Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Good point but every layer of taxes is extra waste.

If state building could cut out a few billion in taxes from going:

-> revenue -> local authorities -> bidding on houses/HAP/lease agreements

Then its a good thing. High prices and high taxes lead to high amounts of money wasted

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

If you think for one minute that just because social houses are built the government will stop bidding on existing houses then I am afraid that you will be disappointed. There was a report the other day about the issue of apartment blocks been bought on mass causing ghettos because there is little mix of owners and private tenants and social tenants. The only way around that is buy houses in areas with low social housing.

if SF have the answers then they should be able to explain in detail their solution as opposed to sound bites just giving out. Likewise there plan is to increase taxes not reduce them so I just don’t see how it all fits together and just see it as smoke and mirrors.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

How many Irish social housing estates are in fact ghettos. Is it a case of the noisiest being the "voice of all". Would it be an exaggeration to say half our city stock was initially social housing

The difference then was in composition of social housing - it was mostly working class not welfare class.

Plenty of towns all over the country have rows upon rows of houses all social housing from 50s-70s, most are quite nice established areas.

Its not state ownership that makes these places bad, its who is prioritised for social housing nowadays. Give lower income working people priority and the ghettoisation is no longer a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭PommieBast

@Bass Reeves

When you go looking for planning ya they want iy. A lot of C and D rated houses have nearly as low running costs as an A rated house.

To me the whole rating system is a bit of a joke. Seems to be some formula that takes window size and a few other tick-list items such as heat source, rather than attempting to measure things like heat loss.

• Advertisement

Thank you, you emphasise my point for a decade on these threads.

A significant build by the state would replicate that success with a focus on working people that are currently gouged by high rents. Housing would then be a source of income rather than a black hole for the state. Economy booms as competitiveness is restored and citizens have a little bit more spending power.

Everybody wins, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,469 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Source of income you say?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/dublin-city-council-owed-38m-in-unpaid-rent-1.4781829

All these things are fixable with the right processes. If your handing out below market rate housing you can add a few terms and conditions. Nod, wink

council houses resolved the previous housing crisis but will the housing be for working class or people unable to get on the housing ladder for whatever reason. This is never debated. If the housing was open to anyone regardless of income then the argument of having to pay taxes for the welfare class goes out the window. But this will never be debated despite it having solved previous housing crisis when implemented by previous governments.

Can you really add terms and condition in this day and age when it will be interpreted as discrimination.

e.g. You wouldn’t be able to remove a drug dealer without them being prosecuted by the courts…even then you would be discriminating against people who have spent time in jail….not paying rent is a minor issue in comparison.

The only Nod wink involved would be in paying ‘security’ to some drug dealer for not burning out the houses being built by the council like what had been happening around the country for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭enricoh

I see the housing minister is meeting builders next week regarding accommodation for Ukrainian refugees. I reckon there will be a lot of builders binning the house building and going at refugee accommodation instead. Less supply n invariably higher prices to come-

Housing Minister Darragh O’Brien will hold an emergency summit of key stakeholders from the construction industry, estate agents and other bodies next week to discuss the medium to longer term response

• Registered Users Posts: 68,676 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's a decent amount of construction effort currently deployed in offices and hotels; with the former in much lower demand due to WFH and the latter massively cooled off and plenty of proposals up for sale as sites+planning going on the property pages of the IT/SBP.

The expertise in those sectors would also be more suited for rapid build type projects.

council houses resolved the previous housing crisis but will the housing be for working class or people unable to get on the housing ladder for whatever reason

Is there a difference between these 2 cohorts you mention? Certainly the qualification income limits need review in light of current property prices and lack of affordability. Increased supply would also cool both rental and price inflation

Of course certain candidates should be prioritised such as essential workers that need to be physically present at their workplace. Dress it up as a reward to those that kept the show on the road during lockdowns.

There should be no income limits full stop.... If housing is to be provided then it should be provided for all on a pro-rata basis including the middle income who pay most of the tax in the country..... By just providing to one section of the population you breed resentment. If this was done you could build large scale 'social/affordable' housing projects and would have a wider cross section of the population. If middle income or high income workers choose not to avail of the housing and purchase elsewhere then that is their choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭J_1980

Rates are jumping higher in the US and aso in Europe.

irish 10y now 1.30%, hope this hits 2% thisnyear. This whole “big government” needs to come to an end to fix the housing market.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,307 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...so we should allow the market to solve it, yea?

There should be a higher cut off income for it (high enough you could afford a mortgage), but below that its simply means tested rents. But again, this would require actual enforcement of non-payments & evictions, which is the reason for such massive arrears in social housing. People who decidedly can afford to pay (the rent is means tested), but choose not to.

what if some renters simply cannot afford to pay their rents, maybe we need to increase welfare, and deduct rent from source?

public housing should be build for professionals that are simply caught between unable to rent or purchase, but these properties should never be sold into the private market

Rent is means tested so that almost everyone can afford it, even if on welfare alone

Deducting rent from welfare directly would be a good idea, stop chancers from withholding.

means tested to whos means or whos standards?

i think its the only way to deal with none payments, but welfare would also need to be increased to at least the same amount of rent, but ideally higher, as this would benefit the economy directly, due to the increase in money spent into it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I see landlords now required to register tenancies every year. I assume they will be charged a fee for that hassle too.

Death by a thousand cuts. But no point keeping cutting after they are already dead.

if we dont start introducing protective measures for everyone, including landlords, the whole system will completely collapse

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

It has already collapsed. There is no fixing it now. This is the Titanic.

i disagree there to a point, we re obviously in serious trouble regarding property, but there are some potentially good solutions out there, our political system is just stuck, unwilling or able to implement them, but this wont be easy to resolve, and it ll take years, if not decades

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭J_1980

Yes.

we haven’t had any free markets in property for as long as I remember.

the UK central London market is probably the closest: no rent controls, quick planning permission without nimbyism of the shires, decent landlord rights, largely irrelevant social housing provisions for builders that just adds costs onto the working population, no HAP equivalent support due to social rent caps that disqualify most of central London.

the result in central London apartment market: abundance of supply (due to unlimited money pouring in, i.e. battersea, east london etc), stale rents since pretty much 2007, it takes a decade to fix it but London flats are starting to become very affordable in rent and price for local salaries ( and are actually really cheap compared to most other cities). Rents in luxury markets are probably down 10% since 2010 despite massive salary increases across the board. Ousting Ken Livingstone was the key + 12 years of Tory rule.

...and one of the most expensive markets on the planet, whereby most locals are unable to purchase, leaving it to the wealthy to do so.... go gentrification!

NEXT!!!

Such a scenario which I wouldn't be opposed to would mean that the social/affordable housing policy would be extremely successful and self financing similar to the Dutch model

Demand will always be greater than supply for such housing.

Is it illegal to credit check a new customer?

Could one ask in the application form the preferred method of payment?

Could one offer a discount by using deduction from source income citing reduction in administrative costs as the reason?

Could one secretly prioritise applicants that tick the positive boxes

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭dubal

Seems the only fair solution. The current prospect of middle income tax payers having no home and paying for someone else to have one with their tax can't work and will only alienate people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭keoclassic

Your dead right, as a middle earner with no home, I feel like I'm being used a worker bee for the state. As I've pointed to in other forums, we are being fleeced for all we have and are expected to house the working class, which in part I'm not massively bothered about! But the long term welfare class can get fu@ked as far as I'm concerned and that pri@k of a housing minister with them. He's having meetings about building accommodation for refugees while current net tax contributors of the country are priced out of housing. Angry isn't what I am at the moment. Its a feeling of resent and being marginalised and I don't use strong words like that loosely. The policy of this government is to treat us home seekers with utter contempt, over inflating everything with cheap fu@kin money, with little benefit seen by people in my position, and there are hundreds of thousands of us between 25 and 40. House the refugees to look good but our own lads can keep paying rent, they are doing everything in the power to keep the prices rising and demand through the roof!

Advertisement