Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Signing a physio that can keep Farrell fit could be the biggest signing Connacht make. A joy to watch when fit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭testtech05

Should probably have a 3rd try to show for our efforts but some decent signs.

I think the forwards need to hold onto the ball a bit more. Treviso have a man gambling on the pull back (usually to jack) on almost every play and have caught us behind the gainline a couple of times as a result.

A bit more animation from the forwards and holding on to the odd one could pay off.

As usual a couple of poor turnovers against us one off first phase from a set play which is unforgivable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Mixed bag so far. They found all the gaps first 10 minutes or so but have been toothless in the Treviso 22 ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Connacht's ball protection is utterly abysmal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Benneton are wasting time on their man advantage with these scrums.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

The kindest thing you can say about that is a win is a win and you'd have grabbed it with both hands pre-match. Atrocious game management, brutal line support for most of the match after a good start, woeful discipline and the lineouts under Heffernan are as poor as you'd see at this level.

We could ship 100 points on aggregate against Leinster you'd fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

Good result for Connacht! Not a easy place to get a win in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭testtech05

Not sure what to make of that game. In one way it's the kind of game we have lost all season and reacted really well after going behind to manufacture a try from the only meaningful bit of possession we had in the whole 2nd half.

As is the case all season ball protection very poor but don't think that's gonna change at this stage.

Prendergast was everywhere but the yellow was a bit silly on his behalf when we were under lots of pressure. Had assumed tuimanga would come on at TH and switch to LH when McGrath came on, not sure what the thinking was there.

Great to see Gavin back on the pitch and thought Tierney Martin showed some glimpses bar the silly push in the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

If Connacht play like they did today, and Leinster play like they did in the first half against Munster (which is a still a ways off from their best), it’ll be forty plus point hammerings in both legs.

Connacht are so inconsistent but they will up their game big time on Friday. Friday night lights, history being made. interpro, Bundee back!

Can see it being a very tight game. Connacht stayed close in both Leinster matches in URC for the first 50 minutes and the occasion will help them keep that for 80.

id expect the first match to be a one score game, second leg could be 40 off points to Leinster depending on how Connacht can recover after the first battle.

On the injury front was there any word on Buckley, Butler, wootton and Sullivan?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

The lads who can't build out anything they acquired on the cheap? Can't see this catapulting United into the Champions League but I'm sure they did extensive due dilligence with competent professionals. Just like the last time. And the time before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭RonnieL

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Feeling more deflated myself! Still, at least we sneaked over the line on Saturday.

Looking forward to this game. What a occasion friday night should be and I wouldn't be surprised if Connacht pull off a shock. Leinster are bringing out all the big guns they know whats in store for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

I see Chay Mullins has been named in the Irish Sevens squad. All has gone quiet on him signing up for next year. He looked fantastic for the 20's this year.

I didnt know Paul Boyles family are originally from Roscommon, Thornberys family came from barna in Galway. Funny how things come full circle.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I think Connacht are fucked with the urc. Scarlets will probably pass them and they have to go to S.A. The only win that I can see is v Zebre. The Bok sides are ahead of them with a game in hand! This is not looking good for Chamions cup qualifying.

If they finish down near the bottom of the table it's a very poor year. Winning the Euro is not in the cards, regardless of how they fare v Leinster.

Not to take a dump on a guy but, Friend is out of his depth, imo. The sooner he's out the door, the better. I fear him being a contender for the national team. Bring back Nigel!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Treaty fella

And Tom Farrell family are from Mayo

Joe Biden is from Louth and Barack Obama is from Offaly.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭RonnieL

I think the lack of activity on here in the week of our first ever appearance in the champions cup knock out stages is a good indication that you're not the only one feeling deflated. I think we'd all agree that the most likely outcome on Friday is another Leinster cake walk, but the optimist in me is thinking our underdog status represents a glimmer of hope. If we start well and the crowd get involved, anything is possible. As we know too well, you can never rule out a sending off these days either (clutching at straws here I know).

• Advertisement

Actually, I'm looking forward to Friday. Bundee's absence, and a couple of uncharacteristically poor performances from Tom Daly have led to big problems in midfield. Bundee's return will close that gap. I think our pack will front up big time. I'm hoping for Mach, Porch, Wooton back three. And Carty v Johnny at 10. There's a lot to look forward to. They'll murder us at the Aviva, but we have a shout this week.

Post edited by Zeugnis on

Will be the first time Bundee and henshaw face off.

Robbie's only played this fixture once (this year). Could be they go with Frawley/Ringrose.

I do hope that Leinster decide that 'it's a week too early' for Kelleher and Porter. I'm big fans, but in favour of allowing them to sit this one out. Tadhg and Dan Sheehan are enough to be worrying abvout ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

No Robbie this weekend afaik.

Ah ok, I just presumed robbie would start. The team selections will be interesting.

Will porch face lowe? Osullivan is a bigger man could be better in defence, I know Arnold has played on the right wing against Munster on a few occasions. Lowe was very dangerous against Munster

Has Henshaw played in the sportsground for Leinster yet?

Surely has to be a contract clause if he’s not included in this weeks team then so?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,625 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

:D

i dont think Henshaw trained this week, so hes unlikely to play in the showgrounds on Friday. Nothing to do with a contract though :P

interestingly, in henshaws 5 years at Leinster, last months URC game was his only appearance against Connacht in that time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

I always thought it was unlikely he would line out for Sligo Rovers to be fair.

Advertisement