Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your thoughts on the fertiliser price s for 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

If you need it you need it, if you can get away without it then you don't.

If not having it is going to cause you problems then you need to take action.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

It is needed but many drystock farmers can't buy it at €1100 or even at €550 that's how tight margins are for them. So holding tough and hoping they might get a break could work out. Current prices relative to the sale price of Beef or Cereal is not sustainable so either there will be cutbacks or new sources of fertilizer will start to appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,667 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It depends on your system. Ya suckler's farmers cannot. But if you are a drystock farmer working on s margin you adjust your buying price accordingly to costs. I am adjusting my costs by about 100/ head this year. If I cannot buy for that price I will not replace.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I'm beef and lamb, I'm cutting back this year and have enough for silage ground and a few paddocks.

There were years when it was 3.60 base that youd wonder was the response even enough to justify it.

People would want to think out the possible routes and problems if they apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭straight

So if you can't burn some other poor farmer you will do without them. Well, I hope then that you will be left without....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭epfff

I do hope all farmers have bumper year but I am on bass side here it's not his social responsibility to prop/subsidise/worry/ensure his supplier of stores gets a good profit because I can assure you his customer for beef certainly doesn't care if he gets margin.

First off nobody tried to burn anybody. If you on a margin you have to manage that margin. Lads with stores are already on selling to protect that margin so as to buy no fertilizer.

Because I have cattle, I have to manage there outcome. If I cannot make a margin I burn capital. If you do that you will go out of business in 3-4 years anyway. If there are lads that can make a better margin they can squeeze a better margin than I can, they will squeeze me out of business.

If they out bid me and there is no margin they burn capital and I am back in the game.

Slava Ukrainii

I'm more of a seller than a buyer myself. But I couldn't be underpaying anyone or taking advantage. Just like I don't like to be taken advantage of myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭epfff

How could paying market value be considered taking advantage?

I can't get my head around farmers/suckler farmers thinking that because of there expense the next in supply chain should be forced to lose money as well and then get indignant when you refuse to buy.

It's like the guys on donedeal that have the real good stock i won't tell you the price until you drive half way across the country but you will buy them when you see them. No I won't because beef is a certain price and it doesn't matter how good they are beef is still only a certain price.

Rant over just had a weekend of dealing with lads that insisted they had titanium and wanted gold prices when a most of them had pyrite but insisted that I had to buy. Mart only place to buy cattle for few months until reality hits store producers.

Rant definitely over this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Markcheese

https://youtu.be/xHRKdHaOrXs

Worth watching for a few mins , and this isn't infallible ...obviously.

But the instability that could happen in the world when grain runs low ...

Then the ethical issues- should we in Ireland be using tillage land for cow feed ?

Or fertilizer to grow grass ?

Rather bleak reading if youre in pigs or poultry for the next few years -

And a huge curve ball will be the bio- ethanol corn industry in the states - if the Americans sell it as grain for food it could help Avert a lot of hunger - if it gets used for fuel ....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭amacca

FWIW I'm not trying to take advantage of anyone when I'm buying or selling but....when buying there's a price I'm willing to pay and I've worked out in advance what that is based on what I think the margin will be on that product in up to 2 yrs time (which can be like reading tea leaves) .............I feel my only real power in that type of negotiation is to set the max price in my head, dont let the buyer know what that is and start lower than it if bargaining/bidding and be truly willing to walk away and make sure to demonstrate it if its a regular seller you deal with.

When I'm selling it should be the same except for the industry has age limits etc that squeeze you but I still like to understock to have the power to withdraw stock on a regular basis and train the buyer to know I'm a strong seller and if they want it they will have to at least get to market rate....and if that rate is **** ill hold on for as long as is sane and do my damndest they go to another buyer (I budget a bit to have this as an option although I try to avoid incurring too much expense by selling at opportune times so I don't have to do it at all).........

afaic the only real power a buyer or seller has is the option and willingness to walk away, thats why I hate these effing age limits...even moreso as I cant see how they are anything other than an industry lever and bad for the environment to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭Dunedin

I don’t think anyone is setting out to burn anyone but they are setting out their own stall in terms of what they can afford or not and nothing wrong there. Bit like going to buy a car - we might all like a BMW but realistically we can’t afford it so we don’t buy.

And if Bass or any other Bass decides not to buy/replace, they’ll be down the normal margin they might have got but that’s their decision and they’ll adjust their system accordingly as Bass has said. Again nothing wrong with that and they’d be a busy fool to do otherwise.

as I’ve said many’s a time regarding the current cost, no winners anywhere unfortunately.

Well, I used to like a BMW when I was younger but every wannabe jumped up sh1t bought one in the boom and turned me off. Am an EClass Merc wannabe now or a Porsche.

I can understand the guys on tight margins buying but being a seller myself and seeing the carry on in the Marts it sickens me. If only we could all make a few bob along the line.....

And don't talk to me about assholes on done deal. I always put down a price and try not to be a timewaster.

It's not about underpaying or taking advantage. As I have said over the years as a finisher I work on a margin. If cattle go up in value I pay more for my stores if the go down or costs increase I can have to adjust what to pay to maintain my margin.

At present I expect the increase in costs in my grass based system is about 70 for fertlizer per head( working off a five year average of 400/ ton against 850/ paid this year) and about 25 in extra feed costs ( allowing for 150/ ton extra for ration if it less my costs decrease). On top of that I expect silage to costs 10/ head extra ( 2.5/ bale and a euro for plastic). That is an increase in costs if over 100/ head.

Against that at present cattle are 60c/ kg ahead of the prices I got last year. On a 335kg carcases that it 200 euro. If my cattle make that kind of average from July to late autumn I expect to be paying 80-120/ head more for stores.

However if prices are 30c/ kg less I be paying on par with what I paid last year. If the base goes 30c/kg better I be paying 200/ head more.

If the base drops back to last year price I be back down a hundred/ head below last year's prices. Anything extra benefit.is passed down the line there fore any loss is passed down as well. Remember as well I buy all my cattle in a mart

This is the point a lot of us who supported the strike two years made. We made the point that the extra money flies back down the line.

Slava Ukrainii

Ban on russian and russian operated shipping from EU ports.

https://twitter.com/vonderleyen/status/1511321785123414020?s=20&t=V-0LweJfri166oG_EXRegg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭alps

• Registered Users Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭alps

Some queue waiting for Auginish Alumina

May not apply to all shipping, I saw mention but I haven't been able to find details......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Agri and energy may have some exemptions

• Registered Users Posts: 11,592 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Very rare to see a ship under a Russian flag.

Netherlands, Cyprus or a Caribbean country are popular enough.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Talking to a rep today, said he can get 18-5-12+S at less then €800 a tonne, I assume there wouldn't be that much difference to 18-6-12 for grazing ground. 18-6-12 is about €930 he tells me but could be awhile before it he has.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

My CAN arrived yesterday, it’s 26 N + S from Grassland, when i got Cutsward last year it was 23-2.5-10 +S, seems to be very common now for Sulphur to be added and N reduced a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Tileman

18:6:12 was 910 here today in Conor. Has come down a bit over the past month.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Sulphur is important in the first half of the year. Worth it for silage ground as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Urea + S ordered 18th Feb only landed yesterday, no rush to go spreading until it warms up a bit

I be checking ground temperatures. If above 7C I would be spreading when a 24-48 hour window allows ( which is all about the time at present). On silage ground I would split the application.

Even when spread it take 2-3 days for Urea to start working. Growth is slow but it's still present.

Fertilizer grows nothing in the bag. Fields with covers at present are moving

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭DBK1

I’d be agreeing with this too. It’s definitely time to be getting it out now. The only exception I’d make would be maybe if you have fields that got slurry in the last few weeks. You could maybe delay a little bit then but any land that got nothing at all yet needs to be getting it quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭James2022

Despite the cold snap grass that got fertiliser last week is jumping up now, any yellow patches are bright green.

Sulphur is very important for the nitrogen to work, new grass leaves and also for the quality of your silage. It's added into fertiliser more nowadays because we understand its need better and also because there is less sulphur in the atmosphere to rain down on crops. It's a balancing act but there is to much emphasis on N and not enough on S so that's why the numbers are being brought down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Silage ground got 1 1/2 bags of urea last week after getting slurry a month ago. Got plenty of rain since. Shut the gate now till the middle of may and hope for the best

Advertisement