Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any wittertainee's out there..?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I didn't mind the subs for variety. I'm out now for a walk and listen to another episode. Although perhaps I should ration them!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Agree with a lot of that. Found the replacements quite poor any time they were on and I swiftly switched off.

Anyways, judging by Marks tweet and the specific line "end of the show on 5 live" it seems as if they have plans in place to continue elsewhere.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Must keep an eye and ear open; cos due to BBC rules, they won't be able to tell people on the current show where or what they're headed to. I hadn't even realised Simon Mayo was an author until it was referenced in an episode, during the non BBC portion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I think it will be back somewhere else. I found the podcast this week quite emotional. I have been listening for a looooong time. There is definite demand for it I would think.

Kermode on film (which I would recommend) is well worth a listen...but isn't quite the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

To be honest I saw this coming a while back.

It was always a bit awkward after Mayo left (forced off) his drivetime show on Radio 2. I noticed the plugs for their Scal shows increased in the last few weeks, which woudn't be happening if they had a long term BBC future.

As for the stand ins, I always like Sanjeev Bhaskar, and Robbie Collin.

I would say there's definitely going to be a podcast though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

I pretty much switch off when i hear the stand ins. They're just very meh.

The two lads have the biggest movie podcast in the world don't they? They probably just want to make the money themselves for it rather than let bbc keep it. I wonder could Spotify or someone be about to snap them up?

They won't have the same pull for guests elsewhere though. They'll still have great pull but I wonder will they just miss out on the odd top guest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'd be a MTL to the podcast, usually building up a backlog of them and binging on a few months worth over the course of a DIY project. Haven't been listening lately but check out the Youtube reviews. Will be very surprised if the show doesn't pop up on another station or as a stand-alone podcast elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

If they go out on their own I would hope they do a bit more spoilery discussions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Last show on April 1st? I smell a rat.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yesterday's podcast was the most overt about the duo's future: they kept birdsong'ing out what they're doing, but Mayo did reference how WTF would "...continue in the new show", and that the show would no longer broadcast on BBC5. Fairly clear pointer they're just taking it to another provider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Heard that too. I wonder if it's another Spotify deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭RickBlaine

This remind me a lot of what happened with The Great British Bake Off. The BBC couldn't hold onto the brand they created and ended up going to a rival commercial station.

That seems a fair comparison.

They used to always say it was a something else production...I think GBBO was a prouced by Love...so they probably own the company probably own the format at least to a degree. No doubt they will put another film show in same slot but can't say I would be raving about any of the stand ins.

Will have to listen to the last show at some stage but I'm imagining it will be very nostalgic and saccharine which I'd understand if they were stopping for good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I hope they release a condensed 30-60minute film review podcast without all the wittertainment bullshit.

Or have timestamps in it?

I don't know why more podcasts don't do that.

I look forward to listening on my walk tomorrow morning :)

Sony Music logo at the bottom of the website, so I guess that might be the bankroller here? No sign of Patreon link or anything like that that might indicate crowdfunding.

Some more details...two episodes a week

Looking at cinema, streaming and film!

That will be interesting. I think Kermode really got into TV during lockdown, I know he watched The Wire and Chernobyl. Be interesting to see how that's formatted though.

• Advertisement

Even if they weren't covering TV, there are so many movies on streaming now the BBC podcast sometimes felt limited by not focusing a little more on digital releases

True....I wonder why they dropped that cream of the streams feature?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

I have to say I'm very curious to see them let off the BBC leash.

Followed.

Can't see them pushing the boundaries too much; their BBC show had a very popular, wide demographic of listeners. Am curious if they'll have interviews anymore. They weren't my favourite portion at all but perhaps without the BBC clout they won't get the stars to chat to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Kermode and Mayo’s Take launches worldwide on Thursday May 5

London, UK – April 1, 2022 – Sony Music Entertainment’s Global Podcast Division today announced it has formed a podcast partnership with leading film critic Mark Kermode and iconic host and movie fanatic Simon Mayo. The seasoned broadcasters will present Kermode and Mayo’s Take, a new twice weekly podcast series focusing on theatrical, streaming and physical film releases, as well as high-level global television in the UK and US beginning Thursday May 5th.

Sharing their expertise worldwide, Kermode and Mayo’s Take will feature the finest reviews and previews, big guest interviews and a cornucopia of audience correspondence in every episode. Listeners can expect discussions about current and classic releases, recommendations and warnings, as well as special episodes that respond to big news and events across the industry.

For the first time, the duo will also bring their much-loved dynamic to the world of TV, with Kermode extending his estimable powers of critique to high-level serialized fiction, giving audiences the best reviews from binge-worthy streaming series to cable TV. The world’s flagship film and television podcast, Kermode and Mayo’s Take will be an essential guide to listeners for everything they need to know on the big and small screens.

Kermode and Mayo’s loyal followers can also go deeper into the world of film and television by subscribing to Take 2 on Apple Podcasts. Exploring a wider variety of material and listener correspondence, Take 2 will feature an hour of recommendations for underseen movie and TV gems and the pair’s discussion of big recent movie releases in a spoilertastic fashion.

So an additional podcast 'Take 2' will be locked to Apple Podcasts which is a load of shite.

I find it strange that they didn't just call the new show Wittertainment, I wonder is that word somehow tied up with the BBC.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Test… just want to see if commenting will restore the missing posts.

EDIT: And that seemed to work! For anyone wondering, every post in this thread after 2016 had suddenly disappeared.

I wonder if this means Mark will finally learn how to pronounce Sony correctly!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I usually don't listen to podcasts but I need me Kermodeandmayo fix. I wonder will they include DVD of the week/WTF or will Mark veto that. I loved the hatred he had for this (And I hope they keep the dad jokes)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Are BBC keeping the film show going with new presenters or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

It's the Kermode and Mayo film show. Without the pair of them it's not the same show.

But I'd be surprised if they don't do a replacement film show on it.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yeah of course, just thought maybe BBC would have a new film show in the slot. I wouldn't mind as that way we get a new one to go along with the upcoming Kermode and Mayo podcast too. Can't have too many film review podcasts imo 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

Mark Kermode and Ellen Jones have a R4 weekly film program called Screenshot which no doubt is up on sounds.

I litened once but it seemed to me an uncomfortable two hander.

I forgot to check, but what aired today on BBC 5 in place of the old married couple?

According to the Radio Times it was Elis James and John Robins 1-3 and 5Live Sport at 3

First episode of new show out next week!

I'm way more excited than I should be for a podcast; but I've genuinely missed the two's bickering and chat.

Kermode on Film was packed in the last week too :(

• Advertisement

Oh yeah, that's right; wasn't quite as down about that ending, as I was very hot & cold about his regular partner in chat, Jack Howard. He was never that insightful for my blood, coming off like an excitable puppy half the time.

I've missed it too. I went to see The Lost Kingdom and caught myself trying to remember what Kermode had said about it, then remembered they'd interviewed Sandra Bullock but not reviewed.

Genealogy Forum Mod

They did say they would probably review it elsewhere, is it still in the top ten? I imagine they'll touch on it.

I'm actually looking forward to not having subs, I really disliked not hearing Mark's review of a film, hopefully with this new pod he'll review the films he misses.

First episode of new show is released at midnight tonight

Guys guys guys, they're back. The new show is up.

• Advertisement

Solid first episode. Pretty interchangeable with the old show bar some adverts. Not sure if I would pay for the other episode but will depend on cost I suppose.

I was relieved the dad jokes survived the jump; the mentions of the Second Take episode did cause a little "hmmm", hope they're not gatekeeping too much content

I found the ads a little jarring but so far (not finished the first episode), it's all fine.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

£3.50 per month to access Take 2 and for ad-free versions of The Take. Thankfully its also available on Spotify, Google Podcasts, Overcast, Pocketcasts, Podcast Addict, Castbox, BeyondPod, Downcast, PlayerFM, Breaker, and RadioPublic in addition to Apple podcasts.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I thought the first episode was a little disjointed, it lacked the structure of the previous show however obviously it's only the first episode so it may take time to settle into a rhythm.

The ads were very sudden alright, they seemed to be just stuck in there with no thought behind it.

I won't be signing up for Take Two, I'm not sure it's worth it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement