Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB reconnection / new connection for derelict property

Options
  • 05-04-2022 2:18am

Hi all,

I hope someone is able to help. I recently bought a derelict property with all the wiring, etc stripped out.

I need to get the house reconnected to the ESB and as it has been more than two years since it was disconnected, I’m assuming it will require a new connection.

I plan to connect a temporary mobile home to this connect whilst the house is renovated.

Does anyone know if the ESB will switch on the connection even though the house itself doesn’t have wiring?

My electrician has already installed a new meter cabinet outside the property, run the red cable under ground as well as ducting.

I applied for connection 3 weeks ago and still haven’t heard a peep. The online tracking just says a quote is being prepared.

thanks in advance

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

You'll need a RECI cert for it before ESB will connect. Therefore the house needs to be wired properly first.

If you are in a mobile for a while you could install a metered connection pillar at a suitable location on the site, and get a reci cert for connecting it to the mobile home. Then when the house is ready you can apply for a line alteration to get ESB move the supply to the meter box on the house.

long story short, you need to do it properly. ESB Networks aren't going to entertain dodgy ad-hoc set ups, and for good reason.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

Quite confused as to why you thought I was looking for a "dodgy ad-hoc setup". Regardless, your information is incorrect. Had a visit from ESB today and they will connect the house without needing for it to be wired as I won't be living in it initially. The only cert required initially is to ensure the meter box and cabling to the pole connection has been appropriately done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 haz219

Hey guys i have an old cottage that came with our house. Looking at doing it up and wanted to see if anyone knows the reconnection cost for ESB. I have a black meter out side the house with a serial number etc. tag on it says inspection was 2004. ESB gave me the MPRN but said as 2 years are up since it had electricity an engineer would need to write up bill for a new connection. They can give me no ball park. Have read online where people have paid 3k?! My electrician seems to think if i have MPRN and black meter that it wont be that much. Any help much appreciated. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭MacDanger

€400 if it's deemed a reconnection AFAIK

Advertisement