Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,006 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The Moon orbits the Earth - it was always thus.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,187 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Makes me absolutely sickening to see the Russians having a place in the UN

They should dissolve the UN and start a new without Russia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

Well, that is a shock.

Imagine if he could be 'deprogrammed'. Then stood up and said 'my Ukrainian friend across the floor is stating the absolute truth. We started this war for no reason other than imperial ambition and a desire to subjugate a people who wanted nothing more than the right to a better future. Our army has committed thousands of cases of torture, rap and murder - and we will kill anyone who we feel like.'

'ah, a cup of tea, why thank you Madame Deputy Ambassad - clunk'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

People "returning" refugees are absolute dickheads. Probably the same tools that took in dogs for lockdown and gave them back afterwards.

Use your brains people before you commit. It's not going to be a **** overnight stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

The nuclear question is always going to come up if Putin stays in power. If he decides that he needs Moldova, the Baltic States or Poland it will have to be addressed.

I think it should be addressed now rather than waiting and potentially throwing thousands of more Europeans into the Russian meat grinder. I think NATO should declare they will now protect Ukraine and all Russian forces need to leave the territory in 24 hours or they will be directly engaged and dealt with. Its time to call Putin and his entourages bluff. Yes there is a risk but I believe the risk is greater the longer we let this situation fester.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

I think you might be taking that out of context. I am just sick of hearing about how the UK are doing so much by sending some NLAWs over. The point about Iraq is really that they have provided Russian/Chinese propagandists with a kind of "the west do it too". We all get tarred with that as part of the "West".

I am aware of what is going on in Ukraine. We (my wife and myself) are helping refugees in our town. They are not coping very well at all. It isn't something that I heard about on the news, I have met many people who have fled the war. Most of them are women with kids, their husbands are over fighting. I admire them enormously and am in complete awe of their willingness to fight. We should help them out as much as we can, if they lose it will be a huge loss for all of us. I also think it is the prelude to the coming struggle (not war) with China for global supremacy. If China wins we will have an authoritarian government answerable to nobody as a world leader which I think would be tragic.

This whole situation has highlighted one thing and that's the UN needs updating.

It served its purpose of ensuring peace after the worst war the world had ever seen but it is not fit for purpose now. To be truly effective the whole veto system on the security council needs to go as do the permanent members of the council. Then maybe the injustices around the globe can truly be dealt with and not blocked by a permanent member because it doesn't suit their strategic goals.

• Advertisement

"What are we missing; there has to be a trick to it...?"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,516 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Apparently, a Russian soldier who was in Bucha has been bragging on his own page on the Russian social media platform VK about killing people there and threatening to kill more in coming weeks (not the brightest of sparks obviously, for a variety of reasons).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭threeball

But you all seem so sure we're heading for nuclear war if we do anything bar supply "defensive weapons". Putin said "Whoever tries to interfere with us, and even more so to create threats for our country, for our people should know that Russia’s response will be immediate and will lead to such consequences that you have never experienced in your history". Well the west have already crossed that line and nothing happened. So what makes everyone so sure that arming the Ukrainians properly will result in Nuclear war. Its the least they deserve after what they have endured and are enduring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭liamtech

And later still

Breaking News: Ukraine Navy now possess numerous Borei Class Nuclear Submarines!

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

EU countries and others may have but NATO has not. Geopolitics is as much about action as optics. I don't think anyone is predicting nuclear war but a broadening of the conflict is still just one stupid mistake away. The genuine concern remains that a now tinpot country with a massive land mass, an economy smaller than Italy's, a crap military but nuclear weapons still might resort to using them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

The Czech obviously remember 68.

A pity the Hungarians don't remember 56.

It is so obvious that once again it is Central and Eastern European (will count Sweden in this as well) member of EU that are driving EU sanctions.

If it was up to likes of French and Germans we would still be dealing with Russia.

After all Macron likes to chat to him and the Germans don't want to get cold. 🙄

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Addmagnet

Are you talking about Russians in general living here? They're all invasion supporters now, even the ones who aren't? Not because of their views, but simply because they're Russian? Their children born and bred here. Single them out too? 

Just wanted to highlight your comment here to say it put me in mind of the US Internment of Japanese Americans. Not a road any country in the world should ever want to walk again, imo.

• Advertisement

Seriously John Deere need to start finding out how well they have hacked their kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,516 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

One of the bizarre aspects of the Russian media denials of atrocities is that they 'are' showing the destruction in Ukraine at the same time (as part of their denials). What the hell are Russian viewers and readers thinking when they see all the destroyed buildings, roads and infrastructure? So much for their sham "special operation" - every image shown looks like the destroyed Europe of 1945.

Every major NATO member has sent "defensive weapons" (somehow C-RAMS weren't considered defensive but thats another days argument). They may not have been sent in the name of nato but nato members sent them. Just like they should now send guided missiles. Mounted anti-aircraft units, helicopter gunships and planes. The upsides are numerous

Beat back the Russian invaders and put them back on their arse for a decade

Stop war crimes immediately

Allow some sort of normality to return which would allow Ukrainian farmers get back to farming and producing food which will prevent crisis elesewhere such as north africa.

The potential to inject huge money into the Ukrainian economy by buying their gas and oil whilst elevating the pressures on countries like Germany.

Its a far better risk reward than the opposite.

Should be done across Europe. Any supporters of these nazis should be deported back to that sh1thole immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There will be no aircraft sent as that is a direct provocation. Anything else goes though. I admire your optimism that this could be so neatly wrapped up. 40+ days of chaos suggest this has a good way to go regardless of what's sent. We are moving away from fossil fuel in the EU anyway so any such future deals look very unlikely.

He is not just a comedian.

He has a law degree from Kyiv University, he helped establish a successful production company making films, cartoons, and TV shows including one which starred him as someone catapulted into the presidency.

His father is a professor and department head in a University Computer Cybernetics department and his mother was an engineer.

His grandfather rose to rank of colonel in Red Army in WWII.

The guy comes with a pedigree and his understanding of using media as a weapon is one of the most obvious things of this war.

Somebody put up Gaddafi's speech to the UN a couple of days back.

Now call him what you want, he spoke a hell of a lot of truth in that speech.

The UN has long been a farce that is controlled by the security council which means the big players never get sanctioned and that includes both Western and Eastern major powers.

They ran away from Rwanda and likeswise in Bosnia.

And the ones that got blamed were the troops and their commanders on the ground. (there is even story of returning troops after one of those awful step a side missions supposedly dumping their UN berets on the ground and walking on them as a show of non-respect for the UN)

The decisions were made in New York with input from all the major security council members.

• Advertisement

We need to get expelling, we're falling behind in the League!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement