Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It's coming from Russian sources so far Ron, so I'd be questioning it until confirmed. And they don't look like marines.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭rogber

I think you are right. The Ukrainians have fought heroically but they know they can't win this war, it says a lot that Zelensky accuses Russia of war crimes and genocide yet says "we have to negotiate, we have no choice" and seems ultimately ready to cede to quite a few of Putin's demands, which suggests that despite some successes militarily they are struggling

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Yes they are quite different:-

"The National Guard is separate from the Russian Armed Forces. A law signed by President Vladimir Putin established the federal executive body in 2016. The National Guard has the stated mission of securing Russia's borders, taking charge of gun control, combating terrorism and organized crime, protecting public order and guarding important state facilities.

The establishment of the National Guard was seen as an effort to enhance efficiency and to avoid duplication of responsibilities within the Russian security system, a result of an extensive assessment of strategic challenges facing Russia. Others have accused the Rosgvardyia of being an attempt by Vladimir Putin to create a private army to control civil strife or attempts of a colour revolution, not only domestically but also abroad in friendly regimes"

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

😂 Dopey prick. Mind you that older green car in the clip looked like it had a decent paintjob. Always the petrolhead.😁

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Some of them are most certainly not marines and then the ones wearing white trainers - calling it BS unless confirmed from the Ukrainian side

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Even if its fake only a matter of time until the city is in Russian hands, they've been cut off for weeks and the city has been bisected by the Russians. Amazing that they held out that long.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭threeball

You get arrested if you're a German nazi in Germany but if you're a Russian nazi you can have a parade. That country doesn't know how to get out of its own way sometimes.

I though Ukrainian army wore yellow tape on their arm and leg to identify themselves to avoid friendly fire since they use nearly identical uniforms as russians

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Well I did a little digging and it's reported to be the 503rd Marine Battalion; whose permanent base is in Mariupol.

Here is a piece on the unit from 2019. Note that they're on parade and still don't have precisely matching gear; particularly shoes and body armour.

Here is another piece on the unit from 2022; again note the lack of consistent high quality and/or matching gear we might normally associate with marines:

Also an article noting that the unit commander died around March 13th but it wasn't specified where:

So I would say this is all consistent with a unit who might be significantly degraded enough to surrender en masse; and is also consistent with the gear the guys are wearing.

Also the only confirmation we're likely to get which wouldn't be Russian is from Ukrainian military sources: and I doubt very much they're going to admit to such a surrender. So we're left to make up our own minds; and again I don't see any particular reason to doubt this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Satellite imagery makes a mockery of Russias claims that the bodies on Bucha roads weren’t there when they left.

• Advertisement

RTÉ news tonight- watch it

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

I'd not be surprised at all if some Ukrainian forces in that city surrendered. Pummelled for weeks, running out of food and ammo(I read on twitter earlier that they and civilians were reduced to drinking water from radiators). Particularly if the Russians because of the wholesale civilian murders by them elsewhere are looking to spin some optics and "guaranteed" fair treatment to volunteer Ukrainian forces(which is what they more look like)*, who they could then parade as being well treated and go for the "how could you accuse us of war crimes, look at this!" angle. Given they've OK'd this footage and they give the nod to very little I'll bet that's what they're going for.

*If they were marine or especially Azov units they wouldn't have been given any chance to surrender.

Offcourse Putin will try every trick in the KGB handbook to get out of this one.

Thats Russias speciality,play the victim

Everything from satellite images thats easily photoshopped to staged by actors

Just wait and see there will more disinformation,excuses and lies spreading to try and blame everyone but themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I don't see why we are letting the Russian embassy operate here any longer. The Russian government are guilty of genocide and by association so is their ambassador in Ireland Filatov. We need to expel them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

You don't need hiking/military boots if you're fighting a prolonged urban action; not that Ukraine has as strict a dress code as we're used to in NATO or Western armies at the best of times. These are guys that are used to sitting in trenches for weeks on end; they don't have daily PT consisting of cross-country hikes where they'd need good shoes at all times.

In fact I would actually argue the complete opposite: if you wanted to show a fake unit surrendering you would probably have them looking as identical as possible. And you would probably block most of their faces with masks; rather than having them completely visible. And you would have made sure they all had obvious Ukraine flags or arm bands; and so on and so forth.

Anyway I'm not going to keep arguing the toss: it's possible it's a fake sure but I don't really see any compelling evidence it is fake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

read reports Russia want to end the war on the 9th of May, didnt see which year though

Dundalk, Co. Louth

It appears that the escalate to de-escalate policy applies to more than just large scale war, one of the best and most up to date reads on the current Russian nuclear policies is a 2019 thesis by Frank Kirbyson, Naval Postgraduate School:-

"The expanded role for nuclear weapons in the 2000 Military Doctrine indicates the Russian Federation adopted an “escalate to de-escalate” strategy. The 2000 Military Doctrine expanded on Russia’s classification of conflicts to include: (1) armed conflicts; (2) local wars; (3) regional wars; (4) global (large-scale) war"

And for anyone thinking that NATO involvement won't go nuclear the author concludes that current Russian nuclear policies supports (perhaps even encourages) the idea of a first strike escalation of large scale conventional conflict into nuclear conflict:-

"The 2000 Military Doctrine goes on further to state “A large-scale war utilizing only conventional weapons will be characterized by the high likelihood of escalating into nuclear war.” The expanded purpose of nuclear weapons and Russia’s clear linkage between conventional attacks and nuclear response strongly support the idea of an escalatory strategy"

It's an very good read for anyone wondering what the current Russian nuclear policy is.

"This thesis examines aims to contribute to the current debate on whether or not the Russian Federation currently possesses an “escalate to de-escalate” nuclear strategy through a comprehensive look at the evolution of Russian military doctrine, capabilities and weapons development, and major annual exercises. The cumulative assessment of this research arrives in agreeance with the 2018 Nuclear Posture Review in that the Russian Federation possesses an “escalate to de-escalate” strategy. However, this research further suggests that Russia assigns an operational role for nonstrategic nuclear weapons in the event of large-scale conflict with either the United States (and/or its NATO allies) or China.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,536 ✭✭✭brickster69

5th round of sanctions being prepared. Got a feeling a couple very nasty one's will be coming straight back within a couple of days.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

I got banned from boards simply for using that version of that word when reporting a troll - by god no moderator or admin should ban anyone in this thread when directing their horror at the Russian regime using such terms -the Russian regime including the Irish Ambassador to Ireland are indeed that

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,407 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Not sure if the Germans will agree of the Hungarians. Some seem to be deep in Putins pocket.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheTruth89

What i dont get is why doesnt the west escalate? why dont they threaten to go into a full war if they do not stop attacking Ukraine put all they're nukes on alert and face putin down see if they really want it. I think all this pandering and sitting on the fence is going ot be disasterous and further strenghten Russia in the long term i mean if we allow Ukraine a democracy to literally be butchered and absorbed by Russia the west may aswell just proclaim Russia and China as rules of the world thru force and will to kill innocent people because we are basically telling them "you can do as you please so long as you have nuke"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

The thing is, their lies are always shít lies. It's always completely implausible nonsense and on their propaganda channels, they promote multiple inconsistent and contradictory narratives. If you remember their behaviour during the skripal poisoning and MH17 aftermath, this is just par for the course.

The goal of their lies isn't plausibility, it's to provide a narrative that their loyal minions can repeat, either to themselves or to others in real life or online.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭dasdog

Seems quite skeptical - none of them are injured or look like they've spent a month under siege.

Yup. In fact I'd even go so far as to say their inconsistency and contradictions are a deliberate part and parcel of their propaganda. They know people want, need more than one source, so they appear to provide that, and confusion, while always wheeling back to the core message. And putin's pronouncements are the ultimate arbiter.

Ukraine grandma tells the truth

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Polar101

Youtube video of a Danish guy asking random Russians if Ukraine should be a part of Russia - a wide variety of answers there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,516 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

That ties in with a Guardian eye witness report yesterday - says many people were shot in Bucha in the first few days of the war.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭Soups123

Horrible stuff to be witnessing. With 4 young kids at the start of all this I’m thinking no WW3 please, but now I’ll look back at our generations handling of this as cowardly, privileged and shameful.

We all fear Nukes as the end of civilisation but Fcuk me what civilisation is this if kids and innocent people can be abused like this. It’s barbaric

i dread looking back in time and feeling shame we didn’t demand more from the world.

How long can NATO sit back and really watch this happen?

Sanctions to suit the privileged, hit them on the energy stuff and least for Fcuk sake

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement