Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Field east

the the Irish government have for years adapted the following strategy re overseas representation / embassy policy. In some countries where it has no embassy , the british embassy normally handled any Irish business. Eg Irish citizens with a passport issue . In other cases where the Irish gov has no ambassador it would accredite that country to a next door country with an Irish ambassador

A SUGGESTION. Since all EU/ sanction supporting countries should have almost zilch business with RU ,and vice -versa, and therefor no need for reciprocal embassies, close them all down BUT keep one open or let a section of the EU act / play / provide the embassy roll on behalf of all the closed down embassies - . The strategy need not be binding so as to avoid splits.

since the Iron Curtain is going to be in place for the next 5/10 years or so there will be no point in having a fully staffed or minimally staffed embassy since there will be little or no business being transacted. Whatever bit there is can be handled thru the ‘EU embassy’.

The above suggestion would be another significant addition to list of sanctions.

it would kill stone dead all the RU espionage going on.

An ad hoc battke group formed from shattered remnants of other units centred around the marine unit would account from the disparities. Similar to german army units in 1945, whermacht ,ss, hitler youth, foreign fighters, ost infantry and luftwaffe ground personnel, cobbled together from broken units and sent back to fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

These are made in Australia. In Afghanistan, 40 took hits from IEDs and not a single Australian serviceperson has been killed or seriously injured while in one.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭ShayNanigan

Did anyone notice the sentence at the end of this article?

"The Russian Embassy here has also expressed to the Department of Foreign Affairs that Russian people living in Ireland feel unsafe and discriminated against as a result of the war in Ukraine."

Oh no you don't... Not the same old plot again. The classic "please come and make us feel secure with your peace keeping mission" line. I'd take it seriously. Then again, what is anyone going to do. The country doesn't even have a proper defence forces or equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭brickster69

New sanctions announced. Counter sanctions coming in 3..2...1

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Good news if its a KA-52 or MI-28, not so great news if its a MI-8 or something. Or maybe its the lad who got taken out by the Anti-Tank missile?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭threeball

And still you have the fcuking cowards trembling in the corner about a possible nuclear war. I'm sorry but if that's the price we pay for stopping the rape of three year olds then that's what we pay. We're a sick fcuking species. Those who are too self interested to want to stand up to it are as sick as the rapists themselves.

I have never done anything except say that I disagree with all of Russia's actions. I've said that on multiple occasions. I don't feel a need to reinforce those statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Proper order, they can always leave if they don't like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

He's been there for the last 8 years since the first invasion by Russia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Not doubting you, but there is a video over 5 minutes long after the first batch of pows go through the nex group are wearing red bands on there arm or in there hands over there heads,.

Thought the Russians wore red or rebels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Not true (on the "imaginary posters who support Russia") sadly. There are lots of such accounts here on this website (whether they do what they do because they actually support Russia & Putin or for other reasons isn't always clear of course, but doesn't really matter in the end as regards their actions & the effect).

There's a big list of them on page 1 that got removed from the thread.

One (as a reader) would have probably had to endure perhaps 1 x somewhat anger inducing "actors" or "faked by the Ukrainian Neo-Nazis" post from each one of them about Russia's activities in occupied areas in north of Ukraine over the last few days (or else put them on ignore) if they hadn't been kicked.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Czech Republic becomes the first country to sent tanks to Ukraine. They have also offered to refit and repair damaged Ukrainian equipment.

Putin is continuing to push to see how long this loose western alliance will stay together and its fraying at the edges already. Germany, Austria and France will take little ot no pain on gas or oil.

We'll do very little here but send a sympathy card and hope the population stands up as usual to carry the refugee influx. We won't even expel diplomats who lie about the rape and murder of children.

The British are happy to send limited arms but not take refugees. Every country is putting itself first.

Putin sees it and knows if he can go a while longer the whole lot will fall apart. He'll have a weak, divided Europe and then he'll turn the screw.

It's hard to fathom how weak we've been and the potential consequences of this weakness.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

What arms are the Brits not sending that other countries are?

The Pillars of the EU: Germany, France, The Netherlands etc, are happy to collude with a country that now poses an existential threat to Europe. They thought and hoped that the Ukraine would collapse within days of invasion.

The Brits and Yanks trained and helped the Ukranians hold out

Tells you everything you need to know about the lie that the EU is

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

So you'd be prepared to pay the price of a million three year olds being vapourised and millions more dying horrible deaths from burns and radiation sickness and starvation with their families and all those around them across a large part of this planet? Seems a balanced view alright.

Are you talking about Russians in general living here? They're all invasion supporters now, even the ones who aren't? Not because of their views, but simply because they're Russian? Their children born and bred here. Single them out too? Because that's the rocky path you're starting down G. And people remain shocked how such idiotic blind partisan nastiness kicks off elsewhere or in the past, even when they're happy to espouse it close to home and in the present.

Like I said earlier it's remarkably easy to get even otherwise intelligent people go down dark roads they'd be horrified to witness somewhere else with someone else and would rightfully call it out.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Seems this is now Russias next move, to get troops from the south and north to push towards Dnipro. If they make progress Ukrainian troops on the front line in Donbas will have to consider a tactical retreat west or else they could end up completely encircled between Dnipro and the Donbass. As the war moves further east it also means Ukraines supply lines get substantially longer. They can though move some troops from Kyiv to the east as if Russia comes back for a second bite the Ukrainians will get advance warning of a Russian troop build up from US intelligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭wandererz

• Registered Users Posts: 40,006 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

That would be the glass half empty assessment.

In reality if the Ukrainians are supplied with the right and enough weaponry they will decimate the Russian army in Ukraine, unthinkable 6 weeks ago.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Ukrainians pull out of the "peace talks" in the next week or 2 as the full horrors of what has gone on in the past 40 odd days come to light.

It will be the catalyst for the West to pony up the proper tools to finish the job.

As shocking as the images are coming out of Ukraine, no one in US or Uk intelligence is surprised by them.

It was expected.

It's absolutely terrifying.

People, who I assume are functioning members of society and can vote, are calling people cowards because they fear a nuclear war.

That was an absolutely unhinged post.

(cue the "oh so you support children being raped" responses)

• Advertisement

"(cue the "oh so you support children being raped" responses)"

Right on cue.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I still can't fathom why Russia didn't do this in the first place. Invade, ignore the west of Ukraine for being too far from their supply lines(which was evident in the first days), take the "independent states" in the east, being on their border and closeness to supplies, where they would find not much but more local support and something they would have had far more success with even with their amateur hour keystone cops military. It would have likely set off an even bigger internal displacement of Ukrainians than their meddling in the Donbas has and would likely have resulted in less pushback from the rest of the world. IMHO that's shows just how stupid their military planners and putin are.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

"Ukraine Update: Kyiv Warns Russia Is Adding Troops in Moldova" https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-04-02/ukraine-update-u-s-sending-additional-military-aid-to-kyiv

Moldova should invite some foreign forces in to do military exercises in their territory of Transnistria.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Taking this as an opportune moment for a misguided and pathetic jibe at the EU does not reflect particularly well on you, particularly given Ukraine's desire to join said lie is a factor in the invasion of their country.

What's the delay. I said this weeks ago and the Ukranians have had to endure untold misery while we tiptoe around a psychopath. This was never going to be any other way. Give them what was needed immediately.

Are we afraid of crossing Putins red lines when we don't even know where those lines are and they change on a daily basis. We could do zero and still cross a perceived line in his mind. All we do is embolden and enable him.

I have been having tractor towing prey withdrawal symptoms. Thankfully this showed up.

More of a tea man myself. And apparently happy to see three year olds die by the dozen while adding the milk* While you're apparently perfectly fine with the prospect of three year olds dying by the millions so you can impotently vent your anger. Now I'm not great with the oul sums in general, but dozens versus millions and I'm the one out of balance "buddy"? Right so.

*clear proof I'm not a Russki. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

If I was them I'd be looking to join too, very hard to trade with Europe when you're not in the cartel.

But the central tenet in the European project, the high minded ideal that we have been lectured upon by social democrats for decades, was peace and security in Europe. Now we see it was all just about enrichment. The likes of Merkel and Macron enabled Vlad and continue to do so, in the hope that all this will blow over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

The UK hasn't done anything that has been of any disadvantage to itself economically. Yes, they have sent arms at a relatively nominal cost. They have not taken many refugees which would actually cost them significantly. The reason they are not using Russian gas is because they have their own and they are too far away for the pipeline rather than any principled stance against Putin. They have facilitated the oligarchs money laundering for decades.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement