Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baptising children

Options
  • 03-04-2022 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3 pi_anon_argh

Long time poster going anon...

I just had a long discussion with my wife about baptising our children as Catholics. We never baptised the first (and Covid made it not an urgent matter), and now she is talking about baptising again with the second.

I am dead set against it. I was raised as a Catholic. I used to have a lot of faith until my mid-20s, mass every week, etc., but the various aspects eventually turned me off. The abuse scandals that constantly came out, along with gays going to hell, unequal treatment of women, etc. I'm an atheist now.

She was raised in more of a laidback Catholic family - mass not a weekly feature. She has never gone to mass since I've met her except for funerals and weddings, anniversary masses and Christmas mass with my parents. She says her faith doesn't require her to go to mass or to the church.

I don't want my children anywhere near the church. I didn't want to get married in a church, but relented when she invoked the memory of her deceased aunt who was a nun. I thought that my compromise there would be enough, but she saw it more as an acceptance of future baptisms. I felt like an arse lying to the priest and in front of the entire congregation about how much I love God and Jesus, and now she's asking me to do more of it.

I said that if we get them baptised, we're 100% committing to what we promise - mass every week, teaching them all about the bible at home - but she says she doesn't want that, just for it to be like 'how she grew up'. I don't understand that if mass or the church aren't part of her faith, then why does baptism need to be part of it. I don't want to be the parent having a big party for the communion and then never darkening the door of the church until confirmation time. I would loathe myself being that hypocritical.

I'm torn between sticking to my principles, and making my wife happy.

Post edited by shesty on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,309 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Most now seem to be just an excuse for a knees up drinking session, the same people who go to mass proud as punch on Christmas day dressed in their finest like it's the cup final and don't attend a single league game session of mass all year. 'Catholic schools' in Ireland are now forced to include anyone and everyone unlike other faiths who can restrict so that's not really an excuse any more to babtise, total shambles of a crooked decision if you ask me.

Not sure what I would do in the same situation, it could be perhaps difficult for your kids growing up if their cousins, classmates and friends are all making communions and confirmations and they are not. Your kids probably won't understand the committment until they are well in to their teens at which time they are already committed catholics so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

You have a lot of anger about the church and it stems from your upbringing and how people regarded the church and anyone who was gay.

I'm atheist but I have huge respect for clergy of all religious.

In Ireland's dark ages (right into the 80's) it was considered shameful by many to have a gay son. People would look down on you, especially in rural areas.

Therefore instead of being an embarrassment, tye son was pushed towards becoming a priest and that "sorted the problem"

If the son had a perversion towards young boys, the same route was taken.

This led to a strong gay and problematic men in the church because the locals in the village would have all but stoned the person for being gay.

Today, thankfully, people are proud of being gay. It is no longer hidden and if someone wants to become a priest it is for faith reasons.

So maybe rethink and realise that it was a society issue rather than a church issue. It was society that pushed the issue into the church

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I'd say, as a Catholic, that there is a wide spectrum of committement for the faith and your wife wishes to adhere to the cultural community aspects of the faith. This can be both for personal reasons and to remain connected to a parish that attracts a more diverse and electic set of members than many institutions. Hence, perhaps your wife has a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,309 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

At the same time the church was attacking gays the same priests were raping and abusing boys and having homosexual relationships with other men.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭HazeDoll

Everybody has their own circumstances and experiences and it's very hard for strangers to comment on how you're raising your family.

However...

The reason the Catholic church still has its grubby hands on schools and hospitals in Ireland is that the statistics show a certain percentage of the population is baptised. They don't care if you're practicing, they don't care if you wipe your behind with photos of the pope every morning, as long as you're a number on their roll. (When people started leaving the church in significant numbers about 15 years ago they changed the rules so it's no longer possible to have yourself removed from the baptismal registry.)

People who baptise for the day out, and show up again in new outfits for communions, and again for confirmations, and maybe once more for a wedding are the problem.

Did you ever wonder why, in the name of all things rational, is the national broadcaster broadcasting the angelus? Why you have to walk past a crucifix to enter a Comprehensive or Vocational school? Why, until very recently, you couldn't get a drink on Good Friday? These might seem like harmless eccentricities until you consider that the mode of thought that allows these to continue is the same mode of thought that allows the wealthiest organisation in the country to duck its responsibilities to those to whom it owes payment as restitution for some pretty nasty stuff.

I have no problem with people who have a sincere faith. I have a bit of a problem with people who allow a rotten institution to keep doing what it's doing because they want a nice day out.

Have a lovely humanist naming ceremony. Much more individual, much more family focussed and it doesn't preclude the children from being baptised later in life if they decide that's what they want. Because obviously it should be their decision.

• Advertisement

Your wife is just like the majority of the people in this country. They have no interest in their religion and it's just something they do so they can have all the big days out, christening, communion, confirmation etc.

It's just hypocritical, if I was you I would stick to my guns, but I would be very set against the hypocrites.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,102 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I'm a baptised Catholic. I don't resent my parents for that, but I do wish I could undo it. I had issues with the church from an early age too like you OP.

My parents didn't know better, we do.

Let your children make their own decisions when they're old enough, don't take this decision out of their hands. I wish I'd had that luxury. It's next to impossible to officially leave the Catholic church these days so while I've been non practising/believing all my life, I'm still officially a Catholic - though not on tonight's census 😉

There are plenty of secular celebrations, naming ceremonies, treat days instead of communions and confirmations if you're worried about your kids missing out. Educate together schools make it easier.

Yes. Even gay clergy were attacking gays as they were brought up to be ashamed of it.

Irish society was in the dark ages

Shove the issue onto someone else was the preferred route rather than have the "holier than thou" fervent Catholic villagers look down on you.

The Catholic church (and protestant in many cases) were very wrong, but society enabled them and encouraged them

Society cannot absolve itself. And likewise look at what it is now for any decisions on baptism.

I did not baptise my children as I have zero belief in religion / god. I simply cannot believe in some divine being and thankfully my partner thinks the same

Doesn't stop me being friends with clergy or going to funerals/weddings/baptisms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Tough one OP.

I'm in a vaguely similar situation to you. I'm not particularly religious. However, I would go to midnight mass at Christmas and to weddings, funerals, and christenings. My wife is significantly more religious than me and would go to mass weekly. She was/is absolutely insistent that our kids be baptized, receive the sacraments, and go to catholic schools. Personally, I'm fairly ambivalent about it all, but go along with it. I guess the major difference is that religion isn't the deal breaker for me that it is for you.

Personally, I feel like a happy, harmonious marriage trumps everything else. I'm sure you love your wife and see yourself in this for the long haul. I don't see religion as the cross on which you should nail your relationship, if you'll pardon the pun. I totally get that you are uncomfortable compromising your principles, but are you willing to risk your home life to win this battle?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

My son had all the same sentiments as those expressed here and I did not have answers… But his Godfather, a Muslim, had one simple question - why would you allow the actions of these bad people to define your relationship with your God? And I think it’s a good place to start figuring out what you want yourself.

Your wife is the typical European Catholic, most people only go to church on special occasions and the rest of the time religion is a personal thing. I’d say she is the typical Catholic these days.

Your believe system is a fundamental part of what defines you. It’s too late now, but most couples I know settled the matter before the kids arrived. I don’t think you can brush it under the carpet as it will arise again and again in the coming years, so you do need to resolve it somehow.

• Advertisement

You CAN undo it. Simply tick the 'no religion' box on the census form.

I was baptised, communioned and confirmed. I don't see myself as Catholic in any way shape or form.

In early centuries baptism did not take place until adulthood.

Only the church rules state that once baptised you are always in the church. But if you are not part of the church the rules simply don't apply.

Therefore if you identify as no religion you should have no hangups about your parents baptising you when you were a baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭HazeDoll

The OP has said they are an atheist. They have no relationship with anybody's god.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,401 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Well you've got that completely backwards

Homophobia is massively correlated with Conservative religious attitudes

And Irish society has only begun to open up as fewer and fewer people are left under the psychological and emotional grip of the church

• Registered Users Posts: 10,102 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I've ticked that for years. Doesn't change the fact that the Catholic church records list me, and the OP, as members and there's f3ck all we can do about that.

The OP and their wife have to decide if they're happy to similarly trap their children.

If religion was particularly important to your wife OP I might give different advise, but as it is, she is just being hypocritical. There is no need to baptise your children when your wife won't even bring them to mass!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Your wife wants a party and photos to put on Instagram. You mentioned she said she won't bring the kids to weekly mass, study the bible etc. Stand your ground, why should her desire for a fancy day out trump your actual beliefs (and what ate also her beliefs but she just won't admit it).

Too many people like your wife are keeping the church alive in this country. And the church are as bad, bunch of hypocrites accepting children for baptism who are born to unmarried parents.

The idea of a humanist naming ceremony is a good one OP. Or just do a day out/barbecue/party with your families to celebrate the child themself.

Catholic weddings are already below 50% of all weddings each year now , as per the CSO, and realistically would be a fraction of that again if people weren't worried about what great aunt Susan might think. Same for baptisms. Don't worry about the grandparents, aunties etc, if they truly love the child they'll get over it.

Is your wife the type to believe in old superstitions?

I ask as there used to be an old superstition that if a baby died unbaptised their soul would be stuck in limbo. I remember my grandmother talking about it, with genuine fear.

Maybe your wife is a little bit inclined to let stuff like this worry her, but doesn't want to admit it to you, given your stance.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Mod Note

OP

I'm going to move your thread over to the Parenting forum, where might probably be able to have a wider discussion on the matter.

Local Charter applies

Thanks

HS

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

So? If you don't believe their rules their rules don't apply to you. Anyway, the baptismal record is merely a historical statement that you were baptised and does not state you're a Catholic. The worst thing you can do about an unwanted baptismal record is believe it actually means anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭3DataModem

You are letting the church and baptism dictate your choices and feelings, which is exactly the opposite of what you say you want.

Just do it to keep your wife happy. If she's a casual catholic, there's no downside. Christenings, Communions and Confirmations are fun expressions of your family, and try to see it like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Irish_wolf

Have you considered a naming ceremony style event?

It's possible as others have mentioned that she just wants a day of celebration for the child. There's nothing wrong with that, even if it is a bit selfish. My brother and his partner didn't bother with a baptism even though she grew up in a strongly religious environment. Instead they had a small party with family and friends, got a few nice pictures with all the generations and a page in the baby book. Was actually lovely.

Maybe instead of dismissing the idea outright find out why she wants the baptism. If it's because 'tradition' or something she feels the child would be missing out on then a naming ceremony might just fit the bill.

This hypocritical view of religion and sacraments is widespread across the country, I actually hate it.

There are plenty of fun things to do that don't involve religion

If you are that flexible on your beliefs, are they worth holding at all???

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

atheism is a belief system in the way 'not playing tennis' is a sport.

The amusing thing I find about Irish atheists, unlike those I know from else where, is that they keep harping on about their hatred of the Catholic church rather than their core believes - the non existence of God or Gods.... if fact few ever get around to it...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Well non atheists are unlikely to speak of how they dislike god, are they now?

Post edited by km991148 on

• "I'm torn between sticking to my principles, and making my wife happy."

In principle, there's no contest there. You don't have to live with the church.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I agree.

However the OP has to live with his choice, and his wife.

I don't think that participating in those ceremonies as a parent is a problem, as long as you contextualise the religious aspects for the children affected. The church are happy for non-adherents to participate.

My casual atheism allows me to pick and choose what things to do. It also happens to keep the most people I care about happy (i.e. my wife and kids), be simple to execute, and engages the kids more in their community. To me, a no-brainer. Are they indoctrinated? No. Do I think it's more damaging to include them rather than exclude them? No.

But I genuinely feel for the OP; there's no correct answer here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭downtheroad

There is a downside in presenting a falsehood in Catholic numbers which impacts on societal issues including schools.

These casual catholics are insulting the church with their couldn't care less attitude apart from 3 days in a lifetime, and the church are worse for willingly accepting these in with open arms.

My mother in law is very religious, attends a weekly mass etc. I put the foot down and refused a baptism for our child on the basis that neither my wife or I ever attend mass, aren't practicing catholics and have no faith. The brother in law was a good catholic son, baptised the kids and none of them have seen inside a church since. Yet somehow I am the bad guy for having a bit of respect and not taking part in something I don't believe in, as opposed to the person who disrespects the organisation by saying they will lead a catholic life, raise the kids catholics, etc and then completely ignore the obligations (obligations probably not the correct term here).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement