Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭rogber

Judging by the 900 cars sporting Russian flags that drove through Berlin yesterday, plenty of them buy the Russian propaganda even when abroad or just don't care. Incomprehensible and nauseating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

The Russian youth will eat that up if the videos of them mocking and taunting Ukrainians are anything to go by.

It would be incredibly dangerous to let Russia reintegrate back into the world with their mindset. Lifting of sanctions must not be tolerated by the EU population. Finding alternate energy sources needs to go to the top of the agenda and quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

And yet they don't have the threat of automatic arrest or a prison sentence. That's the sign of a healthy democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Yes, yes we know, Polish government bad, don't like the gays and so forth

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Christ lads.

The fact that there's people actually questioning this out there.that aren't solely fed the Russian speil, That are on this side of the curtain.

Also that it's not just one or two people, makes me actually lose hope for humanity.

To see that poor woman in that report. I cried sad tears with her this morning. Still have a lump thinking of j3r.

And then you've got these sorry excuses for gobshítes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 garlic bread

This exactly. Looking at these atrocities would make you despair. As a parent myself I find it heartbreaking to look at footage like that, poor woman utterly broken and all those children raped and murdered. What makes these soldiers turn into savages? I know we have seen wars throughout history but how can these things be happening in 2022. Its so awful for us to watch and they are living it.

An aside, I met a 'friend' over the weekend and Ukraine came up. He started complaining about the government bringing in all the refugees when we have so many homeless. I found myself getting upset, said have you seen the recent news coming out of all the atrocities? Ah well, he says, we can't take on another country's worries. Like wtf, no empathy at all. I had to walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭JoChervil

Never said I don't like them. Yet so many people keep repeating it. So stop patronising me.

I only call on their populist talks nothing more. A lot of companies based in Poland are still trading with Russia. Yet Polish government will call EU about sanctions, while doing nothing themselves. Words costs nothing. You want to buy it, your choice.

EDIT: read "guys" instead of "gays", though it is worth considering, if they are gays :)

Post edited by JoChervil on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,819 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It's going to take years to fully reverse it but that's what happens when a hostile State becomes the leading energy provider.

A hostile State that after invading Crimea and Donbass was granted Nordstream 2 by Babushka Merkel and to further earn her crust she started gutting the German energy sector.

Angela should be sent to Bucha to see the reality her fat pockets are built on. I doubt it would unsettle her one bit.

There's an air of if it doesn't affect me don't be bothering me with some people. I have acquaintances like this.

I'm very fearful that in time Ukrainian refugees will feel the wrath of the narrow minded over increases in cost of living, lack of accomodation and every other woe they can find.

Imagine living in your peaceful home with a lovely life and all of that is gone overnight. Loved ones gone, careers gone the life you had planned gone. It doesn't seem impossible now that one day it could happen here.

Some of the all right jacks need to get that into their thick skulls and show some empathy. As humans we have an obligation to help out the less fortunate and understand them where we can.

Anyone who complains about bringing in Ukrainian refugees will be promptly told to **** off.

It seems to be part of the Russian army indoctrination to treat their own soldiers as sub human, degrade them and after a while they see all humanity as subhuman. The Nazi's managed it with a relatively civilised country for the time (the country of Freud, great composers (let's not mention W), sciences (produced Einstein) - although the Treaty of Versailles sowed the seeds... but, swathes of humans can be brainwashed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Heraclius

Most of these types didn't care about homelessness here until they needed it as a debating prop to be anti refugee.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭mikewest

Angela should be sent to Bucha to see the reality her fat pockets are built on. I doubt it would unsettle her one bit.

As someone who is not a fan of Angela Merkel I think you are dead wrong here. Her stupidest mistakes all seemed to be made out of an excess of compassion and I think she would be more upset than most if not all world leaders seeing what is on the ground in Bucha.

She did get the whole energy security thing badly wrong for Germany by doing the "safe and caring" things i.e. what all of us have been told is the "right" thing to do by the green politicians. Not everything politicians do is down to malice or supporting some nefarious agenda much as we would like to imagine. I don't think that consideration of Ukraine or Crimea came into the German energy calculations since 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I believe we have a duty to help out here , we should take in Ukranian refugees but we also need to not censor debate about our readiness to facilitate the numbers being touted . it seems very unlikely that we can accommodate 100 k ukrainians

• Registered Users Posts: 18,512 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

You're talking about actual sociopaths and psychopaths on social media. Let's face it - anyone who is a fan of Putin and is cheering him on in this war is degenerate.

These guys would have been cheering Hitler, Himmler and the SS on at the height of the Holocaust if there had been social media back then. You can't even begin to engage with this level of depraved individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭mikewest

it seems very unlikely that we can accommodate 100 k ukrainians.

But we can damn well try.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Ha, you are on some kind of right/left rant here. Not everything comes down to that. I believe the issue with Poland was that they decided to unilaterally remove the supremacy of the European court of justice in Poland, thereby pretty much leaving the eu in all but name. They can overule ecj rulings in Poland, so as far as I can see they can pick and choose what legislation they want to follow, defacto leaving the European union without a vote. Nothing to do with the "gays" I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

edit: Would agree with you (about Merkel). Just another in the posters long long list of angry and hostile comments about Germany/Germans, a nastier edge to that one than most though. Doesn't have a good word for them or their govt.'s, but there are lots of failures all round Europe in our relations with Russia & Putin, including here. Wisdom is very easy in hindsight though.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭thomil

The big issue with Angela Merkel is her knee-jerk decision to shut down all remaining nuclear powerplants following the 2011 Tohoku Earthquake. She'd run on a platform of "exiting" the nuclear exit that had been set in motion by the SPD and the Greens when she won against Gerhard Schröder in 2006. Her desire to ride that wave of anti-nuclear sentiment in 2011 played a huge part in leaving Germany vulnerable to Russian extortion. The events of 2014 and onwards are merely a consequence of that singular decision.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

For every war crime very few ever see justice and even then it often takes years.

How many of the thousands of war criminals down through the years have gotten off scot free.

Yeah we can point to a few like the Nuremberg trials, but thousands upon thousands of SS, Gestapo and wehrmacht went on to lead normal lives.

Did any of the Soviets ever get even tried for their atrocities?

Even cut to more recent wars like Yugoslavia or Rwanda ?

Yeah a few high profile ones were made examples of, but did the ones that carried out the murders and rapes of Srebrenica see justice.

If you want real justice you carry it out in the field.

Tito's partisans, the Greeks, the French, the Russians themselves all understood this. That's why so many Germans wanted to surrender to the Brits or the Yanks.

What the hell are you on?

Because the Russians are bogged down in Ukraine right next door to them, they should open a second front in Ireland thousands of miles away?

If they want to screw with the West they can try cut Trans Atlantic communications cables not bloody well invade the Beara peninsula.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 42 garlic bread

Yes definitely an I'm alright jack vibe with some, it's sickening. The same guy that I had the run in with wouldn't give 2 fu@ks about the Irish homeless until now, it's just a way for him to be anti refugee. I told him this too but it's pointless really, an unfortunate mixture of ignorance and lack of empathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

Oh but I do grasp exactly what happens in a nuclear confrontation.

Whatever makes you think that someone you so casually term a "craw thumping emotional" must be ignorant of elementary nuclear facts?

My opinion, and that is an opinion shared by many, many others, is that we should confront the situation. I'm not so naive as to propose attacking Russia itself (as you will note from my previous posts), but I do suggest an intervention in Ukraine. The alternative is we allow this madman to continue perpetrating his horrors for how long?... and who's next in his firing line?... and what's to say he wont use nuclear warheads now or in the future regardless of our inactivity?

My strong belief is that a humane world should not just stand idly by whilst the most horrendous of crimes are repeatedly committed day after day. And this will continue not just in this war but in many future wars to come the more we turn a blind eye. And yes, I do put the lives of innocent little girls who die defiled and terrified with no-one at their side, above my own fears of nuclear threats. And I'm proud of that. I don't believe anyone has the right to hold their own existence above that of others.

I've said it before in this thread and I'll say it again... We've none of us the right to a future on this planet if we can't confront the butchers of this world and we continue to allow such horrors to be perpetrated, nuclear threat or no nuclear threat. That threat is never going away so do we just allow these atrocities to continue forever and a day? Is a life of fear, foreboding and exposure to these horrors acceptable for our future generations, or do we take the slight nuclear risk and intervene now, thereby setting a precedent for future warmongers and despots?

The analogy is the monkey, bear or some such wild animal confined to a tiny cage for the entirety of its life, poked and prodded every day. If it had a choice would it just accept that existence for the rest of its days, or would it fight for its freedom knowing there's a slight risk it could be shot dead? I believe almost every animal would fight. We cant let the nuclear bars keep us in that cage.

I was a member of Boards many, many years ago but I drifted away, and then forgot my login and password so rejoined again. I've had much respect for a lot of your previous posts but I have to say that since you've become a moderator I've noticed that an increasing number of your posts now incorporate distinctly condescending undertones. I wouldn't class them as intending to belittle people in any way, but an intelligent man such as yourself will know exactly what I mean.

To suggest I am a "craw thumper" is somewhat derogatory. To further suggest "you still cant grasp what happens" is implying my ignorance as opposed to your perceived knowledge. I find this quite insulting, more so coming from you. I wont hold my breath for an apology.

Post edited by goldenmick on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,512 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

100% - most countries went down the appeasement route with Putin and thought they could handle him. Even up until invasion day this year. they thought they could talk him out of attacking Ukraine. It's only since the war started that we're starting to see the 'real' Putin and the real Russia. In hindsight, it's revealed as a totalitarian state and a real basket case of a country with a tyrant in power and a dysfunctional population quite unlike any other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

What's the deal with France these days. Why is the country refusing to send anything useful to Ukraine?

Is there any website showing an overview of what equipment different countries are sending.

• Advertisement

I think they have intelligence that the wider public have not been privy too.

If Putin is as ill as some of the rumours suggest he's going to want to make as much progress as quickly as possible in search of his legacy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement