Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why KIA are the new Toyota.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

It's his hairline for me. He should just let it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

After gifting our old Merc to the local Ukrainian charity, we needed something cheaper to run/borderline ‘disposable’, for the Mrs’ local running (and finally getting used to LHD driving 😁) and for our kid to learn to drive on/with.

So, after much list-making, ads-searching and a few tests, we just bought…

…a 2019 Picanto Xline, with the newer 1l turbo engine (100 horses). 3 year old/1 elderly owner, 11000kms, balance of manufacturer warranty to mid-2026. Every toy you’d want (GPS, touchscreen, Bluetooth, cameras, parking sensors, aircon, ‘vegan’ leather (LOL!), 16” alloys, etc, etc. Less than €11k. From a main dealer.

I’m sorry, but that value is pretty hard to beat. And after driving it a few times myself, I’d put it as a ‘halfway’ proposition between my first real car (AX 1.4, for the performance-as-perceived) and our Mini Cooper S of a few years ago (for the road holding and ride firmness…a minus for many, a plus for me).

It’s surprisingly engaging to drive, for a shopping cart, and even looks kind of semi-aggressive / decent. It’s not license-endangering material like my dailies, but there’s enough there to have some good fun, harking back to the GTIs of old, like the recent VW UP GTI. I understand well, where some YouTube reviewers were coming from with that.

I don’t get the brand partisanship in this thread.

BITD, my first-ever UK/RHD car was a Hyundai S-Coupe SE. Metallic green, alloys, factory-lowered version, it looked good (better than below, alloys & color were nicer), handled fantastically (Lotus had tweaked it, IIRC), and was properly bullet proof. Sure, it was grossly underpowered (1.5l) and had a 70s interior. But the sniggers, my God the sniggers, and the brand snobbishness at the time.

Nobody had heard of Hyundai then, I’d say they were at the stage where Kia is now in terms of appeal and reputation in the west-European/UK market. Fast-forward what, 20 years or so? And look where Hyundai is now, e.g. with the i30N (…really what I was after here, but can’t justify the monster Jag and an I30N, and how do I insure the kid on it as a learner? 🤪)

Is Kia the new Toyota? Who the **** cares: like most new manufacturers (or rebooted, like Skoda BITD, Dacia more recently) give them a chance. They might surprise you for the better.

Post edited by ambro25 on

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

My view on it all is I don't know why people get so caught up about cars. You don't see people aspiring to own a particular type of washing machine, and looking down on others because they have a different brand of kettle.

Cars are just transient things. You buy them, use them for a time, and eventually they are knackered and need to be replaced. So my strategy is buy one that is as reliable as possible for as small an outlay as that allows, and get on with life. Sometimes I think people who obsess with cars must have very boring lives that they seem to devote so much time and brainpower to analysing the ins and outs of a tin box full of troublesome electronics.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Funny you say that given that you came on here more than once looking for advice from the very people who you cannot understand getting so caught up about cars:

Care to share with us your personal interests? I'm sure we can tell you similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Renault owners usually had little choice, other dealers didn't want them.Fiat had simular brand loyalty as in buy once, stuck forever unless you wanted banger money on a trade in

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Kia is the new Toyota? I don't think so. They don't have the reputation nor quality that Toyota have (or perhaps had).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Not at all. He could have bought a Corrola but me and the cousin convinced not too. After the Megane he want and bought a Mazda 3 2.0 diesel than a 6 then a Mercedes E Class. Only reason he left Renault was the dealer not the brand itself was the problem.

The parents were going to buy another Megane but after the way the dealer treated them decided against it and bought on Octavia SLX instead then two years later another Octavia an Elegance this time.

Always loads of options.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

So you and your cousin convinced him to not to buy Toyota, despite him not wanting Megane after having Renault 19 previously because of the dealer only, as the car was more reliable than Toyota?

Why?

You appear to try to convince so many people to drive the car you believe is the best for them. Why is that?

What is your car/brand experience?

Please share.

He'd a Mazda 6 in there, bit of a glutton for torture by the looks of it.

• Advertisement
    Ms

I never said he did not want a Megane. He was looking around and was considering a Corrola and we just said why would you want that boring soulless thing. He decided the rest himself. Bought a lovely red Megane Classic 1.9TD. Great car it pulled horseboxes and all.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

No it was the first model Mazda 6 and never gave him a bit of trouble.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

So it's not about Kia. It's about boring Toyota. You just hate it. Fair enough.

Kia is not new Toyota in my opinion.

They need another 20 years to get enough respect.

After a rather disappointing €550 repair in Kia dealership in Co.Kildare I wasn't convinced tbh.

That could apply to any dealership, though.

So no need to write off one brand over another ;)

Ms

No I do not hate Toyota. They make really good and very stylish cars now. Back then OK I was not a fan but I did not hate them just thought they were very boring.

GM is probably the only car brand O do hate because of them SAAB was allowed to fail and that was a big lose to the World.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

They only recommended the Megane because the Sportage hadn't been invented yet and they had to make sure they were in negative equity.

Ms

Lol. You are wrong there actually. The MK1 Sportage was out in 1993 but very few people here would have known or heard about Kia then. Besides my Uncle did not drive a Sportage he had a Landcruiser for work duty on his farm and off it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

No idea lol.

I do know someone do who had a Mitsubishi Pajero and he would ride the clutch. He went through them like you would go through a tub of butter. He always blamed Mitsubishi but it was the way he drove the car.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Kia would have been running Mazda running gear back then, Sportage, Mentor and Pride which was late 80s 121, quality would've been so so, Sportage bodystyle would have been 2/3 scale Trooper with the thirsty 626 petrol 2.0. Mazda parts were silly prices back then so most ended up scrapped quite young

Renault 19van owners who traded to Megane vans were disappointed by the poor towing ability, the issues with the breaking factory towbars and the weak clutches, the screwed shut back doors added to the cheapness, Peugeot won many new customers from Renault's cost cutting development, series 1 Megane was a rushed development using whatever was lying around the parts bin, the Scenic version saved their arse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

There are plenty who would settle for nothing less than a Bosch or a Neff. My wife being one of them..

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

Never noticed. Totally mesmerised by those sunglasses and frantic arms.

Bosch here too, none of that Beko or Whirlpool muck

Just spotted elsewhere online about a delivery of Kia/ Hyundai vehicles to Ireland last week. You'll never guess what their car carrier is called!

Close the thread, ffs 😅

Ms

Cool. Nothing wrong with that name so basically it's a grand Ura nus. There is a planet named that too. Nothing wrong with that. Just a pity you did not post this a couple of weeks ago. I had something big coming to Dublin on a ship from China. Will be picking it up soon. Can not wait :)

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

But what have they done for us recently? Kia and Toyota's current lineups are equally boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

The Toyota GR Yaris and now GR Corolla are very exciting.

🙈🙉🙊

The still offer the Supra, even if it is a rebadged BMW.

Ms

Neither of them are practicle or excessible to the everyday person do are they unless you got 50k lying around?

At least with the KIA Stinger it was practicle as it was a big 5 door car.

Also the Corrolla GR is not even coming here. It is for Japan only.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭circadian

Always Kimchi and probably an assortment of Bibimbap, Bulgolgi or other absolutely delicious food. You can knock the Koreans for their cars all you want but their food is feckin fantastic.

Advertisement