Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,307 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

its critical that our governments make the right decisions now, in order to try prevent a recession, or to limit the damage of such, they need to ramp up borrowing, and get building, or our economy will fall to pieces....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Does anyone know what it would cost to build a 250sq m two storey house near Blessington in Wicklow from scratch. We got a quote that was higher than expected. My expectations were around €350...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭wassie

Better off asking in this thread: Home & GardenConstruction & PlanningPrices & Costs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭The Student

We can't afford to keep borrowing. We still have to pay for debts of 2008 financial crash, covid and the impact of the war in the Ukraine. I always find comments like these bizarre.

We are a small open economy who need to import materials for building. We can't control the prices of these raw materials. Who exactly do you expect to pay for all of these costs and borrowings?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Not necessarily. The last recession was deflationary in nature as it was caused by a lack of available credit. What’s more likely this time around is a stagflation, where there is little to no growth and high inflation. Then again, if there is a massive drop in demand, it could cause a correction in prices, but I don’t know how likely that would be.

Either way, we’re in trouble. In my opinion, and in an ideal world, this would be the wakeup call that the West badly needs. This infinite growth, welfare state nightmare that has been created is only going to crumble in the years to come as it becomes more and more unsustainable (financially, environmentally and even ethically). The state needs to be drastically reduced in size and replaced with something lean.  If this is not done, we will be damning future generations to more and more debt.  This may not have bother the older generations, but I would rather take the pain now and do what’s best for children and those yet to be born.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,307 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

oh ffs, this crap again! public debt is not dangerous, particularly for a developed economy such as ours, and the fact we have the backing of the ecb to do so, the only way to try prevent a downturn, or reduce its effects, is to ramp up public borrowing, as the private sector is simply unwilling or able to do so. this debt can be used to stimulate the economy, especially the private sector, as a significant amount of public works and needs are carried out by the private sector.....

its clearly obvious now, running limited deficits is in fact dangerous, as we become over reliant on the credit supply in order to run our economies, a significant proportion of private debt/credit is now used to just inflate asset prices, such as, stocks, shares, bonds, 'real estate'!!!! therefore increasing wealth inequalities.....

by not increasing the public money supply, i.e. the deficit, you significantly increase the likelihood of a recession, and all that entails.....

so, craic on with the borrowing, keep the economy going, or else.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

i got rough quotes of 200 p/sqft from an architect in cork a few weeks ago who'd just priced up some upcoming one off houses. prices up since then though. id imagine great dublin region is a lot higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I hope they check rents and house prices before they get here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

agree on infinite growth being unsustainable. not sure how much you could shrink welfare state without dropping more into poverty. how we deal with that ontop of a pension timebomb is anyones guess. im in my late 20s and cant see any world where i wont be working until im 75-80. there is a lot of **** going to hit the fan in coming years especially when its seemingly government policy (worldwide too) to keep housing prices elevated. older people see their wealth go up (housing) and the younger ones suffer with high rents/not getting on the ladder until later in life after spending thousands more on rent than they would have on mortgages. The cost of materials skyrocketing is only a bad thing that i think will end up having a big effect on projects from summer time on, i can see a huge amount of apartment builds being shelved. know of a housing development near me and they said at the start of the year they were only finishing the first 12 houses in a phase and packing up until prices calm down.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Pomodoro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

A wise old man (my Dad) once said to me - "Dont worry about spending 10k or 20k more than you think a house is worth. Because it will be worth that much extra soon enough and then you are already sitting in it. Bid higher than anyone else thinks it is worth and it will be worth that soon enough anyway"

I argued with him, but the fcuker is always right.

He also said to me the other night

"There have been plenty of recessions and there will be more. Generally they only last a few years. The last being the longest one by a long way. So spend your time between recessions getting ready for the next one."

Then on house prices he said "Last time so many people had 2 or more houses, or were planning to buy second houses when it went kaput. They then had to offload lots of those houses, spo there was plenty of supply. This time its different. You only have the idiots holding 2nd homes now. Nobody is waiting for second homes. And most who already had them have sold them or will very soon. Sure you can build more now, but you better build some for the people building them, while they are building them too"

Just some nuggets i was musing about on my way into work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭The Student

Okay I will ask the question again. Who exactly is going to pay for all the borrowings? Borrowing whether its private or publicly funded still has to be paid back. Its borrowing! its not grants its still has to be paid back.

Who exactly do you think has to pay back public debt? The tax payer

A debt to one is an asset to another the liability does not just disappear. We borrowed to stave off the effects on the economy during Covid. We still don't know how the removal of these supports will impact the economy. We don't have an unlimited supply of funds to stimulate the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭DataDude

Our independent bank valuation put rebuild cost on 350sqm house in Wicklow at just a shade under €850k. Even if you pro rata down, which is optimistic as larger houses should be cheaper per SQM, you’re looking at €600k.

I ran it past two builders in the family as it seemed excessive. Both said it was optimistic in reality and they’d expect closer to €1m. Madness.

Well considering that many of the investment funds that operate here are pension funds, we can deduce precisely how the older generations intend to keep themselves in pensions. The plan seems to be that those of us not in this group will be paying rent in perpetuity to keep this system in place.  This simply is not going to work. Ethically, it is utterly reprehensible, but as the older generations gradually transition out of holding the reins of power and younger people take their place, the appetite to continue will erode. 

As for the shrinking of the welfare state, I agree with you. If it were to be rolled back, many people would be condemned to poverty.  However, the welfare state is already failing. There is not enough social housing to go around, and the only way to suppose the current levels is to cripple working people with taxes whilst simultaneously driving up the cost of housing and thus locking them out of the market. In that situation, younger people will put off starting families or, as in my own case, they just won’t bother. Thus, one can add demographic decline to the mix, hence the state’s predilection for immigration. It has nothing to do with “diversity”…

I honestly have no idea how to fix this mess. This is off topic, but if I could be indulged for a moment, I will say that I’m starting to come to the conclusion that the West has simply had its time as the dominant civilisation. Historically, civilisations eventually begin to decay as they run out of “steam” and newer groups rise to take their place.  Rome didn’t fall because the barbarians invaded a healthy empire; it declined over time as it began to rot from the inside as the circumstances that made it changed and the people lost their way.

Anyways, that’s all off topic, so I’ll leave it at that. Alea iacta est…

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

That surprises me a little as most pension funds would have very little property exposure at least those available here. This would make sense as most prospective pensioners would have heavy exposure to property in the ownership of there own home.

I suspect the pension fund you are referring to are foreign

Borrowing for infrastructure that delivers a return or offsets outgoings makes sense, but probably should have started 6 years ago and maybe that train has left the station.

Our governance specifically in relation to housing and energy has again left us in the worst possible position going into a crisis

Strap yourselves in, its going to be bumpy ride

Yes, the funds here are foreign pension funds, but it makes little difference as what Ireland is experiencing is happening across Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

I would qualify this and state that any debt owed to the ECB will not be paid back. In the same way that money can be created out of nothing by the ECB, so too can it turn debt to nothing. And it will have to do this or sink the whole Eurozone project.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Pomodoro

A couple of things stand out here:

• Don't assume the value of your 60k will stay constant. They value of money is currently falling rapidly, and the money printing is continuing
    • You will find people exactly like you on this forum waiting 1,2 and 3 years because "the crash is coming" for over a decade now. Make your decisions based on current conditions, in a way that can give you some certainty (i.e. a long term. fixed rate mortgage with a repayment you can afford). because predicting anything over a 2 year horizon right now is simply not possible.

Latest financial analysis from Paul Sommerville, well worth a listen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

I would strongly agree with your dad.

Everyone expects a recession to be like ‘08 but that was different and the main reason that it was such a deep recession was that the country ended up bankrupt and IMF and Germany dictated policies. Add on top a massive oversupply and loads of individual landlords that were forced to sell because they were unable to make mortgage repayments.

Any individual landlords today don’t have the same risk as LTV is substantially lower.

There have been loads of recessions in the past and only one saw a drop in property values.

Just got a very strange call from a building society that I had mortgage approval with back in 2007, just wondering if I am happy with my current mortgage and would I think about swapping to them!

I had approval 15 years ago! Why are they so desperate for customers?

Property as a % of pension funds is a very small percentage and young people also have pensions so it’s not just older generations.

Ok we get your position on public v private debt…Can you outline exactly what the government need to at present with the extra money you want them to borrow?

is it to increase social welfare, build new social houses or give fuel credits or do you have a different plan?

bearing in mind that inflation needs to come under control and is the constraint on MMT policy. You also need to take into account the rate the government can borrow at has risen by 1% and likely to rise more which means that the government has to options to cover debt servicing costs.

1) grow the economy so tax take increases…but bearing in mind this will increase inflation and that there are constraints on the labour market which means that we have a shortage of certain labour such as builders.

2) cut budget spending or increase taxes which will impact middle classes more than others.

just curious how you make a round peg fit in a square hole without making the situation worse than it already is.

If construction is considered high risk by the private sector, could the public sector step in and build on their own land. We know the private sector is really just looking for the state to cover their risk. Lets call there bluff and just take their employees for a few years instead

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

There would be all the additional costs in directly employing builders as public servants. I dont see that being cheaper but rather adding another cost layer. And if they are just contracting builders in then still a cost layer. They need to tackle why it is so dear here to build and it's highly unlikely to be because of builders and trades who I feel unfairly get finger pointed at them. Costs are rising in all countries. I say this as someone who is looking to build soon and is watching their savings go up in smoke. Personally I think low interest rates have been biggest driver of house price growth and it will be a rise in interest rates that slows growth or leads to price decline.

The government will employ private sector companies to build…it’s not like they will get civil servants to manage and employe builders as that would just be the equivalent to burning money in a big fire and getting practically nothing in return. To many committees would be required to decide on even the most simple decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,504 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

250 sqM is about 2760 sqft. . I saw quotes in Rural Limerick for a 3300 sqft house at 540k and 580k.

Ball park figure to builders finish( no Kitchen, Flooring, fireplace, stoves, painting, build in wardrobes) at about 550K. Landscaping has to be done as well

Seen planning for houses that are 3k+ sqft, about 270 sq meters that will be very hard to get build. People were looking for planning for houses that could be build for 280-300 k a few years ago.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭wassie

This. The days of the civil service being able to project manage and build direct are long gone as it was all outsourced by successive governments. They simply no longer have the the personnel or the structures in place and to rebuild that capability now would be nigh on next to impossible.

Building at scale today is a sophisticated management & risk control exercise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Thanks datadude, fwiw, we're seeing over 1 million on a renovation plus extension. I was floored.

Post edited by mcsean2163 on

Advertisement