Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with neighbour

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,386 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

jesus, its not as if you havent been trying everything, these are incredible difficult living conditions for all, im completely lost for solutions, only you have my sympathies, hopefully boards can come up with some sort of solutions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

this is actually really sad for all concerned, Imagine how the persons family are coping living in the same house as their ill child, i would tread very carefully before confronting the neighbours. Op could you rent your house and move somewhere else ? I can't see another way around it for you. Good luck anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭jolivmmx

look to get a sound engineer’s report on the level of noise disturbance

how long has this been going on for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭ahappychappy

Unfortunately I dont see how their family can help. They cant section them that requires medical staff and I assume if they are released from hospital they dont make the necessary criteria. What a joke of mental health services that someone is obviously very distressed and needs professional help is let go home and torture themselves and others.

In your position I would on balance look to move - I know you should not have to but I dont see how anyone will be able to solve this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

What would the point of a sound engineers report be? It would not help the situation whatsoever. The noise is only a side issue here. The main issue is the neighbour with what would appear to be a severe mental health problem and both they and their partner are refusing to engage with mental health services properly. It seems that help has been offered but it has not been taken up.

I was thinking could the gardai & a doctor recommend an involuntary admission under the mental health act, but that could only be done where the person is an immediate danger to themselves or someone else - that does not seem to be the case here so that is not going to be an option.

Could you get on to your local Community Healthcare Officer to seek advice and to see if a welfare check of the house could be arranged? They often deal with cases with elderly people who are suffering neglect or abuse and need an outside intervention.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

OPs issue is not the mental health, it's the noise.

And the source of the noise is a mental health issue.

A sound engineers report will not help the situation beyond confirming that there is noise.

sound engineer is a waste of time it's not going to fix any issues, op if you cant sell the only other option i think is make the room as far away from the detached house your new living room, or even build an extension or a small log cabin in the back garden fully detached, till the neighbour either moves or dies. It's a shocking indictment on the health services in ireland but i know how bad they are and its never in the news, but if there's a trans story or a race story its all over the papers. Much more in vogue problems in todays ireland.

• Advertisement

what if the op is already up to their eyeballs in debt and barely getting things over the line as is?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Xander10

Sounds horrendous. Maybe moving is the best option.

nothing else you can do then that i can think of anyway, nightmare of a situation for all concerned

Is it possible that the hospital the person is being taken to is a A&E or acute type of facility where they just do enough to settle them there and then and don't actually refer them on for proper longer term care. In my experience A&E is just that, they patch you up in a time of crisis and once you are not about to croak it there and then they are not too bothered and send you away again and you are on your own.

I think you should get on to your CHO and hound them until they come out and do a welfare check on the neighbour. This is their job. They do welfare checks on elderly and vulnerable in the community. It certainly sounds like this neighbour is vulnerable as their partner clearly isn't get pro-active and seems to be against them getting proper care. That sort of willful neglect could be seen as abuse. Or they may be so stressed and overwhelmed themselves that they can't see how serious things are with the mentally ill partner.

I think the CHO for a welfare check is the way to go.

Sound engineers! Enough with that nonsense. What next? Calling an architect to fix a broken ankle?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Tanta51

Ta

Post edited by Tanta51 on

Scream back?

Ta

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

Of course you can talk to them. Go over and ask wtf is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

You know nothing about their situation, as you admittedly haven't talked to them. How can you say the family are doing nothing to deal with this? As bad as it is for you next door, the family (and the person themselves) have to face this inescapable situation day in day out, which is bad enough without you calling the Gardaí on them having never talked to them to know if it's warranted or not.

Have a chat, emphathise, explain that you can hear it without asking that they stop it as it's likely not possible. There may be something they can do, maybe close the windows while it's happening, swap rooms, maybe add soundproofing at an extreme (there may be grants available) but don't expect them to immediately act. In all likelyhood if there was something they could do they would already be doing it.

It's likely this situation won't go away completely and you can't force them to do anything so unfortunately you have to consider your options from that perspective. Reconsider the soundproofing on your side for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

Is there some kind of government agency that’s responsible for people with disabilities, similar to what Tusla does for children? This person is obviously not getting adequate care. They need to be in an environment where their needs are met. You could try speaking to citizens information to find out what services there are?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,390 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Everything they can isn’t good enough though, this is a major problem for the OP

its not acceptable, because person A has a mental health issue, person B should potentially end up with one too ?

contact the Gardai, it’s unlikely they can do much but their advice would be valuable in this scenario.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

These threads always make me wonder with some of the extreme or outrageous suggestions.

OP your first step is to speak to your neighbour in a non confrontation manner. Let them know there’s a lot of noise. Obliviously be empathic but you are entitled to a reasonably peaceful existence where you live.

Do this before you do anything else.

very likely all living in the house are now struggling with mental health issues, logic probably wont work in this situation, but its worth a try

Op, i will reiterate - you should contact the local CHO and ask them to carry out a welfare check. But as we all know HSE services are under resourced so you'd need to get it up on their priority list which basically means hounding them until it is easier for them to just go and do a welfare check than to listen to your constant hounding of them to do so. You could even get a local councillor or TD to make a representation to the CHO on your behalf to aid your case.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

This shouldn’t be done until the OP speaks with the neighbour first

• Registered Users Posts: 40,425 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Other neighbours have already spoken with the neighbours children. Contacting the CHO is a good next step.

Exactly. A person being looked after and is healthy and not a risk to themselves or others will not cause any alarms on a welfare check. I have personal experience of a family member in a near identical situation and it's an absolutely s**t situation to be in for all concerned, the person, family and likely neighbours but ultimately and unfortunately there aren't a lot of options. The family and person may feel the best place for them to receive care is at home, rather than drugged and hidden away from society in some care home. The person's welfare will be the priority and that might come at a cost to the neighbours as terrible as that may be.

They can't be forced to remove the person from the home or force any particular treatment once they are not at risk, the Gardaí have no business being involved and would probably escalate the situation, a TD is not going to involve themselves in trying to extract someone from their home to appease a neighbour, any request for assistance will have to come from the family themselves. The best you can do is to engage with the family and see if you can offer support.

I wouldn't ring the doorbell during an event. The last thing you want while trying to deal with that kind of situation is neighbours rocking up. Absolutely have a conversation during a quiet time when there's less stress all round.

• Advertisement

Ta

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement