Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

I would qualify this and state that any debt owed to the ECB will not be paid back. In the same way that money can be created out of nothing by the ECB, so too can it turn debt to nothing. And it will have to do this or sink the whole Eurozone project.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Pomodoro

A couple of things stand out here:

• Don't assume the value of your 60k will stay constant. They value of money is currently falling rapidly, and the money printing is continuing
    • You will find people exactly like you on this forum waiting 1,2 and 3 years because "the crash is coming" for over a decade now. Make your decisions based on current conditions, in a way that can give you some certainty (i.e. a long term. fixed rate mortgage with a repayment you can afford). because predicting anything over a 2 year horizon right now is simply not possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭Villa05

Latest financial analysis from Paul Sommerville, well worth a listen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭Timing belt

I would strongly agree with your dad.

Everyone expects a recession to be like ‘08 but that was different and the main reason that it was such a deep recession was that the country ended up bankrupt and IMF and Germany dictated policies. Add on top a massive oversupply and loads of individual landlords that were forced to sell because they were unable to make mortgage repayments.

Any individual landlords today don’t have the same risk as LTV is substantially lower.

There have been loads of recessions in the past and only one saw a drop in property values.

Just got a very strange call from a building society that I had mortgage approval with back in 2007, just wondering if I am happy with my current mortgage and would I think about swapping to them!

I had approval 15 years ago! Why are they so desperate for customers?

• Advertisement

Property as a % of pension funds is a very small percentage and young people also have pensions so it’s not just older generations.

Ok we get your position on public v private debt…Can you outline exactly what the government need to at present with the extra money you want them to borrow?

is it to increase social welfare, build new social houses or give fuel credits or do you have a different plan?

bearing in mind that inflation needs to come under control and is the constraint on MMT policy. You also need to take into account the rate the government can borrow at has risen by 1% and likely to rise more which means that the government has to options to cover debt servicing costs.

1) grow the economy so tax take increases…but bearing in mind this will increase inflation and that there are constraints on the labour market which means that we have a shortage of certain labour such as builders.

2) cut budget spending or increase taxes which will impact middle classes more than others.

just curious how you make a round peg fit in a square hole without making the situation worse than it already is.

If construction is considered high risk by the private sector, could the public sector step in and build on their own land. We know the private sector is really just looking for the state to cover their risk. Lets call there bluff and just take their employees for a few years instead

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

There would be all the additional costs in directly employing builders as public servants. I dont see that being cheaper but rather adding another cost layer. And if they are just contracting builders in then still a cost layer. They need to tackle why it is so dear here to build and it's highly unlikely to be because of builders and trades who I feel unfairly get finger pointed at them. Costs are rising in all countries. I say this as someone who is looking to build soon and is watching their savings go up in smoke. Personally I think low interest rates have been biggest driver of house price growth and it will be a rise in interest rates that slows growth or leads to price decline.

The government will employ private sector companies to build…it’s not like they will get civil servants to manage and employe builders as that would just be the equivalent to burning money in a big fire and getting practically nothing in return. To many committees would be required to decide on even the most simple decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,631 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

250 sqM is about 2760 sqft. . I saw quotes in Rural Limerick for a 3300 sqft house at 540k and 580k.

Ball park figure to builders finish( no Kitchen, Flooring, fireplace, stoves, painting, build in wardrobes) at about 550K. Landscaping has to be done as well

Seen planning for houses that are 3k+ sqft, about 270 sq meters that will be very hard to get build. People were looking for planning for houses that could be build for 280-300 k a few years ago.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭wassie

This. The days of the civil service being able to project manage and build direct are long gone as it was all outsourced by successive governments. They simply no longer have the the personnel or the structures in place and to rebuild that capability now would be nigh on next to impossible.

Building at scale today is a sophisticated management & risk control exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Thanks datadude, fwiw, we're seeing over 1 million on a renovation plus extension. I was floored.

Post edited by mcsean2163 on

That is 350/ sqft or 4k/sqM. That is crazy. In Rural area three years ago build costs were 80/sqft.

There is one good thing the thing to cure high prices is high prices. I am getting vibes that there will be huge roll back on some of these projects not just in Ireland but accross the world

Slava Ukrainii

And yet SF believe they can build houses for 150k

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

3k/sqm on renovation and 2k/sqm on new build part for builders finish excluding Vat and excluding architect fee. Heart attack stuff and let's not forget contingency to be added.

It's someone that was referred to us. I'm shocked.

I got in touch with a friend and he was saying another was quoted over twice what he paid for his extension 7 years ago.

I'd YouTube the house myself but my wife would kill me. Prices seem very high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Would tend to agree, I think the West is starting to rot, everything revolving around debt generation in order to sustain the growth required in order to keep civilisation going.

I think this Ukraine war and fertiliser crisis will create a serious food shortage problem, couple that with global warming and reduced crops yeilds we could see a drastically changed society in 20 -30 years time. Personally I would love to see a change away from corporate greed.

Famous saying is "society is 9 meals away from anarchy", do often put my tin foil hat on and wonder why has got Bill Gates so involved with buying farmland in America. Globalisation seems to have shown us in the wake of Russia and the Pandemic how much we relie on cheap goods and raw materials from the East in order to fulfil our throw away excess high growth lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Interesting time ahead anyway, main contractors getting cold feet about government projects and getting locked into fixed price contracts, more than a few projects in all sectors getting shelved due to rising costs, contractors losing their shirt on projects they are locked into and the government are going to need to find a few extra billion if they want to build everything they've promised.

Cost of living bound to take some heat out of the private housing market but potentially could be some bargains to be had with BER F/G type homes, not very appealing with heating costs heading skyward.

The younger generation are not interested in BER F/G type homes.... Every post on here talks about the cost to upgrade the house to a higher BER rating after buying it.... despite the fact that a very large % of the population is living in such homes and are not in a financial position to upgrade to a high BER rating..... Maybe a generalisation but that is how the posts come across to me.

Projects are definitely being put on hold and of the projects that are going ahead the developers/builders are trying to buy supplies up front which in turn creates more demand and pushes the prices up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭DataDude

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭DataDude

Incredible. Have you purchased or just establishing costs in advance of bidding?

If there is even a vague sense of rational economics in the housing market, the value of land should be taking an absolute pummelling with build costs like that.

Dermot Bannon, Home if the year and similar programs have a lot to answer for. These were grand when building costs were cheaper.

My older brothers and sister older than me got houses build were 100-120 sq meters. By the 90's it was 150-180sqM. But it's crazy now with people looking to get 250-300+ size houses.

People forget that all these prices are builders finish. Add another 50-100k to get the house livable in

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭combat14

its simply just not sustainable any more - anecdotally also hearing building projects being cancelled due to spiralling costs - hard to restart work then and job losses looming - incredible really just when we need building to ramp up ... the overall cost and in particular the price rises are simply far too high and more importantly unaffordable and unpredictable..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Globalism is unsustainable on many levels: environmentally, financially, demographically and even ethically. Humans are a tribal, group-orientated species. We're not meant to be plugged into this global nightmare factory as we are through social media and the economic models that we follow. The former has already driven many people utterly insane! Something has to give, or we'll be living in Mega-City One...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭wassie

• Registered Users Posts: 29,518 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

our model of debt based monetarism is actually a good one, but typical humans, we ve fcuked it up, we ve confined debt forgiveness to the more plutocratic entities in society, and enforced debt repayment everywhere else, this is starting to collapse now, we ll end up in a world war if we re not careful!

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

Renovation costs are 1.5 times new build costs? That’s madness. We’re looking at a renovation and extension and it hadn’t occurred to me the renovation part would cost MORE than the extension.

That is because renovation now is nearly a complete rebuild. People are tearing out floors, walls ceilings etc. Then you have the risk of coming accross unforseen issues. Steel and lintels being put in to have panoramic views. Velux windows and roof lights. New windows and doors, complete rewireing, plumbing and heating system over hauls. As I said Dermot Bannon has a lot to answer for.

Guest room must have ensuite as well. I have seen plans for a house lately. Young couple, both in there mid 20's. Four bed house, living area 15X5 meters( I still have to convert to put the reality in it 50'X16'), second sitting room. Office, four bed rooms, two on suite, master bed room has massive walk in wardrobe, bathroom, shower in toilet in living area, utility and pantry. House is over 300/ sq meters. If it gets build they will be paying for it until they are 70. They end up scarficing a lot of there life for a house,( children, holidays etc) and will not be able to afford to retire until on there 70's.

Saw plans for another house on a sloped site. Bedrooms on lower level. Living area is above bedrooms. No issues with that, but it's footprint is nearly double the size of the bedroom footprint. You are into structural steel and mass concrete. To top it all off they have a 15X2 meter balcony off the upstairs living area. With its glass tailings it has probably added 50k to price of house.

Some of the sh!t going on is hilarious if it was not so stupid.

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

The industry itself have admitted that housing could be delivered far cheaper using a different approach

"The fact is policy-influenced and soft costs account for 50pc-52pc of the cost of any home, " said the report. "A homebuilder building for the State can do so for 50pc cheaper because these additional soft costs are not in play."

It claimed that if there was a "level-playing field" between public housing and private residential housing, then supply issues would not be so acute. It dismissed allegations that the homebuilding sector commands a premium when building private residential

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

Well, steel and roof lights might be optional but a lot of the expenses are necessary due to the age of properties and the current building regs. We knew we needed replumbing and rewiring because the house is 50 years old. But we’ve also been told we have to tear up the screed downstairs to add insulation and change the heating system. New windows are required because ours are old and the seals are failing but we would have needed to upgrade for BER reasons anyway. There doesn’t seem to be much choice about all these elements.

Advertisement