Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3090 rtx - White

Options
  • 03-04-2022 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭

I gonna be building a new PC soon and have decided with going with an all white build with the Thermal take View 51 case. I want to get 3090 in white but dunno know what to pick between the 10 gb or 24 gb Is there any point in getting the 24 is it overkill ??? or does it make a big difference in performance ???

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

All 3090s are 24GB. And yes, it's overkill, but there's no other 3090 option. It's also a fairly pointless purchase, as options like the 3080Ti exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Fitz II

There is a white ROG strix and a Galaz 3090 card in white too. Can be hard to source as white builds are popular (and rightly so, they look class). The 3080ti is the better gaming card, 3090 is only really if you must have the best or you have productivity work that requires all the memory. In 1-2 months the 3090ti will be available so thats the best of the best card

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭STEE

Sorry I meant the 3080 ti in white compared to the 24gb 3090 ti Is it worth getting a 2080 ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Unless you have some very specific reason that needs 24GB of RAM, then don't bother with the 3090. You'd only be paying an extra €500 for VRAM you don't need and won't use. You'll get almost exactly the same performance from a 12GB 3080Ti.

Anyone know any websites selling a 3080 ti white ?

• Advertisement

Does ASUS make vertical graphics card holders ?

They do:

It's PCI-E 3.0 though. There can be some compatability issues between boards vs GPU risers vs the GPU. Most can be resolved via manually setting the PCI-E mode to 3.0. But if you've got a 4.0 board, you may want to get a 4.0 riser cable too.

What motherboard in white would go well with a 3080 Ti white ? Im thinking of a ASUS RoG STRIX or ASUS Maximus https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-maximus-series?FilterLevelTagId=77&tagID=2715,416,429&items=9934,10088&inStock=

Is Maximus overkill ? Its mad expensive What do I need on a motherboard for gaming ? I never built my own system First time doing so, I haven't a clue about mobos

The Maximus boards are most definitely overkill, and unreasonably expensive. The Strix or Prime series of boards are much more reasonable.

• Advertisement

What features / options should I be looking for from a motherboard for gaming ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Fitz II

There are so many variables. If you are palnning on overclocking or running high performance parts (which you are) good quality VRM's and capacitors. Obviously something that fits with you aesthetic, and has the features you are after like Wifi, 10gb ethernet, number of NVMe slots / SATA ports.

Most motherboards perform within a few percent of eachother and performance differences only really become apparent in extreme overclocking. Having said that a good bios and good track history of bios updates are important.

I find one with the aestheti I am after and then go on Gamers Nexus / OC3D youtube and watch a review, Gamers nexus in particular is very detailed, but the delivery of info is so fast you need to be on cocaine to take it all in.

Whats 10gb ethernet on a motherboard ? Any advantages for gaming ?

No, you really, really don't need 10Gb for gaming.

Advertisement