Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man! I feel like a runner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Best of luck avoiding the plague. From my and many family members very recent/current experience of the most recent strain the antigens only show up positive about 2-3 days AFTER the symptoms start so if you are feeling well by the latter part of the week then that bodes really well for you. Hopefully you have some immunity from your last bout and it won't be an issue for you. It's a royal pain that we can't plan anything these days without this anxiety 😏 Do any of those compeed plasters work for the blisters?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Yeah, I've used compeed before alright and it worked, but these blisters have been so big the compeed ones I had wouldn't cover them 🤢 Sorry for the visuals!

Mon 28th March

Just an evening walk with my friend and her new rescue dog, who I can only describe as the dog version of me – terrified of humans!

Tues 29th

Strength class in the morning. I was keeping it to just this one session this week, wanted to keep the quads and glutes from feeling too heavy later in the week.

Evening run, I didn’t head to the speed work in UCD but instead did the easy miles option with other club members, but with an added 2 x 1km at HMP(ish) with another Berlin entrant. Came in at 8.27 and 8.45 pace (one mostly downhill and the other with uphill). My legs felt great, full of energy. All good. 4 miles for the evening.

Weds 30th

Rest. Started packing.

Thurs 31st

Lunch run around Marlay, 4 miles at 9.37/m average. Felt good! 

Fri 1st

Travel to Berlin day. Got to the airport in good time, but was kindly assisted at security by the wonderful @skyblue46 ! Very lovely of him, and I was able to relax and bumped into some of the Marlay parkrunners heading over, everyone in great form. Landed in Berlin, more queueing for train tickets until we realised there is a very handy app for getting them! Met the Craughwell AC gang (including my brother) and headed into the city. Dumped the bags and went on to the expo – as of the 1st April the requirement for rapid antigens and checking vaccine status was no more!! Typical after all the stress! – to collect the number, chip, race tee, then FINALLY got some food. Went to Germany to have Korean food for lunch followed by a scone… but it worked! Lazy evening around the hotel then.

Sat 2nd  

Went out for a shakeout run with my brother and one of his clubmates. Figured it would be nice to head up to the Brandenburg Gate for a gawk. The weather was quite cold over there, much colder than we’ve been having here, and there was a wind about that day. 3.4 miles at 9.53/m average. Was glad I did that run, had been feeling stiff after all the going the day before, so was good to remind myself that my legs could still run. Didn’t get up to too much that day, wandered and had some apfelstrudel and about 10 cups of tea!

Sun 3rd – RACE DAY (sorry this is a bit ramble-y and not of the same standard as other race reporters 🤣 )

I had 1.50 in my head as a target, which is about 8.25 per mile. I wasn’t sure what I could realistically target but that seemed about manageable. I figured I could keep to that until halfway, and then it would be a hang on or push on job depending on how fit I actually am. Thankfully I had entered the Cambridge HM time from March 2020 and ended up in the appropriate wave. Some of my clubmates weren’t as lucky and somehow ended up in the last and second-to-last waves and had to pass walkers.

Up in good time for breakfast, take a few photos with the various groups and get to the start area and bag drops with no panic. I kept the extra layers on until about 30 mins before start time, dropped the bag in then jogged around and did some drills, last minute toilet break en route to the start line. I kept a baselayer on under the club singlet, it was still about -1 degree as we were leaving the hotel and I didn’t know if that wind would return. It was also not as if I was going to be running that fast to stay warm!

The race is very well organised actually, plenty of portaloos everywhere and signs for the various waves.

Miles 1-3

I was in the start area only about 6 or 7 mins before start time which was perfect. They moved us up towards the start line, and the music was blaring. I had zero nerves, just pure excitement at this point! I had no plan to run with anyone else, was happy to just run my own race. There was a very wide start area in the park behind the Brandenburg gate, so after the count down everyone was off with no shuffle start. We were straight into running. I made a very sudden decision at the start to switch my watch face to the Lap display with the intention that I would just keep running the mile I was in (worked very well for me, will use again). I kept to the edge so I wouldn’t get caught up in other people’s paces and focused on keeping the first mile to 8.25 pace. Looking back, this was a mistake, as I ended up with verrrry wide lines for a good chunk of the first 5 miles which I would later curse but anyway, nothing to be done now.

I don’t remember too much about the first few miles, they all came in at 8.25 and 8.23 pace and seemed to fly by. I know I ran through the first water stop not needing any. The sun was coming in and out and was warm enough, but not unbearably so, even with a baselayer.

Miles 4-6

I kept mile 4 the same pace too, 8.25 and was feeling so good. It honestly felt like such a lovely pace. The crowds were plenty, and random people shouting my name off my bib was a rush. There were bands throughout on the course too, and as usual with those I had to keep my pace in check. I was passing people and being passed at the same time so I mostly just ignored everyone around me. I started to naturally pick up the pace through miles 5 and 6 and although I knew it could come back to haunt me, I just let it happen because I was having too much fun. Took a gel at 5 miles as planned – I felt fine but I remembered I took it at mile 6 in Cambridge and felt that was a little late. Took some water around mile 6. Miles 5 and 6 were 8.15 and 8.12.

Miles 7-9

I was really having to hold myself back here, the crowds around Checkpoint Charlie were electric, the route was fast (mostly flat but there had been a couple of very slight drags and along here we the downward part of these), so I just let the legs run as they wanted (although after seeing mile 8 flash up at 7.47 I had to tell myself to cop on a bit). I was getting warm enough and started thinking I’d bring the second gel forward to 9.5 rather than 10 miles. Mile 9 came in at 8.08. Shortly after, there was a Maurtens gel station and I had read on here plenty of times that those are supposed to be great so I grabbed one. Opened it and took a … BITE? It was pure gloop!! Spat it out and threw into a bin. Rotten. I was glad of a water station shortly after to rinse my mouth out!

Miles 10-12

Took the usual hi5 gel at 9.5 miles, and was still enjoying myself. It was getting hard now but that’s how a half marathon should feel at this point. I was delighted that I was able to keep pulling the pace back from that original 8.25 target. After several long straights, the twisty part of the course was definitely the last few miles. I was still running the mile I was in at any given moment, so I can’t remember much about these miles. I know I passed the hotel I had stayed in on my last trip to Berlin and was able to get my bearings a bit then. These miles came in at 8.14, 8.12, 8.15. It was during mile 12 that I realised I was going to be running a bit extra.. the km markers weren’t adding up to how much I thought I should have left. However, my maths abilities were very poor at this point so I wasn’t totally sure.

Mile 13, plus 0.55 miles.

When you pass the 20km marker and your watch is at 12.85 miles you know you have to ignore the watch and just run. There were a few who had started walking and I just had to ignore them. Mile 13 was 8.04 (my second fastest mile in the race) and my 0.55 miles were at 7.55 pace. I was tired but I truly believe it is at this point that the strength work comes into play. There was still power in those legs and I knew I could trust them. There was never a hint of a blow-up. The finish line was just after we ran under the Brandenburg gate and I was through in 1.51. IF I had only ran the 13.1 my watch says approx. 1.48.

Look, that’s not a PB anyway so I don’t care too much, just a bit annoyed that I ran silly. My average pace was 8.13/m which is well ahead of how I thought I could realistically do. I can safely say I enjoyed pretty much every step, and if I could bottle how I felt in those middle miles… that strong feeling and remembering why you run.. can’t beat it! Delighted with the whole experience, and feeling positive for the year ahead.

Found some of the crew eventually after the finish line (funny how you go from running a nice pace to a wonky wobble so quickly!) and had the first pint of the day – straight to my head! My brother beat his 10 year PB, a lovely 1.38 for him. Was also delighted for him! There were a few PBs around , incl. some people breaking 2 hours for the first time! There was a bierhaus booked for the evening which was rowdy enough, but well earned by all 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Great report V ! It's nice to sometimes run races without feeling under pressure to achieve something. I laughed when I read about the Maurtens. It seems you forgot an old Novices mantra, "Don't try anything new on race day" 😁 Glad you enjoyed the bierhaus afterwards. Well deserved indeed. Prost ! 🍻

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Brilliant run..Very well done! That's a very well executed half.

Think you're being a bit hard on yourself with the racing line. Is it possible some of it is GPS inaccuracy? Did most of your buddies show as 13.1 on the button?

One thing I'm curious about given my lack of experience at gels - the gel at mile 9.5. Is that enough time for it to do anything for you given you were due to finish roughly 25mins later?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Great read V & great race, sounds like you enjoyed it which is always a good thing! Well deserved celebrations afterwards 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Super stuff, really enjoyed that entertaining account!

Don't beat yourself up over the distance, I think it's almost impossible to run a tight line at big events like that. That's what pace bands are all about, coordinated with km markers and elapsed time.

And you get used to those Maurten gels. Impressed they were giving them away, they're pretty pricy!

Thanks! Most people were around the 13.2 or so, I was definitely the most out! Ah I hope it's not coming across as being hard on myself, just a lesson being learned to maybe think about these things in future.

Re the gel, honestly I don't know. It could have been psychological even, and I'll take any boost I can get towards the end of a race. I know I had a conversation I'd had with a clubmate the day before in my head, where he said he always makes the mistake of thinking he doesn't need anything around mile 10 and then bonks towards the finish.

Thanks! I know.. I did think that but also thought how different can each gel be?! I now know 🤮

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Bierhaus - not up on the lingo of this at all.

Great racing and report.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Great report on a very strong race V. The strength and confidence on display bode very well for the future. Great to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

What a super report! You can feel the enjoyment of the day, well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Well done and a great race report to add to it :-)

Loved reading your report, thanks for sharing. Well done on a great run, I know you're not back at PB level but you are certainly well on the way now, there is a strength there and good things to come.

Would you recommend Berlin for a girls running weekend?

Thanks! Yes, would definitely recommend for any sort of weekend tbh, great city! The HM is a great event, very well organised and FLAT. Would happily run it again. I know the weather last weekend was quite cold (but honestly perfect for running), but some people in the club had run it in 2019 also when there was a freak heatwave so I suppose the weather is the biggest variable - though when is it not says you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Wottle

Loved reading that, massively deserved and doing it in style. Enjoy the post race high and looking forward to seeing you kick on 💪

Are you planning on tackling the marathon this year?

Looks like a possible plan for sub 4, though this early in the year hitting circa 1.50; you could look at 3.50.

Nice read by the way, you were cruising and loving it.

How did you find the German food, I absolutely hated it but a beautiful country all the same.

Thanks! Well done yourself on the 5k effort at the weekend, you're flying it!

Ha.. yes I have an entry for DCM. I will likely train for it alright but aim to tell myself to just run it and enjoy it, and not run for a time. I ran Limerick in 2018 and fell apart halfway (was on track for the sub-4 then.. there was a lot going on so I won't be too hard on myself) and then DNF'd Dublin later that year with tummy issues. So I would just like to enjoy a marathon and be done with the damn thing!! Ah we didn't go for too much traditional German food apart from at the beer place and by that point didn't much care what we were eating 😉

Thanks to all for the kind and encouraging comments here and on Strava, sound bunch as usual!

I took this week as a recovery week for the most part. Legs were certainly feeling tired but nothing that wasn’t unexpected. Left calf was making itself known but a bit of foam rolling has helped and the usual calf stretches.

Tues 5th Apr - into strength class as usual! Thought it would be a good stretch for the body and it was.

Evening easy miles, avoided the speed work in UCD and met the others doing the same in Marlay. 4.5 miles at 9.55/m average. Tired but good to flush the legs out a bit.

Weds 6th - Rest

Thurs 7th - Over to Marlay again in the evening. Short run planned as several clubmates were due to run National 10k on Saturday, but I did end up running with the faster people.. that said I mostly managed to stay chatting so nothing too wild! About 4.5 miles again, mostly at 9.10/m ish.

Fri 8th - S&C class.

Sat 9th - Headed over to parkrun. 1.6 miles w/up at 9.44/m. Legs felt tired still but thought I might try run it as a progression run. 8.56, 8.33, 8.13. Felt harder than the half last weekend! Lovely morning for it. Short jog home before an afternoon of visiting.

Sun 10th - Very small 8am crew this morning! Stayed within the park as we were just going to run as long as we felt good. 6 miles at 9.49/m. Legs felt heavy enough starting out but had loosened out by the end. I wore the HRM again out of curiosity, avg HR 144 so I’m happy with that. Going to try get back in the habit of wearing it.

Handy 21 mile week.

Couple of weeks to catch up on.

11th - 17th April

Mon 11th - just 15 mins mobility work.

Tues 12th - Morning strength class. First time trying pull-ups. They were beyond difficult!!

Evening session, back at UCD this week. Session was 3k at HMP, 1500m at 5k pace, and 3k at HMP. I wasn't going to go too hard as my legs were still feeling tired enough, but managed the 1st 3k alright (about 8.10 pace), the 1500m at 7.31/m, but stopped after 1500m in the last HMP section, legs were bunched and form was getting sloppy so nothing to be gained (8.13/m). Cool down and warm-up meant brought it to just under 6 miles for the evening.

Weds 13th - Serious DOMS from the strength class. 15 mins mobility and a walk were enough!

Thurs 14th - Still major DOMS! Easy evening miles, 5.5 at 9.31/m. Felt better afterwards.

Fri 15th - Morning S&C, felt a lot better for this but didn't go too heavy on some of the exercises. Easy lunchtime run, 5k at 9.55/m.

Sat 16th - Stopped off at Kilcock parkrun on my way to Offaly, short warm-up and thought I would be taking it very easy but got into a nice pace from the start. Faded a bit after the turn and we were into the wind (though really it wasn't much). A woman passed me and I was letting her go, but then told myself to stop being a wuss and picked it back up again and got past her. Finished in 24.29. Lovely parkrun there.

Sun 17th - After an evening of wine on Saturday, I wasn't sure what I would run this day. Eventually headed out in the evening and decided to head up Kilmashogue lane just to remind myself of hills before Connemara. I had only planned to go as far as the car park, but I was enjoying myself too much so sent my live location to a couple of friends on whatsapp and headed on up to Fairy Castle solo. A few hikers out that side, but plenty more on the way down through Ticknock. Lovely evening, plenty of little walk stops on the steep parts but still so enjoyable. 7.4 miles at 10.46/m average.

25.6 miles for the week.

18th - 24th April

I was on leave for the week with lots of driving and visits planned so I was only ever going to squeeze in running where possible. Then the addition of a lovely headcold (not covid!) put the effort of squeezing in runs on the backburner! So nothing from Mon- Weds.

I was down in my sisters in Carrigaline for most of the week (quest to be the favourite aunt continues), so I decided to try a run Thursday evening along the Crosshaven greenway. Her husband was going to the Ballintotis 4 mile race later on and I did consider that, but given Connemara at the weekend decided against it. So 6 miles along the flat, sunny greenway was perfect! 8.56/m which was a little fast but legs were feeling fresher and I had a nice wind behind me on the way back.

Fri 22nd - drove on up to Clifden, with a stop off in Galway city for lunch and a browse in the shops. Beautiful drive in that weather. Stretched the legs when I arrived along Beach road which I spotted on Google maps, before my friend arrived. 5k at 9.26/m. Nice few drinks that night 😃

Sat 23rd - sightseeing around Connemara. I mean, it looks incredible in the sunshine. There was a good breeze all weekend so there was a chill in areas but anywhere with shelter was scorchio. Went to Kylemore Abbey, well worth the entrance fee! I'd say we were the only non-Americans though 😜 Few afternoon drinks sitting in the sunshine in Clifden, before I switched to water for the evening.

Sun 24th - Connemara Half Marathon.

I was only ever going to take this handy, but with the bunged-up-ness of the cold, as well as the unexpected warm weather, that was even more the case. But that meant zero nerves and just pure enjoyment! I had been warned by my Cork bro-in-law that there is a good bit of waiting around when you are bussed to the start-line, so I had my book to read in the sun and a banana to top up the fuel for the midday start. Bumped into Wubble Wubble for a nice chat before getting the layers off, suncream on and ditching the bag (just in the nick of time as it turned out).

I had only examined the course profile on the bus out (honestly my preparation was a bit too laid-back really), so I knew there was an early long hill, and then the 'Hell of the West' around 10 miles in. I just ran by feel for the most part, and took in the views and the people around me. There were a lot of European clubs over, mostly French and Italian. Hope they don't go telling everyone the west of Ireland gets amazing weather - suspect they would get a shock if they come any other year! I missed the water at the first station as someone behind started shouting at everyone 'DON'T STOP, DON'T STOP' , and I stupidly thought it must not be a station for the half people.. so it was a long way to the 6 mile station then. No harm done anyway I think, as I wasn't going too hard (9.41, 9.32, 8.42, 8.51, 9.00, 9.13). Was struggling with breathing because of the blocked nose a few times, so it was the reminder to keep it handy.

While the middle miles aren't overly hilly, they also don't seem to have much reprieve, plenty of drags but not much downhill, or so it seemed. Had a little walk break at the water station and took some snaps of the scenery. Ran on then to the next water station at 9 miles, which also had lucozade sport. Sure I took all of it and again took a little walk and photography time. (11.23, 9.21, 11.05). Another half a mile on and the start of the main big hill arrives. I had already decided I would walk a bit, run a bit, walk a bit etc etc (text my friend requesting sparkling water at the finish!). It's not that it's particularly steep at any point, it just goes on for about a mile and a half! Not completely unlike the runs I would do up to Hellfire etc but I suppose they are never at mile 10. Anyway, the scenery is just spectacular. Was fairly warm by this stage too. Hit the top at 11 miles and another (much needed) water station (9.56, 14.26). Nice downhill / flat to the finish then and just stuck the head down to get home. (9.53, 9.05 and 8.21/m pace for the last bit). Finish time was 2.12. I had said anything between 2 and 2.15 would be reasonable for the efforts so nicely judged!

That's the box ticked for Connemara anyway, absolutely enjoyed it but not sure I would rush to do it again. Maybe if there was a big gang going to run it or something. I don't know how people manage to run the times they do on it, and as for the full and ultra people - jaysus! It's pretty humbling to have the ultra lads pass you on their 35th mile and you're struggling through mile 7 or 8!

22.4 miles for the week.

Back to normal this week (if this cold ever goes), and the next race is Dunshaughlin 10k in June. Not sure if I want to run a 5k or 10k in May.. I feel like I need to remind myself how to run a 10k before a proper effort in Dunshaughlin. Anyone know of any in or near Dublin at the end of May?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Great run in Berlin!

It sounds like you picked a good day to take Connemara easy too given the wind. That still remains my only half marathon race (about 15 years ago now) but I still remember it fondly despite suffering on those hills.

• Advertisement

25th Apr - 1st May

Not a huge amount of running between one thing and another.

25th - Nothing

26th - Morning strength class.

Evening session in UCD - felt really good for this. One of those rare evenings! The session was the ‘hilly loop’ round the Fosters Ave side, run that for 20 mins, no recovery on the lap. For the first time ever, I managed 3 laps before the fast lads (2.30/40 marathoners last month!) lapped me. Other weeks it was before I even got to the end of lap 2, so I call that progress. I actually looked back to the first night we used that loop, which was Nov last year and I’m running it over a minute quicker now. Mainly though, I felt really strong. We finished the session with 6 x ~160m hill reps. Killer. I did them all in about 38/39 seconds. Was shouted at to ‘close the gap’ to the lad ahead of me on rep 4, which I did, but god I felt like death then 😅 With w-up and c-down, about 7.5 miles for the evening.

27th - Nothing

28th - Easy club miles, 5.5m at 9.22/m. Still pretty bunged up from the headcold - though starting to wonder was it more pollen in the air or something.

29th - morning strength class.

30th - Club session in St. Enda’s. 3 x 30s, 3 x 45s, 3 x 60s and 3 x 75s. Killer. Some uphill, some downhill. Found the bunged-up-ness really affects breathing for those hard efforts. About 4.4 miles for the morning.

1st May - didn’t get a chance to get out for a run. Wasn’t much bothered by that!

2nd - 8th May

2nd - didn’t bother try make up for Sunday’s missed run, but had a nice walk up to Fairy Castle with my sister.

3rd - Morning strength class.

Evening session in UCD. This week, we had thought it was 4 x 1500m at 10k pace, but when we turned up it was apparently at 5k pace (off 2.5 mins)! I was not psychologically prepared for that 🙃 Anywho, the usual warm-up and drills, then into the session. I had wanted to find a loo before we started but didn’t manage to and thought I could ignore it. Paced myself for the first lap badly enough, one of the tri-club lads was behind me until about halfway and then lost me a bit (7.10 for the 1500). We started the 2nd lap together (Gary likes to keep group starts so people can work with each other) and I commented that he had paced better and I was going to try follow his lead this time. Again, he lost me at the little downhill bit but I stayed closer to him (7.03). At this point however, I was in bad need for the loo so had to duck into the sports centre - and missed lap 3 as a result. Waited for my group to return and set off on (my) lap 3. I managed to stick with the tri-club guy this time, and in fairness he pushed me on at the end for a nice 6.52 lap. It felt really hard, cos no way is that my current 5k pace, but it felt good to be able to run those laps. Just under 5 miles for the evening.

4th - Short evening run after conferencing all day in the convention centre. 3.1 miles at 9.51/m.

5th - More conferencing and networking - and then boozing with an old work colleague. Yikes. Not used to the ‘sesh’.

6th - had wisely cancelled my usual Friday strength class. Thank god for being able to work from home is all I’ll say!

7th - a Saturday morning strength class instead, followed by the session in St. Enda’s. I thought my legs might be dead, but actually well warmed up? Interesting. The session was originally 4 min tempo, 4 x 1 min hard - twice, all off 1 min but Maria added another 4 min tempo after the second set of 1 mins. If I was on my own, no way would I have pushed myself to that 3rd 4 min tempo but funny what you can actually do! The tempo bits came in at 7.31, 7.49 and 7.42. The 1 min hard bits were varied considering some were uphill and some downhill. All on very wet grass which didn’t help. I’m still finding my nose and throat are a bit blocked, so clearly something in the air? 5.2 miles for the morning.

8th - Run from Marlay to just past the car park at Hellfire. Glorious morning, can’t ask for nicer to run in. 9 miles at 10.24/m avg. Grand job.

Have more conferencing this week in the RDS, so will be shuffling things around but should get enough running in. Have signed up for the Irish Runner 5k in Phoenix Park next Sunday, a few from the club are doing it. Don’t think it’s a flat course though 🙄

Good luck on Sunday. That 5k course looks familiar. 😉 Not flat but you've put in plenty of work and hills - those UCD sessions should stand to you. All the best!

Mon 9th May - Morning S&C. Different day than usual so different trainer and yikes he wasn’t generous with recovery time!

Tues 10th May - Out early to do the club session solo. Didn’t have much excitement for this, but pleasantly surprised afterwards to have gotten it done pretty well and no drama, no extra recoveries! 3k at 10k pace (14:43, so avg 7.54 pace), 1500 at 7.26 pace (supposedly 5k pace) and 500m at 6.59 pace - aka 3k pace. All off 2.5 mins. Nice session when I look back on it… 5.2 miles for the morning.

Was at Moving Hearts gig that evening, just fantastic!!!

Weds 11th May - Nothing, was tired (and lazy) after the late night.

Thurs 12th - Short club session pre-Irish Runner 5k. Easy miles and 6 x 200m strides. 4.6 miles at avg 10.06/m.

Then I managed to hurt myself AFTER training - slid into the shower and absolutely walloped my left shin out of it. I honestly thought I had dented it and a bruise/ red blotch came up immediately. Dr google advised to ice it etc, so I did that, but knowing I have tender shins from time to time I was honestly terrified of stress fractures and the like! Nice little bump on it eventually.

Fri 13th - Still went along to S&C, but avoided any single leg stuff on the left leg. Had hoped to get more easy miles in but thought rest was the better option.

Sat 14th - Was down to Galway for a communion so got nothing done. Shin still fairly sore.

Sun 15th - Irish Runner 5k

Early start again over to the Phoenix Park and parked up at the Papal Cross. I needed to collect my number so thought it was a good chance to test the leg. A little aware of the shin but not enough to stop me running, damn now I need to run a 5k race 🤣 Met my clubmates who were running for a chat and a short warm-up. I set my target as 23:59 for the little club league we have going, and another newish club member had a similar goal and said she would stick with me.

At the start line, I realised I’d done nothing to check what 24 min pace is so decided on 7.30 in my head. As part of the national champs, we got to start in the first corral (felt sorry for the quick non-club members coming behind me!). As usual, everyone took off, including my clubmate S who had said she’d stick with me, but I settled down to 7.25/7.30 pace and stayed with it. 1st km passed by very quickly just after turning off Chesterfield, and I was feeling good. Coming up to the 2km mark, a Raheny runner had had a bad fall, blood streaming down her face as stewards ran to her aid. She looked shook too, as you would be I suppose. Hopefully she is ok. Mile 1 came in at 7.25.

