Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transgender man wins women's 100 yd and 400 yd freestyle races.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Liberty_Bear

“This evidence that human brains cannot be categorised into two distinct classes is new, convincing, and somehow radical,” says Anelis Kaiser at the University of Bern, Switzerland.

Read more: https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn28582-scans-prove-theres-no-such-thing-as-a-male-or-female-brain/#ixzz7PESCBCdK

That quote though flies in the face of what you pretty much say , if we are a mosaic of pieces then if qualifies people as non binary and even widens the spectrum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,686 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The swimmer in the thread title is genetically and chromosomally and physically and until recently fully hormonally a man. They went through puberty and were a man until they turned twenty years of age, than by virtue of magical pixie dust say they're a woman and voila! go from meh, to medal winner. A total bloody farce.

@Wibbs that would be virtue of Gender Dysmorphia, wouldn't it?

I think we should, respectfully, take a step back, because - not attacking your whole school of thought precisely- just noticing the arguments being made here are very reminiscent of the stigmatization of mental health issues which carries on to this day, but would be very noticeable to us in hindsight over the past several decades, where Depression was viewed as an Excuse, not a Disease. I'd like to treat the topic more objectively than this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Homelander

What you've quoted is entirely a matter of physicality and is precisely the core of the debate.

What comparison you've drawn is nothing to do with that.

No-one is generally denying that trans women are women, in the context of this debate. A lot of people deny that it's fair that people like the woman the thread is about compete with biological women.

It's extremely simple and really, most of the debate seeks to muddy the waters and make that simple issue into something incredibly complex when it's not.

I hear you, but still don’t believe it is that simple, unless someone is looking for simplicity within a set of basic constraints. I’ll demur; some folks just want to talk about it like sports referees, where it may be much simpler, some want to go at it like geneticists, where it may be more complex others like philosophers or - sigh, politicians, trolls and gaslighters (None of which I am ascribing to you)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

...and makes a nonsense of your brain trapped in the wrong body argument. Widening the "spectrum" is more about muddying the waters to back up a politic and credo that must not be questioned, or the screeching kicks off. An easy out, channeling the fallacy of "well it's all so subjectively diffuse, y'know. There's no real truth", so I can quite reasonably identify as a two spirit beehive named Klaatu who likes spiritual crystals. AKA utter bollocks.

Or body dysmorphia or any number of mental illnesses. Or actually Transgender. We leap to the latter, on pain of censure if we don't. And I hate to break it to you OH, depression in some forms can be used as an "excuse". It can be a symptom of that terrible illness.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Unless you are suggesting that Depression is an excuse in all its forms, then, I'm not sure how helpful that is. Reducing the conversation down to pixie dust and saying 'so and so just want an excuse to win a trophy' etc. also reduces everyone else in the populace the brush is being stoked against.

I find it somewhat ironic that you have argued that it is coming from the opposite end of a spectrum however what you have done is spun it to fit in with your own politics. Im doing my best (and im trying to be impartial but struggling) to see the information without confirmation bias. I share a concern that there is a matter with muscle definition within those who were formerly men but transitioned. That common ground we all share. The approach you had reminds me of the argument till the late 80's. Homosexual were seen as degenerates, paedos, corrupted and were held in the same esteem as trans people are held today. Science acknowledges that those who are trans/non binary (I struggle with non binary but Im prepared to accept it on face value as its just easier to and even if I am wrong there is zero harm really) have higher rates of suic8ide from those who criticise the it as being non legitimate. From what your posts are on this thread there is an element of demagoguery. I pointed to that study which fully explains that there is a wide spectrum of people along of various genders. In the New Scientist article which I should have also pointed out was

"Even so, Joel’s findings can be used to help many people understand the non-binary nature of gender, says Barker. After all, some people don’t identify as either male or female, and others feel their gender identity shift over time. “It’s a shame that people’s experience alone isn’t enough for us to recognise as a society that non-binary gender is legitimate.”

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Slight problem with your argument is nowhere have I equated being Trans with degenerate, corrupted, paedos. Nor would I. Nor did I hold those views back in the day when it was "fashionable" to think and too often speak those thoughts about Gay people.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

And with all due respect and fairness you didnt say that however the esteem to which your posts speak of Trans people are reminiscent of what gay men had to live with until the 80s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Something I don't understand about this "it's all a spectrum" argument, is why it's seen as so offensive to transgender people to imply that they aren't binary themselves? Aren't they part of this spectrum?

I mean, if it's so unacceptable to someone like Emily Bridges, who was still winning races in the male category only a matter of weeks ago, to suggest they should just continue competing in the male section, why is it not offensive to nonbinary people that there is no special trans/nonbinary section for them? Presumably they don't fit in either the male or female category?

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls@UNSRVAW "Very concerned about these statements by the IOC at Paris2024 There are multiple international treaties and national constitutions that specifically refer to#women and their fundamental rights to equality and non-discrimination, so the world has a pretty good idea of what women -and men for that matter- are. Also, how can one assess whether fairness and justice has been reached if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

The brain of a woman post was shown to be absolute horse shyte.

"Men and women's brains do differ slightly, but the key finding is that these distinctions are due to brain size, not sex or gender," Dr. Eliot said. "Sex differences in the brain are tiny and inconsistent, once individuals' head size is accounted for."

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2021/03/210325115316.htm

Why is it seen as offensive to belittle someone constantly you mean? Have people constantly question your existence? Why was it so offensive to Blacks to imply they have smaller brains if they do better at sports? Why don’t we have an all black league so whites can’t compete fairly in basketball? Same damn argument for equality basically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭plodder

Personally, I think at the pointy end of competitive sport, it should be based on sex chromosomes and anyone with a Y chromosome should be in the male, or open category if that's what we want to call it now. Competing with his own sex seems to work for Iszac Henig. Presumably, it doesn't impact his gender identity, so why can't it work for other top trans athletes? Trans people know what sex they are so there shouldn't be any surprises. Obviously the hard cases are the hitherto unknown intersex people like Caster Semenya. But a lot more is known about DSDs now than when she was born. One hopes DSDs would be detected a lot sooner nowadays. Maybe sport at a participative level could develop in parallel along lines other than sex/gender. There has to be many ways to make it work.

"Black men, well they can run faster and jump higher, plus their penises are huuuuge, let's put them in their own Negro Leagues"

It's a century apart, but history has informed me we are just playing out a cycle again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Do you agree with segregating mens and womens sports?

On what grounds?

Frankly I wish it would. We all pee the same color. We all bleed the same color.

What? Do you or dont you agree with separate competitions for men and women in sport?

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

Have there been any open-gender competitions to see how men and women fair against each other in different sports? If people want to take away the gender based categories I think we at least need a proof of concept on a smaller scale to see that everything won't go horribly wrong.

So there should be no separate womens' category or competitions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,037 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

For the vast majority of sports there's no need to run a test, we have decades of results to go by.

https://boysvswomen.com/#/

This pits teenage boys against the 2016 Olympic finalists.

Things like the 5000m make it look like women would have a chance, but it's just because of course elite adult women distance runners would have more stamina and better times than teenage boys, the men's finals worst time is still a minute faster than the women's winning time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Black men were kept out of "main stream sports" in America because of racism and a prejudice against them, the argument for excluding trans people is the protection of women's spaces in sports and keeping them fair as much as possible. To link them just seems like a desperate hail Mary argument.

How are you defining agreement, because I thought my answer got right to the point.

"Horribly Wrong?" like a kaiju attack or God's wrath against the gay agenda?

There should be open competitions. I'm not suggesting a ban on the right to peaceably assemble

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

Yeah clearly that's the concern. Here's someone asking the hard hitting questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

What has trans athletes got to do with gay people?

Okay. So Overheal you advocate for abolishing seperate mens and womens competitions and having them all compete together.

Do you recognise that this effectively would eliminate all women participants from sport as men would win almost every event? As evidenced by historical records of finishing times between current segregated mens and womens sports. Men consistently outperform women in almost every event by a wide margin, so having them compete together simply means men competing and women are kept out.

Again, am I right in thinking you support this?

There should be open competitions. I'm not suggesting a ban on the right to peaceably assemble

Is a women's only event (not trans-women) not a peaceful assembly? But you would disagree with that?

Quite apart from the entirely false equivalence you're making there (because brain size is not related to intelligence, for one thing - unlike muscle mass and bone structure, which are related to physical performance), you seem to be responding to a post I didn't make.

My question wasn't about trans people, it was about non binary people. Or are you saying they don't exist?

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls@UNSRVAW "Very concerned about these statements by the IOC at Paris2024 There are multiple international treaties and national constitutions that specifically refer to#women and their fundamental rights to equality and non-discrimination, so the world has a pretty good idea of what women -and men for that matter- are. Also, how can one assess whether fairness and justice has been reached if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Advertisement

Again, you seem to be having a dialogue in your own head here because I can't see the equivalence with what anyone else is saying. Are you claiming that the physical differences between men and women are comparable in their effects to physical differences between black people and white people? That seems quite racist to me.

Advertisement