Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scone and a coffee - how much is too much?

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

No I don't work for the establishment.

People have a choice here to pay that amount should they choose to, if they choose not to they can still go else where in town and get a coffee/scone for half the price. Nobody is forced to do anything here.

Your logic seems to be a scone is a scone, end of.

Would you argue a car is a car too and be hating on anyone driving a Ferrari or Rolls Royce when they could be driving a Dacia Duster?

€15 to some people is nothing, that's their business, and how they spend their money is none of your business so stop hating on those who choose to treat themselves because they can.

I'd say the hotel was delighted the paper got involved, more free publicity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭KieferFan69

No I agree, it is surely ^not about food or beverage, I assure you we agree on this point at least.

In your opinion. For the people who appreciate what they are getting and where they are getting it, it may seem like good value. They respect the customers they want to attract if it’s good food and is exclusive. Maybe they don’t want loads of people in their establishment, they want people who don’t mind paying €15, and if they have the clientele, that’s good business.

I really don’t see why this so upsets you, is it because you are not their target market? If people want to go in and pay more to sit in this hotel, or any other, that’s their choice. You have to be a bit thick to think that a coffee and scone in a fancy hotel is going to be the same price as your local caf.

Yes the analogy with cars is very poor. Any Tom dick and harry can create sumptuous scone but youtry to create bodywork for octavia or coupe you will have to go China, plus, nobody is buying second hand scones so analogy is poor, I cannot pass my misfortune onto someone else with the scone

I get these expensive scones are too sweet also. You go to my house you will eat delicious scones that cost nothing and I do not buy in bulk but then again I am not rip off merchant with notions. Huge variety of scones, white, spelt, raisins, sweet, plain, brown- I assure you to ask unsuspecting customer (if he did not see price he will have never guessed of price) it is vulgar to charge more than a fiver , and you can keep your cream too, also dead cheap

no this is very poor look for hotel, ordinary people are repulsed and the rich are embarrassed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

You missed the point again.

It's not just about the scone as numerous posters have tried explaining to you.

The analogy I used is accurate to the logic your applying here.

Drop your jealousy and negative limitations you have around money, everyone has different amounts of it and can choose how they wish to spend it.

I wonder do they warm these beauties in themicrowave before they serve to clients

i

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

This is a very strange post.

You are now giving out that the scones are too sweet, despite having not tasted them. Then you are boasting that there are delicious scones in your house (minus the cream ???) What has scones at your house got to do with anything.

Has anyone here ever gone for afternoon tea? It’s €50 - €60 per person and €70 plus with a glass of fizz. You could mane a cuppa tea and a Tayto sandwich at home but that’s not the point.

Yes nobody is talking about afternoon tea, usually this will include vertical aligned sandwiches , cakes, pastry and hot coffee. The fact you confuse a place selling Tic-Tac scones with afternoon teas shows how out of touch people are today. There is good ones and bad ones but nothing exclusive about scone. I recommend baking course to relieve yourself of mystery and notions.

And nobody is talking about scones in isolation.

I’ll say no more in this thread as there may be employees of hotel. People are allowed to make living whichever way they want as long as not breaking any laws , but myself and many others would be embarrassed to try and pull this

• Advertisement

Yes no doubt some people desire to be fawned over like royals by low wage staff and recreate aristocrat traditions, I find that sad too, I prefer to see people serving me food as peers, it is just a friggin scone, tiny little M&M scones, but I’ve said my part

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,558 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I looked at the Cashel Palace menu just there and guess what, I was bang on the money.

the afternoon tea itself is €50, Prosecco tea is €60 and €70 for champagne tea. That would lead me to believe that The Cashel Palace is priced in line with other 5 star hotels.

The original story was misleading…a scone and a coffee for €15. But it’s actually a portion of scones, laid out like you’d expect in a five star hotel.

Im not confusing anything. You are. You don’t have to go to The Cashel Palace or any of those places, if you can’t afford it and this calling people notions if they want to treat themselves, is just begrudgery.

Same people giving out probably smoke, €15.50 for ten cigarettes, now that to me is a waste of money, but each to their own.

you are only one talking about afternoon tea. The rest of us are talking about scones size of maltesers sold at malodorous price. You can defend all you want, also other people have right to call a scone a scone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

It doesn't upset me. If you actually bothered to read the thread you'd clearly see that people don't expect to pay the same as a local cafe. Theirs quite a difference between expecting to pay more and expecting to pay almost 3 times more

Just another correction - good food is not “exclusive”. This is very naive on your part and we can see the rot very clearly at the core of the apple. I remind you that you are talking about scones also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Can I get some clarification here as this is hugely important in the context of the discussion.

First you said the scones are the size of an M&M, then you say they are the size of maltesers.

Which is it and if it's M&Ms, is it peanut M&Ms or the other flavours which have a smaller circumference?

• Advertisement

Again, the food is only part of the cost, location is also a factor. It isn’t hard to understand that where you buy a product or service is going to be reflected in the price charged.

And before you ask, I have no connection to this hotel, I just understand that they are free to charge what they want, and if they have the clientele to sustain it, they are dead right. No one is forcing you to eat there, and if you don’t ask beforehand about the cost, it is caveat emptor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,558 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Don't feed the troll (scones or otherwise!)

🙄

Advertisement