Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,504 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

That is 350/ sqft or 4k/sqM. That is crazy. In Rural area three years ago build costs were 80/sqft.

There is one good thing the thing to cure high prices is high prices. I am getting vibes that there will be huge roll back on some of these projects not just in Ireland but accross the world

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

And yet SF believe they can build houses for 150k

• Registered Users Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

BAM recently stalled a big project in cork city centre due to costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

3k/sqm on renovation and 2k/sqm on new build part for builders finish excluding Vat and excluding architect fee. Heart attack stuff and let's not forget contingency to be added.

It's someone that was referred to us. I'm shocked.

I got in touch with a friend and he was saying another was quoted over twice what he paid for his extension 7 years ago.

I'd YouTube the house myself but my wife would kill me. Prices seem very high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Would tend to agree, I think the West is starting to rot, everything revolving around debt generation in order to sustain the growth required in order to keep civilisation going.

I think this Ukraine war and fertiliser crisis will create a serious food shortage problem, couple that with global warming and reduced crops yeilds we could see a drastically changed society in 20 -30 years time. Personally I would love to see a change away from corporate greed.

Famous saying is "society is 9 meals away from anarchy", do often put my tin foil hat on and wonder why has got Bill Gates so involved with buying farmland in America. Globalisation seems to have shown us in the wake of Russia and the Pandemic how much we relie on cheap goods and raw materials from the East in order to fulfil our throw away excess high growth lifestyle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Interesting time ahead anyway, main contractors getting cold feet about government projects and getting locked into fixed price contracts, more than a few projects in all sectors getting shelved due to rising costs, contractors losing their shirt on projects they are locked into and the government are going to need to find a few extra billion if they want to build everything they've promised.

Cost of living bound to take some heat out of the private housing market but potentially could be some bargains to be had with BER F/G type homes, not very appealing with heating costs heading skyward.

The younger generation are not interested in BER F/G type homes.... Every post on here talks about the cost to upgrade the house to a higher BER rating after buying it.... despite the fact that a very large % of the population is living in such homes and are not in a financial position to upgrade to a high BER rating..... Maybe a generalisation but that is how the posts come across to me.

Projects are definitely being put on hold and of the projects that are going ahead the developers/builders are trying to buy supplies up front which in turn creates more demand and pushes the prices up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭DataDude

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭DataDude

Incredible. Have you purchased or just establishing costs in advance of bidding?

If there is even a vague sense of rational economics in the housing market, the value of land should be taking an absolute pummelling with build costs like that.

Dermot Bannon, Home if the year and similar programs have a lot to answer for. These were grand when building costs were cheaper.

My older brothers and sister older than me got houses build were 100-120 sq meters. By the 90's it was 150-180sqM. But it's crazy now with people looking to get 250-300+ size houses.

People forget that all these prices are builders finish. Add another 50-100k to get the house livable in

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭combat14

its simply just not sustainable any more - anecdotally also hearing building projects being cancelled due to spiralling costs - hard to restart work then and job losses looming - incredible really just when we need building to ramp up ... the overall cost and in particular the price rises are simply far too high and more importantly unaffordable and unpredictable..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Globalism is unsustainable on many levels: environmentally, financially, demographically and even ethically. Humans are a tribal, group-orientated species. We're not meant to be plugged into this global nightmare factory as we are through social media and the economic models that we follow. The former has already driven many people utterly insane! Something has to give, or we'll be living in Mega-City One...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭wassie

• Registered Users Posts: 29,307 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

our model of debt based monetarism is actually a good one, but typical humans, we ve fcuked it up, we ve confined debt forgiveness to the more plutocratic entities in society, and enforced debt repayment everywhere else, this is starting to collapse now, we ll end up in a world war if we re not careful!

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

Renovation costs are 1.5 times new build costs? That’s madness. We’re looking at a renovation and extension and it hadn’t occurred to me the renovation part would cost MORE than the extension.

its madness, spare rooms for the sake of it. "guest rooms" incase a someone calls and stays (who does that anymore) once in a blue moon. its a load of bollix, have relations building 250sqm-300sqm houses , pure insanity. 150-180 is sweet point , dont think its worth the time stress and money going anything smaller than that. some of the mansions these days are getting out of hand though with the finishes they go for ontop of it all. couldnt think of anything worse than having to pay it all back

That is because renovation now is nearly a complete rebuild. People are tearing out floors, walls ceilings etc. Then you have the risk of coming accross unforseen issues. Steel and lintels being put in to have panoramic views. Velux windows and roof lights. New windows and doors, complete rewireing, plumbing and heating system over hauls. As I said Dermot Bannon has a lot to answer for.

Guest room must have ensuite as well. I have seen plans for a house lately. Young couple, both in there mid 20's. Four bed house, living area 15X5 meters( I still have to convert to put the reality in it 50'X16'), second sitting room. Office, four bed rooms, two on suite, master bed room has massive walk in wardrobe, bathroom, shower in toilet in living area, utility and pantry. House is over 300/ sq meters. If it gets build they will be paying for it until they are 70. They end up scarficing a lot of there life for a house,( children, holidays etc) and will not be able to afford to retire until on there 70's.

Saw plans for another house on a sloped site. Bedrooms on lower level. Living area is above bedrooms. No issues with that, but it's footprint is nearly double the size of the bedroom footprint. You are into structural steel and mass concrete. To top it all off they have a 15X2 meter balcony off the upstairs living area. With its glass tailings it has probably added 50k to price of house.

Some of the sh!t going on is hilarious if it was not so stupid.

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

yeah the en suite for every bedroom is a great one. will never understand it. not gonna act like an expert on it but from the smallest bit of research people should be able to find what would be costing them fortunes and design accordingly. architects have a lot to answer for in that regard. corner windows , big sliding doors , balconies on upstairs bedrooms etc. all grandeur and as you say you'll be paying it back until your 70s when the house is too big for 2 people. big slow down on the way for the one-off builds , cant see any other outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

The industry itself have admitted that housing could be delivered far cheaper using a different approach

"The fact is policy-influenced and soft costs account for 50pc-52pc of the cost of any home, " said the report. "A homebuilder building for the State can do so for 50pc cheaper because these additional soft costs are not in play."

It claimed that if there was a "level-playing field" between public housing and private residential housing, then supply issues would not be so acute. It dismissed allegations that the homebuilding sector commands a premium when building private residential

Well, steel and roof lights might be optional but a lot of the expenses are necessary due to the age of properties and the current building regs. We knew we needed replumbing and rewiring because the house is 50 years old. But we’ve also been told we have to tear up the screed downstairs to add insulation and change the heating system. New windows are required because ours are old and the seals are failing but we would have needed to upgrade for BER reasons anyway. There doesn’t seem to be much choice about all these elements.

• Advertisement

I have no doubt there is an element of what bass is saying going on, but I'd imagine it's confined to a small proportion of people.

Can you give a brief description of the renovation proposed, just to see if the cost differential can be in anyway justified

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

There is always someone along to blame someone else in Ireland. Its the main reason we will never ever catch up on housing supply.

We havent a hope in hell of building enough houses for the current demand, never mind additional future demand. Its too far gone.

Hard to disagree, but we really need to ask how we have had a starting point of knocking down oversupply to chronic undersuppy in the space of a decade.

I think its a situation that could have been managed better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

It's really simple supply will never catch up with demand unless the state gets up off its arse and starts building houses in a big way and we all know that under FG/FF that will never happen as they are ideologically opposed to that.

Private developers are like any other private business their sole purpose is to make money so they will never catch up with demand because it would not be in their financial interests to do so. You can bring in all the schemes and tax breaks and various other nonsense you want to encourage the private sector the simple fact is it can not and will not meet demand.

The cheapest part of any houses is the four walls. When you get into renovations the only saving I see is the fact the house was there so no planning required.

There is a large percentage of people that want the '' new house or new house look''. What people need to start realising is forget about Ber ratings. Look at running costs. There is no one forcing you to have a A rated house unless its a compete new build.

When you go looking for planning ya they want iy. A lot of C and D rated houses have nearly as low running costs as an A rated house.

We have a holiday home and the one next door was bought lately. New owner is talking about changing the windows and door, doing insulation, revamping it completely and bringing the house up to an A or B rating. It will cost 150-k IMO. This is a holiday home.

We have put in a pellet stove in the living area. We hardly burn 150 euro worth of pellets in the year. Our electricity bill is less than 600/year for th house. The windows and door were put in about 2003/4. Are they not as well sealed as nowadays, ya but spending 20-30 k replacing them ??. It just dose not make sense. Ya I probably do the insulation wrap some time on it. But surely there is some way to redo window seals. The crazy part is the new windows will have exactly the same issue in 20-30 years time

It's the same with doing floors. Is it justified to take out floors and put in new insulation and underfloor heating. Even in a small house its adding 10+k to the job at least. This might seem all beer. But managing minor costs is as import as managing the larger ones.

In a lot of older houses a pellet stove based heating system should probably be considered. On some houses drylining using insulated board should be looked at. These also make rewiring much easier.

But you will not have the ''A rated house or the new house look''.

Slava Ukrainii

taxes account for a lot of costs but there is no allowance made for loss of such taxes in SF alternative budget so the 150k per house is including taxation. If the costings can be backed up then then they could show the public where the 3billion in lost taxes each year is taken into account.

20,000 houses x 150k = 3 billion

I hear you but the building regs require this type of upgrading. It’s not really a choice if you’re doing anything but a small extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

In my opinion, the entire mess that we're in merits thorough examination of the wheels of power and of the systems of the state that are supposed to manage this. Either by brutal incompetence or sinister intent, we're in a mess, and those responsible (politicians AND civil servants) need to face serious consequences for their failings. If this does not happen, we will face another disaster in the future.

Fair point, but you also have margin, sub contracting margin, cost of Finance, connection to services.

If housing was substantially cheaper, would the state be subsidising to the same degree, ftb grant, HAP savings,

People closer to employment centres Greater efficiencies.

If we approached housing with a focus on what's best for the economy, the country and people, we would have a very different system to what we have now and surely that is the responsibility of government.

• Advertisement

You will always have a builders margin and sub contractor margin as the only option for the government to build directly will be via contracting the work out to the private sector.

if the county councils employed builders directly then it would be a financial disaster as councillors are unable to make any decision without first getting a report from consultants as a form of insurance incase things go wrong so they don’t loose their jobs or alternatively setting up a committee to shield them. That is even before you take into account the attitude that if the government are paying that it’s a blank cheque book.

Advertisement