Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Solar PV battery options

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Nice setup, is the shed shaded in winter? Back of my house is N facing and shades the shed in winter 😥

I am also thinking about N panels when they make sense financially, can get 11 on the house and 3 on the kitchen extension

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

No, that was me alright. It would be a waste financially for most people. Unless your electricity consumption is very high and you load shift almost all year around.

Personally I do have a high consumption so it will easily pay back for me in about 5-6 years with load shifting alone. Probably less if the delta between day and night rate will grow bigger. And I upgrade often and since I started my PV journey, I have pretty much always sold my old gear for more than I bought it myself, so in other words: zero pay back time.

And it's not all about financials. Using night rate is significantly cleaner greener (and ever more so) and a LiFePo4 battery lasts decades, so very durable

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭championc

My house roof is only 22°, so it could get sunshine for 8 months of the year (albeit at a low angle)

Zero shading, south facing but with only a tiny angle, so producing from sunrise to sunset 😎

Yeah unfortunately panels are about €10-15 more expensive than they were a year or two ago because of the exploded cost of getting a shipping container from China over here. But should they ever drop to around the €50 mark I will get plastering that virgin roof with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Mr Q

How are people actually testing the Ah of the batteries once they arrive? It might have been mentioned already but I don't recall seeing it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Sounds like we need a new Photos of your PV setup thread...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Would probably devolve into "that's not up to spec/ok with the regs" unfortunately.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Don't worry about that. We can police comments so that it is just pictures and no gripes.

@unkel fancy throwing up a few photos of your setup in a new thread?

Someone else (@championc?) had motorized panels on the north facing side of their shed too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

I'd seen that before. Touch of class that.

I've a flat roof on the shed, enough for about 5x panels. it's an idea in it's infancy with me at the moment, but if i do put panels there, the two furthest away from the sun I was thinking of having them adjustable like you have so that in winter they would have a higher incidence. Course you can only really do this on the furthest 2 from the sun as the others would shade the ones behind with the sun so low.

What/how did you motorize it?

• Advertisement

Those are AliExpress actuators and a controller for the remote - 12v driven

• Registered Users Posts: 11 shanemc30

has anyone seen this supplier. Ships from Germany. Anyone have an opinion on these

Yeah, don't do it. It's bogus. You will not get your batteries if you order there. You will eventually get your money back. Guess how I know. Been there many times with AliExpress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Mr Q

Had the same issue but used a seller with a lot of good reviews, not like that link with no reviews. Just turned out that they were all fake which in hindsight I should have read more of them properly.

Aliexpress are good to be fair with refunds and I did get my money back for the batteries eventually but takes a while.

A while is a bit of an understatement 😂

I think the official delivery window is 75 days. After that there is a 15 day dispute process. And if you win that, there is a 15 day process for refunds (although I have found the last one to usually only take a few working days)

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭harderthanf

Does that Sofar inverter accept 24v or just >=48v? Was thinking of an 8s2p setup for a 10kwhr battery but it's not obvious.

Also, when I looked before the Oye store mentioned shipping from Poland, not it just says from China. Will this still pass through Poland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭alan kelly

Hey Folks,

Just ordered an install of 6kw of Panels, 6kw inverter and 5kw Pure Drive Battery.

I have a Heat Pump in the house and am ready to pick up an EV so electricity usage will be high this winter.

Wondering should i increase the battery to 10kw and use more from the night rate or maybe add a few more 370watt panels ?

They break out into Europe in Poland

All inverters only support 48v

The above cells need the Seplos BMS

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,311 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

everyone is doing 16S with theses cells?

they are 3.2v nominal which is 51.2V, which is fine for the inverters.

• Advertisement

Yeah. I had a bit of a brain fart last night. I did try to remove my question but you were too fast!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

Hi Alan.

im in the same boat, I will start with circa 10kW batt.

then do the research to expand once I have 3 months of data.

would be great if there was a decent online course in this!

It's not difficult. It's more time consuming

Here's a general schematic

For then actual wiring of the BMS and if you go for one or two sets paralleled, this shows the wiring and busbars in detail

Then you need isolation devices of some kind between the inverter and the BMS

Or

Or both

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭THE ALM

I think for batteries 10-15kWh is probably a good fit as, unless a heavy user, this would get most people through the evening/night until they can be charged the next morning especially at this time of year onwards. Those three/four months over winter would need a bit of night charging.

I'll be looking to increase ours over the coming weeks and have been looking at all options including bringing in direct, have been in discussions with a few manufacturers.

For those unsure of the diy route I can provide prices for the items I have looked at if you want to send me a PM, if that is allowed. Have priced rack mount and powerwall types so it might help to sway you one way or the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭alan kelly

Im hearing contradicting reports,, Some say get the panels as big as possible first and others talking about the Battery size.. good craic

Panels is the most important. Get as many as you can fit. Once they're up on your roof, they will be good for many decades.

Yeah, I'd weigh in behind unkel.

Basically, panels are the engine of the whole thing. Nobody has ever come onto the forums and said

"I bought too many panels".

Many however, have said "I wish I bought more" (including myself). You can't fill those large batteries unless you have enough generation capacity. You might say, "Ohh but I'll fill them from night rate and use during the day", and while that in general is a good strategy, the real value in a battery is being able to store the "free" leccie that you get from the panels as opposed to the 1/2 price night rate.

For sure, there are always edge cases, but really if you are going 2x (or more) your panel size in battery storage, you'd want to have done the math. it's not "wrong" per say, just that it wouldn't be an average household consumption.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

It’s all fair comment, but the thing to consider is the use case. For instance my brother in law is down the south west. Huge dormer bungalow and has 24 panels on the roof. He could stick another 50 up if he wanted. He has a 5kw battery that just about scrapes he though the day and he’s keen for another. No heat pump or ev and they both work away from home 4 days a week. And he’s been producing and feeding in a huge (enviable) amount over the past few weeks.

now I’m in a “decent size” Dublin house (small country house!). I can most likely just about squeeze 16 panels max, a shade under 6kW. Roof size and layout is the issue on going bigger. I have a heat pump and EV. Myself and wife work at home several days a week so always someone here. Now I know I’ll be fine in summer as the heat pump is effectively off from may to October and the house and hot water will run off PV. But come winter when the panels are producing squat and the heat pump is chugging, that’s when the battery will earn its keep and I will be taking electricity in at 70% discount over night. My house is a fully electric house, if you are running gas or oil your electricity bill is way down by comparison. For me, in my use case I could benefit hugely from just the battery on its own!! The ROI for the batteries is at least twice as fast as the panels

I contend the key for every install is putting in the graft to figure out what is right for you and your use case. And resources like this thread are great to help with that as long as you are open.

Absolutely hick. Absolutely.

Again, what I was saying was in relation to an average household. That in Ireland is someone who consumes about 4000-4500 units a year. Previously to your mail you hadn't really specified how much exactly you were using so my advice was more towards that average household. It's highly likely that you consume way more than that. I'm in about 11,000-12,000 myself so I know I'm not average.

Your EV usage should be discounted as you wouldn't charge the house batteries to then charge the car batteries. I mean "technically" you could, but it'd be dumb as you lose 10-15% charging one to lose 10-15% charging the other. So you'd just charge the EV directly from the grid at night time anyway.

I would however encourage you to do the math yourself. It might not be as advantageous as you think. When I was doing this myself, I even went as far as writing a little application for it. Plugging in (say) €7000 for a 15Kwhr battery with my own SSE rates.

14 years for battery payback - and that's if you fully charge and deplete your battery every single day, no holidays to Butlins :-) Heat pump ON in the middle of summer etc.

I don't want you to read this that you shouldn't or it's a dumb idea in getting a large battery. I'm actually quite pro-battery in fact. No, my warnings here are just so that you walk in with your eyes wide open. Lots of good reasons to get a large battery. Financial is only one of them, but as you can see, it's not as easy as you think.

(If you could go DIY on the battery, I wouldn't even bother with the financials and "just do it")

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

You are 100% correct. Everyone has to figure out what their use case is.

Basing a decision to buy hardware that will last 40 years on your use case of today is short sighted. As we move away from fossil fuels, we will all use a lot more electricity going forward. The install of a few extra panels costs peanuts if you are having PV installed (either by an installer or DIY). No matter what your use case, it makes sense to maximise the number of panels on your roof for the overwhelming majority of households. Remember a significantly big install can also handle a lot of your hot water needs and there will be a feed in tariff at some stage that will easily pay off for the extra panels on its own, over the lifespan of the panels. Perhaps it will get so warm that we will need air conditioning in houses in summer. PV is a perfect fit for that

It is also unavoidable that gas / oil will become increasingly expensive as we have to phase fossil fuels out over the next few decades. Even now heating your water with immersion at night rate is already pretty much on a par cost wise with using gas / oil in an efficient boiler. And doing it with clean wind energy at night (or indeed from your solar PV panels during the day) is far more environmentally friendly

Think forward, folks!

Sorry if this has been asked, I see in the thread some people have their batteries and AC inverter in a garage or some sort of out-house or cabinet. Is anyone using the EPS port in this configuration?

I really need a solution to power the house when the grid drops (it is so common where I am). I am looking at the Sofar and a changeover switch to allow power from the EPS back to the array (to start generation) while switching off the main grid connection.

I'd like to move this to my garage but I think I will need an extra run back to the consumer unit and main invertered, located in the house. That is, if it is even possible at such distance.

Yes I do this, we installed an extra run of cables back from the outbuilding to the house for the EPS supply. What's the distance? You're probably fine.

Thanks!

It's about 30 meters. I already have a some 2.5mmsq going out, connected to the consumer unit in the house. Might be a little light on size for 3-3.5kw at that distance. So, I would likely need to up the existing cable to 4mmsq and then another another 4mmsq for the EPS connection back to the critical load side.

I would definitely go bigger, at least 6mm2, maybe even 10mm2, you never know down the line.

• Advertisement

30 meters is no problem, I'm pretty much double that. I have 16mm2 for my PV supply (11kWp) and 10mm2 for the EPS (5kWp). Future proof, but even for the PV supply I notice a voltage difference of 5V between the inverter and the house due to resistance, which caused me problems when exporting >3kW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭irishchris

Yes mine is exactly 30m from inverter to consumer unit in house. No problems whatsoever but went with 6mm SWA. If I was doing it again I would go 10/12mm cable as expanded and am getting close to it's limits soon

Cheers lads. Plenty to think of!

Yeah and just to chip in my main solar inverter is almost 100m away from the house, It is run on 16mm2 cable though.

Out of curiosity I'd love to know the voltage your inverter measures versus what you measure in your house when it's exporting full whack.

• Advertisement

Hmm, Looking back on saturday, exporting about 4.5kw, its about 3-4V above what my emontx is measuring and my sofar me3000 is measuring.

Its close to the cutout but not quite there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Baoithin66

Is installing panels on your garage depending on having a duct into the house to connect not the main fuse board?

Me after 20kwh delivery today

And no it didn't come like this, that's a photo of the aftermath 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭John mac

need an unboxing video .. :)

Not cells, dyness rack mount 5.12s

Could have been about 80 cells if I went DIY.

How much were they and any link to where you ordered them from? Reason you didn't go CALBS is you not comfortable to do the DIY build (with BMS)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭randombar

Hi All,

So batteries are en route. Exciting stuff.

Is there any guide someone can point me to in relation to my configuration.

I've come across bits and pieces here and there but I was wondering if anyone had a start to finish guide?

Nice one!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 shanemc30

How much were these batterie system. Did delivery take long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Can anyone see any issues with stacking the batteries on the flat in rows of 4 as the pic ?

I could pull them out from the wall a bit to allow airflow

• Advertisement
Advertisement