Nice bit of downhill coming around mile 2(which was the only bit my shin didn’t particularly like), as we headed right at the end of Ordnance Survey road to hit the Furry Glen section. I was still keeping pace, and catching up on S who had started to slow a little. I caught her on the uphill part and slowly went past her. They are not the worst hills but they were slowing me, and I was feeling it in the legs. Hit Mile 2 in 7.26, but when we hit the Upper Glen road my legs just fell zapped. I hadn’t given up, they just wouldn’t move as quick as they had been! With about 1km to go, S caught me and passed me as I told her my legs were done.. but slowly they started to wake up again and I pushed a little to keep her in my sights.

As we were getting close to half a km to go, I started to think back to Tuesday’s session and how I’d done the last 500m rep in just over 2 mins. Told myself to push to do that again and I could hit today’s target. Looked at the watch, 500m to go, picked it up. Passed S again with about 300 to go, trying to beckon her to come with me (couldn’t speak, I was wheezing) and just kept my eyes on the finish line - Furze road is a cruel finish line, literally goes on forever! 23.55 for chip time 😄 Just about got in there! Still a way off my PB but we’re on the right track and that’s enough for me right now.

A couple of PBs in the club, lots of smiling faces after the race. And my shin was fine!

Nice racing, well done!

Well done V, great racing, you didn't give up the fight at any point.

I'm inspired by your patient return to fitness.

Nice race V - great to be back in the mix isnt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Well done V, 5ks are so bloody tough🤣 Nice to see you progessing well.

Thanks for the comments. I'll be honest though, the more I thought about it, the more I thought I'd be back to running quicker ... I don't think I'm patient, more 'resigned' to the fact it seems to be slow progress for me.

Had hoped to get more miles in than I did this week, but sadly not.

Mon 16th May - Easy evening miles. Felt like I needed to shake out the legs after the 5k, nice break in the middle of it to have a chat with@Wottle . 3.1m at 9.35/m.

Tues 17th - Morning strength class.

The club advice was to not do the speedwork if you'd raced on the Sunday.. I thought my legs were feeling fine but figured what's the point in pushing things so stuck with the advised easy miles. About 5.8 miles at 9.44/m.

Weds 18th - Nothing

Thurs 19th - Easy miles with the club plus strides. 6.7 miles at avg 9.37/m (that's including the 6 x 80m strides). Nice big group out for the run on a fabulous evening.

Fri 20th - Morning S&C class.

Given I was off to Limerick for a hen the next morning, I decided to attempt the Saturday session on my own Friday evening. On paper it looked grand - 5 x 1 min, 5x 45s, 5 x 30s,all off 1 min. In reality, torture! Both my shins have been a bit tender so I did the session on the grass of the concert field in Marlay. Lovely evening, and managed to get it done anyway. Hard to know if the paces on the Garmin are correct for such short distances but seemed pretty consistent across the reps so I'm happy enough. About 4.6 miles total for the evening.

Sat 21st / Sun 22nd - train down and back to Limerick.. I could have headed out for a few miles Sunday evening but after wearing heels the night before, my right shin was really not happy with me so I stuck to googling stretches to help it out. Seems a bit better today. I've often had tender shins before and they calm down, but this seemed worse yesterday than usual but I'm not overly worried this morning.

How did the Treaty county treat you? Where did ye head?

I'm so out of the loop on the Limerick social scene these days - bars seems to be filled by people who look like they just completed the junior cert 😂. Or I'm just old.

• Advertisement

Well it was all organised by some hen company and they seemed to send us to a place i probably wouldn't pick myself i.e. you wouldn't want to be caught looking sideways at anyone 🤣 It was down around the shopping area? I don't really know Limerick.. my friend was pointing out all the streets I ran on in the marathon in 2018 and I have zero recollection!

And yes, there we all were feeling young again and delighted to be out when a couple of young lads who definitely must have been underage drinking started chanting MILFs at us 😂😂😂 talk about bursting our bubble

Advertisement