Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

mu main focus is to drop the reliance on pulling from the grid and when I do, to be leveraging the cheapest rate available!

Yup, good goal to have. By the way, when you say "Would look at optimisers too for final quote to ensure I’m getting the best from the panels." .... I assume you know that unless you have shading on one or two of your panels, optimizers won't actually improve performance of your array (in fact they'll very slightly reduce performance)

You should only quote for optimizers if you have a chimney or some other shading covering your panels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Morning all,

About to pull the trigger on below, based on what I have seen recommended here, I think it's pretty good?

14 PANELS 370 WATT 5.180 KW JA SOLAR TIER1

5 KW PURE DRIVE BATTERY

6 KW SOLIS HYBRID INVERTER

EDDI WATER DIVERTER 

WI FI DONGLE 

PRICE 11900 EUROS

GRANT 2400 EUROS APPLY TO SEAI

TOTAL 9500 EUROS.

Jumpa

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Shouldn't there be an additional 600 euro on the grant for the battery?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭THE ALM

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Haven't been in this thread since last year. I knew prices for everything had gone up a bit, but Jesus! Have suppliers' prices gone up as much, or is there profiteering going on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭THE ALM

definite increase in prices across the board, even getting a quote from some suppliers and they will only hold the price for seven days such is the madness at the minute.

That quote is not that bad, it's basically right up where with what I paid last year around this time, minus the battery grant I guess.

Don't forget 2.5k is the battery alone in this setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭bodgerfederer

Great thread, thanks for all the information.

My question (and apologies if i'm being stupid) -

the SEAI website gives the grants for solar PV at:

0 to 2 kWp €900/kWp 

2 to 4 kWp €300/kWp 

Given the estimates of €1000-€1100 per kwp then does it not make sense to get a very small array and have it largely paid for by the grant?

Has anyone done this? What is the least amount anyone has paid to get a bare bones system, looking to maximise grant as a proportion of total cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Most installers see the grant as free money,they still charge their normal rates on top.See Solar as a service for the cheaper option or go non grant, but be aware that prices have increased recently.

• Advertisement

Unlikely the installer will be interested in doing this as they couldn't charge as much as on a big install. And given how busy they all are after people are panic installing solar thanks to the recent events they won't even look at it probably.

I actually worked out the total of the parts myself and at that time it worked out at around 7.5k and total cost was 9k after grant, so the way I see it I paid 1.5k for the install. Not too bad for 2-3 days of work and my install was across two separate buildings as well.

Yes the installer also gets the parts for cheaper than us with that poxy 23% vat, and they get more money left over but unless you have a buddy that can do this for you (also needs to be registered with SEAI for the grant), I doubt you will find someone to work without making a profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Hi, can someone PM me details of any installers in the Meath region? Also, the Enniskillen lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Your installer also got 3,000 in grant money and made a few pound buying the materials at trade prices, he most likely made c.5-6k for a couple of days work but as you stated it was over 2 buildings and not a run of the mill job.Grant money is distorting the market, some installers are adding it on as a kind of sweetener for themselves, the customer is not seeing the benefit.

PS.I got the grant for an install last May.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 corkoniense

13 panels at 4.9kWp for €7400

Less grant of €2,400 leaves a price of 5k even.

Includes inverter and installation etc.

No battery or diverter

What doyou think?

Hi again,

I'm inclined to go with the above quote but would appreciate one last piece of advice:

I'm only going for solar pv as we've a gas combi boiler (so no point in hot water diverter) and I can't afford battery storage. I work from home two days per week (so can get domestic ekectric work done during the day) and our major electric outgoings would be washing machine, dryer, dishwasher, oven and hybrid electric car (10kw per charge gives 30km approx). Our major gas output is for hot water, heating and gas hob. Our gas bills are larger than the electric bills. Given that we use more gas than electric, is it still worth installing based on the above quote?

Or is solar pv really only worth it for houses powered solely by electricity?

The thing is, without a battery, if you are not at home when the system produces, it is simply wasted/saving the planet and then you're buying power in the evenings.

I also have my heating/hot water/showers on a combi boiler so I have a ton of excess power in summer when the battery and EV are full (no eddi), but also we are always wfh since the pandemic began so we get to use a lot of the power too.

Then if you're at home 2 days + weekends, that's four days out of seven so you could use up a lot of the power/adjust your habits.

You could ask them to install a hybrid inverter and you can add the battery at any stage down the line, this will probably add 1k to the bill.

There is talk of the feed-in-tariff coming where you get paid for excess power that goes to the grid in but don't hold your breath that the companies will do anything beneficial to the consumer, they will give with one hand and then take with two so at this stage self use/storage is the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

4.9kW is perfect for €5k. On a half decent day, a system that size will absolutely fill the car and allow your other appliances to work well too.

However, you need to be very careful, because if a cloud comes over, you are then likely pulling from the grid, at top rate. There would be a strong argument for at least a single battery because of this single fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,469 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Someone in here the other day had a quote under 1k per 1kW of panels, so there are some installers still out there not ripping people off.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭bodgerfederer

I just don't see the benefit of solar as a service in my case.

i'm paying approx €40 a month for my day time use and about the same again on the night rate because of the the EV.

so if pay €30 a month solar as a service i would need to be covering most of my day time use to make it worthwhile. possible in the summer perhaps, but even then not a given. A risk and a hassle to save €10 a month.

Now, obvs prices go up but it’s still a questionable return on investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭cloughy

But after 10 years you own the system, so all you generate and use is yours,

Thanks I'm hoping that being home 4 days from 7 will allow us to do most of the electric works via solar. The installer will allow cable for battery to be installed down the line. Just can't afford it at the moment

• Advertisement

Thanks I'm hoping that being home 4 days from 7 will allow us to do most of the electric works via solar. The installer will allow cable for battery to be installed down the line. Just can't afford it at the moment

Hadn't thought of that. At the moment i pay 10c per kwh during the night, and 21c per kwh during the day (7a.m. to 11pm). (These prices are all gonna go one way!!!)

So realistically when I'm home and the sun is shining, i can use the solar to do all the consumption heavy electrical work, but have to forgo it and use the night rate otherwise. I could see myself using dishwasher at night most often so.

Even with the eventual feed tariff, I dunno if it's worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭spose

to give you an idea of actual usage I have a 4.7kw set up and no battery or EV. Generates 38-3900kwh a year. Of that about 1800 units get used by the house. I dump a lot more then in to the water tank

• Registered Users Posts: 3 boarder123-755380

Hi Folks!

Can someone recommend a good solar company in Dublin/Meath/Louth to get a quote from?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭carbuncle

Hello all, long time lurker.

I have been looking at panels for years and now is the time to go - I have just had my flat roof re done. My house would never have made the old ber requirement but the change to grants works now (I know I still need a ber but the result is immaterial to the grant) - of course costs are also up!

my question is on opinions on east/west v due south orientation, I get conflicting answers and it’s possible somebody here may have experience.

I can easily fit around 20 panels in either config and will go for 6kW+ of panels and I am going to use console plus buckets. I suppose I could change the config of these after a time as long as I use long enough cables (cheap to replace though)

the part of the roof I will use is L shaped with the corner of the L facing due south. I can fit an equal amount of panels facing east/west (on the legs of the L as it were) or in groups of 2 all facing due south with no shading

any opinions? The buckets are 15 degrees so not ideal, most non invasive rack type mounts are 10 degrees.

I was not a real fan of batteries even with the grant but all the info on boards has given me the confidence to go for a home build later in the year but a hybrid solis 6kW inverter is around €800 more than a non hybrid version. is there a sensible way to use non hybrid inverters and a battery pack (for load shifting, 10kWh) even if it means having two separate sets of panels (I can fit extra panels) ?

I have no confidence in a sensible fit anytime soon.

I also fitted a zappi back in 2019 and can send excess to my car. I never really thought the savings were worth it but it’s getting more attractive as electricity prices go up - and I only paid €580 for my zappi and €200 for fitting . My brother just got a leaf and managed to put 30kWh to the car a couple of weeks ago from his 4kW system over the weekend with no special effort - only a €3 saving on nightrate but it is over 150km of free driving if you look at it like that. around €600 post grant install but he only needs about 20 such charges per week to be in credit.

Thanks for any info.

Ot sure how to quote yet but a comment above mentioned clouds when charging cars from solar.

I mentioned the same to my brother who just installed a zappi - anyone with solar will notice here in Ireland some frequent fast swings In Generation with clouds (as he has).

I mentioned that frequent switching charging on/off may not be good for contacters in the zappi or for the car - I don’t really know!

the way the zappi works is that most cars need 1,400w to start charging but will charge as low as 300 or 400w when in progress, I think he said he has seen 300w going to his leaf - that’s maybe very little after losses.

there is a timer in the zappi that you set that says it will need I think up to 40 seconds of continuous 1,400w before it starts to charge the car - this will reduce the number of start/stops in succession when cloudy. He says Uk users seem to use 30 seconds, he has set his to 15 for the time being

also you can set the zappi to use a % of mains to start the charge - he has this set to 400w. Over the last month it works as described - will start the charge if there is 1,000w excess using 400w from the mains for a few seconds (as the car starts to take the charge) and then drop to only using the solar excess.

he also has a small battery so the system will take the 400w to start the charge from the battery but this is only for a few seconds

His small battery does not get drained by the car - just a few bursts of 400w to start the charge process

his small pylontech is also set not to discharge until after 8am so it is never used to charge the car - not sure if this is a solis inverter or pylontech setting

i Can check with him if anybody has any questions

thanks to boards we will probably be building a pair of 10kWh batteries later in the year - one each

My comment re payback for solar charging waS out by a factor of 10, you would need to get 30kWh per week for 200 weeks to cover the net cost of a zappi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭cloughy

just had a visit from a company with the following quote

6 panels (reckons only 3 panels will fit on each of the E/W roof, south already has solar tubes)

6 x 405w panels

No battery

normal inverter (not hybrid)

no water diverter (not needed due to solar thermal)

Gross cost €6,795

Grant €1,920

Net cost €4,875

I know there are economies of scale, so the cost of getting the lads onto the roof is the same whether fitting 6 or 12 panels, but I was not ready for the above cost, so will have to wait for further quotes, have €4,400 net for 2.6kWp system (7 longi Solar panels), with micro inverter, or €6,865 net for 3.2kWp system (8 Hyundai panels) with Huawai battery ready inverter

The Solar as a service 8 panels for €30 a month, anyone got them and what size are the panels ?

Any thoughts/comments ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement