Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

There were very few from Tipp there. I heard one woman comment to a steward that she was trying to find a pocket of Tipp supporters to sit in amongst all the Cavan people but couldn’t find any.

I had a gander at the Tipp thread on here and couldn’t even see mention of the game on it - all hurling.

A vast improvement is going to be needed for Antrim. We wasted a lot of ball yesterday. I posted previously about the end of the first half but the end of the second was even worse - Ray misses two 45s and a free (one of the 45s didn’t even go dead so allowed Tipp to launch a counter), Tommy Galligan misses a simple mark, Conor Madden too non chalant when we broke through and should have had the ball over the bar but got blocked and Caoimhin does all the hard work with a ball into the corner to kick it away.

Its great to win in Croke Park but there were far too many unforced errors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

A few thoughts:

Finals are about the result, not the performance. It may only be division four but it's our first trophy at Croker at county level for 70 years. I'm delighted to have been able to be there to see it. Getting over the line and not performing well is something we've not done a lot recently. Also, Tipp were in danger of becoming our new Roscommon in that they just seemed to have our number. It looked like it was going to be their day they way they started the second half and they were way more economical in taking their scores. They looked far less nervy than we did and probably were the better team for longer spells. We did have a slice of luck with the shot off the crossbar but Mark Russel coming off was a massive blow for Tipp- was he injured or just goosed? The three points he kicked in the first half were absolute monsters and he was cleaning up in midfield.

But when the game was in the mix, i was really impressed with our workrate and our tenacity. In fairness whilst Smith and Galligan were fairly anonymous for long spells, they both stepped up for the last 20. Lynch was exceptional and that's some tally to come back from Croker with. As mentioned, Jason wasn't far behind. Special mention to Stephen Smith who had his best game i think for the Cavan seniors. Kicked a monster point, created two goal chances with brilliant kick passes. There were lots of players who didn't have their best day at the office in terms of decision making but no one lacked for effort or commitment, but i can't help thinking that some of them either let the occasion get to them or weren't fully fit.

We won, had a good day out and we won with lots of room for improvement. I've no idea on the amount of scoring chances created but aside from three poor placed balls from Ray we kicked about four into the keepers hands at least and god knows how many wides (including Fortune's goal chance) and for once it was good to come away with a win and not be thinking about how we threw it away again.

Cop yourself on with that comment. He clearly was instructed to leave it, law of averages was that Galligan would have kicked it over and it also allowed for the clock to run down a bit as well. That Ray missed it wasn't Gearoid's fault.

He played well in the second half against Sligo but I agree his form has gone off a cliff since the Tipp match in Breffni. The plus side is that normally if Gearoid isn't performing we don't score, so to put up 2-10 and have him only contribute a free is a sign that we are progressing. I do wonder if he's 100% but he was putting in the yards and forced a few turnovers and linked well for the second goal- but didn't contribute much otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Breifne Blue

Doesn't surprise me, I'd say there was very few from Limerick either for 2nd game. We had 4 home league games and there was barely any opposition supporters at all.

This is why I don't understand people saying it's great these hurling counties are doing well. It isn't for football because they don't have support and never will. I'd much rather see the likes of Sligo, Leitrim, Louth, Fermanagh, Longford etc succeed than Tipp, Limerick and these hurling only counties down south. At least it means something to the football counties.

We can't complain too much mind because we're practically football only anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭celt262

Law of averages were not in Galligans favour yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mylestheslasher

I couldn't understand why gearoid didn't take that free. Sometimes when you look at who is stepping up to take frees through the league you'd have to scratch your head. Gearoid scores that free 9 times of 10.

Does he? I remember him missing a pressure free from 20 to 30 yards out against Armagh in extra time that meant we had to go to a replay in 2019 Ulster semi final.

I’m never overly confident of Gearoid’s free taking.

He looked nervous. I wasn't too far away from the first free (when Thomas was fouled) and I wasn't confident that he would do it.

• Advertisement

Based on his form all during the league (don't think he missed one against Carlow, Wexford or Waterford) and barring one or two against Sligo he's been very consistent, so you would have to say it was Galligan's to take. But definitely would have suited a left footed free taker.

Watched it back on the TG4 player and from my reckoning, Tipp had two wides in the first half and two in the second (and one of those was a misplaced pass into Sweeney as opposed to a shot). They did have two goal chances in the first half and obviously the shot against the bar but they from memory didn't drop any short and didn't miss a single free.

Niall Murray was really motoring on frees in 2019, another big negative of his injury unfortunately.

I still see free taking as an issue for Cavan. We’ve nobody like a Sean O’Se or Dean Rock that is scoring 80 percent plus.

It has lost us games. The 2019 home league game vs Kerry immediately comes to mind. Galligan missed frees at vital times that day.

From memory, he only started taking frees in the replay as we were so inconsistent. He wasn't a noted free taker but took on the responsibility and was really calm under pressure.

I wouldn't be too worried about the performance, and we did enough to win it. There is naturally a lot of room for improvement but I think there was more pressure on Cavan to perform and get that first trophy in 70 years than there was on Tipp, and that showed in some of our play. We just needed to fall over the line on this one I think. We created far more chances than Tipp but they looked more composed until they had to chase the game. I actually felt they were becoming into our new bogey team and there was a confidence in most of their play that they believed they had our number.

Credit where credit is due, we were far the hungrier team with 15 mins to go and let's be realistic, if Ray nails one or two of those dead balls, it's a different game.

The worrying thing is we have been falling over the line all year and will need to improve to get past Antrim. Where will the improvement come from though there have been no signs of any improvement during the league.

Conor Brady catapulted into a game in Croke Park after injury like he was in 2020 vs Dublin. He obviously features in Mickeys starting 15. Where do people think he will play? Midfield?

If fit, I think he partners one of Smith / Galligan and they rotate in and out of the square (which did happen on Saturday). Brady in midfield gives the option of Clarke picking someone up as a man marker. Speaking of which, he was great in the early games and after he picked up whatever injury he had pre-Sligo, he's not been flying. I'm never 100% convinced on Killian as a midfielder and much prefer him as a defender.

I still think we look open at the back when run at and that Clarke would be far better at the back than in midfield. I fully expect to see Brady take up a role in midfield like he did in 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

I wouldnt have Rock and O Se in the same category on frees...yes Rocks stats are impressive but he had a range....anything out near the sideline he never took on, where as SOS and Cillian O Connor for instance take them from anywhere.

Seanies freetaking in Breffni a few years ago was exceptional.....if Dublin had been in Breffni that day, Rock wouldnt take on a lot of what O Se attempted.

But the main point remains, a reliable freetaker is crucial at the top level, or indeed any level

It effectively cost us relegation to division four. Yes, we were poor and sluggish and Fermanagh clearly had a few weeks (at least!) training on us, but we kicked two poor wides from frees at the end that at least would have salvaged a draw for us. That's just one game of the top of my head! On Saturday, it was just the scoreboard that was impacted by those misses. One goes over and you suspect that Tipp would lose momentum. Whereas we missed three placed balls and it just added to the pressure. Having done some trojan work in turning the ball over and winning frees / 45 we needed to kick at least one of those to stem the tide. Anyways, we got there!

• Advertisement

I definitely think you are right that come the Antrim game there will be some rabbit out of the hat and a change to the way we have played in the league- whether it is personnel or tactics.

It could mean Finnegan or Fortune missing out but wouldn't be surprised to see Clarke back into the backs, Moynagh as a sweeper as opposed to centre back (he excelled in that role in 2019) and possibly left of centre a starting role for Martin Reilly or the Holla. If it was the former, I wouldn't be surprised to see Gerry Smith back a a half back. I know neither the Holla or Martin are going to be fit enough for 70 mins but it wouldn't be unlike Mickey Graham to have something up his sleeve for an Ulster championship match.

I'll wait till closer to try and predict the unpredictable 😀

I would have my doubts about Holla been anywhere near fit? Is that coming from what Graham allegedly said to MT or is there another source?

Graham directly after the Waterford game on We Are Cavan. Specifically mentioned Martin Reilly, Conor Brady, Holla, Conor Smith and Oisin as all being close to being back on the panel (which I assume is Oision Brady as it don't think Oisin Pierson is near fit and he had already said in that interview that it looked like Oisin Kiernan would be 3/4 weeks). So Brady obviously came on, Reilly was togged out (but not named) but must be close. He said after the Tipp game that a couple of players would be back this week. Massive ask for anyone to be out for more or less a year and be championship ready but I wouldn't put it past the Holla!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

I'll engage with this now as it's a slow day in work. I don't know who the tournament favourites were - I didn't look up the odds. Were Monaghan? I'd imagine it was a great performance by Cavan given the result but they need to follow it up against Derry. I haven't had time to sit down and watch it yet but I'm not a huge fan of streams as I've previously kept repeating to you, particularly ones where it's one man with a camera trying to follow the action. I would love nothing more than Donohoe to prove his detractors wrong and for Cavan to perform superbly in the U20 championship - I don't think anyone mentioned them needing to win it to do that other than your goodself.

In relation to watching games, I love watching games, especially live. Over the weekend, I was at a minor game Friday evening, then called into a senior club game on the way home, attended the Cavan game on Saturday and was at my club game on Sunday. How many games did you attend over the weekend? You don't seem to reference the club game much other than streams. Do you attend games other than county games?

You have good points to add on this forum but I don't see the need for the catty remarks. As with many supporters, I'm not able to attend absolutely every game so I will speak to others - the recent London game being a prime example. You referenced teachers telling you Chris Conroy was a good coach. By your own rule, you should only be accepting their opinion if you've seen Conroy coach yourself.

We Are Cavan also mentioned Holla as being near a return and I'm almost certain that Graham mentioned him as a returning name in his interview with them. He might get a light run in some of the challenge games I would expect they have organised for the next few weeks.

A free taker to keep the scoreboard ticking over is huge. The more distance you can put between yourself and a team coming back at you the better - it allows breathing space. I've seen other counties getting their keeper to take even some of the handy frees - Meath for example with their new goalkeeper Harry Hogan. Should Cavan be doing the same? Is it unfair to expect Ray to come up for long, difficult kicks only and boom them over?

On what basis do they feel the better team lost? In fairness I had thought something similar leaving Croke Park but when I watched the coverage I realised the amount of missed chances that Cavan had - we should have had that game tied up long before the end.

I do agree that Cavan fell over the line and are not playing near their potential.

The GAA Hour said very little about the game. About 2 minutes discussion, if even that, with all 3 people - Finian Hanley, Darren O'Sullivan & Eamon McGee - saying that Cavan and Tipp will still both be below their level next year in Division 3. O'Sullivan also mentioned that in previous years he felt Cavan could match Division 1 teams for 60 minutes but fell at the final hurdle in the last ten minutes of games. He referenced it re the Rossies now trying to stay in Division 1.

I haven't seen the Division 3 final yet but a friend from Armagh did comment that he felt the Division 4 final was a better game and that either Cavan or Tipp would beat Louth or Limerick.

I would like to see the stats on chances created, but at a guess Tipp hit three wides and missed two goal chances (three if you count the first minute attack). Realistically the goal chance in the first half wasn't on, Faulkner, Galligan and McLoughlin dealt well with that. Let's say 2-3.

We easily missed 1-4 in the first half and then at least 5 wides in the second half. That doesn't take into account dropped short or attacks created (especially in the first half) that broke down through careless hand passes, poor kicking or decision making. Tipp sat back, hit us on the break and had a ridiculously efficient return. Missed no frees, kicked very little wide and as good as Russel is, he's not kicking 4 amazing points from four chances like that every outing.

So can't really see how Tipp were the better team. More economical perhaps.

The match review is up on WAC and Paul Fitzpatrick mentioned Christy O'Connor writing an article for the Sunday Times stating that Cavan had 40% conversion rate and Tipp had 68%. Perhaps it was because emotions were running high at the time but I didn't realise just how many missed chances Cavan had until I watched the TG4 coverage back.

Fitzpatrick also mentions something alluded to on here as well - moving Killian Clarke into the full backline. However, he suggests taking Faulkner out when doing so. I'd agree with putting Clarke back in there but I would leave him in with Faulkner for extra cover. Our backline has really struggled with marquee forwards over the past twelve months - Quigley from Fermanagh, McGuigan from Derry, McCurry from Tyrone and Sweeney the other day. It's unfair to leave Faulkner so isolated against these players. Clarke has the pace and athleticism to really make a difference in there. Faulkner being one on one means these lads have the time and space to knock the ball down to themselves or someone else with nobody hovering up in front of them.

Interesting that the lads mentioned Martin Reilly played for Killygarry at the weekend, along with Oisin Brady. Antrim will have seen plenty of images of Martin running around in a tracksuit and not named at the weekend. I still think Graham has something up his sleeve to hit us on the blindside. For example, who last year expected Breen O'Connell to come in from nowhere and start vs Tyrone?

• Advertisement

The U20 game on Friday evening is being shown on the TG4 app and their YouTube channel.

Advertisement