Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WrestleMania 38 *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭ThePott

Ooof Vince selling the stunner though.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Theory's stunner was great but Vinces one was a disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭ECookie13

Funniest stunner in history on Vince there. Great segment altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,629 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

LOL at Pat drinking the beer after the stunner

• Advertisement

Ah as a fun cooldown segment before the main event it was great! I mean, it was a match between a wrestler and a commentator, with a 76 year old thrown into the mix - it was about as good as it could ever be, plenty of fun with lots of great little moments. There's not much point complaining about a septuagenarian not nailing something...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

There'll never be another Austin

• Registered Users Posts: 23,164 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Even in his pomp Vince never knew how to take the stunner.

Incoming generic Roman screwjob win after interference; Rock comes out then to end the show.

Match was fine, totally indistinguishable from all their other matches.

Finish just came out of nowhere, not sure why they made a big deal of him saying his shoulder was out for it not to matter at all.

Guessing with this much time left, the Rock is gonna come out.

EDIT - Or not.

• Advertisement

Strange, boring end there. Very sudden, and wasn't a clean finish nor a screwjob dirty finish either, just in the middle and forgettable.

Very drab finish to an otherwise great mania otherwise. Guess Rock wasn't available to add a bit of excitement to the end there.

Very flat finish for what was other wise a great Mania.

Night 1 was better but Night 2 was still really good. The Knoxville match was a lot of fun, McAfee match was excellent and the Vince stuff was entertaining if a totaly mess. Edge/AJ and the Main event left it down though.

That was weird, and pretty underwhelming... just another generic cheating win, which is one thing, but a kinda flat ending even beyond that. Felt like it was one move short of feeling 'right'. Hard to buy that one spear stops a flying Brock so easily for the pin and leaves him there in bits, when he'd soaked up previous ones no bother.

Perhaps not a great sign that the two highlights were novelty matches - Knoxville and McAfee matches by a mile the most interesting things about Night 2 for me anyway. Still an enjoyable enough few hours all in all though.

Guess another year of Reigns winning by distractions/interference. Super interesting and exciting. Ah well, will tune back in around royal rumble 2023 LOL

And one fewer belt for everyone else to fight over now :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Underwhelming main event, Reigns' matches are generally good but seeing him win every single time gets a bit repetitive, particularly when a lot of them are via Uso/Heyman interference

Really good Mania though

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

^^ Muppet aside, thread has been good fun. I think Night 2 suffers big time because night 1 was so stacked.

I think if they swapped Lashley and Omos and the Knoxville/Zayn match to Saturday and put one of the women's title matches and Seth/Cody to Sunday and you might have a better balance. As it was you had way too many class things happen Saturday and very little Sunday, celeb/McAfee involvement aside.

I'm fine with Reigns winning because I can't imagine Brock staying full time going forward like he has been since the Rumble pretty much. I don't think Reigns will be holding onto the WWE Title for too long either tbh. Perhaps even dropping it tomorrow night but maybe that's wishful thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭orecir

A fantastic Wrestlemania and home run for the wwe.

The right people won and some emotional and memorable Wrestlemania moments created.

Good Times for wwe at the moment. Momentum and excitement defiantly back onside even if the smarks try to deny this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

To me WrestleMania is all of about creating memorable moments rather than 5* star matches.

That what we got this with the likes Logan Paul, Pat McAfee, Cody Rhodes, Knoxville and obviously with Steve Austin this year.

It amazing how a lot of celebrities are more over than a lot of main roster guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭nazmoalex

First couple of matches were just throw aways for me, I have seen plenty Alphas and Rkobros over the last few weeks. Was alright I suppose, Gable vs Gable spot was a bit weird, dude looks like he ate those cheese burgers Knoxville was missing. He's fairly short too, not much taller than the OG Gable that was being mocked for being short a while back. Just me being critical of a guy they're hyping up the yazoo, should wait to see really, but that's my first impression of him.

Lashley wins, fair enough, he's been entertaining through out the year, nice to see him get the match and the win.

Enjoyed the show from Sami Zayn's match onwards. Was like a classic hardcore title match, plenty of silly spots, but it got the crowd going. Popped for the weeman slam.

The women's tag match was brutal, Natty kept hot dogging the hard cam, wrecked my head. The commentary burying Nikki ASH before the match probably annoyed me just as much. Baszler for me looked the most convincing. Sasha's hair extensions were a bit long, kept getting in her way. Finisher was pretty sweet.

Edge and AJ.. meh, wasn't invested at all and was looking forward to this one, crowd were dead for most of it and the biggest take away from the match was how did AJ do a Goldberg and start to bleed before the match. If they're gonna continue with the story, Finn Balor and Nakamura wouldn't be a bad idea to go against this new alliance. No point in AJ going back with Omos for help, and Balor could switch to Brood 2.0 or whatever it's gonna be.

New Day and Sheamo's goons was probably more deserving of a couple of minutes, but not much more, starting to think Butch is a rib, touch of the Bushwhackers' Butch about him.(Dopey) New day always getting robbed at Mania, would like to see them split finally with Big E out (should stay away if his neck is banjo'd). Maybe have the two lads feud this time next year, let Big E ref it

All the celebs were great, all weekend. McAfee is over, (cheerleaders and tune helped too) Theory's heat and his cheers were easily some of the best reactions of the night during his match, before any of the shenanigans. Thought Vince vs McAfee could have moved through the gears a little faster.

Have to agree with the bollocks, it was 100% botchamania with Vince and the stunner, Vince even sold the wrong entrance music lol! I think the others in the thread trolled him if anything, talking crap about bedtime and his mother.. bit sad. Think he's right to stand up for himself, even if I don't agree with his tone or whatever. I enjoyed the moment still, out of all the stunners over the weekend, McAfee's sell was my favorite. I'm a McAfee mark now for sure.

Anyway main event was a complete stinker of a finish, wasn't the worst match ever, but looked like it was just getting going when they ended it. Didn't expect much from it, so not disappointed or anything.

Thought Michael Cole had a good weekend, he was more relaxed, he definitely added to the McAfee match, as did Saxton.

Corey Graves did the opposite for me, was practically doing play-by-play and colour on the 3 man announce team, used to like him when he started, he's painful now. Could be wrong but I think the majority of matches over the weekend that I didn't enjoy as much had him commentating.

Last night was always going to be difficult to top, overall a pretty decent weekend of wrestling for sure. God I wish they planned Mania season for just before the clocks went forward over there, that extra hour would have helped!

Oh shout out to Marston, 4/1 bit gave me a good laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,243 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Sami was great, deserves a big push imho

WM was all about SCSA, great to see him back

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

(Mod Hat On: Going to delete some of the awful trolling posts, so don't bother engaging further please...)

Mod hat off, I actually enjoyed Mania overall as a lapsed fan.

Roman/Brock was something that chased me off the product a while back, and surprise surprise, it's still going. But neither can work multiple types of matches, and we're waaaaay past the point of diminishing returns with the two. It's the same 10 minute finisher spam fest everytime. Didn't endear me to the two years ago, still doesn't now.

But I loved Knoxville vs Sami, the McAfee stuff was very fun. and the rest of the card was extremely solid. I did think Night 1 was far stronger overall, but it was still a very fun Mania overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,043 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Lucky they got the mouse trap working since it was the ending to a very fun match. Sami was a good choice for the match since he's proven to be able to have comedic matches.

Apart from that it could've done with a gimmick match in the weekend somewhere, like a ladder match for one of the midcard titles.

Noticed a lack of big entrances outside of Cody, Pat and Edge. Okay Becky had the video and car but then Sasha also had a car. And surprised Sasha didn't go for special gear, like how she did at the Rumble. Though did anyone really have anything that looked like Mania gear?

But yeah, I agree that while Night 2 was enjoyable enough, Night 1 was better.

I was wondering what would've happened if the main event was a DQ. Would keep the 2 titles separate?

I understand what they were going for with McAfee and Vince, but just seemed after doing what he did in his match with theory, being beaten so easily by a 76 year old seemed stupid. And think what happened with the stunner was just the kick caused him to stumble so he was out of position while Austin was trying to do the stunner. But yeah Vince was never great at taking it. Theory's sell was nicely over the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭TheLocalMan95

Great Mania, were we watching the same show? Night 1 was good. Night 2 was utterly shite. I went to bed, because I couldn't be arsed. Roman won, woohoo, who couldn't see that coming. Edge has a gimp henchman now, oh how bad ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,559 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Just reading that McAfee is making $30m a year in sponsership alone from his podcast after he signed a $120m deal with FanDuel

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

McAfee doesn’t NEED to be doing wrestling. He’s doing it purely cause he’s having fun. Which is why I can imagine he absolutely loved last night, especially since there’s a good chance he will have been McMahon’s last ever match too.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,559 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Night 2 was more what I was expecting from the WWE hugely disappointing.

The triple threat tag team match just seemed to be there to show off Gable Steveson at the end.

Lashely vs Omos was grand for what it was Lashely really deserves so much better.

Sami vs. Jackass was class fun all the way.

Womens tag team was just terrible

Edge vs AJ was so disapointing it really could have been the match of the year contender with those two however the just didn't click.

The New Day vs. Sheamus and his younglings was atrocious 

Mc Afee vs Theory was fun and when Vince came down at the start I was really hoping we would get one last Vince "What a Maneuver" on commentary as well as his last in ring.

Brock vs. Roman as just boring the two faces of WWE for the last how many ever years just don't work yet Vince feels the need to put it on year in year out.

On a note the non wrestlers Logan Paul, Johnny Knoxville, Wee Man & Pat Mc Afee did a better job in the ring than most of the actual wrestling talent.

Post edited by Agent Coulson on

• Registered Users Posts: 23,164 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Bad Bunny, Logan Paul, McAfee, Knoxville. They've been on a good run with celebrities.

Brock showing the most natural charisma and actully looking like he is really enjoying this run and they have him lose this is the one time you want him on top as a babyface who is really enjoyable and likeable and they have him lose

• Advertisement

Looking at a lot of the wwe wrestlers this weekend i will take a wild guess the wellness program has been on hold for a while now

Advertisement