add in more later.

mu main focus is to drop the reliance on pulling from the grid and when I do, to be leveraging the cheapest rate available!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement