Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport security waiting times

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

No great surprise there, but the reality is that the vast majority of people are now using on line checkin before departure, unless they have bags to check in, so for many, as long as security checks are open, it is possible to get airside way early. Not a big advantage as such, in that with the lack of seats, especially in the 100 series gates, and very little value to be had in airside shopping these days, the pleasure has well and truly gone out of flying these days.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

That's well after the morning peak and Tuesday is the quietest day of the week. 8.30 should be fine unless you're checking bags in which case I'd add an extra 30 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭gzoladz

I went to the airport on Saturday morning in anticipation of an important upcoming trip...perhaps an overkill but I am happy I did. I got to talk to DAA employees who are managing the queues, my airline and other passengers.

In summary:

*5-8am is the busiest time, now with additional pressure from travellers for later flights now showing up earlier.

*Although I was there 7am to 730am, T1, normal security line, and there was almost no queue.

*Good few staff members redeployed from other positions to help (as said on the news everywhere).

*Everyone really helpful in what they can and with a very good attitude.

*My airline's check in counter for luggage drop off opens 4hrs before the flight (this was key for me)

To keep in mind the below (I could not check it myself, but there are consistent reports about it):

*Significant issues and delays reported with the airport Long Term Parking service, poor signage, difficulty to find a spot, etc

*Loads of complaints about queues to buy food after security. Not critical, but if you travel with kids, be prepared or have a Plan B.

I will still be there at least the 4hrs before my flight this time, can't take any risk this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

I flew to Manchester Sat morning 6.30am. Got to the airport at 4 am, we had Fastrack and got through security in just over 30 minutes, Coming home yesterday Manchester airport was absolute chaos, thank god for Fast track.

Post edited by olestoepoke on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Manchester seems to have a terrible reputation for delays, even in pre-covid times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Bumpstop

I flew out of Dub T1 on Friday morning, flight departed at 1300 I arrived 3 hours before as advised, I had fast track booked.

I arrived at the airport at around 10:00 there were very small queue's for security and there was almost no one at fast track.

The security guy said it's nuts between 4am and 6 am and again in the evenings.

I never mind being at the airport for a few hours, as you can get a bite to eat and have a drink and watch the world go by.

However I think everyone turns up now early for their flights and have time to spend.

There were queues to get into every restaurant/Pub and no where to sit if you did get in.

Most of the public seats in the halls were full and even down at the gate everywhere was full.

Lots of people walking around with trays of food or drinks trying to find somewhere to sit.

So it really was a pain. There was no throughput, anyone with a seat had 2 hours or so to kill so wasn't moving.

I can see how this 3 hour thing would be attractive to airside business owners but cr@p for passengers.

As I say I never complain about being stuck in airports but this was ridiculous.

They either need to post up live waiting times so people can adjust when they turn up or else hugely expand the services airside.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,262 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

This is exactly what I feared 🙄

I have a flight the Wednesday before Easter at 7am, so hopefully will be going through before the complete mayhem of early flights plus people turning up extra early for later flights brings the whole thing to a standstill.

But I'll be bringing a sandwich for my breakfast!! And hopefully can nab a takeaway coffee and find a corner somewhere if there's time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭bikeman1

That’s exactly peal time I’m afraid. All the Dublin based aircraft head out in a two hour window roughly 06:00-08:00.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,315 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

So get there 3.5 hours before your flight…and bring your own sandwiches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

This whole thing is gross mismangement, but there is zero chance of Ryan kicking anyone's hole on account of it. But the government might have done more too, instead of paying PUP etc they could have paid the security staff during the pandemic and had them manage queues in vaccination centres or the like, as they had to pay people to do that anyway. Then when the vaccination centres were no longer needed they could have gone back to the airport

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭kildarecommuter

Was flying from T2 last night ( Monday 4th April) at 18.40, arrived at airport 15.00 and was through security by 15.15 ! Happy it wasn’t a hassle but long wait til 18.40…..

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Dublin airport app for android V 5.2.7 released overnight on Google play has had the security times reinstated to the app.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

Nice to hear. Out of interest were the airside bars and restaurants packed with all the excess passengers waiting extra hours (unnecessarily) for their flights?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,957 ✭✭✭✭GBX

If advised by your airline or airport it's not unnecessary to arrive early. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭christy c

Can you still go through security in T2 if flying from T1?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Always

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

Dublin Airport advises passengers to arrive three and-a-half hours before flights

DAA still advising to turn up 3.5 hours despite queue improvements according to Indo article this afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 12,976 ✭✭✭✭JRant

That extra queue time is to just get a bite to eat.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭gzoladz

T1 common queue 20mins. It doesn't feel any different than pre pandemic and queues for food are normal.

All fairly smooth but we are just after the rush hour. The 4-6am window is much busier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭kildarecommuter

most places were open airside with no q’s . Didn’t bother myself as it’s all overpriced for the quality of it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Blut2

The Boots mealdeal is fantastic value to be fair to them. €5 for a sandwich, a snack and a drink is cheaper than you'd find almost anywhere in Dublin, nevermind in most airports.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭C.O.Y.B.I.B

Travelling on Wednesday through Dublin at 7am with young kids.

Flying with Ryanair and have to check in bags.

- does anyone know what time I can check by bags in ? Ryanair say 5am, but that's in a standard email. Hoping it's changed in light of recent difficulties.

-has the security situation improved much?

Can be there at 3.30 if necessary, but not much point if bag drop is 5.....

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

Having heard the 3.5 hour advice on the radio, I arrived last Sunday at 6am for a 10am Ryanair flight. I couldn't miss that flight.

Dropped checked in bag, dropped an oversize item and got through security at 6.40.

I might be on the same flight!! But I won't have check in luggage, so that simplifies things for me at least. Plus it's only me.

I'm planning to bring sandwiches with me, and turn up at stupid o'clock just in case.

Could you send the others through early and just you/OH do the bag check in, so at least if there is a delay it's only you sprinting for the flight as opposed to kids and all?

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

If your bag check in is all self service, you could do that. If you have to drop bags to a desk, you need all passengers on the booking present. It happened to me when I went to check in bags and left the kids sitting with their grandparent. I had to go and get them to show passports and boarding passes.

Good idea , but not sure if Ryanair do self service . Probably not though.

I'm pretty sure they did when I last had checked in luggage - which was yonks ago, in fairness - but if Ryanair can use a machine instead of a human they're usually all over it!!

• Advertisement

I did think of that , but as tina1040 says I think we need all passengers present .

While it's be great if we get through in 40 mins , 2-3 hrs airside with tired cranky kids doesn't appeal to me . Think I'll aim for 4 and allow 30 mins bag drop , 90mins security , 30 mins to gate which leaves me at gate half hour before departure.

Feel free to spot any flaws in that plan 😀

Advertisement