Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working 12hr shifts age 57 - feeling exhausted - anyone else experience this?

Options
  • 03-04-2022 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

Hi! I'm 57 and my job involves shift work. I am working 12 hour shifts. Usually it's two days together, and then every second weekend it's three 12 hour days together. The two 12 hour days together are not too bad, but the 3 x 12 hour days leave me feeling I've been run over by a train. It seems only in the last 2 years that this has become particularly noticeable. Just wondered if anyone else is working shifts in their 50s and experiencing the same. I also have arthritis, so after 3 long days, I am in some pain. I don't think I can do another 9 years of this until 66. Would welcome others experiences or ideas re same.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Ginger83

I know how you feel. Although I'm younger I've worked shifts for years until moving to a day job. I gave it up altogether due to illness.

Life's too short so don't burn yourself out.

A few years ago, I got talking to a nurse about work. She was late 50’s and working 3X13 hour shifts in a row. She said that by the third morning she was exhausted. She couldn’t afford to retire just yet. I remember thinking that I hope that I never come under her care! Why nurses work these hours is beyond me.

So, to answer your question, others find the long shifts as tough as you. It’s for you to decide if it’s worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Hannaho

Hi! Ginger83 and Maryanne, thanks for your comments. I can't retire just yet either. I would like to reduce my hours next year, but I am not sure management will allow this. I can't afford to do it this year. It's not that nurses of my age want to work these hours, but there are few opportunities to work shorter shifts, and it's also quite difficult to reduce hours. It's good to know though that there are other people in their 50s who find these shifts difficult. I didn't find them difficult until about two years ago, and thought it was just me. I am reluctant to say anything to management in work, as I have had one colleague make a lot of ageist comments to me, e.g. I much prefer to work with younger people etc. so I don't want to provoke that reaction if I approach management.

I feel for you. Hopefully you find a solution. Life’s too short. Enjoy it while you can. I’m retired just over a year and for whatever reason, find myself suffering from ache’s and pains that never bothered me before! I don’t know if it’s the change of routine, less activity or what, I don’t know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Any health service, sadly, will be desperately trying to INCREASE nurses hours, certainly not decrease them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,975 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Longer nursing shifts provide better continuity of care for patients.

(Allegedly: if you get a good nurse it's good but if you get a bad one you're stuck with them for 1/2 a day)

But as the staff age, it gets harder on them. Ideally promotion to less hands on roles deals with this, but some people choose not to go that way and can run into issues.

OP, if you're female, consult your GP re possible treatment for menopause.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Because it's far more advantageous for them to work these shifts, less childcare costs and automatically entitled to shift allowances. Since healthcare in other countries seem to manage in shorter shifts, be in no doubt, this is the nurses and their unions creaming off the fat.

Really?

So why have the Government accepted a proposal to reduce nurses work week to a ridiculous 35 hour week?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Because it's returning it to what it was after it was increased unilaterally during the recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,498 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The sheer lack of empathy in the post, you are one other poster are obsessed with nurses it's very weird unless it's trolling, and if it's trolling its borderline creepy to obsess over what nurse are paid or what hours they work. To the op 12 and 13-hour shifts are hard going as you head into your 60s reducing your horse is the only way to get, at times management are happier if its a job share.

Post edited by mariaalice on

• Advertisement

So you accept there is a decrease. But you said an INCREASE in hours. Where is this increase myth you are spreading coming from?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Beatty69

OP, can you apply for a more administration type role? Like CNM or DON that would reduce your hours and the physical toll.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Bruno Smith

OP I know it's not easy but try and get something else. Late 50's is a funny age, all of a sudden your not young and employers tend to look at you differently as well. If you can afford it, look to reduce your hours, or look for something less physical. Trust me as one who has been through the mill recently, it will not be getting any easier, change now.

Advertisement