Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WrestleMania 38 *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Great too see Cody return to professional wrestling after being away for so long.

Very impressed from what I saw from Paul. I really enjoyed his match.

Austin was just amazing. It looked like he'd never been away.

Night one overall was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,835 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Took Austin a few minutes to warm up! So good though. Taking suplexes on the concrete. 😮

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

I thought that was a solid WM show mostly enjoyed it. Cody's return was pulled off right, Logan Paul was fantastic and I didn't have any issue with who won all the matches which is rare for a big WWE show

I just don't understand why on earth they didn't book Austin wrestling Owens in a match instead of booking an appearance on the KO show. They would have bagged so much more attention, ratings and tickets sales over the past month or two

• Registered Users Posts: 12,835 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Yep. As it turned out, Stone Cold actually headlined Wrestlemania in a proper match.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,182 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

He probably wouldn't do it full time because he doesn't need the money/travel etc but Logan Paul could be great in wrestling.

The 3 Amigos and Frogsplash was some of the best heat I've seen in a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Was it all just a pop for Cody or was there booing? My audio wasn't clear and I was hearing some weird distortion from the crowd that sounded like booing and the Cody chants had to fight to drown them out.

Just to be clear I hope there was no booing as anyone doing so is just a knob.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭TheLocalMan95

What a weird take. You have to cheer someone otherwise you're a knob.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,004 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I know! I popped for the fact it became clear we were getting an actual match of some description and not the rock against the wyatt family carry on. It’s good that he got to write his final chapter.

In that moment what need is there to boo other than to be one of those fans who has to get themselves over with their pals?

By all means the crowd reaction will be what it is towards Cody from hear on out, but last night should of just been appreciation for a guy that worked his ass off to get back to that level in the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Had to tap out last night just after Becky v Bianca so I caught up with the rest this morning. Enjoyable show overall. The things that annoy me about WWE are still there (the god damn camera cuts, Charlotte in general..) but it did feel like Wrestlemania. The main event was as good as you could expect from Austin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Good show overall.

As others have said, Logan Paul was a surprise. Though the bottom rope being a bit off compared to the other 2 was a bit annoying. 😀 I blame Drew. I was wondering how secure the ropes were when they had to rush to fix them. I know they're professionals and had time during the video packages. But the bottom rope made it seem like it wasn't right. Maybe Drew was meant to cut through that as well.

Shame about Boogz.

Cody got a big return anyway. Though still can't help wondering what was he thinking when he got that tattoo? I think the worst thing about that match and pretty much all his matches, is how they constantly refer to Seth as "Seth Freakin Rollins". They just seemed to really overdo it more than usual this time. Like they've shortened names before, yet seems every time they mention him they refer to him as that rather than just saying "Rollins" or "Seth".

Not sure who Bianca will face now. Asuka must be due back soon as well as Bayley. Maybe an Io callup. Though I think Becky won't be backing down. So maybe rematch at the next PPV then move on. So need opponents for both Bianca and Becky.

Most distracting thing during the Charlotte/Ronda match was what I assumed were sequins from Charlotte all over the ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Didn't realise Austin was having a match. I thought it would be a segment ending in a stunner. If I'd known that, I would have ordered it. Did WWE miss a trick by not advertising he was having a bout? Feel like a lot of lapsed fans like myself would have come back had it been well signalled in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Davy05

I bet Mysterio woke up this morning still feeling those suplexes from Logan Paul!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭hynesie08

But he's not a Babyface or a heel so why would he care?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,004 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I think WWE didn’t want to over promise what would happen because the last time he wrestled at mania 19 due to his health issue the night before they didn’t know what would happen, and he’s 19 years older. I mean Austin could’ve slept wrong and woken up yesterday morning and not feel good enough to wrestle and then where are they ?

Watched it again anyway with proper build, no boos. Apologies I jumped the gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,010 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Have to agree with a general consensus a really good night 1. Roll on night 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,182 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

They looked vicious but still perfectly safe at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I have to agree with MNG above. I haven’t watched a minute of wrestling since Mania last year and would be the very definition of a lapsed fan, but if they were advertising Stone Cold to wrestle a match at Mania, I 100% would’ve ordered that or streamed it or however the hell you watch it these days.

I missed out now and wouldn’t be inclined to watch a repeat as the moment has passed. It does feel like they missed a trick alright, because not only would it draw in more lapsed fans, it gives them an opportunity to convert those fans back to weekly viewers again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I totally get what MNG and martyos are saying and I think WWE were desperate to advertise it as a match but were probably scared shitless Austin would change his mind on the day or in the run up.

I think another poster said similar but there's obviously a reason they didn't just make it as a match from the get go.

Anyways I've no idea how night 2 is going to come anywhere close to night 1, Austin done changed the game as they say.

Oh yeah, all is good with mum and baby he was born at 7.58am this morning so definitely a WrestleMania baby 😜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Congrats man is it going to be Kevin or Steve?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭ThePott

His name should be Stu, short for Stupendous

• Registered Users Posts: 38,455 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

So will Roman or Brock be on both raw and sd or will Raw create a new world title ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I'd say Austin himself vetoed them from advertising a match. I listen to his podcast now and again, and he has consistently said getting back in the ring (and possibly looking like crap) might tarnish his legacy. So if the match is a surprise bonus, it can't really disappoint. But if you bill it for weeks, you risk people feeling short changed.

Enjoyed that show after extremely low expectations!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,698 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Gave it watch this afternoon after seeing good reviews and it was grand with some decent matches however if that's the bar for WM now it's very disappointing there was some good to very good in ring matches with Becky & Bianca being the best.

Great to see Austin taking that suplex onto the concrete testing out his body right there to see can it take that one last run I'd say he is sore today and if he does go on that run his cardio will improve.

Cody is Cody it looks like for now he will be given some leway to stay in his own Codyverse and Seth was probably the right guy to use for that.

Cody's promo on RAW will be intersting to see and might give an idea of where in the card he will land when the WM hype cools down.

I can't stand the Logan brothers however they are pro's at making money and both are decent athletes so no surprise that he could work in the ring.

Ronda and Charlotte both looked uninterested.

Drew has fallen a long way from when he headlined and won the title at WM 36

Boogs injury looked really bad.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Apparently it's a torn quad patella and he needs surgery. Such a shame for Boogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭cena

Lads my mother enjoyed the Austin flight. I watched it with here this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,713 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

I’m not an avid wrestling watcher anymore so excuse my ignorance, but what’s the story with Ronda? I was read an article a while back where she bad mouthed the WWE, calling it a fake sport and calling out Becky Lynch using her real name and such. Was it a non kayfabe work or something?

• Advertisement

Cody really came across as a big star. Definitely think he can be a big star for WWE if booked right.

Advertisement