Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time to join Nato

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,697 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Imagine the Shinners in power sending an aggressive force into the north.

Who is deranged?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,689 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I think you have just proven the answer to your last question. Such a possibility is unforeseeable, making the answer quite simple.

Wrong again. At the time, the De Valera government was foolish enough to consider that the threat might be real.

The threat was never real, the risk was considered small but exaggerated reactions from poor politicians made more of it.

Is this like your contention that the Shinners had a ceiling of support around 18-19%? Forgive me but I am not buying anymore of your snake-oil.

• Advertisement

Snake-oil??

Imagining a Shinner government sending an aggressive force into the north would require something a lot more stronger and weirder than snake-oil. Can you share some of whatever it is?

Oh, I forgot, you even imagined a FF government sending a "peacekeeping" force into the North, so maybe it doesn't require a stretch for you.

Your posts are getting less connected with reality.

Why would it require a stretch of the imagination?

Do you think if the Shinners were in power in '69 we would have sat idly by?

Yourself and mark completely destroyed your own argument when you towed the Neale Richmond/Varadkar line on NATO and Neutrality

We can close that door now IMO. The Irish public have repudiated that mission (the polls show opposition to joining NATO has actually grown) almost as comprehensively as they repudiated the proposed black and tan love-in.

Oh dear, this is so nutty, I can't believe you are posting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I can't follow anymore. Joining NATO, what's the risk/reward? I don't see the risk being worth the reward personally. Military is ridiculously expensive, pulls from your workforce, leads to mental and physical injury and death and into long term conflict with other countries. What would we get out of it? Slightly higher chance of support in case of an unlikely invasion and we can feel like great lads for not letting others fight for our geo political interests. Not worth it in my opinion.

Didn't you see the poll above? It's not even close, the Irish public have repudiated the notion of joining NATO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shillyshilly

Icelandic approach is very favourable for Ireland if things look to be getting nasty.

Do we need to join now... no..

Should it be discussed so we're not caught flat footed... yes..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

This basically.

We should never cut off our boll*cks and put something in our constitution that would put beyond our reach the ability to secure the defence of the nation in an emergency. For the sake of some woolly-headed notion of doctrinaire neutrality at all all times no matter what the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shillyshilly

The funny thing is, Ireland have probably contributed to almost all major NATO/Coalition/whatever nickname you want to give the west under the UN or European banner... more than Iceland have/probably will for the foreseeable.

Most recently notable are Afghanistan, where they were present in a training function for counter IED and Anti ordinance work, and also Mali on a full Peace enforcing mission basis (bearing in mind, this was area with Wagner group positions).

Iceland contribute with the location of Keflavik NAS, and endpoints for the SOSUS (or whatever their new name is) arrays...

In reality, Ireland could make it work for them, where they only contribute forces as they already have, with the concession of allowing more use of Irish facilities (tech sector/ airfields etc.. which, lets face it, is already in use in that way) ...

Given the poll Yurt do you think any government is going to take us into NATO or end neutrality?

I know your own opinion...I'm not asking about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Potentially yes. And if the European security situation is as such that Ireland needs to start having conversation about a. participating in a European mutual defence treaty or, b. joining NATO, then we need to start setting out the parameters what that may mean.

Inserting a doctrinaire clause in the constitution is against the interests of the state. National security is not a luxury and national security options are not a luxury. A sovereign state needs to have both.

Poor old Francie is forever relying on opinion polls in a vacuum to back up his nonsense positions.

Nobody actually wants to join NATO, in an ideal world we wouldn't need it (just like in an ideal world a united Ireland would be great) and opinion polls when there isn't a hard proposal reflect the views of the ideal world. I am confident that if the Russians attacked one of our EU friends, that Ireland would step up to the plate, it would be cowardly if we didn't, just like our cowardice in WW2.

The real agenda here is not against NATO but against the EU, with the likes of Francie seeking to cut off the option of an EU defence strategy. What he favours instead is a British veto on the use of our military.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,072 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

good to see that the people realise that joining nato would bring no rewards for plenty of risk.

the people do not want it as it guarantees nothing for a hell of a lot of risk and expectation.

when there is something worth discussing about it then i have no doubt that discussion will happen, but while it isn't worth as a country discussing nato membership then we are better off focusing on current issues that are actually effecting us.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Nobody wants a war, nobody wants to be part of a fight (barring those psychopaths out there who support violence). That explains the reluctance of the Irish people in an opinion poll to commit to NATO. However, my point is that it will be a different answer if the question is real. Then we will see Irish people step up. 5,000 deserted the Irish Army and joined the fight against the Nazis. Heroes all, but they were dishonorably discharged and banned from State jobs. We need more like them, and we should join the fight against the Russians when it comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

They got off lightly. In other countries they could have been shot or they might have had to remain in exile.

No country/army can reward or turn a blind eye to desertion for obvious reasons.

That'd be the Irish Army we massively increased and trained for an invasion we 'didn't feel was a threat'?

• Advertisement

There are so many steps before we would be in danger, its such a tiny risk at this point. I mean I would expect all of mainland europe to be in the hands of russia before an invasion would be imminent and I don't see how they could pull that off, they'd be lucky to make it past Poland even if they went all in. I'm not seeing the risk reward at all.

It is not just about the risk reward, it is about the right thing to do.

I know you don't like polls where you are wrong, but the people seem to think, by a large majority that joining NATO is NOT the right thing to do.

The morality is a very open debate. For example, I dont think it is moral decision for me to vote for something that I will not have to take the risk for. Neither you nor I will be the ones risking our lives. I am happy to live with the shame of being part of the club of cowards along with Switzerland and Liechtenstein etc instead of sending irish lads out there to be damaged and killed for my sense of pride. Also is the morality here based on geography? Is it that there is genocide in Ukraine that spurs us into action? What about the human rights atrocities in China and the middle east, should we send irish soldiers there?

That's where you hole these guys like Richmond and Varadkar below the water, they aren't interested in human rights at all, they are only interested in human rights when it is fashionable or their own kind. No interest when rights are abused here or in other places.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Economics101

The long spat in the above posts about Dev and WW2 neutrality is a bit pointless. One thing which has been neglected is that in 1929 Ireland was only 16 years on from a bitter civil war and the IRA were a real threat and hadn't gone away (you know). Entry into WW2 might well have provoked them to start another civil war. The most inexcusable thing Dev did was his condolence visit to the German embassy on the death of Hitler.

Also it is quite clear that the British were eventually quite understanding of the Irish position in WW2, unlike the U.S ambassador. And Ireland did treat captured allied aircrew very differently to German aircrew.

None of this should have much bearing on the position we face in 2022.

We are in a club with other EU countries, sharing sovereignty, we should also defend that club.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,072 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

being discharged and all else is what happens when you break the rules of the army, don't break army rules.

what fight are you on about? russia can't even manage the current fight they have got going so they aren't coming here.

yes they are bombing and shooting all over the place but they are losing tropps and weaponry in high numbers.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Maybe I haven't been paying attention but I don't remember the EU having sovereignty in its own right, nor us having a mutual defense pact with the EU. If we democratically decide to do that, then I wont complain but I wouldn't be in favour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭KieferFan69

No no please let’s lay this nonsense to rest. You are part of a cultural and economic union. But No Irish man should die because some vulture in Washington or Brussels decided so

Advertisement