Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Prices going up lads!

Dear EV Driver,

We are writing to let you know of upcoming changes to our pricing system that will take effect on Thursday 5th May. These changes are driven by the unprecedented and ongoing increases in energy costs over the past 12 months. 

• There will be an increase on transactions across all our payment plans when you charge your electric vehicle (EV) using the ESB public charging network in Ireland. The new pricing will come into effect on Thursday 5th May
    • Charging in Northern Ireland will continue to be free to use in the short term while we continue our comprehensive network upgrade programme.

Standard Charging (up to 22kW, €/kWh) €0.39 / €0.35

Fast Charging (23-50kW, €/kWh) €0.45 / €0.41

High Power Charging (51-150kW, €/kWh) €0.48 / €0.44

Monthly Subscription €4.99

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Overstay going up to €8 for DC charging. Being implemented for AC. €8 penalty after 10 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

If ever a picture showed how utterly useless eCars are...

eCars & Ionity both have 4 spaces each in Gorey, M11

Ionity: 4 cars can DC charge simultaneously , eCars: 1 car can DC charge.

Would they not just throw a 2nd DC unit into those 2nd 2 spaces?? even another 50kW unit (the one they removed from the looney in Waterford), or how about one of those 4 cable 200kW units, or even a 2 plug 150kW unit?? Do that, and that's pretty much the M11 boxed off, done, and they'd hardly ever have to go near it again... There's got to be ample grid supply there thanks to the Ionity connection.

Similar story in Castlebellingham Northbound;

And Southbound;

both sites with Tesla Superchargers so surely grid connection is already there...

It's the lowest of low hanging fruit, and would drastically improve the network on 2 key routes.

Enfield Westbound;

Enfield Eastbound;

There's already 5 sites (and I'm sure there's a load more), that could easily be upgraded with minimal effort from eCars.

Whats the catch? Is it AppleGreen not letting them replace chargers that they removed years ago? or are they just that useless....

They've just increased pricing now from May 5th onwards....

Ouch!!

but then also this little gem;

Edit: only realised the lads beat me too it as I was too long doing my rant post above....

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

Just got that email from ecars too. Not surprising considering the wholesale increases over the last few years (and more so recently). Looks to be about a 25-28% increase across all their various products. I would expect EaseGo and others to follow suit, and possibly for them to start charging for their free stations too.

• Advertisement

That'll be a doozy for anyone overnight charging. Charger roulette trying to plug in as late as you can so you can unplug at a reasonable hour, but the later you leave it, the higher chance all the units will be occupied.

I get the impression that the electricity provided at the free stations are not paid for by easyGo. Lidl covers that bill. Actually, as far as I know EasyGo never pays for the electricity on site. The site owner pays for the electricity, and EasyGo refund them the costs incurred + whatever split of the profits they've agreed.

ie. EasyGo use an existing MPRN, ESB install a new MPRN.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Alkers

It's the same story at all the TII motorway service areas.

It was good foresight to accomodate the future expansion when these were put in but E-cars should really have installed the additional units by now.

In a lot of cases there actually were units there, albeit only AC units, but they were removed and that seems to be that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Its a 50% increase on standard destination chargers - and it should be 12hrs to allow overnight. Good chance the railway station chargers will now get much less use if anyone working late or missed train. €8 a bit high for a destination charger overstay.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Whats the catch? Is it AppleGreen not letting them replace chargers that they removed years ago? or are they just that useless....

That's the rumour, Applegreen don't want to allow a competitor to expand on their sites. They did the same at the Welcome Break sites in the UK, they've only recently started rolling out own brand chargers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

eCars increase was imminent, Tesla the outlier with their fees at present, always were cheaper than eCars despite better service, hopefully Ireland too small for attention from The Mothership

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

It was inevitable. I bet easygo will follow suit in the next days. Some still think it is free though. I don't understand why they didn't go for per minute overstay after some minutes. 45 mins seems quite a small figure in 2022. If all well 50% SOC addition. Both AC and DC overstay fees are a penalty for the lack of infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

That could be considered anti-competitive maybe ccpc would like a little memo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

It's like those painted spaces, they're coming "next week"

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

It's like YouTube removing dislikes. Don't fix the cause, just put in a half assed solution.

Having to bump the overstay fee and looking at incremental overstays suggests the overstay fees are not a solution. They're trying to price themselves out of saturated use, rather than provide a sufficient network.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

I agree the overstay at 45 mins does not make sense, should be overstay per minute like SuC sites.

I was charging my Car with 55Kwh (more or less) battery on a 50Kw ecars (old green one) charger - going by the car display, it was easily going to take over 45 mins to get to 100% (no home charger) so the extra 10-20 mins would have cost more than the first 45 mins... And that's without giving out about the single point of failure charger on the location.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭mag

ive always used my card with ecars but today was in a different car so tried to use my phone - when i was tapping my phone kept popping up google pay by default. is there a way to enable ecars card as rfid on android or was this a user error on my part?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

Has Tesla raised their prices in the UK or mainland Europe yet ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Tesla regularly update prices, but there's no website with costs, they can only be seen in the car or App

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,074 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

You open the app, find the charge point and then swipe the blue bar go the right to start the charge.

That's what I did the only time I've used the app.

I'm guessing as a Tesla owner you're seeing the Tesla rate and not the pleb rates?

I'm guessing Tesla haven't raised prices yet since it would be all over the headlines everywhere if they did

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Alkers

This is not the case at the TII sites in any case.

My guess is that ESB aren't putting 50kW units in the spaces because they might put a 150kW unit there instead

What they really should be doing is installing two of those 200kW units they have at Tuam

Joined to spread the good word. 🤣

Doubt anyone would agree that the price increase is good. Overstays fee increase maybe could be good (but IMO that's treating the symptom not the problem of a lack of chargers). Giving room for more competition to join the market?... maybe, but ESB will still be by far the cheapest.

What it does do is make owning an EV without a driveway even less appealing (the savings are much less from May). Petrol/Diesel prices change on the daily, and go up and down. Eventually they always trend up, but I guarantee electric car charging prices won't be decreased by ESB, they'll only ever go up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Which would be exactly the wrong way for Govt and ESB eCars to plan things.

Because if we move to EVs only in new cars then you are effectively saying some people who currently own cars can't have cars at all.

Charging networks should be for all EV drivers to use as needed regardless of whether you do 1 percent of charging in public or 100 percent.

The correct answer is an increased strengthened network that meets all requirements

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭wassie

No driveway- no EV IMO.?

I rarely use public chargers so I'd rather they be more available than cheap.

Rereg nonsense.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Applegreen have a 15 year license to operate the TII sites, they effectively control the site until the tender comes up for renewal.

What we'd need to know though is it AppleGreen blocking eCars installing more units at existing sites, or are eCars simply not interested in upgrading these sites?

I'm guessing it's the latter

(It would make sense for Applegreen to allow more chargers be installed, potentially meaning the sites get the required network upgrades on someone else's dollar, and then when the operating lease with eCars is up, kick them off site and install their own chargers).

• Advertisement

I don't think we'll ever find the true answer, but that's certainly the rumour. It also fits the pattern. We've not seen any eCars site upgrades at Applegreen sites such as the M1 service stations, Girdserve also ran into the same issue with Welcome Break sites in the UK, where they blocked expansion and recently started installing their own Applegreen branded chargers.

Advertisement